Anyone have Mr. Black books?

General Modelling discusion that doesn't fit into any of the other sections
Post Reply
User avatar
hook1169
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Posts: 190
Joined: Sat Dec 07, 2013 5:56 am
Location: Olympia, WA

Anyone have Mr. Black books?

Post by hook1169 »

Hi all I am trying to improve my painting skills especially in the figure department. Does anyone have any feedback on the Mr Black books?http://www.mrblackpublications.com/FIGU ... 65116.aspx

I thought I posted this last night but don't seem to be able to find the post, so I apologize if it is duplicate?
User avatar
Rob
Chief Warrant Officer 2
Chief Warrant Officer 2
Posts: 1892
Joined: Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:02 pm
Location: Kent, UK

Re: Anyone have Mr. Black books?

Post by Rob »

Sorry, I don't know that particular series. It looks like it may be a show case with step by step rather than a back to basics. However, it looks good!

Two books I heartily recommend are Bill Horan's 'military modelling masterclass' and Shep Paine's 'building and painting Scale Figures'. They mostly use enamels and oils repectively (but the principles apply to acrylics too) but they are not to be bettered for improving figure painting. Either or both are a must for every figure painter's book shelf!


Also good (and cheap) are figure painter magazine - online only at £1 a pop http://www.figurepaintermagazine.co.uk/ and, for free, Wamp magazine http://www.wampforum.com/VB4/downloads.php?do=cat&id=1

Hope that helps :thumb1:
Last edited by Rob on Fri Dec 20, 2013 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
hook1169
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Posts: 190
Joined: Sat Dec 07, 2013 5:56 am
Location: Olympia, WA

Re: Anyone have Mr. Black books?

Post by hook1169 »

Very helpful Rob. Thanks a ton mate!
Post Reply

Return to “Modelling Chat”