Tamiya 1/12 Suzuki Ecstar GSX-RR ’20

Cars, trucks and bikes
User avatar
MrBowcat
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Posts: 828
Joined: Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:34 pm
Location: London
England

Tamiya 1/12 Suzuki Ecstar GSX-RR ’20

Post by MrBowcat »

Morning All,

This turned up in the post yesterday so I got straight to work. It's being to built out of the box, the only extra bits I've ordered are the Studio 27 carbon fibre decals, Zero paints Suzuki silver and blue and a paint mask. I was considering getting the add on fork set, but I just don't think it's value for money at £32 for parts that are mostly hidden.

Image


I just made a start getting all the engine components off the sprues and cleaned up ready for primer tonight.

Image
Si vis pacem, para bellum
User avatar
Twokidsnosleep
General
General
Posts: 18481
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:07 pm
Location: BC,Canada
Canada

Re: Tamiya 1/12 Suzuki Ecstar GSX-RR ’20

Post by Twokidsnosleep »

Sweet
:pop:
Scott

On, Under or near the desk
Mr Tamiya Memorial build...Alfa Romeo Bt-46
Johnj
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer
Posts: 1377
Joined: Sun Jun 26, 2016 5:40 pm
Location: Clydebank, Glasgow.
Scotland

Re: Tamiya 1/12 Suzuki Ecstar GSX-RR ’20

Post by Johnj »

Nice one. I'll follow along if you dont mind 👍
Money is'nt everything but it sure keep's the kid's in touch.
WordenB
First Sergeant
First Sergeant
Posts: 500
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2020 12:12 pm
Location: Garden of England
England

Re: Tamiya 1/12 Suzuki Ecstar GSX-RR ’20

Post by WordenB »

Following along too, I hope to get this kit one day.
My completed efforts are here viewtopic.php?t=29294
User avatar
Mpfiend
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant
Posts: 354
Joined: Sun Dec 08, 2019 8:56 am
Location: Sussex
England

Re: Tamiya 1/12 Suzuki Ecstar GSX-RR ’20

Post by Mpfiend »

Following with interest.
The paint scheme for this one looks like a challenge.
Regards,
Keith
User avatar
cor
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer
Posts: 1532
Joined: Sun May 23, 2021 10:34 am
Location: Sydney, Australia
Australia

Re: Tamiya 1/12 Suzuki Ecstar GSX-RR ’20

Post by cor »

I think a lot of those detail up parts are well overpriced. If you're into it, great, but like you say, you wont even see the forks. That's a cool bike, and like all those Tamiya bikes, will look awesome when complete.
User avatar
digger303
General
General
Posts: 16667
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:01 am
Location: Western Australia
Australia

Re: Tamiya 1/12 Suzuki Ecstar GSX-RR ’20

Post by digger303 »

You do know the large scale build starts Sept 1..... :wtf: :lol:
Very nice start with the engine parts and a wise choice hanging back on the fork upgrade.
:th: :th: :th:
:cheers2:
Listen and appear wise
Image
Image

scalemates stash https://www.scalemates.com/profiles/mat ... ION[]=Kits
Image
User avatar
MrBowcat
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Posts: 828
Joined: Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:34 pm
Location: London
England

Re: Tamiya 1/12 Suzuki Ecstar GSX-RR ’20

Post by MrBowcat »

Morning all. :)

Welcome aboard one and all. I didn't know about the group build Digger, but I'm well into this one now. I do however want to build the soon to be released Ducati Superleggera V4 so might be able to build that one if the timings right.

I finished up the engine over the weekend, it's painted in a variety of Mr Hobby and Tamiya lacquers.

Image

Image

Other than that I've glued up the frame, rear seat/bodywork and the pit stand. I'm now waiting on some Mr Surfacer 1500 to arrive so I can get some more painting done, but will continue cleaning up parts and sub-assemblies in the meantime.
Si vis pacem, para bellum
User avatar
digger303
General
General
Posts: 16667
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:01 am
Location: Western Australia
Australia

Re: Tamiya 1/12 Suzuki Ecstar GSX-RR ’20

Post by digger303 »

Engine looks terrific and your not even finished it.
:clap: :clap: :clap:
:cheers2:
Listen and appear wise
Image
Image

scalemates stash https://www.scalemates.com/profiles/mat ... ION[]=Kits
Image
User avatar
cor
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer
Posts: 1532
Joined: Sun May 23, 2021 10:34 am
Location: Sydney, Australia
Australia

Re: Tamiya 1/12 Suzuki Ecstar GSX-RR ’20

Post by cor »

Nice clean work. Looks awesome.
WordenB
First Sergeant
First Sergeant
Posts: 500
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2020 12:12 pm
Location: Garden of England
England

Re: Tamiya 1/12 Suzuki Ecstar GSX-RR ’20

Post by WordenB »

Excellent start Mr B, quality work as always.
My completed efforts are here viewtopic.php?t=29294
User avatar
MrBowcat
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Posts: 828
Joined: Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:34 pm
Location: London
England

Re: Tamiya 1/12 Suzuki Ecstar GSX-RR ’20

Post by MrBowcat »

Cheers guys. :)
Si vis pacem, para bellum
User avatar
MrBowcat
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Posts: 828
Joined: Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:34 pm
Location: London
England

Re: Tamiya 1/12 Suzuki Ecstar GSX-RR ’20

Post by MrBowcat »

Morning all. :)

My plan had been to prime and paint all the body parts so they could be curing while I got on with other stuff. Unfortunately I found I was almost out of primer so didn't get very far. Instead I've been cleaning up parts while I wait for a delivery.

Image


Of the parts I did manage to prime before I ran out I was pleased that I got the join on the mud guard filled first time. The under tray not so much, still had a couple of divots so that's had a second round of filler.

Image

Image

I'm hoping the new primer will arrive today or tomorrow so I can get on with some more painting.
Si vis pacem, para bellum
User avatar
Gary30
Sergeant Major of the Army
Sergeant Major of the Army
Posts: 1125
Joined: Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:10 pm
Wales

Re: Tamiya 1/12 Suzuki Ecstar GSX-RR ’20

Post by Gary30 »

Lovely start! I've got this kit too and would echo the comments about the fork set on this one, I didn't see the value, so opted for the carbon fibre decal sheet instead, and a 3D printed chain from Fat Frog.

Looking forward to seeing you progress :pop:
Portfolio
Click here
User avatar
MrBowcat
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Posts: 828
Joined: Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:34 pm
Location: London
England

Re: Tamiya 1/12 Suzuki Ecstar GSX-RR ’20

Post by MrBowcat »

Morning all. :)

Got my backside in gear over the last couple of evenings and got some paint down.

First up is the frame, painted in Tamiya LP48 Sparkling Silver, which is a lovely colour, then masked off for the black bits. Still a bit of detail painting to be done, mostly at the rear end, although I'm not entirely happy with the front cowl so might knock that back and repaint.

Image

Next up was the airbox and fuel tank, again a little detail painting to be done.

Image

Swing arm next, yet more detail painting and some CF decals to be added.

Image

And the pit stand. The gold on the other parts was so nice I decided to do this the same colour, especially as the other bits will be hidden when the build is complete.

Image

With all that out of the way I then primed and painted all of the body panels in the Zero Paints colour correct silver. Hoping to get these masked and the blue painted tonight.

Image

Image

Image

And just in time for that the masks and CF decals arrived. The kit does come with masks but they are not pre-cut, it was worth a fiver to me to get pre-cut masks for a better finish.

Image
Si vis pacem, para bellum
User avatar
digger303
General
General
Posts: 16667
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:01 am
Location: Western Australia
Australia

Re: Tamiya 1/12 Suzuki Ecstar GSX-RR ’20

Post by digger303 »

Paint is going down flawlessly.
:th: :th: :th:
:cheers2:
Listen and appear wise
Image
Image

scalemates stash https://www.scalemates.com/profiles/mat ... ION[]=Kits
Image
User avatar
MrBowcat
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Posts: 828
Joined: Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:34 pm
Location: London
England

Re: Tamiya 1/12 Suzuki Ecstar GSX-RR ’20

Post by MrBowcat »

Cheers Digger. :)

Yep, mostly all good other than a spit on the right side of the cowling so going to have to rub it back and re-paint.
Si vis pacem, para bellum
User avatar
Gary30
Sergeant Major of the Army
Sergeant Major of the Army
Posts: 1125
Joined: Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:10 pm
Wales

Re: Tamiya 1/12 Suzuki Ecstar GSX-RR ’20

Post by Gary30 »

I've been singing the praises of LP-48 for YEARS now, it really is top notch! :thumb2:

Build is looking great, look forward to seeing how those carbon decals go down so I know what to expect when I tackle mine :thumb1:
Portfolio
Click here
User avatar
Mpfiend
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant
Posts: 354
Joined: Sun Dec 08, 2019 8:56 am
Location: Sussex
England

Re: Tamiya 1/12 Suzuki Ecstar GSX-RR ’20

Post by Mpfiend »

Nice work with the paint.
What "gold" colour did you use, it is a stunning colour.
I'm really looking forward to the updates on this build.
Regards,
Keith
User avatar
MrBowcat
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Posts: 828
Joined: Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:34 pm
Location: London
England

Re: Tamiya 1/12 Suzuki Ecstar GSX-RR ’20

Post by MrBowcat »

Cheers gents. :)

Gary, I'm hoping they will be ok. I used Studio 27 CF decals on the Kawasaki HE and they were fine.

Keith, the gold is Tamiya TS21.
Si vis pacem, para bellum
User avatar
Twokidsnosleep
General
General
Posts: 18481
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:07 pm
Location: BC,Canada
Canada

Re: Tamiya 1/12 Suzuki Ecstar GSX-RR ’20

Post by Twokidsnosleep »

Bike kits have A LOT of paint call-outs especially on the engine, but boy do they look good once it all comes together
This is looking real good :thumb2:
Scott

On, Under or near the desk
Mr Tamiya Memorial build...Alfa Romeo Bt-46
User avatar
MrBowcat
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Posts: 828
Joined: Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:34 pm
Location: London
England

Re: Tamiya 1/12 Suzuki Ecstar GSX-RR ’20

Post by MrBowcat »

Cheers Scott. :)

I was thinking the same last night, bike kits are mostly a variety of metals with some blacks and a little bit of colour on the fairings.

Speaking of which, how nice is this blue, even before gloss coat.

Image
Si vis pacem, para bellum
User avatar
Mpfiend
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant
Posts: 354
Joined: Sun Dec 08, 2019 8:56 am
Location: Sussex
England

Re: Tamiya 1/12 Suzuki Ecstar GSX-RR ’20

Post by Mpfiend »

MrBowcat wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 6:52 pm Cheers gents. :)

Keith, the gold is Tamiya TS21.
Thanks very much, did you spray it over a black base coat? it really is a stunning gold colour.
the body work looks amazing, that blue is really nice and will "pop" with the clear on it.
Keep up the excellent work.
Regards,
Keith
User avatar
MrBowcat
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Posts: 828
Joined: Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:34 pm
Location: London
England

Re: Tamiya 1/12 Suzuki Ecstar GSX-RR ’20

Post by MrBowcat »

Cheers Keith. :)

Yes, a gloss black (Tamiya LP1) then a few thin coats of the TS21.
Si vis pacem, para bellum
User avatar
Mpfiend
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant
Posts: 354
Joined: Sun Dec 08, 2019 8:56 am
Location: Sussex
England

Re: Tamiya 1/12 Suzuki Ecstar GSX-RR ’20

Post by Mpfiend »

MrBowcat wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 10:09 am Cheers Keith. :)
Yes, a gloss black (Tamiya LP1) then a few thin coats of the TS21.
Thanks again :thumb1: :thumb1:
Regards,
Keith
User avatar
digger303
General
General
Posts: 16667
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:01 am
Location: Western Australia
Australia

Re: Tamiya 1/12 Suzuki Ecstar GSX-RR ’20

Post by digger303 »

The blue is really nice and I can see depth to it.
:th: :th: :th:
:cheers2:
Listen and appear wise
Image
Image

scalemates stash https://www.scalemates.com/profiles/mat ... ION[]=Kits
Image
User avatar
MrBowcat
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Posts: 828
Joined: Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:34 pm
Location: London
England

Re: Tamiya 1/12 Suzuki Ecstar GSX-RR ’20

Post by MrBowcat »

Afternoon all. :)

So I've spent a lot of time over the past week on decals. This was quite slow going for some of them as they were multi part and had to be matched up.

Image

Image


There were also quite a few CF decals for the frame, swing arm and cowl which proved to be a pain as they kept splitting. I find this strange as I used Studio 27 CF for the Kawasaki H2 Carbon and had no issues. Still, they look good when done.

Image


And I had around 20 screw/bolt head decals to install which take an age to lay over the hemispherical bumps on the kit.

Image

I'm going to leave that all a couple of days then get the gloss coat down. In the meantime it's back to sticking other bits together.
Si vis pacem, para bellum
User avatar
DRUMS01
Chief Warrant Officer 4
Chief Warrant Officer 4
Posts: 2352
Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2016 1:48 am
Location: Ohio, USA
United States of America

Re: Tamiya 1/12 Suzuki Ecstar GSX-RR ’20

Post by DRUMS01 »

Absolutely love the paint scheme. Good work all around on this one.

Ben / DRUMS01
On the table or recently completed:

1/18 AV8-B Harrier - WIP
1/35 Churchill AVRE with SBG Bridge Diorama - DONE
75mm BMW R75 WW2 motorcycle with rider - DONE
User avatar
Mpfiend
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant
Posts: 354
Joined: Sun Dec 08, 2019 8:56 am
Location: Sussex
England

Re: Tamiya 1/12 Suzuki Ecstar GSX-RR ’20

Post by Mpfiend »

Cracking job on the decals and paint.
All the hard work was really worth it.
Regards,
Keith
User avatar
MrBowcat
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Posts: 828
Joined: Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:34 pm
Location: London
England

Re: Tamiya 1/12 Suzuki Ecstar GSX-RR ’20

Post by MrBowcat »

Cheers guys. :)
Si vis pacem, para bellum
User avatar
MrBowcat
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Posts: 828
Joined: Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:34 pm
Location: London
England

Re: Tamiya 1/12 Suzuki Ecstar GSX-RR ’20

Post by MrBowcat »

Morning all. :)

Another weekend of painting and decals.

Wheels up first, annoying seam around all the spokes which was tricky to get to the corners of.

Image

Swing arm is now complete, just need to get the chain painted then the engine and swing arm can get attached to the frame

Image

Image

A load more CF parts. I had slightly less problems with these by using hotter water to soften the decals before application, but some of the smaller parts still required liberal use of setting solution and hot air to conform. The part on the left (which I think is a tire/brake cooling duct) alone was 10 separate parts and took an age.

Image

And some miscellaneous other bits that I painted while I had the booth running.

Image
Si vis pacem, para bellum
User avatar
cor
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer
Posts: 1532
Joined: Sun May 23, 2021 10:34 am
Location: Sydney, Australia
Australia

Re: Tamiya 1/12 Suzuki Ecstar GSX-RR ’20

Post by cor »

That be some nice work.
User avatar
MrBowcat
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Posts: 828
Joined: Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:34 pm
Location: London
England

Re: Tamiya 1/12 Suzuki Ecstar GSX-RR ’20

Post by MrBowcat »

Morning all. :)

Progress has been made and I now have something that's starting to resemble a motorcycle.

Rear end was completed first.

Image

Then attached to the frame along with the engine.

Image

Image

The body panels are already done (other than gloss coat), exhaust and radiator are painted, just needing some additional detail painting, so I guess it's on to the forks next.
Si vis pacem, para bellum
User avatar
Twokidsnosleep
General
General
Posts: 18481
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:07 pm
Location: BC,Canada
Canada

Re: Tamiya 1/12 Suzuki Ecstar GSX-RR ’20

Post by Twokidsnosleep »

Oh that looks great!!!!
Keep plugging away at her
Making me want to build a bike again :think:
Scott

On, Under or near the desk
Mr Tamiya Memorial build...Alfa Romeo Bt-46
User avatar
barryf1fan
Sergeant Major of the Army
Sergeant Major of the Army
Posts: 1183
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:41 pm
Location: Prev OK, now St. Cloud, FL
United States of America

Re: Tamiya 1/12 Suzuki Ecstar GSX-RR ’20

Post by barryf1fan »

Fantastic so far!! Loving the progress!
All of us get lost in the darkness, Dreamers learn to steer by the stars,
All of us do time in the gutter, Dreamers turn to look at the cars.

On the Bench: Fujimi Porsche 911 GT3 x2 - Flying Lizard 2011 GT3 cars, #80 & #81
Up Next: 1/20 Tamiya McLaren MP4/5 F1
User avatar
Mpfiend
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant
Posts: 354
Joined: Sun Dec 08, 2019 8:56 am
Location: Sussex
England

Re: Tamiya 1/12 Suzuki Ecstar GSX-RR ’20

Post by Mpfiend »

That's looking very sharp.
Regards,
Keith
User avatar
cor
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer
Posts: 1532
Joined: Sun May 23, 2021 10:34 am
Location: Sydney, Australia
Australia

Re: Tamiya 1/12 Suzuki Ecstar GSX-RR ’20

Post by cor »

Gee thats some nice work.
User avatar
MrBowcat
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Posts: 828
Joined: Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:34 pm
Location: London
England

Re: Tamiya 1/12 Suzuki Ecstar GSX-RR ’20

Post by MrBowcat »

Cheers all. :)
Si vis pacem, para bellum
User avatar
digger303
General
General
Posts: 16667
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:01 am
Location: Western Australia
Australia

Re: Tamiya 1/12 Suzuki Ecstar GSX-RR ’20

Post by digger303 »

Some slick work happening here.
:th: :th: :th:
:cheers2:
Listen and appear wise
Image
Image

scalemates stash https://www.scalemates.com/profiles/mat ... ION[]=Kits
Image
WordenB
First Sergeant
First Sergeant
Posts: 500
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2020 12:12 pm
Location: Garden of England
England

Re: Tamiya 1/12 Suzuki Ecstar GSX-RR ’20

Post by WordenB »

Lovely job Mr B, nice to be putting some bits together after all the painting and decals.
My completed efforts are here viewtopic.php?t=29294
User avatar
MrBowcat
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Posts: 828
Joined: Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:34 pm
Location: London
England

Re: Tamiya 1/12 Suzuki Ecstar GSX-RR ’20

Post by MrBowcat »

Cheers guys. :)

I've been detailing the exhaust and radiator the last couple of evenings so should get those on this weekend. Also hoping to get the gloss down on the bodywork.
Si vis pacem, para bellum
User avatar
MrBowcat
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Posts: 828
Joined: Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:34 pm
Location: London
England

Re: Tamiya 1/12 Suzuki Ecstar GSX-RR ’20

Post by MrBowcat »

Morning all. :)

Only a little bit of progress this weekend, I was out of the house for most of it.

Got some more CF done, as usual this took ages, particularly the front splitter/aero wing which alone was 12 seperate decals.

Image

And finished up and fitted the exhaust, radiator and associated plumbing.

Image

Image

Image

Image

I've started cleaning up the forks, brakes & callipers and will have them in paint shortly.
Si vis pacem, para bellum
User avatar
digger303
General
General
Posts: 16667
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:01 am
Location: Western Australia
Australia

Re: Tamiya 1/12 Suzuki Ecstar GSX-RR ’20

Post by digger303 »

8-) 8-)
:th: :th: :th:
:cheers2:
Listen and appear wise
Image
Image

scalemates stash https://www.scalemates.com/profiles/mat ... ION[]=Kits
Image
pg265
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class
Posts: 324
Joined: Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:09 pm
France

Re: Tamiya 1/12 Suzuki Ecstar GSX-RR ’20

Post by pg265 »

Hi,

Beatiful build!

Pascal
#WeAreAviation

I’d rather be flying!
User avatar
MrBowcat
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Posts: 828
Joined: Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:34 pm
Location: London
England

Re: Tamiya 1/12 Suzuki Ecstar GSX-RR ’20

Post by MrBowcat »

Cheers guys. :)
Si vis pacem, para bellum
User avatar
MrBowcat
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Posts: 828
Joined: Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:34 pm
Location: London
England

Re: Tamiya 1/12 Suzuki Ecstar GSX-RR ’20

Post by MrBowcat »

Afternoon all. :)

Another post, another load of carbon fibre parts.

Image

Thankfully this is almost all the CF, there's just a few parts left for the handlebars.

Also got the front wheel and shocks done, just painting the handle bars now so should be able to get the front end on shortly.

Image
Si vis pacem, para bellum
User avatar
digger303
General
General
Posts: 16667
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:01 am
Location: Western Australia
Australia

Re: Tamiya 1/12 Suzuki Ecstar GSX-RR ’20

Post by digger303 »

Those carbon fibre decals look sweet and I can't see a join anywhere.
:bow:: :bow::
:cheers2:
Listen and appear wise
Image
Image

scalemates stash https://www.scalemates.com/profiles/mat ... ION[]=Kits
Image
User avatar
MrBowcat
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Posts: 828
Joined: Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:34 pm
Location: London
England

Re: Tamiya 1/12 Suzuki Ecstar GSX-RR ’20

Post by MrBowcat »

Cheers Digger. :)

They blend in pretty well, the trick is getting the weave to line up.
Si vis pacem, para bellum
ForeverPlasticKits
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Posts: 895
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:45 pm
Location: France
France

Re: Tamiya 1/12 Suzuki Ecstar GSX-RR ’20

Post by ForeverPlasticKits »

Great work on your bike, the tyres look so realistic! :thumb1: :thumb2:
User avatar
MrBowcat
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Posts: 828
Joined: Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:34 pm
Location: London
England

Re: Tamiya 1/12 Suzuki Ecstar GSX-RR ’20

Post by MrBowcat »

Afternoon all. :)

Almost completed this one. Finished putting the front end together and installed.

Image

Image

And got the rear end/seat fitted along with various covers, foot pegs, etc.

Image

Image

Just the rest of the bodywork to go on and I'll stick pics in the gallery. :)
Si vis pacem, para bellum
Post Reply

Return to “Road Vehicles”