Aoshima 1/12 Monkey Honda Z50j-1

Post Reply
User avatar
Casper
Sergeant Major of the Army
Sergeant Major of the Army
Posts: 1109
Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:07 pm
Location: North Wales
Wales

Aoshima 1/12 Monkey Honda Z50j-1

Post by Casper »

I did this tiny Monkey a couple of years ago for the Mrs. she likes the small bikes and car kits and sometimes asks me to build her one, she likes the egg planes as well but I haven't done one of those for years. I have a couple of Monkey bike kits including the Tamiya Monkey 125 but wont be doing that just yet.

Box Art and contents
Image
Image
chrome isn't too bad :think:
Image
Black sprue
Image
white sprue and decals
Image
Image

first thing I did was drill some small holes in the seat for some steel pins
Image
Image
Image
looks a little oversize but this thing is tiny :o
Image

a couple of small mods.
I chopped off the rear axle and inserted a pipe and cut the pin off the inside of the two engine parts so I could fit them both later.
Image
Image
Image

The chrome parts were dipped in oven cleaner for about 4-5 minutes and came out squeaky clean after a wash in soapy water.
Image
Image
Image

primed and given a black base coat
Image

I had a go at the rear shocks, they don't look that bad to be honest but lets take the chrome off
Image
Image
springs are a little oversize now but hey ho! on we go :)
Image
Image

left the chrome on the handle bars, added some cables and a spark plug of sorts.
Image

The exhaust pipe end was thinned and shortened and a small brass pipe pushed home
Image
Image

Image


Tank, forks, headlight and side panels primed. Engine fitted. wheels and forks had a coat of Vallejo dull aluminium and a small brass 0.5mm added to the rear break drum.
Image
Image
Image

I cut two masks for the tank and side panels before spraying with Vallejo green (cant remember what green) and then off white.
Image
springs look awful looking back :think:
Image
Image
Image

Lights were painted satin black and the lenses flooded with Tamiya clear rad and left to dry for a couple of days till hard
Image
Image
Image

its getting very tricky to hold on to now but I have a solution :D
Image
Image
Image
all done :)
Image
Image
Image

Image
casper (mark) ;)
Image
on the bench : VW Barn find, Bentley Blower, Yamaha YZF-R1M, Harley Davidson WLA 750. Tron Light Cycle Trio
MBB Design© Mini Bike Bench©
User avatar
RangerNeil
Major
Major
Posts: 4745
Joined: Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:42 pm
Location: Dagenham
Contact:
Great Britain

Re: Aoshima 1/12 Monkey Honda Z50j-1

Post by RangerNeil »

Neat little bike - and I love the idea for "holding" it"!! Well done :) :)
    Neil (yet another one...)

    On the board now:

    Airfix 1/35 Alvis Stalwart Mk2 FV622
    Hasegawa 1/48 A8 Crusader

    Scalemates stash info
    =58417&fkSTASHSTATUS[]=58417-Stash&page=stash]Scalemates Stash manager
    User avatar
    Casper
    Sergeant Major of the Army
    Sergeant Major of the Army
    Posts: 1109
    Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:07 pm
    Location: North Wales
    Wales

    Re: Aoshima 1/12 Monkey Honda Z50j-1

    Post by Casper »

    RangerNeil wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 6:12 pm Neat little bike - and I love the idea for "holding" it"!! Well done :) :)
    Cheers Neil :thumb1: she was a lot of fun to build.
    Image
    on the bench : VW Barn find, Bentley Blower, Yamaha YZF-R1M, Harley Davidson WLA 750. Tron Light Cycle Trio
    MBB Design© Mini Bike Bench©
    BigWall
    Chief Warrant Officer 5
    Chief Warrant Officer 5
    Posts: 2961
    Joined: Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:44 pm
    Location: Denver, Colorado
    United States of America

    Re: Aoshima 1/12 Monkey Honda Z50j-1

    Post by BigWall »

    Nice build! Thank you for sharing it with us Mark.
    Joe

    Image
    User avatar
    Casper
    Sergeant Major of the Army
    Sergeant Major of the Army
    Posts: 1109
    Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:07 pm
    Location: North Wales
    Wales

    Re: Aoshima 1/12 Monkey Honda Z50j-1

    Post by Casper »

    BigWall wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 7:28 pm Nice build! Thank you for sharing it with us Mark.
    Thanks joe :thumb1: glad you like her mate
    casp
    Image
    on the bench : VW Barn find, Bentley Blower, Yamaha YZF-R1M, Harley Davidson WLA 750. Tron Light Cycle Trio
    MBB Design© Mini Bike Bench©
    User avatar
    Twokidsnosleep
    General
    General
    Posts: 18481
    Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:07 pm
    Location: BC,Canada
    Canada

    Re: Aoshima 1/12 Monkey Honda Z50j-1

    Post by Twokidsnosleep »

    Really nice indeed
    Love the mods you made
    There are great pinstriping tapes, or make your own with painted Washi tape
    I use those a lot as a cheat cover up for dramatic color transitions like that tough white/ green one on the tank
    Scott

    On, Under or near the desk
    Mr Tamiya Memorial build...Alfa Romeo Bt-46
    User avatar
    MrBowcat
    Command Sergeant Major
    Command Sergeant Major
    Posts: 828
    Joined: Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:34 pm
    Location: London
    England

    Re: Aoshima 1/12 Monkey Honda Z50j-1

    Post by MrBowcat »

    Really like that Casp, good work on the mods.
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    User avatar
    Casper
    Sergeant Major of the Army
    Sergeant Major of the Army
    Posts: 1109
    Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:07 pm
    Location: North Wales
    Wales

    Re: Aoshima 1/12 Monkey Honda Z50j-1

    Post by Casper »

    Twokidsnosleep wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:43 am Really nice indeed
    Love the mods you made
    There are great pinstriping tapes, or make your own with painted Washi tape
    I use those a lot as a cheat cover up for dramatic color transitions like that tough white/ green one on the tank
    Hi scott, thanks mate :thumb1:
    I have some pinstripe tape now but didn't when I did the bike. Washi tape?
    Image
    on the bench : VW Barn find, Bentley Blower, Yamaha YZF-R1M, Harley Davidson WLA 750. Tron Light Cycle Trio
    MBB Design© Mini Bike Bench©
    User avatar
    Casper
    Sergeant Major of the Army
    Sergeant Major of the Army
    Posts: 1109
    Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:07 pm
    Location: North Wales
    Wales

    Re: Aoshima 1/12 Monkey Honda Z50j-1

    Post by Casper »

    MrBowcat wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:11 am Really like that Casp, good work on the mods.
    Thank you MrB :thumb1: she was fun to do :)
    Image
    on the bench : VW Barn find, Bentley Blower, Yamaha YZF-R1M, Harley Davidson WLA 750. Tron Light Cycle Trio
    MBB Design© Mini Bike Bench©
    User avatar
    Twokidsnosleep
    General
    General
    Posts: 18481
    Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:07 pm
    Location: BC,Canada
    Canada

    Re: Aoshima 1/12 Monkey Honda Z50j-1

    Post by Twokidsnosleep »

    Casper wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 4:06 pm
    Twokidsnosleep wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:43 am Really nice indeed
    Love the mods you made
    There are great pinstriping tapes, or make your own with painted Washi tape
    I use those a lot as a cheat cover up for dramatic color transitions like that tough white/ green one on the tank
    Hi scott, thanks mate :thumb1:
    I have some pinstripe tape now but didn't when I did the bike. Washi tape?
    Tamiya tape or the like....they are rice paper based and take paint well.
    Amazon has cheap and a number of colours.
    I can totally see a gold pinstripe at the paint intersections
    Scott

    On, Under or near the desk
    Mr Tamiya Memorial build...Alfa Romeo Bt-46
    WordenB
    First Sergeant
    First Sergeant
    Posts: 500
    Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2020 12:12 pm
    Location: Garden of England
    England

    Re: Aoshima 1/12 Monkey Honda Z50j-1

    Post by WordenB »

    Lovely job Mark, looks like it builds up nicely which is pleasing as I just bought the yellow Gorilla version. I really do need to finish my RC30 first though, I see from your last photo you did!
    My completed efforts are here viewtopic.php?t=29294
    User avatar
    Casper
    Sergeant Major of the Army
    Sergeant Major of the Army
    Posts: 1109
    Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:07 pm
    Location: North Wales
    Wales

    Re: Aoshima 1/12 Monkey Honda Z50j-1

    Post by Casper »

    WordenB wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:47 pm Lovely job Mark, looks like it builds up nicely which is pleasing as I just bought the yellow Gorilla version. I really do need to finish my RC30 first though, I see from your last photo you did!
    Thank you :thumb1:
    you will have lots of fun and some naughty word moments along the way and end up with a great model to be proud of I'm sure :)
    very small and fiddley :)
    Image
    on the bench : VW Barn find, Bentley Blower, Yamaha YZF-R1M, Harley Davidson WLA 750. Tron Light Cycle Trio
    MBB Design© Mini Bike Bench©
    WordenB
    First Sergeant
    First Sergeant
    Posts: 500
    Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2020 12:12 pm
    Location: Garden of England
    England

    Re: Aoshima 1/12 Monkey Honda Z50j-1

    Post by WordenB »

    Thank you Mark, I don't mind small and fiddly until I drop it on the floor then its small and missing!
    My completed efforts are here viewtopic.php?t=29294
    Post Reply

    Return to “Land Gallery”