Flames of War Afrika Korps

If it doesn't fit in to any of the other categories
Post Reply
User avatar
Gav0909
Chief Warrant Officer 5
Chief Warrant Officer 5
Posts: 2927
Joined: Tue May 28, 2013 11:56 am
Location: Fife, Scotland
Contact:

Flames of War Afrika Korps

Post by Gav0909 »

Thought I would post this up here, mostly as motivation for myself. Most of you might know that I was a wargamer for many years, until I got back into scale modelling recently. I had Warhammer 40k armies and in recent years had gotten into Flames of War, which is a 15mm scale (1/100) WW2 themed game, with armies consisting of tanks, infantry, armoured vehicles, artillery etc.

Anyway I have stopped that also and sold off my two main armies, a Late War (Normandy) themed British Army, and my Early War Afrika Korps. However the friend I sold the DAK too wanted me to finish painting the army so it would all match, which I said wouldn't be a problem as there wasn't much left to do.

However my lack of mojo for anything wargaming related has meant that I still haven't gotten this finished! Over the weekend I forced myself to sit down and make some progress on the PzIIIs that needed finishing.

I haven't any pics of the ones I was working on but here I will show you what I am aiming for standard wise, as well as some shots of the other stuff already completed for this.

Here is a Schutzen platoon, these guys were the forerunners to the Panzergrenadiers and were all mounted in halftracks.
Image
Image
Image

Little PzIII
Image
Image

88
Image
Image
Image

PzIV platoon
Image
Image

So I have another 88 to finish weathering, a machine gun platoon (4 bases of infantry similar to above), and 3 more PzIVs to finish weathering. I just have final details and decals to add to the PzIIIs and this lot should be done!

Let me know what you think. The PzIIIs and halftracks are more scale mode kits, as each is a multipart plastic kit, whereas the PzIVs are a solid resin body and turret, with cast metal track sides, hence some of the details are a touch soft.
User avatar
T3hGuppy
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
Posts: 3467
Joined: Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:20 pm
Location: Bournemouth, UK
Contact:
Great Britain

Re: Flames of War Afrika Korps

Post by T3hGuppy »

Nice looking DAK :th:
On the bench

Too much to list. !!


Youtube channel:https://www.youtube.com/user/bnealuk
User avatar
Paul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 12622
Joined: Thu May 23, 2013 4:47 pm
Location: Merseyside, England, UK
Contact:
England

Re: Flames of War Afrika Korps

Post by Paul »

Brilliant work gav, love the halftracks and the panzer 3, great work on such little subjects
User avatar
Coen
General
General
Posts: 10136
Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:04 am
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada
Contact:
Canada

Re: Flames of War Afrika Korps

Post by Coen »

Holy moly... small Dude.
You'll go blind if you keep playing with that.

It takes a very special set of skills and patience to build at that scale... something that I don't have.
Great stuff Gav.
User avatar
wappynutter
Chief Warrant Officer 3
Chief Warrant Officer 3
Posts: 2256
Joined: Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:39 pm
Location: Sutton in Ashfield, Nottinghamshire. UK
Great Britain

Re: Flames of War Afrika Korps

Post by wappynutter »

Excellent weathering skills at such a small scale dude... :clap:

Is the chipping effect paint or the old salt or hairspray technique?

Keep it up dude..
Great little pieces.
:cheers2:
Regards Andy...Image
YouTube Channel..... http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRdZFBjr6oO-T-2ydSB4HIg
User avatar
Gav0909
Chief Warrant Officer 5
Chief Warrant Officer 5
Posts: 2927
Joined: Tue May 28, 2013 11:56 am
Location: Fife, Scotland
Contact:

Re: Flames of War Afrika Korps

Post by Gav0909 »

Cheers guys.

Wappy - the chipping is done with Vallejo Liquid Mask (like Humbrol maskol), paint the vehicle German Grey, then dab splotches of the liquid mask on it, paint the vehicle Dark Sand, take of the mask, paint the details and then dust with Medium Earth pigment from Forgeworld, remove excess with white spirit (helps fix it too) and they are pretty much done.
longlance67
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer
Posts: 1371
Joined: Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:22 pm
Location: Galway, Ireland

Re: Flames of War Afrika Korps

Post by longlance67 »

Nice looking DAK mate,

working on a DAK MG company from burning empires at the moment ;)
On the Bench:
Trumpeter Stryker ESV
Hobby Boss 1/48 F18 Hornet
1/72 Dragon King Tiger with Zimm
28mm Napoleonic project
28mm Norman Conquest of Ireland painting project

My Channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/longlance67
UKscalemodeller
Chief Warrant Officer 3
Chief Warrant Officer 3
Posts: 2062
Joined: Tue May 28, 2013 12:31 pm

Re: Flames of War Afrika Korps

Post by UKscalemodeller »

Nice work Dave. . . Gav

I may put some pictures of my 6mm ACW figures on here
User avatar
Coen
General
General
Posts: 10136
Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:04 am
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada
Contact:
Canada

Re: Flames of War Afrika Korps

Post by Coen »

[youtube]rtDAK7Umk7A[/youtube]
User avatar
Matthew
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant
Posts: 412
Joined: Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:08 pm
Location: Nottingham uk

Re: Flames of War Afrika Korps

Post by Matthew »

Great work m8
Pir8hnter
Corporal
Corporal
Posts: 59
Joined: Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:00 pm

Re: Flames of War Afrika Korps

Post by Pir8hnter »

Nice looking work. I wear trifocals, so 1:48 is about as small as I want to go.
Yours
Pir8hnter
User avatar
Rob
Chief Warrant Officer 2
Chief Warrant Officer 2
Posts: 1892
Joined: Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:02 pm
Location: Kent, UK

Re: Flames of War Afrika Korps

Post by Rob »

Ha! Great models from Gav and now Cheech and Chong from Coen. Bliss. :D
longlance67
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer
Posts: 1371
Joined: Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:22 pm
Location: Galway, Ireland

Re: Flames of War Afrika Korps

Post by longlance67 »

Nice work mate


have a DAK force on the go too at the moment


nice work



Shane
On the Bench:
Trumpeter Stryker ESV
Hobby Boss 1/48 F18 Hornet
1/72 Dragon King Tiger with Zimm
28mm Napoleonic project
28mm Norman Conquest of Ireland painting project

My Channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/longlance67
Post Reply

Return to “Everything else”