Choosing kits..

General Modelling discusion that doesn't fit into any of the other sections
Post Reply
Neils
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Posts: 227
Joined: Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:24 pm

Choosing kits..

Post by Neils »

You fancy a new kit, but living in the real world where pesky things such as mortgages, bills and food need to be paid for how do you choose your next kit?

1. Just get the one you fancy anyway and let Mr Visa work it out later?
2. Go get another cheaper but not really the kit I really want, kit.
3. Stock up on paints/tools instead
4. Save up and get it when funds allow
5. Look at things practically, realise you don't really have the space until you upgrade your work/display area
5. Do without
User avatar
MarkVerploeg
Major
Major
Posts: 4837
Joined: Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:21 am
Location: Oss, Noord Braband The Netherlands
Netherlands

Re: Choosing kits..

Post by MarkVerploeg »

Look at sales on the shops website
And go to modelshows with private sellers
It is no sure thing you get what you want but there is a chance
On the bench
GB builds
1/35 Trumpeter M1132 ESV

Personal builds
1/35 Hobby Boss M1070 tractor with M1000 semi trailer and Meng M1A2 TUSK II Abrams
1/35 Takom V2 rocket with the Meillerwagen and SS100 tractor
User avatar
Paul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 12622
Joined: Thu May 23, 2013 4:47 pm
Location: Merseyside, England, UK
Contact:
England

Re: Choosing kits..

Post by Paul »

I have no credit cards, loans overdraft nothing if I don't have the cash on my hip I can't buy anything.

And I prefer it that way. I don't even have any accounts at plumbing merchants.
Tomtom12
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class
Posts: 298
Joined: Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:57 pm

Re: Choosing kits..

Post by Tomtom12 »

Check on ebay you can get some great deals on there, that's where I've brought a lot of mine.
.
User avatar
Panzerwolf
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Posts: 244
Joined: Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:08 pm
Location: Rheda-Wiedenbrück, Germany

Re: Choosing kits..

Post by Panzerwolf »

I'm often on the lookout for bargains, take a look at online shop sales and eBay too, of course.
Only if I really want a kit, I'll just buy it regardless of the price.
WIP
Tristar PzKpfw 38 (t) Ausf. G
Hobby Boss T-40 Soviet Light Tank
User avatar
Apple
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Posts: 208
Joined: Thu May 15, 2014 8:30 am
Location: Krommenie, The Netherlands
Contact:

Re: Choosing kits..

Post by Apple »

Same with Paul..
When i can afford it, i'll buy..
Lucky for my i'm a billionair :P (A)
Hakuna matata. :D
User avatar
chief5437
Major
Major
Posts: 4810
Joined: Fri May 31, 2013 1:25 pm
Location: England
England

Re: Choosing kits..

Post by chief5437 »

Easy, when the boss says I can have it.
Chief
DesertAAModeller
Corporal
Corporal
Posts: 59
Joined: Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:25 pm
Location: Upper Michigan

Re: Choosing kits..

Post by DesertAAModeller »

I have a perfect example of this. I was at my LMS a couple weeks ago and the store owner offered me a Trumpeter 1/32 Me262 for $40. I should have taken it, for it was a great deal+it had been sitting there a while. But, i would have had to give up what was in my hand: an Eduard 1/48 Ki-115 and some LoTR Gondor soldiers. So I opted for an old Revell 1/32 Me262 to practice on and get an idea of the size. Called back and asked if it was still there, and he said no one has even glanced at it since I was there. So what I learned was that kits that sit on the shelf for years, will stay on the shelf for a while longer until I am confident enough and have enough funds to purchase them.
Patric

On the Bench:
Accurate Miniatures 1/48 P-51c
Accurate Miniatures 1/48 SBD Dauntless
AND LOTS MORE!
User avatar
mannloon
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Posts: 985
Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:57 pm
Location: Madison, WI USA
Contact:

Re: Choosing kits..

Post by mannloon »

I have a ritual where I regularly check ebay for certain things. So as i develop my kit wish list in my head I keep an eye out for those kits. Occasionally though yes, the subject matter or kit will drive me to pay more than I'd like to. But never in a shop, I don't find good kits in Shops.
On the bench:
Cyber-Hobby T-34 Under New Management
Cyber-Hobby Tiger I Kursk
Rye Field Tiger I w/ Interior
Academy T-34 with bed spring armor
Post Reply

Return to “Modelling Chat”