removing paint

General Modelling discusion that doesn't fit into any of the other sections
Post Reply
johnpd
Corporal
Corporal
Posts: 78
Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:47 pm
Location: Merseyside

removing paint

Post by johnpd »

Hi peeps, question. I have recently purchased my first airbrush and for practice I want to remove the paint of my previous models so I can get used to airbrushing! before I airbrush my new spitfire?
johnpd
Corporal
Corporal
Posts: 78
Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:47 pm
Location: Merseyside

Re: removing paint

Post by johnpd »

Never said what the question was. .... Been a bad day in work. Question was. What is the best thing to use to strip the paint off the old models?
neilturner
New Recruit
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:48 pm

Re: removing paint

Post by neilturner »

Best thing i have used is Isopropyl alcohol for acrylic paint. Never had to strip enamel though.
johnpd
Corporal
Corporal
Posts: 78
Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:47 pm
Location: Merseyside

Re: removing paint

Post by johnpd »

I've used enamel on them
User avatar
Desertfish
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class
Posts: 267
Joined: Tue Apr 29, 2014 4:25 pm
Location: West Vlaanderen - Belgium

Re: removing paint

Post by Desertfish »

Not sure if this is true as I never tried it myself, but read quite a few times people use brake fluid to clean enamel based paints from models. Some apparently use it to clean acrylic paint as well.
johnpd
Corporal
Corporal
Posts: 78
Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:47 pm
Location: Merseyside

Re: removing paint

Post by johnpd »

Hmm. Never heard that pal. But we'll give it a go
User avatar
Hillbilly
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Posts: 858
Joined: Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:15 pm
Location: Missouri,USA

Re: removing paint

Post by Hillbilly »

I don't know what it's called across the pond or if you can even find it,but I use Castrol Super Clean(Purple Power will also work) to strip enamel paint.If you can find some just put some in a tub with a lid,drop your model in it and (depending on how many coats of paint) in a few days use a old tooth brush and your paint will just fall off.Just be aware you will have to use rubber gloves when putting your hands in this stuff,it's kind of potent,and don't drink it :lol:

Image

Image
Steve

Make something idiot proof and someone will come along and make a better idiot.
johnpd
Corporal
Corporal
Posts: 78
Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:47 pm
Location: Merseyside

Re: removing paint

Post by johnpd »

That looks good pal. Will have a look to see if I can get hold off that. Thanks mate :)
tommy
Private First Class
Private First Class
Posts: 49
Joined: Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:36 pm
Belgium

Re: removing paint

Post by tommy »

This is a product used in floor cleaning and it works great for removing enamel paint. It doesnt smell bad and you need to use protective gloves when using it. It is not messy either and when you are done, you can wash the model with water.
The product is called: Selden Selate Non Ammoniated Floor Stripper SEL032/F032
johnpd
Corporal
Corporal
Posts: 78
Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:47 pm
Location: Merseyside

Re: removing paint

Post by johnpd »

Will have a look at that also. Cheers :)
User avatar
PugmooG
Sergeant
Sergeant
Posts: 146
Joined: Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:23 pm
Location: (UK)
Great Britain

Re: removing paint

Post by PugmooG »

johnpd wrote:Never said what the question was. .... Been a bad day in work. Question was. What is the best thing to use to strip the paint off the old models?
I used Mr Muscle Oven Cleaner. Worked a treat, sprayed it all over with a few good coats and put in a plastic bag for few hours, then give a good rinse and used a tooth brush to remove what was left. Just be aware it's caustic based (gloves req) :think: and the fumes aint so good do it outside if possible :th: Hope that helps you out :th:
"I were right about that saddle!"
User avatar
Plopper
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class
Posts: 309
Joined: Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:31 pm
Location: North Wales

Re: removing paint

Post by Plopper »

I go to, or have gone to a lot of Action Man and Matchbox sites and they all recommend both Mr. Muscle Cleaner and Dot 4 Brake and Clutch fluid for removing pain from something that you don't want to damage. I've used Dot 4 Brake and Clutch fluid on many different kinds of plastic and metal and it's nearly always removed the paint and it has never damaged anything that I've tried. But I've never tried a plastic model kit before.
Your Ever Game Gamer.

Dave.
johnpd
Corporal
Corporal
Posts: 78
Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:47 pm
Location: Merseyside

Re: removing paint

Post by johnpd »

Thank you for the advice will have a look at them also:)
robertw
First Sergeant
First Sergeant
Posts: 509
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:36 am
Location: West Virginia, USA

Re: removing paint

Post by robertw »

Oven cleaner works too.
I build bad models so you can feel good about yourself! :th:
Post Reply

Return to “Modelling Chat”