Tamiya Hayabusa

Post Reply
User avatar
Kevthemodeller
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
Posts: 5825
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2016 8:31 am
Location: Newton Abbot UK
England

Tamiya Hayabusa

Post by Kevthemodeller »

It's taken 6 months due to work issues but I'm there :banana: :th:

Really enjoyed the build typical Tamiya it just goes together, this being nearly 20yr old kit needed the odd bit of fettling here and there. The back light unit was the worst of these, although it fitted in the rear cowling, the cowling with the light wouldn't fit to the rear of the bike, required some trimming which was a pain as it was all painted. Note to self you still need to dry fit everything, including Tamiya.

The other area that lets the kit down is the firing masks which are full of tight curves, aren't precut. This would be a very easy fix, I hope their later masks are cut?

As said it is a 20yr old kit and I'm sure their later kits are much better.
Image
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Kev

On the bench:
Martini Brabham BT44B
luc75
Private First Class
Private First Class
Posts: 36
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2021 2:34 pm
Location: England
England

Re: Tamiya Hayabusa

Post by luc75 »

That's a lovely build Kev :banana: :banana:
Luke :thumb2:
Garion77
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer
Posts: 1386
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2016 2:15 pm
Location: Terrebonne, QC, Canada
Canada

Re: Tamiya Hayabusa

Post by Garion77 »

Really nice ! I'm not into real bikes but love the kits of them even if I never built one. I'm always impressed on the metallic finish achieved. Nice work ! :cheers2:
Francis

Image


At the bench
Tamiya's 1/72 F-16 and 1/48 Skyraider
User avatar
digger303
General
General
Posts: 16667
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:01 am
Location: Western Australia
Australia

Re: Tamiya Hayabusa

Post by digger303 »

A super clean paint job a factory finish if ever I saw one. Not a spot of lint or dust to mar the paint at all and that's a achievement all on its own.
:bow:: :bow:: :bow::
:cheers2:
Listen and appear wise
Image
Image

scalemates stash https://www.scalemates.com/profiles/mat ... ION[]=Kits
Image
User avatar
MrBowcat
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Posts: 828
Joined: Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:34 pm
Location: London
England

Re: Tamiya Hayabusa

Post by MrBowcat »

Lovely finish Kev, one to be proud of mate. :)
Si vis pacem, para bellum
User avatar
Twokidsnosleep
General
General
Posts: 18481
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:07 pm
Location: BC,Canada
Canada

Re: Tamiya Hayabusa

Post by Twokidsnosleep »

Very sleek machine :th:
Fantastic build
Scott

On, Under or near the desk
Mr Tamiya Memorial build...Alfa Romeo Bt-46
BigWall
Chief Warrant Officer 5
Chief Warrant Officer 5
Posts: 2961
Joined: Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:44 pm
Location: Denver, Colorado
United States of America

Re: Tamiya Hayabusa

Post by BigWall »

Super nice Kev! It's spot on.

My wife and kids bought me this model, in '83 or so, because I owned one. Circumstances made it so I couldn't finish it. I still have it and need to complete it sometime.
Joe

Image
WordenB
First Sergeant
First Sergeant
Posts: 500
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2020 12:12 pm
Location: Garden of England
England

Re: Tamiya Hayabusa

Post by WordenB »

Beautiful build Kev, very well done!
My completed efforts are here viewtopic.php?t=29294
User avatar
Mpfiend
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant
Posts: 354
Joined: Sun Dec 08, 2019 8:56 am
Location: Sussex
England

Re: Tamiya Hayabusa

Post by Mpfiend »

Very nice finish, great paintwork.
Regards,
Keith
User avatar
Kevthemodeller
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
Posts: 5825
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2016 8:31 am
Location: Newton Abbot UK
England

Re: Tamiya Hayabusa

Post by Kevthemodeller »

luc75 wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 10:28 am That's a lovely build Kev :banana: :banana:
:cheers2: mate
Garion77 wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 11:08 am Really nice ! I'm not into real bikes but love the kits of them even if I never built one. I'm always impressed on the metallic finish achieved. Nice work ! :cheers2:
:cheers2: mate. I took a lot of trial and error to select a set of metallic paints that work and give me a consistent finish.
digger303 wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 11:12 am A super clean paint job a factory finish if ever I saw one. Not a spot of lint or dust to mar the paint at all and that's a achievement all on its own.
:bow:: :bow:: :bow::
:cheers2:
:cheers2: mate, there's a few spots here and there albeit small ones. They all got there on the last coat of clear, I knocked over a couple of primer bottles, the large dropper bottle type I keep on top of benchvent. Which stirred up some dust and of course wet clear is a dust magnet :wall: luckily they're just a few and very small :th:
MrBowcat wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 4:13 pm Lovely finish Kev, one to be proud of mate. :)
:cheers2: mate
Twokidsnosleep wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 4:43 pm Very sleek machine :th:
Fantastic build
:cheers2: Scott, next one I'm going to attempt some up detailing like your recent bike build :th:
BigWall wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 9:28 pm Super nice Kev! It's spot on.

My wife and kids bought me this model, in '83 or so, because I owned one. Circumstances made it so I couldn't finish it. I still have it and need to complete it sometime.
:cheers2: mate are you sure it was a Hayabusa? They weren't launched until 1999
WordenB wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 5:50 pm Beautiful build Kev, very well done!
:cheers2: Mate
Mpfiend wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 5:18 am Very nice finish, great paintwork.
:cheers2: mate
Kev

On the bench:
Martini Brabham BT44B
User avatar
RangerNeil
Major
Major
Posts: 4745
Joined: Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:42 pm
Location: Dagenham
Contact:
Great Britain

Re: Tamiya Hayabusa

Post by RangerNeil »

Thats a beautiful build - well done. :cheers2:
As others have said, bikes aren't my thing - but the finished look of this one "speaks" to me and makes me want to get back to the modelling table so badly!!
    Neil (yet another one...)

    On the board now:

    Airfix 1/35 Alvis Stalwart Mk2 FV622
    Hasegawa 1/48 A8 Crusader

    Scalemates stash info
    =58417&fkSTASHSTATUS[]=58417-Stash&page=stash]Scalemates Stash manager
    BigWall
    Chief Warrant Officer 5
    Chief Warrant Officer 5
    Posts: 2961
    Joined: Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:44 pm
    Location: Denver, Colorado
    United States of America

    Re: Tamiya Hayabusa

    Post by BigWall »

    Kevthemodeller wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 8:41 am
    BigWall wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 9:28 pm Super nice Kev! It's spot on.

    My wife and kids bought me this model, in '83 or so, because I owned one. Circumstances made it so I couldn't finish it. I still have it and need to complete it sometime.
    Oh man! I totally mistyped that. My Hayabusa was an '02. They bought me the model in '03 I think.
    Joe

    Image
    User avatar
    barryf1fan
    Sergeant Major of the Army
    Sergeant Major of the Army
    Posts: 1183
    Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:41 pm
    Location: Prev OK, now St. Cloud, FL
    United States of America

    Re: Tamiya Hayabusa

    Post by barryf1fan »

    Image

    Love the color - beautiful build !!! :cheers2:
    All of us get lost in the darkness, Dreamers learn to steer by the stars,
    All of us do time in the gutter, Dreamers turn to look at the cars.

    On the Bench: Fujimi Porsche 911 GT3 x2 - Flying Lizard 2011 GT3 cars, #80 & #81
    Up Next: 1/20 Tamiya McLaren MP4/5 F1
    User avatar
    Donkeywalloper
    Chief Warrant Officer 4
    Chief Warrant Officer 4
    Posts: 2629
    Joined: Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:06 pm
    Location: Burton upon Trent
    Great Britain

    Re: Tamiya Hayabusa

    Post by Donkeywalloper »

    As I mentioned not my thing bikes, but the modelling skills you have put into this build are truly impressive. Awesome result.
    DW
    Bench:1/35 Tamiya Tiger 1 Mid Production with lots of Aftermarket Stuff
    Completed: Vespid 1/72 Comet A10
    Shelf: Lots (101 Kits of multiple scales) of Armour + couple of Flappy / Wing Things, found a KV2 95% built and primed four years ago. Plus a few Lego Tech kits, to help restore MoJo
    User avatar
    Kevthemodeller
    Lieutenant Colonel
    Lieutenant Colonel
    Posts: 5825
    Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2016 8:31 am
    Location: Newton Abbot UK
    England

    Re: Tamiya Hayabusa

    Post by Kevthemodeller »

    RangerNeil wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:05 pm Thats a beautiful build - well done. :cheers2:
    As others have said, bikes aren't my thing - but the finished look of this one "speaks" to me and makes me want to get back to the modelling table so badly!!
    :cheers2: Neil hope to see you back at the bench very soon :th:
    BigWall wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 6:56 pm Oh man! I totally mistyped that. My Hayabusa was an '02. They bought me the model in '03 I think
    That makes sense now Joe :th:
    barryf1fan wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 9:44 pm Image

    Love the color - beautiful build !!! :cheers2:
    :cheers2: Barry :th:
    Donkeywalloper wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 7:13 am As I mentioned not my thing bikes, but the modelling skills you have put into this build are truly impressive. Awesome result.
    DW
    :cheers2: DW :th: I just need to speed up a bit lol
    Kev

    On the bench:
    Martini Brabham BT44B
    User avatar
    Tomcat64
    Brigadier General
    Brigadier General
    Posts: 7188
    Joined: Thu Sep 22, 2016 3:24 pm
    Location: Swindon, UK
    England

    Re: Tamiya Hayabusa

    Post by Tomcat64 »

    Cracking result Kev - that paintwork is absolutely stunning mate :th:
    Cheers, Neil

    On the Bench:
    Revell 1/72 Millennium Falcon - stalled due to stupidity
    Tamiya 1/35 Stegosaurus Stenops
    Tamiya 1/35 Sherman Firefly VC
    User avatar
    Kevthemodeller
    Lieutenant Colonel
    Lieutenant Colonel
    Posts: 5825
    Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2016 8:31 am
    Location: Newton Abbot UK
    England

    Re: Tamiya Hayabusa

    Post by Kevthemodeller »

    Tomcat64 wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 2:03 pm Cracking result Kev - that paintwork is absolutely stunning mate :th:
    Thanks Neil :cheers2:
    Kev

    On the bench:
    Martini Brabham BT44B
    User avatar
    cor
    Warrant Officer
    Warrant Officer
    Posts: 1532
    Joined: Sun May 23, 2021 10:34 am
    Location: Sydney, Australia
    Australia

    Re: Tamiya Hayabusa

    Post by cor »

    Very nice. Looks like its on the showroom floor. paint finish is immaculate.
    User avatar
    Kevthemodeller
    Lieutenant Colonel
    Lieutenant Colonel
    Posts: 5825
    Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2016 8:31 am
    Location: Newton Abbot UK
    England

    Re: Tamiya Hayabusa

    Post by Kevthemodeller »

    cor wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 5:26 am Very nice. Looks like its on the showroom floor. paint finish is immaculate.

    :cheers2: mate much appreciated.
    Kev

    On the bench:
    Martini Brabham BT44B
    Post Reply

    Return to “Land Gallery”