Rubber tracks

General Modelling discusion that doesn't fit into any of the other sections
Post Reply
User avatar
Switcher
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant
Posts: 433
Joined: Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:43 pm
Location: Dartmouth, NS
Contact:

Rubber tracks

Post by Switcher »

How do we glue them together? I know CA doesn't work and heating with a screwdriver provides mediocre results. Outside of sewing them together, is there another option I am unaware of?
On my desk:
1/350 Alpha Class Sub (Russian)
1/350 Akula Class sub (Russian)
1/350 USS Missouri USN Battleship BB-63
User avatar
Paul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 12622
Joined: Thu May 23, 2013 4:47 pm
Location: Merseyside, England, UK
Contact:
England

Re: Rubber tracks

Post by Paul »

Switcher wrote:How do we glue them together? I know CA doesn't work and heating with a screwdriver provides mediocre results. Outside of sewing them together, is there another option I am unaware of?
I know a few people staple them, they are a pita. :bash:
User avatar
ScaleModelling1105
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class
Posts: 286
Joined: Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:00 pm
Location: Chichester, West Sussex, England

Re: Rubber tracks

Post by ScaleModelling1105 »

I have to say that I staple them. You have to make sure they are perfectly aligned or sometimes where the front of the track is visible by the sprockets they can be wonky. Heating with screwdrivers never does it for me. Just make sure you staple it in preferably an invisible position.
Hope I was helpful
Will Hall
ScaleModelling1105
Check out my channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8k6eL ... 9pK65QlXCg

What's on the bench:
Revell 1:48 Supermarine Spitfire Mk.XVI (Duke of Edinburgh Silver Award)
User avatar
Panzerwolf
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Posts: 244
Joined: Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:08 pm
Location: Rheda-Wiedenbrück, Germany

Re: Rubber tracks

Post by Panzerwolf »

Vinyl tracks are terrible :x
The best option still seems to be stapling, if you paint them later you almost won't notice it.
WIP
Tristar PzKpfw 38 (t) Ausf. G
Hobby Boss T-40 Soviet Light Tank
User avatar
Switcher
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant
Posts: 433
Joined: Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:43 pm
Location: Dartmouth, NS
Contact:

Re: Rubber tracks

Post by Switcher »

Thanks guys :) I was afraid of the replies. I think we should boycott all mfrs who do not provide decent tracks :)

All in favour say Aye LOL
On my desk:
1/350 Alpha Class Sub (Russian)
1/350 Akula Class sub (Russian)
1/350 USS Missouri USN Battleship BB-63
User avatar
fly1ngdutchm4n
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
Posts: 3554
Joined: Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:17 pm
Location: Hoogerheide The Netherlands
Netherlands

Re: Rubber tracks

Post by fly1ngdutchm4n »

I'll try to avoid those rubber thingies as much as possible and go after market. But when I do use them I'll stapel them too. Burning them with a heated screw driver does not work for me because I always heat it to much and burn right trough the tracks. .. :wtf:
Build what you love, Love what you build
ChrisSteadman
Corporal
Corporal
Posts: 82
Joined: Sun Oct 27, 2013 4:15 pm
Location: SE London, UK
Great Britain

Re: Rubber tracks

Post by ChrisSteadman »

I'm not really a modeller, but a wargamer and I have assembled many a Fujimi 1/76th scale tank. I use Loctite All Plastics super glue for the vinyl tracks. It appears to give a pretty robust bond that stands the test of repeated handling. Not sure how well it would work on bigger scale tracks.
ATB,

Chris
User avatar
Panzermeister36
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
Posts: 692
Joined: Sat Sep 14, 2013 5:59 pm
Location: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Contact:

Re: Rubber tracks

Post by Panzermeister36 »

I use gorilla super glue (blue cap). The other types of gorilla glue could react with the rubber or the actual plastic of the model :thumb2:

http://uk.gorillaglue.com/media/fck/ima ... OPE_01.jpg
Unleash the DShK!

http://www.youtube.com/user/Panzermeister36

WIPs
Dragon Sd.Kfz.7/2 FlaK 37 - Adam Mann's Halbkettenfahrzeug Gruppenbau
Dragon StuG IV Early - Unarmed Snowplow Modification
Trumpeter BMP-1 w/ BTR-70 Turret
Cyberhobby Geschützwagen 38M FlaK 103/38 - "M" GB
HobbyBoss T-40
Meng T-90
Orochi M3A3 Bradley
User avatar
Switcher
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant
Posts: 433
Joined: Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:43 pm
Location: Dartmouth, NS
Contact:

Re: Rubber tracks

Post by Switcher »

Thanks a bunch :)

Did some research this am and I gather HH-66 is good for vinyl. I couldn't come up with any local but got some vinyl glue from the local pool company. I glued one track to see what is what. I am not holding my breath as I am sure many a modeller here has probably experimented with the stuff as well.
On my desk:
1/350 Alpha Class Sub (Russian)
1/350 Akula Class sub (Russian)
1/350 USS Missouri USN Battleship BB-63
User avatar
Trainboy153
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant
Posts: 427
Joined: Fri Nov 29, 2013 5:05 pm
Location: Miami,Florida, United States

Re: Rubber tracks

Post by Trainboy153 »

ScaleModelling1105 wrote:I have to say that I staple them. You have to make sure they are perfectly aligned or sometimes where the front of the track is visible by the sprockets they can be wonky. Heating with screwdrivers never does it for me. Just make sure you staple it in preferably an invisible position.
Hope I was helpful
Im with him, staple them I have a thread on this somewhere.
User avatar
Switcher
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant
Posts: 433
Joined: Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:43 pm
Location: Dartmouth, NS
Contact:

Re: Rubber tracks

Post by Switcher »

OK, I am cool with that :)

Let's reverse this thread just a tad. What have folks used or not on rubber/vinyl tracks, besides the obvious. Curious minds need to know :) I am pretty sure the Japanese aren't using "hot knifes" :)
On my desk:
1/350 Alpha Class Sub (Russian)
1/350 Akula Class sub (Russian)
1/350 USS Missouri USN Battleship BB-63
User avatar
Lego
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Posts: 918
Joined: Fri Nov 08, 2013 6:16 pm
Location: Ireland
Ireland

Re: Rubber tracks

Post by Lego »

The gel super glue works as well. Think it comes in a black squeezy type bottle.
“Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.”
User avatar
ForbesHutton
Chief Warrant Officer 3
Chief Warrant Officer 3
Posts: 1956
Joined: Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:10 am
Location: To,On,Ca
Scotland

Re: Rubber tracks

Post by ForbesHutton »

I have no problem melting the tracks with a hot screwdriver blade.

But I can't heat and stretch a sprue, I used metal rod or wire for antennas.
Image
User avatar
Switcher
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant
Posts: 433
Joined: Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:43 pm
Location: Dartmouth, NS
Contact:

Re: Rubber tracks

Post by Switcher »

I found a solution :)
[youtube]A2b7FoboUzU[/youtube]
On my desk:
1/350 Alpha Class Sub (Russian)
1/350 Akula Class sub (Russian)
1/350 USS Missouri USN Battleship BB-63
User avatar
Rob
Chief Warrant Officer 2
Chief Warrant Officer 2
Posts: 1892
Joined: Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:02 pm
Location: Kent, UK

Re: Rubber tracks

Post by Rob »

Oh my goodness, now I can't get that dance out of my head! Nice solution to the sticky track thing though :th:
User avatar
fly1ngdutchm4n
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
Posts: 3554
Joined: Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:17 pm
Location: Hoogerheide The Netherlands
Netherlands

Re: Rubber tracks

Post by fly1ngdutchm4n »

Yup. .. great solution and great dance :mrgreen:
And I love smokey the bear hanging on the wall :thumb2:
Build what you love, Love what you build
User avatar
Switcher
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant
Posts: 433
Joined: Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:43 pm
Location: Dartmouth, NS
Contact:

Re: Rubber tracks

Post by Switcher »

Thanks guys. I have been privileged with tons of good info from the community, I have learned a lot. It is better to give than receive :)

A simple solution no?
On my desk:
1/350 Alpha Class Sub (Russian)
1/350 Akula Class sub (Russian)
1/350 USS Missouri USN Battleship BB-63
Post Reply

Return to “Modelling Chat”