Seam Step (Tamiy 1/48 P51)

General Modelling discusion that doesn't fit into any of the other sections
Post Reply
User avatar
ApachePrincess99
Private First Class
Private First Class
Posts: 32
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:22 pm
Location: Florida, USA

Seam Step (Tamiy 1/48 P51)

Post by ApachePrincess99 »

I put the top engine cowl on. The fit is pretty good except for the part of the panel line that is closest to the cockpit. There is a slight step between the cowl piece and the cowl the was molded with the fuselage. I know that I am going to have to do some sanding. The problem is, there are very fine circles indicating the panel screws and I know I am going to sand them off. Any suggestions?

I am going to use Alclad II, so my prep work has to be pretty spot on.

Thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
AP99
User avatar
5Craven
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
Posts: 652
Joined: Sun May 26, 2013 6:51 pm
Location: Weymouth, Dorset, UK

Re: Seam Step (Tamiy 1/48 P51)

Post by 5Craven »

Use micro drill bits in a pin vice and when you have nearly removed screw mark deepen the hole with the drill. Don't go too mad though you can always do a bit more once your done. They may not be identical to the original mark but once you have paint and a wash in them you will never notice.
On the Bench

1/48 Revell SH-60B Seahawk (on hold)
1/72 Matchbox Supermarine Walrus II (Decalling)
1/48 Hasegawa Idolm@ster F-16C (Decals complete)
1/35 Hobbyboss ZSL-92 IFV (Building)
User avatar
ApachePrincess99
Private First Class
Private First Class
Posts: 32
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:22 pm
Location: Florida, USA

Re: Seam Step (Tamiy 1/48 P51)

Post by ApachePrincess99 »

My main concerns was the difference in appearance. Thanks SCraven for easing my mind. The step is not too bad. However, it will stick out like a sore thumb when I paint it with Alclad II.
AP99
User avatar
chief5437
Major
Major
Posts: 4810
Joined: Fri May 31, 2013 1:25 pm
Location: England
England

Re: Seam Step (Tamiy 1/48 P51)

Post by chief5437 »

Would it be possible to remove plastic from inside the panel, thereby making it thinner, allowing it to sit lower/flush with the fuselage?
Chief
User avatar
ApachePrincess99
Private First Class
Private First Class
Posts: 32
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:22 pm
Location: Florida, USA

Re: Seam Step (Tamiy 1/48 P51)

Post by ApachePrincess99 »

That is definitely an option, Chief.
AP99
User avatar
ApachePrincess99
Private First Class
Private First Class
Posts: 32
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:22 pm
Location: Florida, USA

Re: Seam Step (Tamiy 1/48 P51)

Post by ApachePrincess99 »

After working on the seam step a bit, I have smoothed off the edges. However, in trying to keep as much of the surface detail on the high side, I still have the step, but it has a smooth feel to it. I know it will show up if I shoot it with some primer. I guess my only option is to take off more material on the high side, which means all of the rivets and panel lines will be sanded off.
AP99
User avatar
chief5437
Major
Major
Posts: 4810
Joined: Fri May 31, 2013 1:25 pm
Location: England
England

Re: Seam Step (Tamiy 1/48 P51)

Post by chief5437 »

Damn! That's a shame. Good luck with the rest of it! :)
Chief
Post Reply

Return to “Modelling Chat”