1/20 Tamiya McLaren MP4/4 - Senna.

Cars, trucks and bikes
User avatar
LWWales
First Sergeant
First Sergeant
Posts: 528
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:24 pm
Wales

1/20 Tamiya McLaren MP4/4 - Senna.

Post by LWWales »

Well it's time to start the next one! As requested by a few here and many on my Instagram, I'll be doing the McLaren!

Image

It's going to be a tough one, but I'm really hyped to start and I'll be having another month of furlough to focus on it!

I got the kit on eBay, still sealed for ยฃ80.
Image
Image
Image
Image

And the Super Detail set and Hobby Design decals from Hiroboy.
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image

Just a few shots to wet the appetite! :thumb1:

Can't wait to start!
Previously on the bench: Tamiya 1/20 McLaren MP4/4 - Top Studio super detail set.

Current build: Tamiya 1/12 Honda VF750R & Hobby Design set
User avatar
Bdiddy
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant
Posts: 434
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2020 2:21 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Australia

Re: 1/20 Tamiya McLaren MP4/4 - Senna.

Post by Bdiddy »

Yeah boi! Great choice, canโ€™t wait to see the progress, looks a challenging build!
Jesse

Current build: 1/24 Aoshima McLaren F1 GTR Longtail

Next build: :scratch::
User avatar
YumYum
Private
Private
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2020 2:39 am
Location: Arizona, USA
United States of America

Re: 1/20 Tamiya McLaren MP4/4 - Senna.

Post by YumYum »

Awesome!
I too am looking forward to seeing this one
On the Bench: Brach Model BM-VR05

Up Next: MFH 1/12 kit???
User avatar
LWWales
First Sergeant
First Sergeant
Posts: 528
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:24 pm
Wales

Re: 1/20 Tamiya McLaren MP4/4 - Senna.

Post by LWWales »

Thanks guys! I'm going to take all of the pictures on the way. Need to pop to the LHS to get some scratch building supplies too!
Previously on the bench: Tamiya 1/20 McLaren MP4/4 - Top Studio super detail set.

Current build: Tamiya 1/12 Honda VF750R & Hobby Design set
User avatar
Gary30
Sergeant Major of the Army
Sergeant Major of the Army
Posts: 1125
Joined: Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:10 pm
Wales

Re: 1/20 Tamiya McLaren MP4/4 - Senna.

Post by Gary30 »

Yes Luke! You know it makes sense Rodney....
Portfolio
Click here
User avatar
barryf1fan
Sergeant Major of the Army
Sergeant Major of the Army
Posts: 1183
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:41 pm
Location: Prev OK, now St. Cloud, FL
United States of America

Re: 1/20 Tamiya McLaren MP4/4 - Senna.

Post by barryf1fan »

Image

This is gonna be "THE" build. :pop: :pop:
All of us get lost in the darkness, Dreamers learn to steer by the stars,
All of us do time in the gutter, Dreamers turn to look at the cars.

On the Bench: Fujimi Porsche 911 GT3 x2 - Flying Lizard 2011 GT3 cars, #80 & #81
Up Next: 1/20 Tamiya McLaren MP4/5 F1
User avatar
BOABModels
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class
Posts: 294
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:51 am
Location: Warwick, UK
Contact:
Great Britain

Re: 1/20 Tamiya McLaren MP4/4 - Senna.

Post by BOABModels »

Wow! I just got one of these kits myself. They are hard to find.

You have got so many extras - I wouldn't be surprised if it runs when you're finished! ๐Ÿ˜‚
User avatar
Gary30
Sergeant Major of the Army
Sergeant Major of the Army
Posts: 1125
Joined: Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:10 pm
Wales

Re: 1/20 Tamiya McLaren MP4/4 - Senna.

Post by Gary30 »

Are you painting the Marlboro fluoro red rather than using the kit decals?

Come on Luke, let's go, your fans are waiting here haha!

Good luck with it buddy, you'll ace it.
Portfolio
Click here
User avatar
LWWales
First Sergeant
First Sergeant
Posts: 528
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:24 pm
Wales

Re: 1/20 Tamiya McLaren MP4/4 - Senna.

Post by LWWales »

Gary30 wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 2:35 pm Yes Luke! You know it makes sense Rodney....
He who dares wins!
barryf1fan wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 2:49 pm Image

This is gonna be "THE" build. :pop: :pop:
Hahaa, no pressure then! :lol:
BOABModels wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 3:21 pm Wow! I just got one of these kits myself. They are hard to find.

You have got so many extras - I wouldn't be surprised if it runs when you're finished! ๐Ÿ˜‚
I hope not, I probably wouldn't have the energy to run after it... Ba-dum-tss! :whistle:
Gary30 wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 3:42 pm Are you painting the Marlboro fluoro red rather than using the kit decals?

Come on Luke, let's go, your fans are waiting here haha!

Good luck with it buddy, you'll ace it.
Thanks man! I'll be painting the red, think I'll try the Mr Hobby H171, Paul mentioned it and I've seen a few others mention it, so I'll do a spoon test!
Previously on the bench: Tamiya 1/20 McLaren MP4/4 - Top Studio super detail set.

Current build: Tamiya 1/12 Honda VF750R & Hobby Design set
User avatar
jchrisf
First Sergeant
First Sergeant
Posts: 532
Joined: Mon May 07, 2018 2:43 pm
Location: Melbourne, FL
United States of America

Re: 1/20 Tamiya McLaren MP4/4 - Senna.

Post by jchrisf »

Going to be a good one! What is your instagram name?
Chris

Previous Build: Revell Joey Saldana Sprint Car

Current Build: Monogram Frank Iaconio Chevy Camero Pro-Stock

Next Build: ?
User avatar
LWWales
First Sergeant
First Sergeant
Posts: 528
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:24 pm
Wales

Re: 1/20 Tamiya McLaren MP4/4 - Senna.

Post by LWWales »

jchrisf wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:18 pm Going to be a good one! What is your instagram name?
Thank you! You can find me at /scalemotor :)
Previously on the bench: Tamiya 1/20 McLaren MP4/4 - Top Studio super detail set.

Current build: Tamiya 1/12 Honda VF750R & Hobby Design set
User avatar
Twokidsnosleep
General
General
Posts: 18481
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:07 pm
Location: BC,Canada
Canada

Re: 1/20 Tamiya McLaren MP4/4 - Senna.

Post by Twokidsnosleep »

Oh sweet :banana:
Great build and lots of extra goodies :th:
:pop:
Scott

On, Under or near the desk
Mr Tamiya Memorial build...Alfa Romeo Bt-46
User avatar
LWWales
First Sergeant
First Sergeant
Posts: 528
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:24 pm
Wales

Re: 1/20 Tamiya McLaren MP4/4 - Senna.

Post by LWWales »

Twokidsnosleep wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:38 pm Oh sweet :banana:
Great build and lots of extra goodies :th:
:pop:
Hopefully I can earn some points. I'm way behind! :lol:
Previously on the bench: Tamiya 1/20 McLaren MP4/4 - Top Studio super detail set.

Current build: Tamiya 1/12 Honda VF750R & Hobby Design set
Miiqqula
Sergeant
Sergeant
Posts: 144
Joined: Thu May 16, 2019 8:57 pm
Finland

Re: 1/20 Tamiya McLaren MP4/4 - Senna.

Post by Miiqqula »

Image

Absolutely will follow this :pop:
BigWall
Chief Warrant Officer 5
Chief Warrant Officer 5
Posts: 2961
Joined: Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:44 pm
Location: Denver, Colorado
United States of America

Re: 1/20 Tamiya McLaren MP4/4 - Senna.

Post by BigWall »

Nice! I'm watching for sure.
Joe

Image
User avatar
Twokidsnosleep
General
General
Posts: 18481
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:07 pm
Location: BC,Canada
Canada

Re: 1/20 Tamiya McLaren MP4/4 - Senna.

Post by Twokidsnosleep »

LWWales wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 12:37 am
Twokidsnosleep wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:38 pm Oh sweet :banana:
Great build and lots of extra goodies :th:
:pop:
Hopefully I can earn some points. I'm way behind! :lol:
;) :D
Scott

On, Under or near the desk
Mr Tamiya Memorial build...Alfa Romeo Bt-46
Hawkmoon
Chief Warrant Officer 3
Chief Warrant Officer 3
Posts: 2121
Joined: Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:19 pm
England

Re: 1/20 Tamiya McLaren MP4/4 - Senna.

Post by Hawkmoon »

:banana: :banana: Nice set of goodys there and will be following :thumb2: :thumb2:

One tip with a big detail up set like you have here its easy to get overwhelmed with all the bits if this happens [not saying it will] just walk away tinker with something else and go back to it when your ready.
User avatar
BOABModels
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class
Posts: 294
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:51 am
Location: Warwick, UK
Contact:
Great Britain

Re: 1/20 Tamiya McLaren MP4/4 - Senna.

Post by BOABModels »

I found you on Instagram. Looking for tips for when I crack on with the Mp4/4.

I think I will get the Tamiya TS fluro red.
User avatar
LWWales
First Sergeant
First Sergeant
Posts: 528
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:24 pm
Wales

Re: 1/20 Tamiya McLaren MP4/4 - Senna.

Post by LWWales »

BOABModels wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 9:06 am I found you on Instagram. Looking for tips for when I crack on with the Mp4/4.

I think I will get the Tamiya TS fluro red.
Excellent! I post in more detail here, but if you wanted to message me on Instagram I'm more readily available!

The build has started! The car in real life is not all one piece so the radiator pods and nose cone were cut off and I'll be rebuilding them with plasricard! Had a spare hour before work so made a start!

Image
Image

More tomorrow!
Previously on the bench: Tamiya 1/20 McLaren MP4/4 - Top Studio super detail set.

Current build: Tamiya 1/12 Honda VF750R & Hobby Design set
User avatar
BOABModels
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class
Posts: 294
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:51 am
Location: Warwick, UK
Contact:
Great Britain

Re: 1/20 Tamiya McLaren MP4/4 - Senna.

Post by BOABModels »

LWWales wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 7:26 pm
BOABModels wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 9:06 am I found you on Instagram. Looking for tips for when I crack on with the Mp4/4.

I think I will get the Tamiya TS fluro red.
Excellent! I post in more detail here, but if you wanted to message me on Instagram I'm more readily available!

The build has started! The car in real life is not all one piece so the radiator pods and nose cone were cut off and I'll be rebuilding them with plasricard! Had a spare hour before work so made a start!

Image
Image

More tomorrow!
I appreciate it!

It seems odd that the front wing is moulded as part of the bodywork too.
User avatar
LWWales
First Sergeant
First Sergeant
Posts: 528
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:24 pm
Wales

Re: 1/20 Tamiya McLaren MP4/4 - Senna.

Post by LWWales »

BOABModels wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 1:41 pm I appreciate it!

It seems odd that the front wing is moulded as part of the bodywork too.
I agree! The front shocks are also moulded in and it's just the top mounts you can see, so I've cut that out and I'll scratch build some!
Previously on the bench: Tamiya 1/20 McLaren MP4/4 - Top Studio super detail set.

Current build: Tamiya 1/12 Honda VF750R & Hobby Design set
User avatar
LWWales
First Sergeant
First Sergeant
Posts: 528
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:24 pm
Wales

Re: 1/20 Tamiya McLaren MP4/4 - Senna.

Post by LWWales »

Had another hour spare today, so I got to some cutting and building! :dance:

The shocks are moulded in and it's just the top mounts you can see, so I've cut them out and I'll scratch build some!

Image
Image
Image

Also cut and test fitted the lower arms. Looks like my holes are good!

Image
Image

Thanks for looking in! As always, any critique is welcomed!
Previously on the bench: Tamiya 1/20 McLaren MP4/4 - Top Studio super detail set.

Current build: Tamiya 1/12 Honda VF750R & Hobby Design set
User avatar
LWWales
First Sergeant
First Sergeant
Posts: 528
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:24 pm
Wales

Re: 1/20 Tamiya McLaren MP4/4 - Senna.

Post by LWWales »

Had a little bit of time today. More filing, sanding and building!

I had to remove locating lugs from the floor pan after I filled in the gaps on the monocoque yesterday, but it seems to fit well!

Started rebuilding the radiator pods, too.

Image
Image
Image
Image
Image

Thanks for looking in!
Previously on the bench: Tamiya 1/20 McLaren MP4/4 - Top Studio super detail set.

Current build: Tamiya 1/12 Honda VF750R & Hobby Design set
User avatar
Bdiddy
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant
Posts: 434
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2020 2:21 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Australia

Re: 1/20 Tamiya McLaren MP4/4 - Senna.

Post by Bdiddy »

Nice progress mate, Iโ€™ve yet to scratch build anything with styrene, how do you find working with it?
Jesse

Current build: 1/24 Aoshima McLaren F1 GTR Longtail

Next build: :scratch::
User avatar
barryf1fan
Sergeant Major of the Army
Sergeant Major of the Army
Posts: 1183
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:41 pm
Location: Prev OK, now St. Cloud, FL
United States of America

Re: 1/20 Tamiya McLaren MP4/4 - Senna.

Post by barryf1fan »

Looking impressive! Above my pay grade! :thumb1:
All of us get lost in the darkness, Dreamers learn to steer by the stars,
All of us do time in the gutter, Dreamers turn to look at the cars.

On the Bench: Fujimi Porsche 911 GT3 x2 - Flying Lizard 2011 GT3 cars, #80 & #81
Up Next: 1/20 Tamiya McLaren MP4/5 F1
User avatar
LWWales
First Sergeant
First Sergeant
Posts: 528
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:24 pm
Wales

Re: 1/20 Tamiya McLaren MP4/4 - Senna.

Post by LWWales »

Bdiddy wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 3:07 am Nice progress mate, Iโ€™ve yet to scratch build anything with styrene, how do you find working with it?
Thanks man! The styrene sheet is really great to use as a material. Easy to cut and stick!

A few weeks ago, I did use some old sprue to make some forks for a part started XV1600 I got on eBay that I wanted to turn into a bobber. That was harder but turned out well!

Image
Image

The sheet is good, though I've yet to do anything complex with it. I've ordered some rods and tubes, styrene, aluminum and brass, so that's where the fun will start!
Previously on the bench: Tamiya 1/20 McLaren MP4/4 - Top Studio super detail set.

Current build: Tamiya 1/12 Honda VF750R & Hobby Design set
User avatar
LWWales
First Sergeant
First Sergeant
Posts: 528
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:24 pm
Wales

Re: 1/20 Tamiya McLaren MP4/4 - Senna.

Post by LWWales »

Got a little bit of PE on yesterday and done some test fitting with the radiators.

I've not had much time with it over the weekend, but happy with it so far!

Image
Image
Previously on the bench: Tamiya 1/20 McLaren MP4/4 - Top Studio super detail set.

Current build: Tamiya 1/12 Honda VF750R & Hobby Design set
User avatar
Bdiddy
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant
Posts: 434
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2020 2:21 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Australia

Re: 1/20 Tamiya McLaren MP4/4 - Senna.

Post by Bdiddy »

Awesome, I might have to grab some different styrenes and start some more scratch building. Those forks turned out sweeeet!

Great progress on the F1, howโ€™ve you found the build so far, overwhelming or not to bad?
Jesse

Current build: 1/24 Aoshima McLaren F1 GTR Longtail

Next build: :scratch::
User avatar
LWWales
First Sergeant
First Sergeant
Posts: 528
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:24 pm
Wales

Re: 1/20 Tamiya McLaren MP4/4 - Senna.

Post by LWWales »

Bdiddy wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:21 am Awesome, I might have to grab some different styrenes and start some more scratch building. Those forks turned out sweeeet!

Great progress on the F1, howโ€™ve you found the build so far, overwhelming or not to bad?
Thanks man! May as well give it a go. I've ordered some rods, tubes and sheets of brass and aluminium to play with too, that should be fun!

It's not too bad at the moment, to be honest, though I've yet to start the engine, or have more than an hour working on it, so we'll see! :lol:
Previously on the bench: Tamiya 1/20 McLaren MP4/4 - Top Studio super detail set.

Current build: Tamiya 1/12 Honda VF750R & Hobby Design set
User avatar
Bdiddy
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant
Posts: 434
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2020 2:21 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Australia

Re: 1/20 Tamiya McLaren MP4/4 - Senna.

Post by Bdiddy »

LWWales wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:26 am
Bdiddy wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:21 am Awesome, I might have to grab some different styrenes and start some more scratch building. Those forks turned out sweeeet!

Great progress on the F1, howโ€™ve you found the build so far, overwhelming or not to bad?
Thanks man! May as well give it a go. I've ordered some rods, tubes and sheets of brass and aluminium to play with too, that should be fun!

It's not too bad at the moment, to be honest, though I've yet to start the engine, or have more than an hour working on it, so we'll see! :lol:
nice mate, ive really got to stock up on my scratch building supplies aswell, Ive only really got aluminium rod and tubing.

hahaha you'll be fine bro, I thought my McLaren F1 GTR was going well until I started on the PE for the interior, ive started on the pedals and I literally want to tear my hair out lol, doesn't make it any easier when the Hobby Design instructions aren't that great either :bash: :wall: :bash:
Jesse

Current build: 1/24 Aoshima McLaren F1 GTR Longtail

Next build: :scratch::
User avatar
BOABModels
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class
Posts: 294
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:51 am
Location: Warwick, UK
Contact:
Great Britain

Re: 1/20 Tamiya McLaren MP4/4 - Senna.

Post by BOABModels »

LWWales wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 9:11 am
Bdiddy wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 3:07 am Nice progress mate, Iโ€™ve yet to scratch build anything with styrene, how do you find working with it?
Thanks man! The styrene sheet is really great to use as a material. Easy to cut and stick!

A few weeks ago, I did use some old sprue to make some forks for a part started XV1600 I got on eBay that I wanted to turn into a bobber. That was harder but turned out well!

Image
Image

The sheet is good, though I've yet to do anything complex with it. I've ordered some rods and tubes, styrene, aluminum and brass, so that's where the fun will start!
It looks great.

What thickness is the styrene?

I found some at my LHS - I think it was about 0.6mm thick but still looked too thick to me.
User avatar
LWWales
First Sergeant
First Sergeant
Posts: 528
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:24 pm
Wales

Re: 1/20 Tamiya McLaren MP4/4 - Senna.

Post by LWWales »

BOABModels wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 1:10 pm
LWWales wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 9:11 am
Bdiddy wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 3:07 am Nice progress mate, Iโ€™ve yet to scratch build anything with styrene, how do you find working with it?
Thanks man! The styrene sheet is really great to use as a material. Easy to cut and stick!

A few weeks ago, I did use some old sprue to make some forks for a part started XV1600 I got on eBay that I wanted to turn into a bobber. That was harder but turned out well!

Image
Image

The sheet is good, though I've yet to do anything complex with it. I've ordered some rods and tubes, styrene, aluminum and brass, so that's where the fun will start!
It looks great.

What thickness is the styrene?

I found some at my LHS - I think it was about 0.6mm thick but still looked too thick to me.
Sorry mate, had a mad few days! It's just 0.2mm sheets and 0.95mm. They were the only two they had in hobbycraft when I went a few weeks ago! :)
Previously on the bench: Tamiya 1/20 McLaren MP4/4 - Top Studio super detail set.

Current build: Tamiya 1/12 Honda VF750R & Hobby Design set
User avatar
LWWales
First Sergeant
First Sergeant
Posts: 528
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:24 pm
Wales

Re: 1/20 Tamiya McLaren MP4/4 - Senna.

Post by LWWales »

Been working on the front suspension and the radiator pods! Got some bits built up and all been test fitted and looking good!

Image
Image
Image
Image

Here I am so far!

Image
Image
Image

Thanks for looking in! I've not had much time with it since starting, but I'll be on furlough from the 1st of September and the missus is starting a new job, so I'll be alone all day :lol:
Last edited by LWWales on Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Previously on the bench: Tamiya 1/20 McLaren MP4/4 - Top Studio super detail set.

Current build: Tamiya 1/12 Honda VF750R & Hobby Design set
Hawkmoon
Chief Warrant Officer 3
Chief Warrant Officer 3
Posts: 2121
Joined: Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:19 pm
England

Re: 1/20 Tamiya McLaren MP4/4 - Senna.

Post by Hawkmoon »

:th: All looking good from here and nice work :clap: :clap: :thumb2:
User avatar
BOABModels
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class
Posts: 294
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:51 am
Location: Warwick, UK
Contact:
Great Britain

Re: 1/20 Tamiya McLaren MP4/4 - Senna.

Post by BOABModels »

LWWales wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:03 pm
BOABModels wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 1:10 pm
LWWales wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 9:11 am

Thanks man! The styrene sheet is really great to use as a material. Easy to cut and stick!

A few weeks ago, I did use some old sprue to make some forks for a part started XV1600 I got on eBay that I wanted to turn into a bobber. That was harder but turned out well!

Image
Image

The sheet is good, though I've yet to do anything complex with it. I've ordered some rods and tubes, styrene, aluminum and brass, so that's where the fun will start!
It looks great.

What thickness is the styrene?

I found some at my LHS - I think it was about 0.6mm thick but still looked too thick to me.
Sorry mate, had a mad few days! It's just 0.2mm sheets and 0.95mm. They were the only two they had in hobbycraft when I went a few weeks ago! :)
Thanks! Yeah, it was a Hobbycraft I went to as well.

Maybe I should try again some time. One of my upcoming projects is to turn a Revell Mercedes W01 into the Brawn GP 001.

They are similar but raw materials will be a help!
BigWall
Chief Warrant Officer 5
Chief Warrant Officer 5
Posts: 2961
Joined: Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:44 pm
Location: Denver, Colorado
United States of America

Re: 1/20 Tamiya McLaren MP4/4 - Senna.

Post by BigWall »

It's looking nice! Good job on the scratch building!
Joe

Image
User avatar
Bdiddy
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant
Posts: 434
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2020 2:21 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Australia

Re: 1/20 Tamiya McLaren MP4/4 - Senna.

Post by Bdiddy »

Great progress mate :cheers2:
Jesse

Current build: 1/24 Aoshima McLaren F1 GTR Longtail

Next build: :scratch::
User avatar
LWWales
First Sergeant
First Sergeant
Posts: 528
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:24 pm
Wales

Re: 1/20 Tamiya McLaren MP4/4 - Senna.

Post by LWWales »

Thanks guys! Been quiet a few days as we were celebrating my girlfriends birthday over the weekend, but I'm on furlough now, my paints been delivered and im ready to go up a gear and get some serious building done!
Previously on the bench: Tamiya 1/20 McLaren MP4/4 - Top Studio super detail set.

Current build: Tamiya 1/12 Honda VF750R & Hobby Design set
User avatar
LWWales
First Sergeant
First Sergeant
Posts: 528
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:24 pm
Wales

Re: 1/20 Tamiya McLaren MP4/4 - Senna.

Post by LWWales »

Few bits done this evening! Got the hubs together and discs painted. It was done with Zero Paints carbon ceramic paint, though I may re paint them lighter. Here is is next to the kit part.

Image

Got the body paint started. I tried to replicate the bronze colour on the original car, it needs to be toned down and a flat clear sprayed over, though.

Image
Image

Thanks for looking in guys!
Previously on the bench: Tamiya 1/20 McLaren MP4/4 - Top Studio super detail set.

Current build: Tamiya 1/12 Honda VF750R & Hobby Design set
User avatar
Bdiddy
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant
Posts: 434
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2020 2:21 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Australia

Re: 1/20 Tamiya McLaren MP4/4 - Senna.

Post by Bdiddy »

great progress mate, that front end is lookin awesome :cheers2: :pistols:
Jesse

Current build: 1/24 Aoshima McLaren F1 GTR Longtail

Next build: :scratch::
User avatar
Gary30
Sergeant Major of the Army
Sergeant Major of the Army
Posts: 1125
Joined: Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:10 pm
Wales

Re: 1/20 Tamiya McLaren MP4/4 - Senna.

Post by Gary30 »

Niiiiiiiiiiiiice!!! Quick blow over that tub with smoke and a semi-gloss clear and it will look perfect to the 1:1

Those brakes look amazing.
Portfolio
Click here
User avatar
LWWales
First Sergeant
First Sergeant
Posts: 528
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:24 pm
Wales

Re: 1/20 Tamiya McLaren MP4/4 - Senna.

Post by LWWales »

Bdiddy wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 2:10 am great progress mate, that front end is lookin awesome :cheers2: :pistols:
Thank you! It was a tricky one to paint due to the colours.
Gary30 wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:25 am Niiiiiiiiiiiiice!!! Quick blow over that tub with smoke and a semi-gloss clear and it will look perfect to the 1:1

Those brakes look amazing.
Thanks man! I've Got a few layers of smoke in there though it still needs the sheen taken out, so one more then the clear and im good, I think!
Previously on the bench: Tamiya 1/20 McLaren MP4/4 - Top Studio super detail set.

Current build: Tamiya 1/12 Honda VF750R & Hobby Design set
User avatar
LWWales
First Sergeant
First Sergeant
Posts: 528
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:24 pm
Wales

Re: 1/20 Tamiya McLaren MP4/4 - Senna.

Post by LWWales »

Got the breaks kitted out today and the front suspension arms painted!

Image
Image

The breaks blow me away. Kit part = 1 piece. Top Studio set part = 24 pieces so far, still a few to go on!

Image
Image
Image

Thanks for looking in again! ๐Ÿ˜€
Previously on the bench: Tamiya 1/20 McLaren MP4/4 - Top Studio super detail set.

Current build: Tamiya 1/12 Honda VF750R & Hobby Design set
User avatar
barryf1fan
Sergeant Major of the Army
Sergeant Major of the Army
Posts: 1183
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:41 pm
Location: Prev OK, now St. Cloud, FL
United States of America

Re: 1/20 Tamiya McLaren MP4/4 - Senna.

Post by barryf1fan »

I like the kit part. :thumb1:
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.

Image

Just joshin' - They look awesome!! :dance:
All of us get lost in the darkness, Dreamers learn to steer by the stars,
All of us do time in the gutter, Dreamers turn to look at the cars.

On the Bench: Fujimi Porsche 911 GT3 x2 - Flying Lizard 2011 GT3 cars, #80 & #81
Up Next: 1/20 Tamiya McLaren MP4/5 F1
BigWall
Chief Warrant Officer 5
Chief Warrant Officer 5
Posts: 2961
Joined: Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:44 pm
Location: Denver, Colorado
United States of America

Re: 1/20 Tamiya McLaren MP4/4 - Senna.

Post by BigWall »

Those calipers are insane!
Joe

Image
User avatar
Bdiddy
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant
Posts: 434
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2020 2:21 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Australia

Re: 1/20 Tamiya McLaren MP4/4 - Senna.

Post by Bdiddy »

Holy sheet 24 pieces is crazy! Great job on them mate
Jesse

Current build: 1/24 Aoshima McLaren F1 GTR Longtail

Next build: :scratch::
User avatar
LWWales
First Sergeant
First Sergeant
Posts: 528
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:24 pm
Wales

Re: 1/20 Tamiya McLaren MP4/4 - Senna.

Post by LWWales »

Thanks guys! I was a little worried about them, but I think they went together easier than I thought!
Previously on the bench: Tamiya 1/20 McLaren MP4/4 - Top Studio super detail set.

Current build: Tamiya 1/12 Honda VF750R & Hobby Design set
User avatar
BOABModels
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class
Posts: 294
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:51 am
Location: Warwick, UK
Contact:
Great Britain

Re: 1/20 Tamiya McLaren MP4/4 - Senna.

Post by BOABModels »

Awesome work!

I'm getting one photo etch set for mine so I won't be quite going to the same level of detail, but it's so interesting seeing your progress.
User avatar
LWWales
First Sergeant
First Sergeant
Posts: 528
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:24 pm
Wales

Re: 1/20 Tamiya McLaren MP4/4 - Senna.

Post by LWWales »

BOABModels wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 4:31 pm Awesome work!

I'm getting one photo etch set for mine so I won't be quite going to the same level of detail, but it's so interesting seeing your progress.
Thanks man! Still sounds good! Can't wait to see the videos!
Previously on the bench: Tamiya 1/20 McLaren MP4/4 - Top Studio super detail set.

Current build: Tamiya 1/12 Honda VF750R & Hobby Design set
User avatar
BOABModels
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class
Posts: 294
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:51 am
Location: Warwick, UK
Contact:
Great Britain

Re: 1/20 Tamiya McLaren MP4/4 - Senna.

Post by BOABModels »

LWWales wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 8:56 pm
BOABModels wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 4:31 pm Awesome work!

I'm getting one photo etch set for mine so I won't be quite going to the same level of detail, but it's so interesting seeing your progress.
Thanks man! Still sounds good! Can't wait to see the videos!
I look forward to making them too! The fluorescent red arrived yesterday so now it's just the photo etch!
Post Reply

Return to โ€œRoad Vehiclesโ€