Where to buy glue?

General Modelling discusion that doesn't fit into any of the other sections
Post Reply
User avatar
CJSomerset
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
Posts: 722
Joined: Thu May 08, 2014 1:46 pm
Location: Somerset - UK
Contact:
Great Britain

Where to buy glue?

Post by CJSomerset »

Just got back into modelling and I've been watching Paul's BF109 videos ( just finished mine!). As my kids have spilt most of my liquid polly I thought it was time to get some better glue. Paul mentions importing Tamiya extra thin, but I don't think I want to go that far. He also mentions Mr Hobby glue but I can't find anyone who lists this.

Can someone give me any recommendations for a good glue and where I can buy it.

Thank in advance.
Some days it's not even worth chewing through the restraints!
RobertK
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class
Posts: 314
Joined: Wed Dec 25, 2013 3:49 pm
Location: Sweden
Sweden

Re: Where to buy glue?

Post by RobertK »

Tamiya extra thin is an excellent glue, well worth the trouble to import.
I also find revell contacta(?), that blue bottle with a long pin also works very well, should also be easier to find in a local shop.
If everything else fails then is always humbrol liquid poly, jus throw away their applicator for an old fine brush.
:banana:
User avatar
Paul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 12622
Joined: Thu May 23, 2013 4:47 pm
Location: Merseyside, England, UK
Contact:
England

Re: Where to buy glue?

Post by Paul »

Its not difficult to get tamiya extra thin from the far east theres a few ebay shops that sell it and ship it no problem, its well worth getting :)
User avatar
bluebottle
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Posts: 234
Joined: Sun Nov 10, 2013 3:32 pm
Location: Merseyside Uk
England

Re: Where to buy glue?

Post by bluebottle »

be careful, some of the shipping charges for it are MORE expensive than the stuff itself..

As a back up , I grabbed a load of Modelmaster thin glue, while Modelzone were getting rid of it
Mr Cement is a good alternative, and readily available here
WIP: Monogram 1/48 F-104C,Eduard 1/48 FAA Hellcat,Hasegawa1/48 RF-4E
User avatar
LudvigN
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
Posts: 641
Joined: Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:07 pm
Location: Göteborg, Sweden
Sweden

Re: Where to buy glue?

Post by LudvigN »

I got tamiya extra thin LEMONENE glue the other week. Still trying it out. Same viscosity as Tamiya extra thin but I think it has different properties when it comes to adhesion. Must evaluate it more before I can say if its any good. Smells fine atleast :)
Ludvig :cheers2:

On the bench:
Airfix 1/72 A-4 Skyhawk
Italeri EH-101 Merlin HAS.1 (Whirlybird SIG)

Last one finished:
Bandai 1/72 A-Wing Gallery
User avatar
Dunhill2005
Sergeant Major of the Army
Sergeant Major of the Army
Posts: 1195
Joined: Sat Aug 03, 2013 1:38 pm
Location: Wunstorf, Germany
Germany

Re: Where to buy glue?

Post by Dunhill2005 »

I use different adhesives.
-Super glue from the hardware store,
-Revell contacta pro (with a needle) and Revell clear, Model shop near me
-Tamiya extra thin, great stuff :th: ,from the internet (Sockelshop, Germany)

Unfortunately I can not help you more.
I can not say anything about import rules to the UK...
User avatar
MerseyTrainz
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant
Posts: 377
Joined: Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:06 pm
Location: Wirral, Merseyside, UK
Great Britain

Re: Where to buy glue?

Post by MerseyTrainz »

You might like to try 'Mr Cement S' from ModelsRgo http://www.modelsrgo.co.uk/building-acc ... /glue.html
Best regards... Stephen (MerseyTrainz)

On the Bench... Tamiya 1/35 British Army Chieftain Mk.5 Military Model Tank (35068), Tamiya 1/35 US Army M3 Stuart Light Tank - WW2 (35042)
User avatar
CJSomerset
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
Posts: 722
Joined: Thu May 08, 2014 1:46 pm
Location: Somerset - UK
Contact:
Great Britain

Re: Where to buy glue?

Post by CJSomerset »

Thanks guys, I didn't realize that the Mr Hobby glue was called Mr Cement, which is probably why I couldn't find it.
LudvigN wrote:I got tamiya extra thin LEMONENE glue the other week. Still trying it out. Smells fine atleast :)
Can anyone else remember back in the 70's (?) when Airfix brought out Lemon "flavoured" glue. It really made your tongue tingle when you tasted it.
Some days it's not even worth chewing through the restraints!
User avatar
MarkVerploeg
Major
Major
Posts: 4837
Joined: Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:21 am
Location: Oss, Noord Braband The Netherlands
Netherlands

Re: Where to buy glue?

Post by MarkVerploeg »

CJSomerset wrote:Thanks guys, I didn't realize that the Mr Hobby glue was called Mr Cement, which is probably why I couldn't find it.
LudvigN wrote:I got tamiya extra thin LEMONENE glue the other week. Still trying it out. Smells fine atleast :)
Can anyone else remember back in the 70's (?) when Airfix brought out Lemon "flavoured" glue. It really made your tongue tingle when you tasted it.
The idea is to sniff glue not eat it :lol: must be bad for your health
On the bench
GB builds
1/35 Trumpeter M1132 ESV

Personal builds
1/35 Hobby Boss M1070 tractor with M1000 semi trailer and Meng M1A2 TUSK II Abrams
1/35 Takom V2 rocket with the Meillerwagen and SS100 tractor
Post Reply

Return to “Modelling Chat”