Want to scratch build my own Diorama buildings

General Modelling discusion that doesn't fit into any of the other sections
Post Reply
User avatar
NAMBiohazard
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant
Posts: 474
Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:21 pm
Location: Windhoek, Namibia

Want to scratch build my own Diorama buildings

Post by NAMBiohazard »

Hey there guys....

Where can I find references for 1/35 scale buildings such as farm house and barns.
For me I feel its too costly to buy diorama kits of these when I can rather build them.

Thx in advance :D
Keep the glue on the Sprue

Bjorn
User avatar
wappynutter
Chief Warrant Officer 3
Chief Warrant Officer 3
Posts: 2256
Joined: Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:39 pm
Location: Sutton in Ashfield, Nottinghamshire. UK
Great Britain

Re: Want to scratch build my own Diorama buildings

Post by wappynutter »

I am busy building small scale farm type building right now for my D-Day build..
I will post up soon but do as I did and just Google for images of your chosen building and then use artistic licence to create a similar building.
Use your figure for scale reference. He is gonna be around 6 feet tall... :th:
Good luck..
:cheers2:
Regards Andy...Image
YouTube Channel..... http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRdZFBjr6oO-T-2ydSB4HIg
robertw
First Sergeant
First Sergeant
Posts: 509
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:36 am
Location: West Virginia, USA

Re: Want to scratch build my own Diorama buildings

Post by robertw »

Well first off your scale is 1/35. So from what I recall from what I've read is that means 1 inch would equal 35 inches (I don't speak metric so you might have to do some conversions). If my math is right, which it probably isn't, around 10-11" tall X 13-14" wide X 17" long. I could be completely wrong but hope this helps. And if I am wrong then well I'm American so what do you expect :lol:
I build bad models so you can feel good about yourself! :th:
User avatar
NAMBiohazard
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant
Posts: 474
Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:21 pm
Location: Windhoek, Namibia

Re: Want to scratch build my own Diorama buildings

Post by NAMBiohazard »

Thx for the replies

Currently I am trying to build from photographs but there is always some area or part that does just not look correct to scale
Keep the glue on the Sprue

Bjorn
User avatar
MerseyTrainz
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant
Posts: 377
Joined: Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:06 pm
Location: Wirral, Merseyside, UK
Great Britain

Re: Want to scratch build my own Diorama buildings

Post by MerseyTrainz »

Try to use a know size, such as a door or window then apply the scale to it.

i.e. 6' 6" door height = 78" scale 1/35

so 78 / 35 = 2.228" or approximately 2 1/4 " (2.25")

to scale up 2.25 x 35 = 78.75 "

the 35 (1/35) is the scale factor.

Hope this helps
Best regards... Stephen (MerseyTrainz)

On the Bench... Tamiya 1/35 British Army Chieftain Mk.5 Military Model Tank (35068), Tamiya 1/35 US Army M3 Stuart Light Tank - WW2 (35042)
User avatar
MerseyTrainz
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant
Posts: 377
Joined: Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:06 pm
Location: Wirral, Merseyside, UK
Great Britain

Re: Want to scratch build my own Diorama buildings

Post by MerseyTrainz »

Therefor .....


60" / 35 = 1.714"

48" / 35 = 1.371"

36" / 35 = 1.02857"

30" / 35 = 0.85714

24" / 35 = 0.68571"

12" / 35 = 0.3428571"

6" / 35 = 0.1714"

Hope this helps
Best regards... Stephen (MerseyTrainz)

On the Bench... Tamiya 1/35 British Army Chieftain Mk.5 Military Model Tank (35068), Tamiya 1/35 US Army M3 Stuart Light Tank - WW2 (35042)
User avatar
chief5437
Major
Major
Posts: 4810
Joined: Fri May 31, 2013 1:25 pm
Location: England
England

Re: Want to scratch build my own Diorama buildings

Post by chief5437 »

The imodelkit app has a scale converter on it. Just put in the size and it converts it to whatever scale you want. HTH
Chief
Post Reply

Return to “Modelling Chat”