Colonial Viper Mk1

Moderator: T3hGuppy

User avatar
aur0ra145
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
Posts: 3161
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:44 am
Location: TX
Contact:
United States of America

Re: Colonial Viper Mk1

Post by aur0ra145 »

Wow, that's looking really good so far!
Hawkmoon
Chief Warrant Officer 3
Chief Warrant Officer 3
Posts: 2121
Joined: Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:19 pm
England

Re: Colonial Viper Mk1

Post by Hawkmoon »

:thumb2: Looks good to me Neil and nice work :thumb2: :thumb2:
User avatar
RangerNeil
Major
Major
Posts: 4745
Joined: Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:42 pm
Location: Dagenham
Contact:
Great Britain

Re: Colonial Viper Mk1

Post by RangerNeil »

As ever - thanks everyone for the kind words. :)

Decals are now complete. Next stage is to give the Viper a good Gloss coat all over before starting on the wash - yet another first for me. I have the Vallejo wash but nosing through YouTube it seems to me I would do better getting hold of one of Ultimate's washes - probably their "Dark Earth" wash as, for a beginner, it seems a lot simpler to work with. I also need to work on the canopy and get rid of the paint bleeds before it gets fitted.

Image

Image

Image

Image
    Neil (yet another one...)

    On the board now:

    Airfix 1/35 Alvis Stalwart Mk2 FV622
    Hasegawa 1/48 A8 Crusader

    Scalemates stash info
    =58417&fkSTASHSTATUS[]=58417-Stash&page=stash]Scalemates Stash manager
    BigWall
    Chief Warrant Officer 5
    Chief Warrant Officer 5
    Posts: 2961
    Joined: Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:44 pm
    Location: Denver, Colorado
    United States of America

    Re: Colonial Viper Mk1

    Post by BigWall »

    The decals are looking great!

    Don't be afraid of the wash. If nothing else, find something to practice on.
    Joe

    Image
    User avatar
    aur0ra145
    Second Lieutenant
    Second Lieutenant
    Posts: 3161
    Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:44 am
    Location: TX
    Contact:
    United States of America

    Re: Colonial Viper Mk1

    Post by aur0ra145 »

    Great decal work. Like BigWall said, practice on a crap model if you're worried about the washes. I personally have used the Ultimate Winter wash and loved it. Getting the rest of their weather wash line is on my to buy list.
    User avatar
    LWWales
    First Sergeant
    First Sergeant
    Posts: 528
    Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:24 pm
    Wales

    Re: Colonial Viper Mk1

    Post by LWWales »

    That looks amazing mate! Would look great with a wash. Weathering is scary, especially when your model looks as great as yours
    Previously on the bench: Tamiya 1/20 McLaren MP4/4 - Top Studio super detail set.

    Current build: Tamiya 1/12 Honda VF750R & Hobby Design set
    User avatar
    RangerNeil
    Major
    Major
    Posts: 4745
    Joined: Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:42 pm
    Location: Dagenham
    Contact:
    Great Britain

    Re: Colonial Viper Mk1

    Post by RangerNeil »

    Still trying to summon up the courage to have a go with the wash. Been nosing on YouTube on how to use that particular wash and I'm getting there slowly.
    For now though - all the parts are fitted including the landing gear bay doors. The rearmost section is still dry-fitted to allow the option of using the wireless power connectors. Looking at the side view its rather obvious the laser cannon are somehow out of alignment with the nose - they should be parallel not downward pointing. So I am thinking a bit of gentle, localised, heat at the wing support to allow a slight twist to bring them up into alignment will be necessary. So - before I can call this closed I need to:
    * Do the wash.
    * Align the laser cannon.
    * Polish the canopy properly.

    This is how the Viper looks as of now:
    Image

    Image

    Image

      Neil (yet another one...)

      On the board now:

      Airfix 1/35 Alvis Stalwart Mk2 FV622
      Hasegawa 1/48 A8 Crusader

      Scalemates stash info
      =58417&fkSTASHSTATUS[]=58417-Stash&page=stash]Scalemates Stash manager
      User avatar
      aur0ra145
      Second Lieutenant
      Second Lieutenant
      Posts: 3161
      Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:44 am
      Location: TX
      Contact:
      United States of America

      Re: Colonial Viper Mk1

      Post by aur0ra145 »

      wow, cool video!
      Parker
      First Sergeant
      First Sergeant
      Posts: 550
      Joined: Tue May 19, 2020 6:49 am
      Location: Melbourne
      Australia

      Re: Colonial Viper Mk1

      Post by Parker »

      loving the green cockpit.
      On The Bench (Dining Table) - CF-104 Starfighter

      Image
      BigWall
      Chief Warrant Officer 5
      Chief Warrant Officer 5
      Posts: 2961
      Joined: Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:44 pm
      Location: Denver, Colorado
      United States of America

      Re: Colonial Viper Mk1

      Post by BigWall »

      Very sweet! Nice work.
      Joe

      Image
      User avatar
      digger303
      General
      General
      Posts: 16667
      Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:01 am
      Location: Western Australia
      Australia

      Re: Colonial Viper Mk1

      Post by digger303 »

      Do the wash it will look good. It will really lift it to the next level which you have already set fairly high. :th: :th: :cheers2:
      Listen and appear wise
      Image
      Image

      scalemates stash https://www.scalemates.com/profiles/mat ... ION[]=Kits
      Image
      User avatar
      Stokesy44
      Lieutenant General
      Lieutenant General
      Posts: 9093
      Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:13 am
      Location: The Midlands, UK
      Great Britain

      Re: Colonial Viper Mk1

      Post by Stokesy44 »

      aur0ra145 wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 10:36 pm wow, cool video!
      Absolutely :clap:
      Its been tried and tested, it works! So don't blame the system if you're no good. :doh:
      User avatar
      RangerNeil
      Major
      Major
      Posts: 4745
      Joined: Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:42 pm
      Location: Dagenham
      Contact:
      Great Britain

      Re: Colonial Viper Mk1

      Post by RangerNeil »

      Summoned up the nerve to have a go at the wash today. I'm in two minds as to how it turned out. :( Never done it before and the Vallejo wash, despite having applied 2 coats of gloss finish to the Viper, does not like coming off. I dug into YouTube and found a couple of ways of using it - neither was, to me, overly successful. The "best" one was to apply the wash to the panel lines and immediately wipe off the excess with a damp sponge or tissue. Which also removed most of what was in the panel lines.... Leaving it on to dry then wiping it off was a no-go. Once dry it wasn't coming off without serious effort. In fairness it seemed to work better on the Pegasus - perhaps because that is a darker colour... I am not overly happy with the finished result. - the camera flash makes it look worse than it is but even so.... :( :(
      Anyways - this is the finished effort. Rest of the pics will be in the final reveal thread.

      Image
        Neil (yet another one...)

        On the board now:

        Airfix 1/35 Alvis Stalwart Mk2 FV622
        Hasegawa 1/48 A8 Crusader

        Scalemates stash info
        =58417&fkSTASHSTATUS[]=58417-Stash&page=stash]Scalemates Stash manager
        BigWall
        Chief Warrant Officer 5
        Chief Warrant Officer 5
        Posts: 2961
        Joined: Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:44 pm
        Location: Denver, Colorado
        United States of America

        Re: Colonial Viper Mk1

        Post by BigWall »

        Very nice job!

        I see why you don't like the result of the wash and I think i have an answer for you as to why it did what it did. Acrylics make for a much harder wash to clean up as compared to oil/enamel washes. If you use it again maybe try thinning it down more and then cleaning up any excess from where you touched the brush to the model right away? It's always easier to add more than clean up too much. Congratulations for having the nuts to try it out on such a great model. Maybe try to weather it in some for the whole model?
        Joe

        Image
        User avatar
        RangerNeil
        Major
        Major
        Posts: 4745
        Joined: Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:42 pm
        Location: Dagenham
        Contact:
        Great Britain

        Re: Colonial Viper Mk1

        Post by RangerNeil »

        BigWall wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 12:46 am Very nice job!

        I see why you don't like the result of the wash and I think i have an answer for you as to why it did what it did. Acrylics make for a much harder wash to clean up as compared to oil/enamel washes. If you use it again maybe try thinning it down more and then cleaning up any excess from where you touched the brush to the model right away? It's always easier to add more than clean up too much. Congratulations for having the nuts to try it out on such a great model. Maybe try to weather it in some for the whole model?
        That's what I was thinking as regards the weathering - again though its something I've never done before.
        The method I used for about 95% of the Viper was as I ran the brush down the panel line I followed it up with a damp piece of kitchen towel to wick up the excess - but even that left residue. I'm told the Vallejo wash is a pig to use unless you know EXACTLY what you are doing. - and as you can see - I quite clearly didn't. Quite upsetting really and I really, really, wish I hadn't tried it now. :(
          Neil (yet another one...)

          On the board now:

          Airfix 1/35 Alvis Stalwart Mk2 FV622
          Hasegawa 1/48 A8 Crusader

          Scalemates stash info
          =58417&fkSTASHSTATUS[]=58417-Stash&page=stash]Scalemates Stash manager
          User avatar
          aur0ra145
          Second Lieutenant
          Second Lieutenant
          Posts: 3161
          Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:44 am
          Location: TX
          Contact:
          United States of America

          Re: Colonial Viper Mk1

          Post by aur0ra145 »

          I sort of like the look of it based on your photos. Looks kind of like it's had heavy fleet usage.

          Though I do agree with the Vallejo being difficult to work with. My snowspeeder and some issues much like yours. I may try the tamiya panel line stuff next.
          User avatar
          Stokesy44
          Lieutenant General
          Lieutenant General
          Posts: 9093
          Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:13 am
          Location: The Midlands, UK
          Great Britain

          Re: Colonial Viper Mk1

          Post by Stokesy44 »

          I've only ever used water based washes, first by making my own using ground down chalks then Ultimate's washes.

          Ultimate's washes are, IMHO, superb. Applying them onto a kit that has been glossed, you are guaranteed to be able to wipe them as clean as you choose depending on how much water you apply to whatever you are using to clean up the wash.

          I'd never use anything else now.
          Its been tried and tested, it works! So don't blame the system if you're no good. :doh:
          User avatar
          RangerNeil
          Major
          Major
          Posts: 4745
          Joined: Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:42 pm
          Location: Dagenham
          Contact:
          Great Britain

          Re: Colonial Viper Mk1

          Post by RangerNeil »

          Stokesy44 wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 8:20 am I've only ever used water based washes, first by making my own using ground down chalks then Ultimate's washes.

          Ultimate's washes are, IMHO, superb. Applying them onto a kit that has been glossed, you are guaranteed to be able to wipe them as clean as you choose depending on how much water you apply to whatever you are using to clean up the wash.

          I'd never use anything else now.

          Thanks for the recommendation sir. I was torn between the Ultimate and Tamiya ones. So I will gor for the ultimate when moneys is in! :) The Viper had 2 good coats of Humbrol Gloss acrylic and still it would note come clean with the Vallejo. It seemed to work OK on the Pegasus though so I'll just keep the Vallejo for very dark colours.
            Neil (yet another one...)

            On the board now:

            Airfix 1/35 Alvis Stalwart Mk2 FV622
            Hasegawa 1/48 A8 Crusader

            Scalemates stash info
            =58417&fkSTASHSTATUS[]=58417-Stash&page=stash]Scalemates Stash manager
            User avatar
            digger303
            General
            General
            Posts: 16667
            Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:01 am
            Location: Western Australia
            Australia

            Re: Colonial Viper Mk1

            Post by digger303 »

            I use AK enamel pin washes mostly, let them dry then wipe off with a bud lightly dipped in white spirits for clean up. I'm really sorry to have urged you on now. :( :(
            Listen and appear wise
            Image
            Image

            scalemates stash https://www.scalemates.com/profiles/mat ... ION[]=Kits
            Image
            User avatar
            RangerNeil
            Major
            Major
            Posts: 4745
            Joined: Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:42 pm
            Location: Dagenham
            Contact:
            Great Britain

            Re: Colonial Viper Mk1

            Post by RangerNeil »

            digger303 wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 2:34 pm I use AK enamel pin washes mostly, let them dry then wipe off with a bud lightly dipped in white spirits for clean up. I'm really sorry to have urged you on now. :( :(
            No worries mate - I had to start somewhere!! :)
              Neil (yet another one...)

              On the board now:

              Airfix 1/35 Alvis Stalwart Mk2 FV622
              Hasegawa 1/48 A8 Crusader

              Scalemates stash info
              =58417&fkSTASHSTATUS[]=58417-Stash&page=stash]Scalemates Stash manager
              Post Reply

              Return to “Build threads”