Page 3 of 5

Re: Williams Renault FW 19

Posted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 4:33 pm
by Twokidsnosleep
Here is the Phantom... I had masked off the detail curves with cut Frisket and the large area with paper post it notes.

Image

Image


It was a tough paint job and this Blue/White for the Williams is challenging itself and then more so with large questionable gold and red decals to go on top

Re: Williams Renault FW 19

Posted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 4:43 pm
by barryf1fan
That is freakin' beautiful paint, dude!! Yeah, the friskat stuff always worked well for me as long as it was on a flat surface, you could cut it or trim it into whatever shape you wanted (I mostly used it for RC car painting mask) as long as it wasn't around a curve or turn... awaiting your experience with it so you can share the tricks-of-the-trade to get it to work right.

THAT jet though!!

Image

Re: Williams Renault FW 19

Posted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 4:45 pm
by Twokidsnosleep
barryf1fan wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 4:43 pm That is freakin' beautiful paint, dude!! Yeah, the friskat stuff always worked well for me as long as it was on a flat surface, you could cut it or trim it into whatever shape you wanted (I mostly used it for RC car painting mask) as long as it wasn't around a curve or turn... awaiting your experience with it so you can share the tricks-of-the-trade to get it to work right.

THAT jet though!!

Image
Thanks Barry :cheers2:
That build is one of my all time favourite combo's....Phantom F4 + Thunderbirds
Loved making it :D

Re: Williams Renault FW 19

Posted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:53 pm
by Kingdan
You got this dude trust your skills :ooops: :scratch:: :scratch:: :crazy: :nena:

Re: Williams Renault FW 19

Posted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:18 pm
by Twokidsnosleep
Kingdan wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:53 pm You got this dude trust your skills :ooops: :scratch:: :scratch:: :crazy: :nena:
Thanks for the vote of support mate :thumb2:
All depends on how the stuff behaves
Me, I will assuredly NOT behave :D

Re: Williams Renault FW 19

Posted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:08 pm
by Hawkmoon
I usually Run a thin layer of matt varnish along the edges of the masking tape leave to dry and then paint . When dry and your removing the tape pull it off away from the edge at around a 45 degree angle if possible. All looking good and nice work :banana: :banana: :th: :thumb2:

Re: Williams Renault FW 19

Posted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:29 pm
by Twokidsnosleep
Hawkmoon wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:08 pm I usually Run a thin layer of matt varnish along the edges of the masking tape leave to dry and then paint . When dry and your removing the tape pull it off away from the edge at around a 45 degree angle if possible. All looking good and nice work :banana: :banana: :th: :thumb2:
Yep
...and I will start a gentle spray across the tape from behind it's edge instead of INTO the tape's edge
That way you are not forcing air+paint to go under your tape
Some times it is up to the model gods how it works out...you can do everything fine and it just tanks.
Hoping NOT that here

Re: Williams Renault FW 19

Posted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:41 pm
by Kingdan
Ive seen a thread on ism Facebook where a fella masked off something then sprayed lets just say white just to seal the masking then he sprayed the colour that way I think in theory you've reduced the chance of paint bleed πŸ€”πŸ€”πŸ€” worth a think or a test πŸ€”

Re: Williams Renault FW 19

Posted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:46 am
by Twokidsnosleep
Kingdan wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:41 pm Ive seen a thread on ism Facebook where a fella masked off something then sprayed lets just say white just to seal the masking then he sprayed the colour that way I think in theory you've reduced the chance of paint bleed πŸ€”πŸ€”πŸ€” worth a think or a test πŸ€”
Yep would work and a good idea as if I get initial bleed through, it would be white, then it dries and the blue can’t get under
Hmmm, :think: might have a think on that, good one Dan :thumb2:
You are on to something there

Holy shoot I painted the barge boards, the side flare things, blue tonight
GORGEOUS!!! Six drops of red into 10ml blue

Image

Image
I am getting excited about this paint now

Re: Williams Renault FW 19

Posted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:55 pm
by jmurphy18
Looking good Scott! That color blue you came up with looks really rich on the body :th:

Re: Williams Renault FW 19

Posted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 3:18 pm
by Twokidsnosleep
jmurphy18 wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:55 pm Looking good Scott! That color blue you came up with looks really rich on the body :th:
Thank you
Let’s all hope I have mixed enough to last...probably not :bash:

Re: Williams Renault FW 19

Posted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 3:40 pm
by jmurphy18
would you like to borrow "Murphy's Law? Been using this law and excuse now for over 60 years LOL!!

Re: Williams Renault FW 19

Posted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 3:50 pm
by Twokidsnosleep
jmurphy18 wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 3:40 pm would you like to borrow "Murphy's Law? Been using this law and excuse now for over 60 years LOL!!
:lol:
Oh I think Mr Murphy and his law visits me on a regular basis

Re: Williams Renault FW 19

Posted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:52 pm
by Kingdan
That's a good blue colour if you think your gonna run out use I slightly lighter blue as a base then the proper colour over the top πŸ˜‰πŸ˜ŽπŸ‘πŸ»

Re: Williams Renault FW 19

Posted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:08 pm
by Twokidsnosleep
Kingdan wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:52 pm That's a good blue colour if you think your gonna run out use I slightly lighter blue as a base then the proper colour over the top πŸ˜‰πŸ˜ŽπŸ‘πŸ»
I may have accidentally decanted more TS blue into another bottle just in case some dummy runs out of paint
I probably should mix it all together now so I don't have more than one batch as that is just asking for a shade match problem :think:
Ya I will mix them all and add the touch of red

Some good ideas coming from your side of the pond, mate :thumb2: ..what have you done with the real Dan??? :D

Re: Williams Renault FW 19

Posted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:23 pm
by Kingdan
Twokidsnosleep wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:08 pm
Kingdan wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:52 pm That's a good blue colour if you think your gonna run out use I slightly lighter blue as a base then the proper colour over the top πŸ˜‰πŸ˜ŽπŸ‘πŸ»
I may have accidentally decanted more TS blue into another bottle just in case some dummy runs out of paint
I probably should mix it all together now so I don't have more than one batch as that is just asking for a shade match problem :think:
Ya I will mix them all and add the touch of red

Some good ideas coming from your side of the pond, mate :thumb2: ..what have you done with the real Dan??? :D
Hahahaha it must have been a bump to the head :bash: :crazy: :wtf: :nena:

Re: Williams Renault FW 19

Posted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:11 am
by Twokidsnosleep
Little nudge forward with paint
I pooled all my decanted Blue , added red and got it into one bottle mixed well
Painted the front nose after adding a tape off for the white

Image

Image

Pretty happy with the blue I ended up with. More tomorrow and weekend where I will use the other Frisket masks
:thumb2: :cheers2:

Re: Williams Renault FW 19

Posted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:24 pm
by Kingdan
Yeah your gonna do fine with it I thinks,the blue is looking great πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ»

Re: Williams Renault FW 19

Posted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:03 pm
by Twokidsnosleep
Kingdan wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:24 pm Yeah your gonna do fine with it I thinks,the blue is looking great πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ»
Thanks mate
Yes I think I will get this, just the variable of taping and how clean the lines can get
The Tamiya TS decanted paints spray an absolute treat, just love using those in the airbrush
I am for sure going to use your excellent white spray idea to seal the tape line :thumb2:
I have a four day weekend and it is forecasted rainy....so plan is to get the body fully painted up
:cheers2:

Re: Williams Renault FW 19

Posted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:47 pm
by Kingdan
Twokidsnosleep wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:03 pm
Kingdan wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:24 pm Yeah your gonna do fine with it I thinks,the blue is looking great πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ»
Thanks mate
Yes I think I will get this, just the variable of taping and how clean the lines can get
The Tamiya TS decanted paints spray an absolute treat, just love using those in the airbrush
I am for sure going to use your excellent white spray idea to seal the tape line :thumb2:
I have a four day weekend and it is forecasted rainy....so plan is to get the body fully painted up
:cheers2:
Looking forward to seeing the results 🀘🏻🀘🏻🀘🏻

Re: Williams Renault FW 19

Posted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:34 am
by Twokidsnosleep
Sooooo I am 2/3 done painting.
Finished off the engine cowling section blue parts

Image

Image

Image

Image

Then trying the gold and red decal stripes on their paper backing still as a test fit...look at those bubbles😱
Image

Image

Getting there...that front curved one is the DEVIL!!!

Re: Williams Renault FW 19

Posted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:05 am
by jmurphy18
Looking good so far! Sitting watching the tube. Just finished stage 7 of the tour & now Xfinity @ Kansas with a glass of red to help pass the time :) :cheers2:

Re: Williams Renault FW 19

Posted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:24 am
by Twokidsnosleep
jmurphy18 wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:05 am Looking good so far! Sitting watching the tube. Just finished stage 7 of the tour & now Xfinity @ Kansas with a glass of red to help pass the time :) :cheers2:
Make sure you get a rest, wouldn’t want to overdo it
;)

Re: Williams Renault FW 19

Posted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:54 am
by Twokidsnosleep
So here she sits overnight now letting all that lovely jubbly paint set up.
A few bits to touch up, but pretty ok with this

Image

Image

Next will be clear coat after a fine sand possibly tomorrow

Re: Williams Renault FW 19

Posted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:09 am
by barryf1fan
Getting close... after your post yesterday I pulled out the Autocourse I have from '96/'97 and went through it. Ahh, reminiscing. Looking forward to the completion. :cheers2:

Re: Williams Renault FW 19

Posted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:46 pm
by Twokidsnosleep
barryf1fan wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:09 am Getting close... after your post yesterday I pulled out the Autocourse I have from '97/'97 and went through it. Ahh, reminiscing. Looking forward to the completion. :cheers2:
I had stopped watching F1 completely after Gilles Villeneuve died. Just stopped. No models. Nothing
So I completely missed Jacques run to the championship and battle vs the evil forces of Schumi and Ferrari
The race at Jerez was awesome to watch on replays, though he should have held for a podium placement
My favourite photos of Jarez

The bump
Image

The spectator
Image

Re: Williams Renault FW 19

Posted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:03 pm
by jmurphy18
:whistle: I got my rest now so I can comment :)
Your paint job looks awesome! :th: :bow:: Very nicely done Scott! All that work is well worth the effort and time you have put into this model. :th: :cheers2:

LOL another non Ferrari fan! You can tell when you watch the F1 announcers are big Ferrari fans....... :shifty:

I do NASCAR, Indy Cars (CART) and IMSA. not much time left for F1. Like you in Indy cars I do not like Alex Rossi if he is dominating (I record the races on my DVR) I just delete the race :evil: Do not like the dude

Re: Williams Renault FW 19

Posted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:05 pm
by barryf1fan
Twokidsnosleep wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:46 pm
barryf1fan wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:09 am Getting close... after your post yesterday I pulled out the Autocourse I have from '97/'97 and went through it. Ahh, reminiscing. Looking forward to the completion. :cheers2:
I had stopped watching F1 completely after Gilles Villeneuve died. Just stopped. No models. Nothing
So I completely missed Jacques run to the championship and battle vs the evil forces of Schumi and Ferrari
The race at Jerez was awesome to watch on replays, though he should have held for a podium placement
My favourite photos of Jarez

The bump
Image

The spectator
Image
Yeah, that was a great race... I was so sad when JV left IndyCar to go to F1 - but he became the biggest thorn in TGF's side, so it was great!! I miss Jerez, still get to watch it in MotoGP, but there are several F1 circuits I miss (and understand why they aren't on the calendar, for the various reasons).

I was fortunate it enough to be able to make the GP at Silverstone in 2000. Not only did my favorite driver at the time win the race, DC (David Coulthard in the McLaren), but TGF was stuck behind JV in the BAR Honda for pretty much the entire race ( They were running around 2,3 or 3,4..)!! :lol: :lol: We were standing at Copse (which was turn 1 back then), and that was back when they had the old Pits (the ones the bikes use now) and Schumi tried to get JV in the pits... but you should have heard the crowd when JV came out in front of Schumi and about ran him off the track going into Maggotts, on cold tires, to keep the position. You'd thought that a Brit had just won the race. It was hilarious. Schumi was an awesome driver but not liked by the British.

Anyway, fun remembering some of those old races - others not so much... :thumb1:

Re: Williams Renault FW 19

Posted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:34 pm
by Twokidsnosleep
Got help me with TGF???
I can’t figure it out

Re: Williams Renault FW 19

Posted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:45 pm
by Kingdan
That paint is looking sharp mate πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ»

Re: Williams Renault FW 19

Posted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:29 am
by Twokidsnosleep
Kingdan wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:45 pm That paint is looking sharp mate πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ»
Cheers bud, pretty happy with it :D .

I got some Gravity 2K laid down today over paint and over the decalled front and rear wings. No lifts or reactions so far :shhh:

Image

I dropped this still sticky wing taking it out for the pic, thankfully landed peanut butter side up and not down, but I got some fluff into it :bash: :wall:
Going to leave the rest until tomorrow. Then will do rest of the decals and do another Gravity clear over them
Damn they are so shiny, almost a bit too much so :think:

Re: Williams Renault FW 19

Posted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 3:53 am
by barryf1fan
Twokidsnosleep wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:34 pm Got help me with TGF???
I can’t figure it out
That German Fellow... or, another "F" word. :roll: :lol:

Re: Williams Renault FW 19

Posted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 3:55 am
by Twokidsnosleep
barryf1fan wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 3:53 am
Twokidsnosleep wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:34 pm Got help me with TGF???
I can’t figure it out
That German Fellow... or, another "F" word. :roll: :lol:
Oh that is awesome :lol: :lol: :lol: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Pissed myself laughing at that :D

Re: Williams Renault FW 19

Posted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 5:08 pm
by Kingdan
Twokidsnosleep wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:29 am
Kingdan wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:45 pm That paint is looking sharp mate πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ»
Cheers bud, pretty happy with it :D .

I got some Gravity 2K laid down today over paint and over the decalled front and rear wings. No lifts or reactions so far :shhh:

Image

I dropped this still sticky wing taking it out for the pic, thankfully landed peanut butter side up and not down, but I got some fluff into it :bash: :wall:
Going to leave the rest until tomorrow. Then will do rest of the decals and do another Gravity clear over them
Damn they are so shiny, almost a bit too much so :think:
Yeah that's gonna look special when it's glossed 🀘🏻🀘🏻🀘🏻🀘🏻🀘🏻

Re: Williams Renault FW 19

Posted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:05 pm
by Twokidsnosleep
OH SHITE.
One step forward, two steps back
I Gravity 2K cleared everything and not bad.
Then I did the large decals on top of the clear with intent of another layer of clear possibly over the decals. Maybe
This car altered its livery sponsors every race, so no way the logos were in the clear, they were on top.
Anyhow....cleared

Image

Image

Image

While on a good decalling roll, I found I had lost a small section of the side stripe that has the Mirage logo.
Nowhere to be seen. Twice through the garbage, hands and knees floor, desk turned over. Shoot.
This logo
Image[/ur]

Other side’s decal is wrinkly
Image


Found this on Internet
Image

Going to office to try and print something out myself
#*%\}{#🀬😑

Re: Williams Renault FW 19

Posted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:59 pm
by Kingdan
Damn son I'm sure you'll sort it mate πŸ‘

Re: Williams Renault FW 19

Posted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:45 pm
by Twokidsnosleep
Kingdan wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:59 pm Damn son I'm sure you'll sort it mate πŸ‘
Getting there buddy, have a handful of home printer logos, see if I can make them into decals

Re: Williams Renault FW 19

Posted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:30 am
by Twokidsnosleep
Oh cripes am I getting sick of this
Got the majority of the decals done.
The Mirage one I actually had to CA glue down into place...it was stiff as a board and would not curve. That takes the steam out of your mojo for a build, let me tell you.

Image

Still some lines to connect and paint up, but really close for the body work.
Image

Image

Image

Now just a few more details...ahh damn, I missed the front curve by the cockpit.
Ok more decals to do

Re: Williams Renault FW 19

Posted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:04 am
by kiwigav
Nice work mate. :th:

I really must get back to my MP13 :ooops: :crazy: :wtf:

Re: Williams Renault FW 19

Posted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:42 am
by Twokidsnosleep
She is getting really close now, last few little tidbits to add.

Image

Image

Image

Image


I am a bit worn out with the decal fiascos, so might finish the externals and not do the two internal side tunnels and electricals...we shall see. If I don’t do them now, I will never do them.
I think the shift will go over to the Bandai X -Wing now

Re: Williams Renault FW 19

Posted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:34 am
by barryf1fan
However you do it, I, for one, am loving this iconic car. JV was one of my favorite drivers of that era. Whatever you decide to do - I support you. :thumb1:

Image

Re: Williams Renault FW 19

Posted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:12 pm
by Twokidsnosleep
barryf1fan wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:34 am However you do it, I, for one, am loving this iconic car. JV was one of my favorite drivers of that era. Whatever you decide to do - I support you. :thumb1:

Image
Cheers bud, thanks
Sometimes a bit away is all I need to push for full proper finish
She is done enough for the FB gb she was build for, just not done enough for me

Re: Williams Renault FW 19

Posted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:45 pm
by jmurphy18
Your work looks awesome! Just think you kicked them off for lack of paying the bill or something :crazy:
It is a real pain in the tail when you lose something !

Awesome so far dude! :th:

Re: Williams Renault FW 19

Posted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:30 pm
by Twokidsnosleep
She is so close to the finish line.
I am at a weird stage near the end of a build where I get completely sick of it and just want it done. That can lead to sloppiness and incomplete building and
it is a pattern I have noticed myself falling into.
My plan is to back off her for a couple weeks and dive into the X Wing. Once I get that rolling well, my interest for the Fw19 will re-spark and I will do the last bits.
Finish list:
*Last Rothmans decals
*Red pinstripe and Gold painted tape for the missing stripes
*Make the L/R air boxes and carbon fibre decal them
*Make the electrical stuff and detail wiring onto of air boxes
*antennae for nose
*camera thing on the snorkel

Re: Williams Renault FW 19

Posted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:10 pm
by Kingdan
One last push to the finish mate then burn it lol πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

Re: Williams Renault FW 19

Posted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:37 pm
by Twokidsnosleep
Kingdan wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:10 pm One last push to the finish mate then burn it lol πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚
Ya you smokers..I tells ya
Been the trend lately

Re: Williams Renault FW 19

Posted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:52 pm
by Kingdan
Twokidsnosleep wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:37 pm
Kingdan wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:10 pm One last push to the finish mate then burn it lol πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚
Ya you smokers..I tells ya
Been the trend lately
πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚ it does help trust me lol

Re: Williams Renault FW 19

Posted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:18 pm
by jmurphy18
LOL, I know what you mean on pushing. I think having 2 builds help me on the NSX that I just finished. Remember those pictures of the two vultures? "patience heck I just want to kill something.... :tongue: Pictures going up today of my NSX.
PS my wife calls me Mr 2nd day air or I want it yesterday. :)

Re: Williams Renault FW 19

Posted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:54 pm
by alextheblue
Sooooo close now! I can't stand it! :jd:

Looking really good, you should be very proud of all your hard work. Excellent job! :cheers2: :cheers2: :clap: :clap:

Re: Williams Renault FW 19

Posted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:04 pm
by Twokidsnosleep
alextheblue wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:54 pm Sooooo close now! I can't stand it! :jd:

Looking really good, you should be very proud of all your hard work. Excellent job! :cheers2: :cheers2: :clap: :clap:
Thanks Alex....I have the rest of the month to pick away at it according to my plans and time scheduled
It will get done