Which should I get? Vallejo vs Mig

From mud covered tanks to grimy aircraft
Post Reply
User avatar
KalebBeard
Corporal
Corporal
Posts: 93
Joined: Thu May 08, 2014 10:29 am
Location: Indiana, USA

Which should I get? Vallejo vs Mig

Post by KalebBeard »

Hello everybody! I am a newbe when it come to Military Modeling and would like some seasond vets opinion!
I trying to decide which brand of Weatheing powders to go with. Either MIG or Vallejo, i have some light sienna and others made by Vallejo but have never used MIG before, I have heard they are very high quality and come recimmended by Youtubers, but i still want opinions from you guys, so what should i get?
Tanks Are My Life
On bench: Tamiya Chi Ha
S.A.F.S Snowman
User avatar
Paul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 12622
Joined: Thu May 23, 2013 4:47 pm
Location: Merseyside, England, UK
Contact:
England

Re: Which should I get? Vallejo vs Mig

Post by Paul »

Both :thumb2:lol
User avatar
KalebBeard
Corporal
Corporal
Posts: 93
Joined: Thu May 08, 2014 10:29 am
Location: Indiana, USA

Re: Which should I get? Vallejo vs Mig

Post by KalebBeard »

Ha, Thanks Mate!
Tanks Are My Life
On bench: Tamiya Chi Ha
S.A.F.S Snowman
User avatar
Paul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 12622
Joined: Thu May 23, 2013 4:47 pm
Location: Merseyside, England, UK
Contact:
England

Re: Which should I get? Vallejo vs Mig

Post by Paul »

KalebBeard wrote:Ha, Thanks Mate!

Lol I would say that mig has a better range of colours but you get more pigments in the Vallejo bottles
User avatar
MarkVerploeg
Major
Major
Posts: 4837
Joined: Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:21 am
Location: Oss, Noord Braband The Netherlands
Netherlands

Re: Which should I get? Vallejo vs Mig

Post by MarkVerploeg »

just do what Paul does with paint
buy everything from a manufacturer
and with that in mind ak and (now)ammo have pigments too :lol:

but now let me act like a grown up person for 5 seconds
i would go for the mig ones as they have clear names on the lids so you know what it can be used for
vallejo uses paintcolor names
and the vallejo bottle may be bigger but these are made fluffy so once you stick a brush in there it will reduce in size
in the end the content is about the same weight
but even with a pigment that is made for a speciffic effect most of the times it will be a.mix and match thing
so you get more variation in the color atleast i do
if you look at some of mig jiminez's work you will see that he uses about 2 or 3basic pigments and ends up with many more mixes in multiple layers
but this way you do get amazing results
oh yeah don't go and buy a full range at once
i did and after a few years some are not used
it all.depends on what you are planning to use them for
On the bench
GB builds
1/35 Trumpeter M1132 ESV

Personal builds
1/35 Hobby Boss M1070 tractor with M1000 semi trailer and Meng M1A2 TUSK II Abrams
1/35 Takom V2 rocket with the Meillerwagen and SS100 tractor
User avatar
KalebBeard
Corporal
Corporal
Posts: 93
Joined: Thu May 08, 2014 10:29 am
Location: Indiana, USA

Re: Which should I get? Vallejo vs Mig

Post by KalebBeard »

Thanks all for the Advice! It's greatly appreciated!
Tanks Are My Life
On bench: Tamiya Chi Ha
S.A.F.S Snowman
becsta
Private
Private
Posts: 22
Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:33 am
Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: Which should I get? Vallejo vs Mig

Post by becsta »

None.

Go to your local art hobby store and buy a dry pastel art set, and a bunch of little sealable pots.

Get home, and spend the next hour or so going through the dry pastels, picking out the ones you'll need, and use one of your hobby knives to scrape the pastel sticks into the pots.

Much cheaper, and so much more variety in colour than Mig or Vallejo. And it's all the same stuff.
User avatar
KalebBeard
Corporal
Corporal
Posts: 93
Joined: Thu May 08, 2014 10:29 am
Location: Indiana, USA

Re: Which should I get? Vallejo vs Mig

Post by KalebBeard »

becsta wrote:None.

Go to your local art hobby store and buy a dry pastel art set, and a bunch of little sealable pots.

Get home, and spend the next hour or so going through the dry pastels, picking out the ones you'll need, and use one of your hobby knives to scrape the pastel sticks into the pots.

Much cheaper, and so much more variety in colour than Mig or Vallejo. And it's all the same stuff.

Never really thought about that! Thanks for the info mate! :pistols:
Tanks Are My Life
On bench: Tamiya Chi Ha
S.A.F.S Snowman
Post Reply

Return to “Weathering”