Fujimi 1/24 Goodsmile Racing Mercedes SLS AMG - 2015

Post Reply
User avatar
barryf1fan
Sergeant Major of the Army
Sergeant Major of the Army
Posts: 1183
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:41 pm
Location: Prev OK, now St. Cloud, FL
United States of America

Fujimi 1/24 Goodsmile Racing Mercedes SLS AMG - 2015

Post by barryf1fan »

Finished this one up last night... Good kit, sorry a$$ decals but overall fun build (although the Fujimi BMW kit had better fitment :think: ).
If I was to do this one over though, I would buy the Tamiya kit and aftermarket decals. The kit decals in this kit are like rice paper. Actually, I would think that would be a step up from these decals - which were nothing like the BMW kit decals I did before this one.

I thought the BMW "thick" decals were annoying, due to the amount of "massaging" and just extreme amount of patience they required. Well, decals that tear as you slide them off the transfer paper is waaaaaaaayyyy more annoying. I'm not sure if these Mercedes decals were left in a super hot room or something, but I did not like them. I bet I tore 1/3 of the decals on this kit... and that was knowing they were gonna be fragile and brittle.

Anyway, I did not like this one as much as I wanted to - mostly due to the frustrations with the decals (I'm sure you're getting that by now... :lol: :lol: )
On to the pics;

Built OOB
decanted Tamiya TS-26, over Ultimate Black Surface primer
Alclad metal colors over Alclad Black Base
Alclad Gloss Klear Kote

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Here's a couple with his big "little" brother.

Image

Image

Thanks for looking in and :thumb2: if you followed along the build thread.
Hope all have a fun, and safe New Year's eve and a happy, more pleasant 2021 !!
All of us get lost in the darkness, Dreamers learn to steer by the stars,
All of us do time in the gutter, Dreamers turn to look at the cars.

On the Bench: Fujimi Porsche 911 GT3 x2 - Flying Lizard 2011 GT3 cars, #80 & #81
Up Next: 1/20 Tamiya McLaren MP4/5 F1
BigWall
Chief Warrant Officer 5
Chief Warrant Officer 5
Posts: 2961
Joined: Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:44 pm
Location: Denver, Colorado
United States of America

Re: Fujimi 1/24 Goodsmile Racing Mercedes SLS AMG - 2015

Post by BigWall »

Well, you'd never know how much trouble it was by looking at it. It came out looking excellent. Great job!
Joe

Image
User avatar
Kevthemodeller
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
Posts: 5825
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2016 8:31 am
Location: Newton Abbot UK
England

Re: Fujimi 1/24 Goodsmile Racing Mercedes SLS AMG - 2015

Post by Kevthemodeller »

Another superb result Barry, as is testament to your skill mate :clap: :clap: :clap:
Kev

On the bench:
Martini Brabham BT44B
User avatar
barryf1fan
Sergeant Major of the Army
Sergeant Major of the Army
Posts: 1183
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:41 pm
Location: Prev OK, now St. Cloud, FL
United States of America

Re: Fujimi 1/24 Goodsmile Racing Mercedes SLS AMG - 2015

Post by barryf1fan »

BigWall wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 1:38 am Well, you'd never know how much trouble it was by looking at it. It came out looking excellent. Great job!
Thanks Joe!! Appreciate you lookin' in... and yeah, it don't look too bad, but man, I'm tellin'ya, tearing (what seemed like) every other decal, while trying to be careful not to tear them... :lol: :lol: :lol: Talk about an "exercise in frustration". :roll:

Kevthemodeller wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 11:48 am Another superb result Barry, as is testament to your skill mate :clap: :clap: :clap:
Thanks, Kev... and not too bad a result (taking into account I wanted to chuck it at the wall a couple of times), and not so much skill as I wasn't going to let it beat me. :lol:
I remember thinking whilst I was doing the BMW GSR decals, "man, sure hope the Mercedes I've got doesn't have as thick of decals as this thing does".

It didn't !! :lol:


Have a safe and Happy New Year, guys!! :cheers2:
All of us get lost in the darkness, Dreamers learn to steer by the stars,
All of us do time in the gutter, Dreamers turn to look at the cars.

On the Bench: Fujimi Porsche 911 GT3 x2 - Flying Lizard 2011 GT3 cars, #80 & #81
Up Next: 1/20 Tamiya McLaren MP4/5 F1
User avatar
DRUMS01
Chief Warrant Officer 4
Chief Warrant Officer 4
Posts: 2352
Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2016 1:48 am
Location: Ohio, USA
United States of America

Re: Fujimi 1/24 Goodsmile Racing Mercedes SLS AMG - 2015

Post by DRUMS01 »

They look like brothers from another mother... superb builds and wonderful liveries....

Ben
On the table or recently completed:

1/18 AV8-B Harrier - WIP
1/35 Churchill AVRE with SBG Bridge Diorama - DONE
75mm BMW R75 WW2 motorcycle with rider - DONE
Post Reply

Return to “Land Gallery”