Colouring Klear

General Modelling discusion that doesn't fit into any of the other sections
Post Reply
User avatar
chief5437
Major
Major
Posts: 4810
Joined: Fri May 31, 2013 1:25 pm
Location: England
England

Colouring Klear

Post by chief5437 »

Hi guys, I'm just about to dip my canopy in Klear, and I had a thought. (Dangerous, I know, lol!)

I was thinking if it would be possible to colour/tint the klear with a colour to avoid painting afterwards?

Maybe adding clear blue or smoke, depending on what's needed? Or maybe food colouring?

Just wondered if anyone's tried this, before I dive in!

Cheers guys :cheers2:
Chief
Pierce
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Posts: 219
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2014 1:24 am
Location: Nebraska USA
United States of America

Re: Colouring Klear

Post by Pierce »

I don't know the answer but if Klear is acyrlic i would think you could add acyrlic paint. Inquiring minds want to know. I think an experiment is in order.
User avatar
chief5437
Major
Major
Posts: 4810
Joined: Fri May 31, 2013 1:25 pm
Location: England
England

Re: Colouring Klear

Post by chief5437 »

Yeah, might try it on a few spares first!
Chief
User avatar
Daishi12
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer
Posts: 1393
Joined: Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:25 pm
Location: Mountain Ash, South Wales
Wales

Re: Colouring Klear

Post by Daishi12 »

You may find that "solid" acrylic colour just gives a pale, washed out, semi-opaque clear canopy... I have tried to achieve a tinted effect using Revell Contacta Clear and have brushed over diluted "Derwent Inktense" dark blue and that seemed to work for me. Hope this helps..

http://i1280.photobucket.com/albums/a48 ... 43229a.jpg
W.I.P.

Revell 1/72 P-47M
Airfix 1/72 Bristol F2B Fighter

Technical Consultation for MrsModellor :- Tamiya 1/35 S.A.S. Pink Panther
User avatar
chief5437
Major
Major
Posts: 4810
Joined: Fri May 31, 2013 1:25 pm
Location: England
England

Re: Colouring Klear

Post by chief5437 »

I was thinking of tamiya x-23 or x-19, clear colours. We'll see what happens! Fingers crossed, lol!
Chief
User avatar
Navcom
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class
Posts: 276
Joined: Sun Apr 20, 2014 5:07 pm
Location: MN USA
Contact:
United States of America

Re: Colouring Klear

Post by Navcom »

Let us know how it goes!
Jeff
My scale model photography book...
http://www.scalephotography.com

MN Scale Modeler Virtual Museum
http://www.mnscalemodeler.net
RobertK
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class
Posts: 314
Joined: Wed Dec 25, 2013 3:49 pm
Location: Sweden
Sweden

Re: Colouring Klear

Post by RobertK »

How about food colouring? Smoke will be hard though but blue should work.
:banana:
Post Reply

Return to “Modelling Chat”