The "Dry Fit" Paradox

General Modelling discusion that doesn't fit into any of the other sections
Post Reply
User avatar
SMAddict66
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class
Posts: 315
Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2016 9:33 am
Location: Redditch, UK
England

The "Dry Fit" Paradox

Post by SMAddict66 »

I've had a stone in my modelling shoe for a while now and feel it's time to share the pain with the "ISM massive" in the hope that a problem shared .... :violin:

I'm in the midst of a Trumpeter 1/32 Swordfish build that is going together so far quite well, having recently completed two absolute pigs in Airfix's 1/48 Buccaneer and a Matchbox 1/12 Harley Davidson Electra Glide. I'm consciously mixing in a number of older kits in my build list to try and push my modelling skills and an area that really boils my p*ss, is the joy of dry fitting. Allow me to explain.

I really get the massive value that dry fitting presents around providing confidence that sub assemblies come together without adversely impacting subsequent steps and where problems occur, giving the opportunity to address those issues before committing to glue. But what I consistently find is that those models that benefit most from the dry fit process are precisely the ones that cannot, at least with my poor skills, be dry fitted sufficiently to evidence the benefit/problem.

The Harley had significant problems at the end of the build with panniers been out of alignment causing chrome bars that should have been attached at the end just not coming together. However the panniers could not be dry fitted as the internals of the engine that sat beneath were so small and numerous that dry fitting was just impossible without gluing them together :bash:. Working with the Swordfish, dry fitting is a dream and virtually unnecessary as it almost snaps together without glue.

So there we have the paradox, the models that benefit most from dry fitting are precisely the models that will not submit and give their secrets.

What are you tips and tricks to deal with the paradox?
Phil
On the bench - Trumpeter 1/32 Fairey Swordfish
Just off the bench - Airfix 1/48 Buccaneer S2B
Next on the bench - Airfix 1/48 EE Lightning F2A/F6
User avatar
Panzón
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Posts: 233
Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2020 1:52 pm
Location: Texas
United States of America

Re: The "Dry Fit" Paradox

Post by Panzón »

Alas, I have no tips or suggestions, but I do share your frustration, as I have had the same problem with some AMT car kits earlier this year :scratch:: . I've also come up against poor assembly instructions that, if the order of assembly is followed, create a situation where subsequent parts cannot be fit into place :wall: . I wish I had some solutions or suggestions to offer, but all I can do is commiserate, and ask the same question.
Mike Szwarc

My portfolio

On the workbench:
• 1:700 Yangtze River gunboat vignette from Aoshima's Katata/Hozu kit, and Niko's USS Luzon kit.

My stash

"This was the morning when Father, mending one hole in the thermos-flask, made three." ~ Dylan Thomas
User avatar
SMAddict66
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class
Posts: 315
Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2016 9:33 am
Location: Redditch, UK
England

Re: The "Dry Fit" Paradox

Post by SMAddict66 »

Panzón wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 4:34 pm Alas, I have no tips or suggestions, but I do share your frustration, as I have had the same problem with some AMT car kits earlier this year :scratch:: . I've also come up against poor assembly instructions that, if the order of assembly is followed, create a situation where subsequent parts cannot be fit into place :wall: . I wish I had some solutions or suggestions to offer, but all I can do is commiserate, and ask the same question.
Thanks for the thoughts Mike :thumb1: Clearly a kindred spirit.

One of the things I learned early on was not to follow the assembly instructions without looking ahead to try and make sure there wasn’t a trap waiting for me when I turned over the page :wall: . Just can’t get my thick head around how some of those assembly issues creep into the instructions though, but hey nobody’s perfect.

Be interesting to see what others on the forum think.
Phil
On the bench - Trumpeter 1/32 Fairey Swordfish
Just off the bench - Airfix 1/48 Buccaneer S2B
Next on the bench - Airfix 1/48 EE Lightning F2A/F6
User avatar
jchrisf
First Sergeant
First Sergeant
Posts: 532
Joined: Mon May 07, 2018 2:43 pm
Location: Melbourne, FL
United States of America

Re: The "Dry Fit" Paradox

Post by jchrisf »

I'm sure you've seen this guy but I recently did and find his builds facinating. I want to tape one up someday when I become a more experience builder. He told me it takes him about 8 hours to totally build one with tape first. He fits everything perfectly as he goes.
Chris

Previous Build: Revell Joey Saldana Sprint Car

Current Build: Monogram Frank Iaconio Chevy Camero Pro-Stock

Next Build: ?
User avatar
RangerNeil
Major
Major
Posts: 4745
Joined: Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:42 pm
Location: Dagenham
Contact:
Great Britain

Re: The "Dry Fit" Paradox

Post by RangerNeil »

I can relate to this issue from past - and sometimes bitter - experience. A dry run is essential to ensure all goes as it should. AModel kits are the worst I've found for not fitting as the book says - normally due to parts warping. Zvezda and Trumpeter, on the other hand are usually pretty good.
Currently I have an old Moebius kit on the board - the original series Galactica. Assembly basically comprises making up 8 sub assemblies then putting them all together. It sounds simple - and should be. Reality is far different. Dry runs on 4 of the assemblies revealed a LOT of clamping and subsequent filling to be required to get them into the shape required which in turn meant the overall assembly could not be completed until after all 8 were fully built. When eventually I could carry out a dry run of the sub assemblies as one, putting all 8 together, the gaps and void were horrific - the photos below are after nigh on a weeks work fettling various bit to get them to fit the best. Worst issues were mating surfaces that should have been dead flat but were actually domed - on both sides. So much so that I had to stop removing material for there to be enough left to join the parts with adhesive....... And yet the new series Galactica I built prior to this went together like a dream...
I wish I could come up with a suggestion from all this to make it better but all I have experienced is the same as the original poster. It really seems to be luck of the draw with the kit manufacturer as to whether or not you can successfully do a dry build! :(

Image

Image
    Neil (yet another one...)

    On the board now:

    Airfix 1/35 Alvis Stalwart Mk2 FV622
    Hasegawa 1/48 A8 Crusader

    Scalemates stash info
    =58417&fkSTASHSTATUS[]=58417-Stash&page=stash]Scalemates Stash manager
    User avatar
    digger303
    General
    General
    Posts: 16667
    Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:01 am
    Location: Western Australia
    Australia

    Re: The "Dry Fit" Paradox

    Post by digger303 »

    Yep it's a bugger for sure and even if you could dry fit all the parts and have them all taped together. Which might be not too bad on a low part count kit, but when you have a kit that might have 900 parts that method seems impractical.
    Studying the instructions to at least 4 steps ahead and try to get a clear pic of the finished items for me has yielded the most hope. Not perfect, but the best I can do so far. Also slows down the build a lot, yet not as much time lost from pulling items apart.
    Listen and appear wise
    Image
    Image

    scalemates stash https://www.scalemates.com/profiles/mat ... ION[]=Kits
    Image
    User avatar
    Twokidsnosleep
    General
    General
    Posts: 18481
    Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:07 pm
    Location: BC,Canada
    Canada

    Re: The "Dry Fit" Paradox

    Post by Twokidsnosleep »

    Not much for me to add, you guys covered it well
    I like sub assemblies, I test fit a lot before paint and in primer
    Sometimes tape stuff up, but never an entire kit
    Scott

    On, Under or near the desk
    Mr Tamiya Memorial build...Alfa Romeo Bt-46
    User avatar
    Stokesy44
    Lieutenant General
    Lieutenant General
    Posts: 9093
    Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:13 am
    Location: The Midlands, UK
    Great Britain

    Re: The "Dry Fit" Paradox

    Post by Stokesy44 »

    I find tanks rarely need it and I don't dry fit aircraft other than when I'm going along. For example there's not a lot of point dry fitting the fuselage until all the bits that go in it are done and installed, not necessarily glued but fitted.

    I'm also very careful on kit selection. The FLY Hurricane I recently made was a short run kit and needed a lot of testing but for me its the exception to the rule as far as selection goes. I find manufacturers I can trust and select accordingly.

    If that makes me a builder as opposed to a modeller I can live with that. I've been called worse, trust me :th:
    Its been tried and tested, it works! So don't blame the system if you're no good. :doh:
    Hawkmoon
    Chief Warrant Officer 3
    Chief Warrant Officer 3
    Posts: 2121
    Joined: Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:19 pm
    England

    Re: The "Dry Fit" Paradox

    Post by Hawkmoon »

    I generally read and study the instructions for around a week before commiting to a build and prefere the sub-assembly rout most times. I have never felt the need to do the tape build bit but always do the dry fit method.
    User avatar
    SMAddict66
    Sergeant First Class
    Sergeant First Class
    Posts: 315
    Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2016 9:33 am
    Location: Redditch, UK
    England

    Re: The "Dry Fit" Paradox

    Post by SMAddict66 »

    jchrisf wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 11:52 pm I'm sure you've seen this guy but I recently did and find his builds facinating. I want to tape one up someday when I become a more experience builder. He told me it takes him about 8 hours to totally build one with tape first. He fits everything perfectly as he goes.
    Wow @jchrisf that guy is indeed a bit of a dry fit fan. Nice to see him dealing with minor fit issues, rather than cleaning up items off the sprue and everything just fitting.

    RangerNeil wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:22 am I can relate to this issue from past - and sometimes bitter - experience. A dry run is essential to ensure all goes as it should. AModel kits are the worst I've found for not fitting as the book says - normally due to parts warping. Zvezda and Trumpeter, on the other hand are usually pretty good.
    Currently I have an old Moebius kit on the board - the original series Galactica. Assembly basically comprises making up 8 sub assemblies then putting them all together. It sounds simple - and should be. Reality is far different. Dry runs on 4 of the assemblies revealed a LOT of clamping and subsequent filling to be required to get them into the shape required which in turn meant the overall assembly could not be completed until after all 8 were fully built. When eventually I could carry out a dry run of the sub assemblies as one, putting all 8 together, the gaps and void were horrific - the photos below are after nigh on a weeks work fettling various bit to get them to fit the best. Worst issues were mating surfaces that should have been dead flat but were actually domed - on both sides. So much so that I had to stop removing material for there to be enough left to join the parts with adhesive....... And yet the new series Galactica I built prior to this went together like a dream...
    I wish I could come up with a suggestion from all this to make it better but all I have experienced is the same as the original poster. It really seems to be luck of the draw with the kit manufacturer as to whether or not you can successfully do a dry build! :(

    Image

    Image
    Must say @RangerNeil looks as though all that fettling gave you a wonderful opportunity to sharpen up your filler skills.

    So summarising @Digger303, @Twokidsnosleep, @Stokesy44 and @Hawkmoon, all believe dry fitting has value but no silver bullet is available to deal with the variability of manufacturers standards. Read several steps ahead with the instructions and keep, at all times, your eye on the end product.

    Thanks for taking the time to read and reply folks, now where's that stringbag.
    Phil
    On the bench - Trumpeter 1/32 Fairey Swordfish
    Just off the bench - Airfix 1/48 Buccaneer S2B
    Next on the bench - Airfix 1/48 EE Lightning F2A/F6
    Post Reply

    Return to “Modelling Chat”