Lozenge-camo decals

General Modelling discusion that doesn't fit into any of the other sections
Post Reply
User avatar
Opapapa
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Posts: 222
Joined: Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:41 pm
Location: Finland

Lozenge-camo decals

Post by Opapapa »

Hi guys! Greetings from sunny western Finland! (yep, it's 10.30 pm and I can still see the sun in the horizon)

I'm working with Eduard 1/48 Fokker D.VII "Sieben Schwaben" -kit (Seven Swabians - I simply had to buy this kit because of the Grimm connection! :cheers2: )

I didn't find any answers with a quick search, so maybe some stupid questions but still :oops: : I've never worked with these large lozenge decals. Any of you who had built these Eduard kits: how good is the coverage with these decals? Do I need any pre-shading or base colour? I've primed the wings with mr surfacer already and added the gloss cote. Is that enough? My plan is to use oil colours to add weathring afterwards.

First I thought to try the hockey tactic dump and chase and see what's going to happen but then... I'm simply a coward. :D

Thanks,

Olli
User avatar
chief5437
Major
Major
Posts: 4810
Joined: Fri May 31, 2013 1:25 pm
Location: England
England

Re: Lozenge-camo decals

Post by chief5437 »

Can't help I'm afraid, but I look forward to seeing the end result. Good luck!
Chief
User avatar
5Craven
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
Posts: 652
Joined: Sun May 26, 2013 6:51 pm
Location: Weymouth, Dorset, UK

Re: Lozenge-camo decals

Post by 5Craven »

If it was me, (and it will be in the WWI Sig later in the year!) I would go with a light grey or white primer followed by a gloss coat before putting down the decals. You should be alright with the decals on bare plastic but personally I prefer to have a solid base underneath everything.
On the Bench

1/48 Revell SH-60B Seahawk (on hold)
1/72 Matchbox Supermarine Walrus II (Decalling)
1/48 Hasegawa Idolm@ster F-16C (Decals complete)
1/35 Hobbyboss ZSL-92 IFV (Building)
User avatar
Opapapa
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Posts: 222
Joined: Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:41 pm
Location: Finland

Re: Lozenge-camo decals

Post by Opapapa »

Thanks 5Craven! :cheers2: I have primed the wings light grey already. It's just that these decals give me the creeps! Just needed to be certain. I'll give it a go tomorrow. :eeek:

And yes, I will post some pictures when this Fokker is finished. Right now my work is killing me and I have a chance to build models only once in a week... It's quite frustrating :wall:

Olli
User avatar
Opapapa
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Posts: 222
Joined: Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:41 pm
Location: Finland

Re: Lozenge-camo decals

Post by Opapapa »

The decals worked just fine and look awesome! So I was nervous for nothing. They are also cutted nicely. But without Micro Set and/or Micro Sol... (or similar solutions) not a chance! Don't even try it. So there's a little heads up for all of you who are planning to build WWI german planes with a Lozenge camo.

cheers,
Olli
User avatar
chief5437
Major
Major
Posts: 4810
Joined: Fri May 31, 2013 1:25 pm
Location: England
England

Re: Lozenge-camo decals

Post by chief5437 »

Glad it worked out for you :banana: any pics? :th:
Chief
User avatar
Opapapa
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Posts: 222
Joined: Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:41 pm
Location: Finland

Re: Lozenge-camo decals

Post by Opapapa »

Yeah I will soon. Didn't have a proper camera with me. :bash: (And the man cave is located miles away... :wall:)

Olli
On the bench:
Way too much!!!
Post Reply

Return to “Modelling Chat”