Cutting/sawing clear parts

General Modelling discusion that doesn't fit into any of the other sections
Post Reply
User avatar
LudvigN
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
Posts: 641
Joined: Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:07 pm
Location: Göteborg, Sweden
Sweden

Cutting/sawing clear parts

Post by LudvigN »

The topic says it all. How can one cut and saw into a clear part without cracking/ruining it? The instructions tells me to split up the canopy in two 3 parts. How would one do this? Its 1/72 scale.

Image

Any advice would be helpful.
Ludvig :cheers2:

On the bench:
Airfix 1/72 A-4 Skyhawk
Italeri EH-101 Merlin HAS.1 (Whirlybird SIG)

Last one finished:
Bandai 1/72 A-Wing Gallery
User avatar
Paul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 12622
Joined: Thu May 23, 2013 4:47 pm
Location: Merseyside, England, UK
Contact:
England

Re: Cutting/sawing clear parts

Post by Paul »

A really fine razor saw, masking tape the edges you are cutting, take your time and hope for the best is the bets advice i can give really
User avatar
Daishi12
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer
Posts: 1393
Joined: Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:25 pm
Location: Mountain Ash, South Wales
Wales

Re: Cutting/sawing clear parts

Post by Daishi12 »

Would it be possible to use a hot wire cutter?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Terrain-Scene ... 35d625db59

I think that as you are not vibrating the canopy piece, then it might minimize the amount of vibration in the plastic.

I haven't used one myself so this would be a suggestion only.

Obviously with all new techniques, practice would be the key.

If you use a razor saw, it probably would be an idea to pack the interior with something to cut down the vibration of the blade, say bluetack or something similar.

Hope this helps.
W.I.P.

Revell 1/72 P-47M
Airfix 1/72 Bristol F2B Fighter

Technical Consultation for MrsModellor :- Tamiya 1/35 S.A.S. Pink Panther
User avatar
LudvigN
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
Posts: 641
Joined: Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:07 pm
Location: Göteborg, Sweden
Sweden

Re: Cutting/sawing clear parts

Post by LudvigN »

Thank you for the advice, will start this operation tonight.
Ludvig :cheers2:

On the bench:
Airfix 1/72 A-4 Skyhawk
Italeri EH-101 Merlin HAS.1 (Whirlybird SIG)

Last one finished:
Bandai 1/72 A-Wing Gallery
User avatar
5Craven
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
Posts: 652
Joined: Sun May 26, 2013 6:51 pm
Location: Weymouth, Dorset, UK

Re: Cutting/sawing clear parts

Post by 5Craven »

Daishi12 wrote:Would it be possible to use a hot wire cutter?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Terrain-Scene ... 35d625db59

I think that as you are not vibrating the canopy piece, then it might minimize the amount of vibration in the plastic.

I haven't used one myself so this would be a suggestion only.

Obviously with all new techniques, practice would be the key.

If you use a razor saw, it probably would be an idea to pack the interior with something to cut down the vibration of the blade, say bluetack or something similar.

Hope this helps.
Sorry to pour cold water on this one but the hot wire cutter is meant for expanded polystyrene not the solid stuff. If you used it on a canopy you might end up setting the whole thing on fire!
On the Bench

1/48 Revell SH-60B Seahawk (on hold)
1/72 Matchbox Supermarine Walrus II (Decalling)
1/48 Hasegawa Idolm@ster F-16C (Decals complete)
1/35 Hobbyboss ZSL-92 IFV (Building)
User avatar
Daishi12
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer
Posts: 1393
Joined: Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:25 pm
Location: Mountain Ash, South Wales
Wales

Re: Cutting/sawing clear parts

Post by Daishi12 »

5Craven wrote:
Daishi12 wrote:Would it be possible to use a hot wire cutter?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Terrain-Scene ... 35d625db59

I think that as you are not vibrating the canopy piece, then it might minimize the amount of vibration in the plastic.

I haven't used one myself so this would be a suggestion only.

Obviously with all new techniques, practice would be the key.

If you use a razor saw, it probably would be an idea to pack the interior with something to cut down the vibration of the blade, say bluetack or something similar.

Hope this helps.
Sorry to pour cold water on this one but the hot wire cutter is meant for expanded polystyrene not the solid stuff. If you used it on a canopy you might end up setting the whole thing on fire!
No problems mate -- was just a thought that popped into my head, which is why I said - "I haven't used one myself so this would be a suggestion only.

Obviously with all new techniques, practice would be the key."
W.I.P.

Revell 1/72 P-47M
Airfix 1/72 Bristol F2B Fighter

Technical Consultation for MrsModellor :- Tamiya 1/35 S.A.S. Pink Panther
User avatar
chief5437
Major
Major
Posts: 4810
Joined: Fri May 31, 2013 1:25 pm
Location: England
England

Re: Cutting/sawing clear parts

Post by chief5437 »

Don't know if you've started cutting yet, but I just use my knife with a new blade. I score along the cut line and just keep making passes. Takes a while, but gives a nice clean cut. Good luck dude.
Chief
User avatar
Colin
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
Posts: 649
Joined: Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:11 pm
Location: N E Scotland

Re: Cutting/sawing clear parts

Post by Colin »

5Craven wrote:
Daishi12 wrote:Would it be possible to use a hot wire cutter?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Terrain-Scene ... 35d625db59

I think that as you are not vibrating the canopy piece, then it might minimize the amount of vibration in the plastic.

I haven't used one myself so this would be a suggestion only.

Obviously with all new techniques, practice would be the key.

If you use a razor saw, it probably would be an idea to pack the interior with something to cut down the vibration of the blade, say bluetack or something similar.

Hope this helps.
Sorry to pour cold water on this one but the hot wire cutter is meant for expanded polystyrene not the solid stuff. If you used it on a canopy you might end up setting the whole thing on fire!
But what about low Voltage ones?

I agree with previous comments a slow deliberate approach is best, but I normally cut slowly as near as possible to a clear part sprue and slowly sand the remainder down
User avatar
Thumboy
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class
Posts: 268
Joined: Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:05 am
Location: Wellington NZ

Re: Cutting/sawing clear parts

Post by Thumboy »

Hi, I cut the canopy when I made the 1/72 airfix zero as I wanted to show the canopy open. The best tip I found was to fill the inside of the canopy with a big ball of blue-tac to give it some strength and keep its shape when cutting. I used a craft knife with a new blade and made a few light passes same as chief has just described. Another tip would be to take your time and don't rush :th: good luck
Andrew

On the bench
Post Reply

Return to “Modelling Chat”