HMMWV Tank Simulator - 1/35 diorama

Whether its tracked or wheeled, this is the place for it
Post Reply
User avatar
Kurnas
Private
Private
Posts: 23
Joined: Wed May 13, 2015 5:04 pm
Location: Israel

HMMWV Tank Simulator - 1/35 diorama

Post by Kurnas »

This is a diorama i'm currently working on, started approximately 3 weeks ago after several years of wanting to do it.

The HMMWV Tank simulator is a vehicle used by the IDF for Tactical training of Tank crew members without needing to use the actual tanks (which probably cost a lot more thank the HMMWV)
Image Image
Image
Image
[youtube]FydS7fRMD_0[/youtube]
Last edited by Kurnas on Thu May 14, 2015 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it." - Pablo Picasso.
Finished models:
six day war - golan heights - 1/72 diorama
On the bench:
HMMWV tank simulator - 1/35 diorama
F-16I-SUFA - 1/72 diorama
User avatar
Kurnas
Private
Private
Posts: 23
Joined: Wed May 13, 2015 5:04 pm
Location: Israel

Step 1: Building the Basic HMMWV

Post by Kurnas »

Since there isn't a kit for the HMMWV tank simulator (at least non that i know of) i decided to use Italeri #249 as the base for the tank simulator and scratch building the tank "costume" on top of it.
Image
Image
Image
Image

first placement on the wooden base:
Image
the figures are from Aurora model:
Image Image
and the dogs are from Nemrod #NMA004
Image
"I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it." - Pablo Picasso.
Finished models:
six day war - golan heights - 1/72 diorama
On the bench:
HMMWV tank simulator - 1/35 diorama
F-16I-SUFA - 1/72 diorama
User avatar
Kurnas
Private
Private
Posts: 23
Joined: Wed May 13, 2015 5:04 pm
Location: Israel

Step 2: Building the Tank "costume"

Post by Kurnas »

to start planning the scratch building i downloaded from https://grabcad.com/ a 3d model of the HMMWV:
Image
Using Solidworks i edited the 3d model to 1:35 scale and created a model of the tank costume on top of that:
Image
i spent a lot of time thinking how to create the "tank's turret", these are the ways i thought about:
1. buying a tank kit just for the turret.
2. carving.
3. Vacuum forming.
4. 3d printing.

3d printing seemed like the easiest way and this is the result:
3d model: Image
printed model: Image

to build the frame holding the turret i used the spare sprue parts from the HMMWV kit.
using a small candle i slowly heated the sprue and bent it to the desired angles:
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
"I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it." - Pablo Picasso.
Finished models:
six day war - golan heights - 1/72 diorama
On the bench:
HMMWV tank simulator - 1/35 diorama
F-16I-SUFA - 1/72 diorama
User avatar
Kurnas
Private
Private
Posts: 23
Joined: Wed May 13, 2015 5:04 pm
Location: Israel

Step 2: Building the Tank "costume"-continue

Post by Kurnas »

to build the back "fuel tanks" i used left over barrels from an old Tamiya kit #186:
Image
Image
Image

to make something that looks like the night vision and targeting system installed on the tank simulator i used one of the radio models from Verlinden:
Image
Image
Last edited by Kurnas on Thu May 14, 2015 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it." - Pablo Picasso.
Finished models:
six day war - golan heights - 1/72 diorama
On the bench:
HMMWV tank simulator - 1/35 diorama
F-16I-SUFA - 1/72 diorama
User avatar
Kurnas
Private
Private
Posts: 23
Joined: Wed May 13, 2015 5:04 pm
Location: Israel

Step 2: Building the Tank "costume"-continue

Post by Kurnas »

to build the back panels of the tank "costume" i used the 3d model i made to create drawing of the needed panels: (dimension in mm)
Image
i than used Evergreen Styrene sheets to cut the shapes of the panels and carefully glued them together:
Image
Image
Image

same method was used for the front panels:

Image
Image
Image
Image

that is it so far. hopefully i'll have time during the weekend to start detailing the turret and maybe start with the painting.
"I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it." - Pablo Picasso.
Finished models:
six day war - golan heights - 1/72 diorama
On the bench:
HMMWV tank simulator - 1/35 diorama
F-16I-SUFA - 1/72 diorama
User avatar
Kurnas
Private
Private
Posts: 23
Joined: Wed May 13, 2015 5:04 pm
Location: Israel

homeland GB

Post by Kurnas »

I just read about the homeland GB in this forum.
figured this diorama could be great for that competition since i've never seen these HMMWV tank simulators used by any other country but here.
sadly after a short research turns out the tank simulators unit was established in 2001 so it can't get in that GB :cry:
i guess i'll have to wait for the next one.
"I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it." - Pablo Picasso.
Finished models:
six day war - golan heights - 1/72 diorama
On the bench:
HMMWV tank simulator - 1/35 diorama
F-16I-SUFA - 1/72 diorama
User avatar
Tiger131
Chief Warrant Officer 2
Chief Warrant Officer 2
Posts: 1701
Joined: Tue May 28, 2013 3:44 pm
Location: walsall
England

Re: HMMWV Tank Simulator - 1/35 diorama

Post by Tiger131 »

Wow great scratch building second to none and I think this is the first time a 3D printer has been used on this site works a treat...look forward to seeing more
Image
User avatar
Kurnas
Private
Private
Posts: 23
Joined: Wed May 13, 2015 5:04 pm
Location: Israel

Step 2: Building the Tank "costume"-continue

Post by Kurnas »

I had a lot less time to work on the model during the weekend than i thought i will but i did manage to make some progress with detailing the turret:

Image
Image

Image
ImageImage
Image
Last edited by Kurnas on Sat May 16, 2015 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it." - Pablo Picasso.
Finished models:
six day war - golan heights - 1/72 diorama
On the bench:
HMMWV tank simulator - 1/35 diorama
F-16I-SUFA - 1/72 diorama
trekfanj
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
Posts: 721
Joined: Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:01 pm
Location: Mesa, AZ USA
United States of America

Re: HMMWV Tank Simulator - 1/35 diorama

Post by trekfanj »

Truly spectacular work, Kurnas! :th: :th:
Jarod

"That which we persist in doing becomes easier, not that the task itself has become easier, but that our ability to perform it has improved."
-Ralph Waldo Emerson



On the bench
Bandai 1/144 Millennium Falcon Lando Calrissian version
User avatar
Coen
General
General
Posts: 10136
Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:04 am
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada
Contact:
Canada

Re: HMMWV Tank Simulator - 1/35 diorama

Post by Coen »

I just stumbled acrossed your build bud... Holy crow dude! That's marvellous scratching. 3d printing and all.
Wow Kurnas! :banana:
Can't wait to see this build up.
User avatar
TheWeasel
Sergeant
Sergeant
Posts: 138
Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2014 7:24 pm
Austria

Re: HMMWV Tank Simulator - 1/35 diorama

Post by TheWeasel »

This is awesome! Love the idea and your scratchbuilding. KUTGW bud! :cheers2:

.... plus your name and avatar makes me want to press on with my kurnass....
"Never hire a ferret to do a weasels job" - Louie the Lizzard


projects:

Phantoms. Lots of them! and some other flying and tanking machines
User avatar
Kurnas
Private
Private
Posts: 23
Joined: Wed May 13, 2015 5:04 pm
Location: Israel

Step 2: Building the tank "costume" - Continue

Post by Kurnas »

made some more progress with the detailing:
Image
Image

i've tried building the "cage" surrounding the lamps without much of a success:
Image

anyone has an idea? a tutorial? a relevant link?

thank you everyone for your comments they sure help me to keep going :cheers2:
"I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it." - Pablo Picasso.
Finished models:
six day war - golan heights - 1/72 diorama
On the bench:
HMMWV tank simulator - 1/35 diorama
F-16I-SUFA - 1/72 diorama
kryspacz
New Recruit
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:19 pm
Poland

Re: HMMWV Tank Simulator - 1/35 diorama

Post by kryspacz »

Hi, just found this topic, great work. Any progress on the project?
User avatar
digger303
General
General
Posts: 16667
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:01 am
Location: Western Australia
Australia

Re: HMMWV Tank Simulator - 1/35 diorama

Post by digger303 »

A interesting subject and some great scratch building skills to boot what a good combination for the viewer... :th: :th: :cheers2:
Listen and appear wise
Image
Image

scalemates stash https://www.scalemates.com/profiles/mat ... ION[]=Kits
Image
User avatar
Donkeywalloper
Chief Warrant Officer 4
Chief Warrant Officer 4
Posts: 2629
Joined: Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:06 pm
Location: Burton upon Trent
Great Britain

Re: HMMWV Tank Simulator - 1/35 diorama

Post by Donkeywalloper »

Superb job on a really interesting subject.
DW
Bench:1/35 Tamiya Tiger 1 Mid Production with lots of Aftermarket Stuff
Completed: Vespid 1/72 Comet A10
Shelf: Lots (101 Kits of multiple scales) of Armour + couple of Flappy / Wing Things, found a KV2 95% built and primed four years ago. Plus a few Lego Tech kits, to help restore MoJo
User avatar
LWWales
First Sergeant
First Sergeant
Posts: 528
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:24 pm
Wales

Re: HMMWV Tank Simulator - 1/35 diorama

Post by LWWales »

I'm not an armour builder, but love seeing them come together! Also love a diorama. Excellent work mate!
Previously on the bench: Tamiya 1/20 McLaren MP4/4 - Top Studio super detail set.

Current build: Tamiya 1/12 Honda VF750R & Hobby Design set
Post Reply

Return to “Armour & Military Vehicles”