Meccano Ferrari and Ducati

Post Reply
User avatar
ryan81
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Posts: 171
Joined: Sun Dec 15, 2019 2:42 am
Location: Wellington, NZ
New Zealand

Meccano Ferrari and Ducati

Post by ryan81 »

Hi all,

Something a little different for you all, but close to modelling. Picked up these Meccano kits the other day as I wanted something to relax with over an afternoon or two without having to really focus on a model

I present to you, the Ferrari SF71H F1 car and Ducati Desmosedici GP

ImageImageImageImageImage

Completed each kit over two afternoons - probably about 8-9 hours for the Ferrari and 5-6 hours for the Ducati. Ferrari was a bit more difficult due to the nature of how everything screws together, but part of the time wasting was optimising the use of the tools provided.

Ferrari is about 27cm long and Ducati about 24cm long

Would recommend if you're looking for a more assembly-based exercise!
On the bench:
Tamiya Ferrari F189 1/20
User avatar
LWWales
First Sergeant
First Sergeant
Posts: 528
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:24 pm
Wales

Re: Meccano Ferrari and Ducati

Post by LWWales »

Very nice! I may have to get some mecano. It's been years since. I'll never forget getting a big box of it as a kid, it was in a blue carry case. I wasn't good enough to follow instructions, so I used to have to get my mother to sit on the floor with me and build cranes. Good times!
Previously on the bench: Tamiya 1/20 McLaren MP4/4 - Top Studio super detail set.

Current build: Tamiya 1/12 Honda VF750R & Hobby Design set
User avatar
jchrisf
First Sergeant
First Sergeant
Posts: 532
Joined: Mon May 07, 2018 2:43 pm
Location: Melbourne, FL
United States of America

Re: Meccano Ferrari and Ducati

Post by jchrisf »

Cool.. I've never heard of this..
Chris

Previous Build: Revell Joey Saldana Sprint Car

Current Build: Monogram Frank Iaconio Chevy Camero Pro-Stock

Next Build: ?
User avatar
ryan81
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Posts: 171
Joined: Sun Dec 15, 2019 2:42 am
Location: Wellington, NZ
New Zealand

Re: Meccano Ferrari and Ducati

Post by ryan81 »

jchrisf wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:34 pm Cool.. I've never heard of this..
This is I guess what you'd call Lego for bigger kids/adults. Teaches some good skills around using a spanner/allen key. It's all made from metal and plastic pieces, depending on if you want the piece to be coloured or be able to bend.

There are specific kits, such as these ones, but you can also get generic kits which have a range of more simple builds such as cranes. Many pieces are frequently used across different kits, as opposed to specific designs on models
On the bench:
Tamiya Ferrari F189 1/20
User avatar
ryan81
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Posts: 171
Joined: Sun Dec 15, 2019 2:42 am
Location: Wellington, NZ
New Zealand

Re: Meccano Ferrari and Ducati

Post by ryan81 »

LWWales wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:05 am Very nice! I may have to get some mecano. It's been years since. I'll never forget getting a big box of it as a kid, it was in a blue carry case. I wasn't good enough to follow instructions, so I used to have to get my mother to sit on the floor with me and build cranes. Good times!
It's good fun and a fun trip down memory lane. My Meccano exposure was limited as a kit but my dad pulled out his old box, much like what you described, which had instructions for a range of builds including a crane.
On the bench:
Tamiya Ferrari F189 1/20
User avatar
Bdiddy
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant
Posts: 434
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2020 2:21 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Australia

Re: Meccano Ferrari and Ducati

Post by Bdiddy »

brilliant idea mate, they look fantastic! nice to give your brain a rest from the constant perils of model building lol
Jesse

Current build: 1/24 Aoshima McLaren F1 GTR Longtail

Next build: :scratch::
NoelSmith
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class
Posts: 326
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2015 2:35 pm
Great Britain

Re: Meccano Ferrari and Ducati

Post by NoelSmith »

Meccano............Now there's a blast from the past!
Way back in the fifties there was actually a Meccano magazine too!
User avatar
digger303
General
General
Posts: 16667
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:01 am
Location: Western Australia
Australia

Re: Meccano Ferrari and Ducati

Post by digger303 »

Yep I used to have a small kit when I was a lad. Spent many hrs building and disassembling although I didn't like to build anything that required me to bend a piece . I didn't like the pieces to be all bent and misshapen as repeated bends do to a piece of metal.
Listen and appear wise
Image
Image

scalemates stash https://www.scalemates.com/profiles/mat ... ION[]=Kits
Image
User avatar
ryan81
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Posts: 171
Joined: Sun Dec 15, 2019 2:42 am
Location: Wellington, NZ
New Zealand

Re: Meccano Ferrari and Ducati

Post by ryan81 »

NoelSmith wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 6:00 pm Meccano............Now there's a blast from the past!
Way back in the fifties there was actually a Meccano magazine too!
Yup many generations have had their enjoyment from Meccano now!
On the bench:
Tamiya Ferrari F189 1/20
User avatar
Casper
Sergeant Major of the Army
Sergeant Major of the Army
Posts: 1109
Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:07 pm
Location: North Wales
Wales

Re: Meccano Ferrari and Ducati

Post by Casper »

8-) Loving the Ferrari
Image
on the bench : VW Barn find, Bentley Blower, Yamaha YZF-R1M, Harley Davidson WLA 750. Tron Light Cycle Trio
MBB Design© Mini Bike Bench©
Post Reply

Return to “Land Gallery”