Tanks for getting into Armour?

General Modelling discusion that doesn't fit into any of the other sections
Post Reply
User avatar
Drazimo
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Posts: 203
Joined: Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:39 am
Location: Shrewsbury, UK
Great Britain

Tanks for getting into Armour?

Post by Drazimo »

Hey guys,

Some of you might have seen that I have a W.I.P just started of a Airfix Supermarine Spitfire Mk1a 1/72, however I'm not one of these people that sticks in one area, I like to jump about and try all aspects, otherwise I have the potential to get bored. So with that said I'm also looking at getting into doing some Armour. On a whim in a local model shop I bought the Emhar Female WW1 tank 1/72, can't remember the name and the box isn't with me.

I realise this is an older and wonder as a complete newbie is this what I should be starting with, or are there better 'beginner' friendly tanks?

-D
UKscalemodeller
Chief Warrant Officer 3
Chief Warrant Officer 3
Posts: 2062
Joined: Tue May 28, 2013 12:31 pm

Re: Tanks for getting into Armour?

Post by UKscalemodeller »

I don't knbow is it is good for beginners per say but my first foray into the dark side was Revell's 1/72 Stug 40
User avatar
wappynutter
Chief Warrant Officer 3
Chief Warrant Officer 3
Posts: 2256
Joined: Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:39 pm
Location: Sutton in Ashfield, Nottinghamshire. UK
Great Britain

Re: Tanks for getting into Armour?

Post by wappynutter »

Drazimo, i think these will be real helpful.This is an Emhar 1/72 kit just not the one you brought though very similar quality i believe. :think:
This guy, YouTubes.. ( ThePaintingClinic )...goes from kit review to finished build in the 3 videos i will post here... :th:
Hope this helps mate..
:cheers2:

[youtube]QmV_8dkqR28[/youtube]

Part 2
[youtube]23Cg2Y31DKA[/youtube]

Final part
[youtube]eCneTF2Iw7U[/youtube]

Let me know how you get on, look forward to your build posts dude... :thumb2:
:cheers2:
Regards Andy...Image
YouTube Channel..... http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRdZFBjr6oO-T-2ydSB4HIg
User avatar
Paul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 12622
Joined: Thu May 23, 2013 4:47 pm
Location: Merseyside, England, UK
Contact:
England

Re: Tanks for getting into Armour?

Post by Paul »

Myself I would pick 1/35 as it's easier to paint and weather being a larger subject and a tamiya kit as it'll go together nicely.
UKscalemodeller
Chief Warrant Officer 3
Chief Warrant Officer 3
Posts: 2062
Joined: Tue May 28, 2013 12:31 pm

Re: Tanks for getting into Armour?

Post by UKscalemodeller »

Paul wrote:Myself I would pick 1/35 as it's easier to paint and weather being a larger subject and a tamiya kit as it'll go together nicely.
There is that.

I do have a strange aversion to anything bigger than 1/72
User avatar
Paul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 12622
Joined: Thu May 23, 2013 4:47 pm
Location: Merseyside, England, UK
Contact:
England

Re: Tanks for getting into Armour?

Post by Paul »

UKscalemodeller wrote:
Paul wrote:Myself I would pick 1/35 as it's easier to paint and weather being a larger subject and a tamiya kit as it'll go together nicely.
There is that.

I do have a strange aversion to anything bigger than 1/72
Nothing wrong with the smaller 1/72 tanks etc just they are tad harder to weather and paint to scale, that's only my opinion of course lol :cheers2:
User avatar
Drazimo
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Posts: 203
Joined: Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:39 am
Location: Shrewsbury, UK
Great Britain

Re: Tanks for getting into Armour?

Post by Drazimo »

Thanks for the quick replies guys. :-D

@UKscalemodeller - I was actually looking at images online of the Stug the other day and thinking how much I liked the way it looks. Whenever I hear about German tanks it's Tiger, King Tiger and the typical ones. I might just have a look into getting the kit.

@Wappynutter - I know of ThePaintingClinic, but completely forgot he does vehicles too, I'll have to re-examine his channel and those videos. Cheers for the links.

@Paul - I would love to do something of the size, the same with aircraft... the issue I have is I model in 'our' bedroom as we have no other space (shared) house so I don't have and can't get an airbrush, with a model the size of 1/35 I'm not sure how comfortable I feel with my brush painting abilities to no leave lines on the flat surfaces. I'd assume it'd be a case of painting water with a bit on pigment in it about 100 times. lol. I'll get out the :violin: :-p

-D
User avatar
Joesdad
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer
Posts: 1519
Joined: Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:52 am
Location: Torquay UK
England

Re: Tanks for getting into Armour?

Post by Joesdad »

Draz mate, be very careful when dabbling with the 'dark side'....
Yes.. It is supposed to look like that!

Tim (Ted)


British Aviation In Scale
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1185462564870290/
Foxley
Corporal
Corporal
Posts: 61
Joined: Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:47 am
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Tanks for getting into Armour?

Post by Foxley »

Personally, when I came back to the hobby I started with Tamiya's old 1/35 Panzer IV. It's an old kit but it goes together pretty easily, the only bad point is the vinyl tracks which aren't fantastic. Regardless, it can be bought for about £10 - £15 and for a first ever armour model, it's great. I never actually painted it properly after it was primed, now I use it as a paint testing model.

There are much better models, but it really depends how far you want to go, etch? detail? realism? Or just a general play around to see what you think?
User avatar
garywintin
First Sergeant
First Sergeant
Posts: 499
Joined: Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:39 am
Location: London - UK

Re: Tanks for getting into Armour?

Post by garywintin »

Pick up a 1/35 Tamiya Sherman or the panzers (3 or 4 ) to get starting and go along from there ...
User avatar
Rob
Chief Warrant Officer 2
Chief Warrant Officer 2
Posts: 1892
Joined: Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:02 pm
Location: Kent, UK

Re: Tanks for getting into Armour?

Post by Rob »

1/48 scale is a nice way to get Into armour. Airfix has some well reviewed british modern/afgan campaign stiuff. for ww2, HobbyBoss do some nice Russian heavy tanks, T34s with full interiors and some Shermans. Also Tamiya does a wide range of allied and axis vehicles - the latest issue, a Russian BA-64 armoured car, would be smaller than most 1/72 tanks.
User avatar
rm6239
First Sergeant
First Sergeant
Posts: 519
Joined: Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:21 pm
Location: NSW Australia
Australia

Re: Tanks for getting into Armour?

Post by rm6239 »

Drazino

I would suggest early Tamiya kits as well, they are easy to put together, still look good and not too many parts. When I first started I only had the dining room table to build on (so I had to pack up after every build session) so I know where you're coming from regarding lack of space. I couldn't brush paint to save my life so I kinda skipped that and went straight to spray cans. Choose something with a mono colour scheme, German grey, Dark Yellow (dunklegelb, spelling is wrong I think), Olive Drab (Sherman etc) or a Russian or British green, if your economical you should be able to get 3 1/35 scale kits out of a can.

Then if you plan to keep building I would suggest getting an Airbrush, the cost is a bit daunting up front but if you do get one, your modelling horizons will take off.

cheers
Rossco
On The Bench


Back in the USSR 50 Years of MiG's

If a man does his best, what else is there?
George S. Patton
Read more at http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/autho ... XG6L86u.99
User avatar
Drazimo
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Posts: 203
Joined: Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:39 am
Location: Shrewsbury, UK
Great Britain

Re: Tanks for getting into Armour?

Post by Drazimo »

:tongue: Thanks for all the replies guys, much appreciated.

So basically it looks like everyone is mostly suggesting a Tamiya 1/35 Panzer and an older model, I will get about researching which one would be the best one to get, or which one I like the look of the most. Like when women pick horse for the Grand National. :tongue:

@Rossco - What I'll do is paint the first couple and see how it goes, if it turns out I just can't get on with using a hairy stick on all the flat surfaces I'll look into spray cans and go from there. Cheers :-D

-D
Post Reply

Return to “Modelling Chat”