1/20 Tamiya McLaren MP4/4 - Senna reveal.

Post Reply
User avatar
LWWales
First Sergeant
First Sergeant
Posts: 528
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:24 pm
Wales

1/20 Tamiya McLaren MP4/4 - Senna reveal.

Post by LWWales »

Hi guys! Just under w months since starting, I've got her finished! :dance: Thanks for the comments and encouragement along the way! :bow::

Build thread: viewtopic.php?f=39&t=28784

The car is something I've always like the look of, not being a Formula One fan, but a fan of vehicles and engineering, it always fascinated me how they used the same engine as others on the grid, but managed to squeeze more power out and get the wins!

I saw the kit on eBay and snapped it up as soon as I saw it, the detail set was one of only 2 I could find for sale.

I used Ultimate black and white primer throughout. The gloss black primer was good enough to use as a final colour on many pieces, such as suspension components and some engine bits. I found if you dust it on and dry it with the airbrush, it tones the gloss down to a nice semi gloss!

I used mainly Tamiya acrylics and lacquer for the rest, with some Alclad for the metals. My favourite colour was the light gun metal LP paint used for the transmission.

The body is Tamiya LP2 and Mr Hobby colour 171 for the red. I photocopied the red decals and used them to make a mask.

I used x22 clear and just gave it a buff with the Ultimate buffer so as to keep a little shine, but not too much.

Enough rambling, on to photos! Any tips, critique or questions are welcomed!

Image
Image
Image
Image

Here you can see the scratch built front shocks.

Image
Image

Image
Image
Image
Image
Image

I may replace the photos through the day since some are over exposed and I suck with a camera, haha.

Thanks for looking in guys!
Previously on the bench: Tamiya 1/20 McLaren MP4/4 - Top Studio super detail set.

Current build: Tamiya 1/12 Honda VF750R & Hobby Design set
User avatar
Mpfiend
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant
Posts: 354
Joined: Sun Dec 08, 2019 8:56 am
Location: Sussex
England

Re: 1/20 Tamiya McLaren MP4/4 - Senna reveal.

Post by Mpfiend »

Fantastic!
Regards,
Keith
User avatar
LWWales
First Sergeant
First Sergeant
Posts: 528
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:24 pm
Wales

Re: 1/20 Tamiya McLaren MP4/4 - Senna reveal.

Post by LWWales »

Mpfiend wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:12 amFantastic!
Thanks man! :thumb1:
Previously on the bench: Tamiya 1/20 McLaren MP4/4 - Top Studio super detail set.

Current build: Tamiya 1/12 Honda VF750R & Hobby Design set
User avatar
BOABModels
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class
Posts: 294
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:51 am
Location: Warwick, UK
Contact:
Great Britain

Re: 1/20 Tamiya McLaren MP4/4 - Senna reveal.

Post by BOABModels »

It's so good... Wow!

How easy is it to remove the wheels and cowling etc? I like displaying my models curbside but you've added so much detail, it would be criminal to hide them away all the time!
User avatar
LWWales
First Sergeant
First Sergeant
Posts: 528
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:24 pm
Wales

Re: 1/20 Tamiya McLaren MP4/4 - Senna reveal.

Post by LWWales »

BOABModels wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:29 pm It's so good... Wow!

How easy is it to remove the wheels and cowling etc? I like displaying my models curbside but you've added so much detail, it would be criminal to hide them away all the time!
Thank you dude!

So when I was putting the cowling on, it was a struggle! Then when I was putting the wheels on, every time I turned the model upside down, there was another rattle where I think things were falling off, hahaa. I only put it on for photos, but I'll be taking it off for display when I make a base :D

The wheels are each held on by a small nut, so easy to take off!
Previously on the bench: Tamiya 1/20 McLaren MP4/4 - Top Studio super detail set.

Current build: Tamiya 1/12 Honda VF750R & Hobby Design set
User avatar
BOABModels
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class
Posts: 294
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:51 am
Location: Warwick, UK
Contact:
Great Britain

Re: 1/20 Tamiya McLaren MP4/4 - Senna reveal.

Post by BOABModels »

LWWales wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:58 pm
BOABModels wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:29 pm It's so good... Wow!

How easy is it to remove the wheels and cowling etc? I like displaying my models curbside but you've added so much detail, it would be criminal to hide them away all the time!
Thank you dude!

So when I was putting the cowling on, it was a struggle! Then when I was putting the wheels on, every time I turned the model upside down, there was another rattle where I think things were falling off, hahaa. I only put it on for photos, but I'll be taking it off for display when I make a base :D

The wheels are each held on by a small nut, so easy to take off!
You're welcome!

Interesting about the wheels. When I made the Tamiya Tyrrell P34 (which is 10 years older than this kit) the wheels were a nightmare to get on and they aren't coming off!
User avatar
LWWales
First Sergeant
First Sergeant
Posts: 528
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:24 pm
Wales

Re: 1/20 Tamiya McLaren MP4/4 - Senna reveal.

Post by LWWales »

BOABModels wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:10 pm
LWWales wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:58 pm
BOABModels wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:29 pm It's so good... Wow!

How easy is it to remove the wheels and cowling etc? I like displaying my models curbside but you've added so much detail, it would be criminal to hide them away all the time!
Thank you dude!

So when I was putting the cowling on, it was a struggle! Then when I was putting the wheels on, every time I turned the model upside down, there was another rattle where I think things were falling off, hahaa. I only put it on for photos, but I'll be taking it off for display when I make a base :D

The wheels are each held on by a small nut, so easy to take off!
You're welcome!

Interesting about the wheels. When I made the Tamiya Tyrrell P34 (which is 10 years older than this kit) the wheels were a nightmare to get on and they aren't coming off!
Ahh this kit came with screws for the wheels, but the detail set brakes were astonishingly made, apart from the calipers, they were all metal, with a brass threaded rod and nut, lovely bit of kit!

Image
Previously on the bench: Tamiya 1/20 McLaren MP4/4 - Top Studio super detail set.

Current build: Tamiya 1/12 Honda VF750R & Hobby Design set
BigWall
Chief Warrant Officer 5
Chief Warrant Officer 5
Posts: 2961
Joined: Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:44 pm
Location: Denver, Colorado
United States of America

Re: 1/20 Tamiya McLaren MP4/4 - Senna reveal.

Post by BigWall »

Such amazing detail work! This is beautiful!
Joe

Image
User avatar
Tomcat64
Brigadier General
Brigadier General
Posts: 7188
Joined: Thu Sep 22, 2016 3:24 pm
Location: Swindon, UK
England

Re: 1/20 Tamiya McLaren MP4/4 - Senna reveal.

Post by Tomcat64 »

Absolutely stunning work Luke, that's a superb result :clap: :clap: :clap:
Cheers, Neil

On the Bench:
Revell 1/72 Millennium Falcon - stalled due to stupidity
Tamiya 1/35 Stegosaurus Stenops
Tamiya 1/35 Sherman Firefly VC
User avatar
LWWales
First Sergeant
First Sergeant
Posts: 528
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:24 pm
Wales

Re: 1/20 Tamiya McLaren MP4/4 - Senna reveal.

Post by LWWales »

BigWall wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:22 am Such amazing detail work! This is beautiful!
Thank you! I'm real proud of this one!
Tomcat64 wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:47 pm Absolutely stunning work Luke, that's a superb result :clap: :clap: :clap:
Thank you so much, mate!

Got some better photos today!

Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Previously on the bench: Tamiya 1/20 McLaren MP4/4 - Top Studio super detail set.

Current build: Tamiya 1/12 Honda VF750R & Hobby Design set
User avatar
Kevthemodeller
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
Posts: 5825
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2016 8:31 am
Location: Newton Abbot UK
England

Re: 1/20 Tamiya McLaren MP4/4 - Senna reveal.

Post by Kevthemodeller »

Superb build, lovely detail work :clap: :clap: :clap:
Kev

On the bench:
Martini Brabham BT44B
User avatar
LWWales
First Sergeant
First Sergeant
Posts: 528
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:24 pm
Wales

Re: 1/20 Tamiya McLaren MP4/4 - Senna reveal.

Post by LWWales »

Kevthemodeller wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 10:26 am Superb build, lovely detail work :clap: :clap: :clap:
Thanks mate! Thoroughly enjoyed this one#
Previously on the bench: Tamiya 1/20 McLaren MP4/4 - Top Studio super detail set.

Current build: Tamiya 1/12 Honda VF750R & Hobby Design set
User avatar
barryf1fan
Sergeant Major of the Army
Sergeant Major of the Army
Posts: 1183
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:41 pm
Location: Prev OK, now St. Cloud, FL
United States of America

Re: 1/20 Tamiya McLaren MP4/4 - Senna reveal.

Post by barryf1fan »

Just wow!! First, can't believe I missed this... Second, AWESOME! I love all the wiring and piping you did with it, just incredible!

:clap: :clap: :clap:
All of us get lost in the darkness, Dreamers learn to steer by the stars,
All of us do time in the gutter, Dreamers turn to look at the cars.

On the Bench: Fujimi Porsche 911 GT3 x2 - Flying Lizard 2011 GT3 cars, #80 & #81
Up Next: 1/20 Tamiya McLaren MP4/5 F1
newjerseydamo
Corporal
Corporal
Posts: 88
Joined: Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:12 am
Contact:
Australia

Re: 1/20 Tamiya McLaren MP4/4 - Senna reveal.

Post by newjerseydamo »

Absolutely beautiful.
On the bench: Tamiya 1/24 Porsche Turbo RSR Type 934 Jägermeister (24328) - Group Build
Next Build: Tamiya Yamaha YZR-M1 '04 (14100)
User avatar
LWWales
First Sergeant
First Sergeant
Posts: 528
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:24 pm
Wales

Re: 1/20 Tamiya McLaren MP4/4 - Senna reveal.

Post by LWWales »

barryf1fan wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 2:56 pm Just wow!! First, can't believe I missed this... Second, AWESOME! I love all the wiring and piping you did with it, just incredible!

:clap: :clap: :clap:
Thanks mate, there's a few bits I left out due to the fiddliness, but I don't think it takes anything away from it.
newjerseydamo wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 9:27 pm Absolutely beautiful.
Thanks for the kind words!
Previously on the bench: Tamiya 1/20 McLaren MP4/4 - Top Studio super detail set.

Current build: Tamiya 1/12 Honda VF750R & Hobby Design set
User avatar
Twokidsnosleep
General
General
Posts: 18481
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:07 pm
Location: BC,Canada
Canada

Re: 1/20 Tamiya McLaren MP4/4 - Senna reveal.

Post by Twokidsnosleep »

How did I miss this???!!!
Absolutely gorgeous modelling, really well done
Superbly impressive :banana: :banana: :banana:
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Scott

On, Under or near the desk
Mr Tamiya Memorial build...Alfa Romeo Bt-46
User avatar
DRUMS01
Chief Warrant Officer 4
Chief Warrant Officer 4
Posts: 2352
Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2016 1:48 am
Location: Ohio, USA
United States of America

Re: 1/20 Tamiya McLaren MP4/4 - Senna reveal.

Post by DRUMS01 »

Very nice indeed!

Ben
On the table or recently completed:

1/18 AV8-B Harrier - WIP
1/35 Churchill AVRE with SBG Bridge Diorama - DONE
75mm BMW R75 WW2 motorcycle with rider - DONE
User avatar
LWWales
First Sergeant
First Sergeant
Posts: 528
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:24 pm
Wales

Re: 1/20 Tamiya McLaren MP4/4 - Senna reveal.

Post by LWWales »

Twokidsnosleep wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 11:39 pm How did I miss this???!!!
Absolutely gorgeous modelling, really well done
Superbly impressive :banana: :banana: :banana:
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Thank you so much! Three 'naanaas and 6 claps!? I'm honoured :lol:
DRUMS01 wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 1:12 am Very nice indeed!

Ben
Thank you, Ben! :)
Previously on the bench: Tamiya 1/20 McLaren MP4/4 - Top Studio super detail set.

Current build: Tamiya 1/12 Honda VF750R & Hobby Design set
User avatar
Casper
Sergeant Major of the Army
Sergeant Major of the Army
Posts: 1109
Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:07 pm
Location: North Wales
Wales

Re: 1/20 Tamiya McLaren MP4/4 - Senna reveal.

Post by Casper »

wow great work, some superb detailing
Image
on the bench : VW Barn find, Bentley Blower, Yamaha YZF-R1M, Harley Davidson WLA 750. Tron Light Cycle Trio
MBB Design© Mini Bike Bench©
User avatar
LWWales
First Sergeant
First Sergeant
Posts: 528
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:24 pm
Wales

Re: 1/20 Tamiya McLaren MP4/4 - Senna reveal.

Post by LWWales »

A little update on this... Well, I was making a base for it and popped it under the bench on a stack of kits. I forgot and knocked it off :( :wall:

Here she is now...

Image
Image
Image

At least now I know my superglue wasn't good at all. Seems like I would have been better using a glue stick! :lol:
Previously on the bench: Tamiya 1/20 McLaren MP4/4 - Top Studio super detail set.

Current build: Tamiya 1/12 Honda VF750R & Hobby Design set
BigWall
Chief Warrant Officer 5
Chief Warrant Officer 5
Posts: 2961
Joined: Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:44 pm
Location: Denver, Colorado
United States of America

Re: 1/20 Tamiya McLaren MP4/4 - Senna reveal.

Post by BigWall »

Ouch! Time for a sci fi kit bash?
Joe

Image
User avatar
Gary30
Sergeant Major of the Army
Sergeant Major of the Army
Posts: 1125
Joined: Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:10 pm
Wales

Re: 1/20 Tamiya McLaren MP4/4 - Senna reveal.

Post by Gary30 »

:jd: :boom:
Portfolio
Click here
User avatar
Casper
Sergeant Major of the Army
Sergeant Major of the Army
Posts: 1109
Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:07 pm
Location: North Wales
Wales

Re: 1/20 Tamiya McLaren MP4/4 - Senna reveal.

Post by Casper »

OMG that's a bummer. superb build.
I hope its a saver mate after all the superb work you did. :cry:
Image
on the bench : VW Barn find, Bentley Blower, Yamaha YZF-R1M, Harley Davidson WLA 750. Tron Light Cycle Trio
MBB Design© Mini Bike Bench©
User avatar
LWWales
First Sergeant
First Sergeant
Posts: 528
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:24 pm
Wales

Re: 1/20 Tamiya McLaren MP4/4 - Senna reveal.

Post by LWWales »

BigWall wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 3:10 am Ouch! Time for a sci fi kit bash?
Now that's a plan! :lol:
Gary30 wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 7:22 am:jd: :boom:
:cry:
Casper wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 9:21 am OMG that's a bummer. superb build.
I hope its a saver mate after all the superb work you did. :cry:
Thanks mate! I'll give it a go at some point, when I drop crying every time I look at it :lol:
Previously on the bench: Tamiya 1/20 McLaren MP4/4 - Top Studio super detail set.

Current build: Tamiya 1/12 Honda VF750R & Hobby Design set
Post Reply

Return to “Land Gallery”