Page 3 of 4

Re: Tamiya 1/32 F-16CJ (Block 50) Fighting Falcon

Posted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:22 pm
by Paul
patrickroos wrote:This will be a stunner Paul!
Crap have to get those Alclads...Amazing finish with that stuff.
The gunmetal looks ultra realistic and with the dry brushing it was spot on.
Sad it had to be tucked away under the panel... :lol:

:cheers2:
At least the panels are removable so i can display it if i wanted :th:

Re: Tamiya 1/32 F-16CJ (Block 50) Fighting Falcon

Posted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:30 am
by Nige201980
This is fantastic work again mate.

Re: Tamiya 1/32 F-16CJ (Block 50) Fighting Falcon

Posted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:25 pm
by muskegman
That looks amazing Paul :th:

Mark

Re: Tamiya 1/32 F-16CJ (Block 50) Fighting Falcon

Posted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:07 pm
by DC87
Same as usual then Paul :tongue: - great work, the gun looks mean but oh so beautiful.

Re: Tamiya 1/32 F-16CJ (Block 50) Fighting Falcon

Posted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:32 pm
by Paul
Cheers guys.

So i spent 30 mins or so getting rid of the seams on the canopies.

After going at it with a blade to remove the raised seam i then used the grey Ultimate sander, then the 1200 Black, followed by the green and then the white buffer, this made short work of the seam, i then used my zero polishing compounds, which are ok but i did finish with the tamiya fine as its a finer paste.

I then gave them a wipe over with a cloth soaked in Ultimate thinner to remove any remnants of polish. Job done :thumb2:
Image
ImageImageImage

Re: Tamiya 1/32 F-16CJ (Block 50) Fighting Falcon

Posted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:39 pm
by Filmman586
Can't wait!

Re: Tamiya 1/32 F-16CJ (Block 50) Fighting Falcon

Posted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 4:28 pm
by Nige201980
great work on the canopy mate

Re: Tamiya 1/32 F-16CJ (Block 50) Fighting Falcon

Posted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 4:31 pm
by Paul
Cheers fellas, masking it up has been different ill explain when i post the next update, hopefully later tonight :thumb2:

Re: Tamiya 1/32 F-16CJ (Block 50) Fighting Falcon

Posted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 7:31 pm
by Paul
So I got the canopy mask set and set to masking the canopy, there's two complete sets of masks in the set, one leaves a 1mm gap around the canopy glass the idea being once masked you spray the interior colour first (so when the canopy is open it matches the cockpit) you then spray over that in a rubber colour, I use mr hobby tyre black. This is then unmasked and you mask it flush to the edges and when sprayed in the base colour and unmasked it leaves a small rubber trim around the canopy. Long winded but serves it's purpose.

So the whole plane was checked for an blemishes which were polished out with a Ultimate polisher. I then went through the instruction book adding any parts I had left out, like antenna sensors etc.

I then primed everything in AK grey primer.

Image

The primer really shows the lovely surface detail of the kit.

Image

And all the other parts primed too

Image

Re: Tamiya 1/32 F-16CJ (Block 50) Fighting Falcon

Posted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:35 pm
by Nige201980
Looking good mate that detail is superb

Re: Tamiya 1/32 F-16CJ (Block 50) Fighting Falcon

Posted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:01 pm
by Paul
Yeah it is superbly detailed which I've just ruined with my as usual crap pre shading lol well they do same the more random the better :wtf: 90 mins to do the pre shading :crazy: :wtf:

Paint next though :cheers2: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:


Image
Image

Re: Tamiya 1/32 F-16CJ (Block 50) Fighting Falcon

Posted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:39 pm
by Fredrik64
Great work there Paul :th:

Re: Tamiya 1/32 F-16CJ (Block 50) Fighting Falcon

Posted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 6:07 pm
by Paul
So on with the paint scheme

The F-16 block 50 has three main colours

Mr Hobby H308 - FS36375 for the underside
Mr Hobby H306 for the lower fuselage
Mr Hobby H305 for the main fuselage colour

The Mr Hobby H305 FS36118 looked way too light a grey when i sprayed it on so i swapped that for Mr Hobby H331 Dark sea grey, which looks a much better match to the proper colour.

The nose cones on these are a composite material and depending if they are cleaned or not will just get darker and darker with age and use, so there is no definitive colour for these any semi light to dark grey will do, i choose mr hobby H317 as it was a nice grey in-between the other colour giving some variation.
Image

First of i sprayed the underside with the H308, ill mask off and respray the wheel bays when i need to
Image

I then sprayed the front of the top side of the fuselage in Mr Hobby H306, using the colour callout as a reference, the tail was also painted in this colour.
Image

I then freehanded the dark sea grey H331 over the top, giving it the distinctive pattern where it meets the H306. The nose was also painted in the H317. Panel fading will be the next job as well as some post shading and highlights. Not sure if the pre shading is showing well on the pics but it already has that nice panel faded effect. :thumb2:

Image
ImageImageImageImage

Re: Tamiya 1/32 F-16CJ (Block 50) Fighting Falcon

Posted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 7:04 pm
by DC87
Great great work Paul - the freehand is spot on and the pre shading in the final pic gives a great effect.

Re: Tamiya 1/32 F-16CJ (Block 50) Fighting Falcon

Posted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:18 pm
by Nige201980
WOW i think that is your best paint work yet mate stunning mate truly stunning

Re: Tamiya 1/32 F-16CJ (Block 50) Fighting Falcon

Posted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:09 pm
by Fredrik64
Looking really really good pre shading is great It`s going to be a sweet model for sure :th:

Watching closely :pop:

Re: Tamiya 1/32 F-16CJ (Block 50) Fighting Falcon

Posted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:31 pm
by Paul
Cheers guys :cheers2:

Re: Tamiya 1/32 F-16CJ (Block 50) Fighting Falcon

Posted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:36 pm
by Tiger131
Its model porn...thats one clear cockpit just like glass. And a stunning job and the paint job so far..ummmm

Re: Tamiya 1/32 F-16CJ (Block 50) Fighting Falcon

Posted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:35 pm
by HWGuderian23
Looks stunning Paul :th:! Totally agree with Hollywood ... so much skills needed to get an aircraft that perfect as this! My deepest respect mate :bow::!

Re: Tamiya 1/32 F-16CJ (Block 50) Fighting Falcon

Posted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:58 pm
by JayCub
its rubbish, only kidding Paul as all the best words for this build has been used, and this is definitely one I would like to try myself some-day after following this build log.

Tom

Re: Tamiya 1/32 F-16CJ (Block 50) Fighting Falcon

Posted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:31 pm
by JamesHavoc
Inspired! So much so that my kit gets delivered tomorrow, can't wait to start my build. I think the alclad metalizer work is amazing, job well done. Just hope I can meet the excellent quality shown here by Paul.

Re: Tamiya 1/32 F-16CJ (Block 50) Fighting Falcon

Posted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:34 pm
by Paul
JamesHavoc wrote:Inspired! So much so that my kit gets delivered tomorrow, can't wait to start my build. I think the alclad metalizer work is amazing, job well done. Just hope I can meet the excellent quality shown here by Paul.
Nice one James, you won't be disappointed with the kit, look forward to seeing your build :thumb2:

Re: Tamiya 1/32 F-16CJ (Block 50) Fighting Falcon

Posted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:49 pm
by Matthew
:jd: great work dude :th:

Re: Tamiya 1/32 F-16CJ (Block 50) Fighting Falcon

Posted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:16 am
by mrtree39
looks FANTASTIC :crazy: :jd: :banana: :banana: :banana:

Re: Tamiya 1/32 F-16CJ (Block 50) Fighting Falcon

Posted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:32 am
by conradschmid99
The paint looks great

Re: Tamiya 1/32 F-16CJ (Block 50) Fighting Falcon

Posted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:31 pm
by JamesHavoc
Paul, I'm wondering on two points, 1, what did you use to prime for the Mr Hobby Dark Iron? 2, what did you use to seal in the engine alclads?

Re: Tamiya 1/32 F-16CJ (Block 50) Fighting Falcon

Posted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:26 pm
by Paul
You don't need it prime for the mr hobby buff able and as if yet I haven't sealed the alclads they are very tough paints.

Re: Tamiya 1/32 F-16CJ (Block 50) Fighting Falcon

Posted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:14 pm
by Paul
So some weathering done to the paintwork, i first lightened the base colours with light and applied random spots and swirls of paint in all the panels, i then added black to the base colour and did the same, but also added post shading with this colour too, this was done to all the surfaces and the result can be seen below, the camera doesn't pick up all the fading and exaggerates the post shading. all in theres about 3 hours work there. First time using the H&S Infinity and I'm impressed, didn't think i would feel a difference over the evolution, but i can.
Image
ImageImageImageImage

Re: Tamiya 1/32 F-16CJ (Block 50) Fighting Falcon

Posted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:33 pm
by Drunkmaster
Hi Paul, I looked all topic, you are a very good modeller. Great work on the cockpit and sensational preshading.
Congratulations, it would be a great model ;)

Re: Tamiya 1/32 F-16CJ (Block 50) Fighting Falcon

Posted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:59 pm
by Coen
Just spend half an hour catching up on this Paulywog.... You should be ashamed of yourself.... How dare you do such an awesome job, you should go find the nearest wood shed, step behind it and whoop yourself with a shovel.
What a fantastic job! What self respecting modeller would ever want to do such a great piece like that!
Shame on your house and the horse you rode in on.

Hahaha,
Have some thumbs up you bastard
:th: :th: :th: :th: :th:
Now go past yourself on the back and finish her.
:nena:

Re: Tamiya 1/32 F-16CJ (Block 50) Fighting Falcon

Posted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:09 pm
by Paul
Ha ha mike, thanks buddy, I'm not sure if the post shading is a tad heavy, i may dull it down a tad.....hmm will see, its gotta sit for a while now while i do the nest corsair and tech guide vids so ill be back at this next week (i hope, damn videos are taking over my life lol)

Re: Tamiya 1/32 F-16CJ (Block 50) Fighting Falcon

Posted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:26 am
by Spoiler
Wow....I have this kit myself...It's going to really help when I go to build mine....It will be shelved for a while until I get some others done before I tackle this ...I love the Falcon and will do some others first...Thanks Paul for really doing this magnificent piece of aircraft some true justice!

Re: Tamiya 1/32 F-16CJ (Block 50) Fighting Falcon

Posted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:09 am
by Coen
Paul wrote:Ha ha mike, thanks buddy, I'm not sure if the post shading is a tad heavy, i may dull it down a tad.....hmm will see, its gotta sit for a while now while i do the nest corsair and tech guide vids so ill be back at this next week (i hope, damn videos are taking over my life lol)
Gee... I have know idea what that's like haha.
I like the post shading. To me it looks just right. The contrast holds up really well.
But I can't see the real thing, only photos and video, you're the best judge on that.

Re: Tamiya 1/32 F-16CJ (Block 50) Fighting Falcon

Posted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:27 pm
by generalgrog
IN the words of soccer broadcasters...It's MAGIC!!!

Great job Paul..absolutely fantastic post shading there. :cheers2: :cheers2:

GG

Re: Tamiya 1/32 F-16CJ (Block 50) Fighting Falcon

Posted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:28 pm
by Paul
Spoiler wrote:Wow....I have this kit myself...It's going to really help when I go to build mine....It will be shelved for a while until I get some others done before I tackle this ...I love the Falcon and will do some others first...Thanks Paul for really doing this magnificent piece of aircraft some true justice!
Cheers spoiler, you will love building this kit, it is superb.

Re: Tamiya 1/32 F-16CJ (Block 50) Fighting Falcon

Posted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:29 pm
by Paul
generalgrog wrote:IN the words of soccer broadcasters...It's MAGIC!!!

Great job Paul..absolutely fantastic post shading there. :cheers2: :cheers2:

GG
Ha ha cheers GG :thumb2:

Re: Tamiya 1/32 F-16CJ (Block 50) Fighting Falcon

Posted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:34 pm
by JamesHavoc
Hey, I'm just filling my online basket with a mass paint order for the colours re this kit. There is one colour which caught my eye that looks a little hard to match based on various F-16 google results.

It's the yellow/green engine bay colour. Some ref images show a yellow hue and some show a more green hue. Instructions state Tamiya XF4 (Green Hue). Wondering why Paul has gone with the yellow and is the yellow colour more accurate over the green hue?

Paul, whats the engine bay colour you used? It very closly matches a ref image I googled and does look more yellow than XF4.

very baffled lol.

Re: Tamiya 1/32 F-16CJ (Block 50) Fighting Falcon

Posted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:48 pm
by Paul
I did use xf4, ignore the colour shown on the tamiya lid as the paint is actually a different colour

Re: Tamiya 1/32 F-16CJ (Block 50) Fighting Falcon

Posted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:59 pm
by Rodney
:jd: :jd: WOW :bow:: That a fine job your doing

Re: Tamiya 1/32 F-16CJ (Block 50) Fighting Falcon

Posted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:16 pm
by Nige201980
Really well done Paul you painting skills are second to none just simply out of this world mate

Re: Tamiya 1/32 F-16CJ (Block 50) Fighting Falcon

Posted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:37 pm
by JamesHavoc
Can anyone suggest which would give the correct looking engine? Not used them before so am a little unsure which one to order..

Alclad 2, Highly Polished Aluminium Cellulose Lacquer
or
Alclad 2, Aluminium Cellulose Lacquer

Re: Tamiya 1/32 F-16CJ (Block 50) Fighting Falcon

Posted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:39 pm
by Paul
I would just get the aluminium personally although there are several shade on my engine.

Re: Tamiya 1/32 F-16CJ (Block 50) Fighting Falcon

Posted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:35 am
by rip1978
looks awesome paul.

Re: Tamiya 1/32 F-16CJ (Block 50) Fighting Falcon

Posted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 1:13 pm
by ERADIQ8
It looks absolutely awesome Paul. I have that kit sitting in my to do list. I have much more to learn before I would consider doing it though. Practice practice practice for me :)

Re: Tamiya 1/32 F-16CJ (Block 50) Fighting Falcon

Posted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:32 pm
by GaryEssex
Great job on this Paul. I've just spent a while reading through this build. Can't wait to see it finished

Gary...

Re: Tamiya 1/32 F-16CJ (Block 50) Fighting Falcon

Posted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:48 pm
by Paul
So another hour or so on the paintwork, adding more fading and bleaching effects, I'm happy with it now so next job in touching up the wheel wells then some clear and then some decals. You may not be able to see much deference from the last pics, but its a lot more weathered now.
Image
ImageImageImageImage

Also got the nose mounted radar painted up and glued in place, just needs weathering with the rest of the falcon. The inside of the radome was sprayed Mr hobby radome lol and then masked and the white outer edge spayed in white.
Image

Re: Tamiya 1/32 F-16CJ (Block 50) Fighting Falcon

Posted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:09 pm
by alextheblue
Paul, you're a very bad man - love watching all your builds and vids and for a number of days now I have been lurking around the eModels website with a special interest on modern jets and have almost hit "buy now" a number of times (as an armour guy, I just need to work out where the tracks go and just what are those sticky out things at the side!!)

Your building skills are phenomenal, but for me it's your painting that amazes me - absolutely outstanding!!! In your build threads and videos you make it look effortless and this is the sign of a master at work :th: :th: :clap: :clap: :bow:: :bow::

First class work as always and thanks for taking the time to share it! :clap: :clap: :clap:



P.S. You're still a bad man - you've also got me hankering after an H&S Infinity!

Re: Tamiya 1/32 F-16CJ (Block 50) Fighting Falcon

Posted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:14 pm
by Paul
alextheblue wrote:Paul, you're a very bad man - love watching all your builds and vids and for a number of days now I have been lurking around the eModels website with a special interest on modern jets and have almost hit "buy now" a number of times (as an armour guy, I just need to work out where the tracks go and just what are those sticky out things at the side!!)

Your building skills are phenomenal, but for me it's your painting that amazes me - absolutely outstanding!!! In your build threads and videos you make it look effortless and this is the sign of a master at work :th: :th: :clap: :clap: :bow:: :bow::

First class work as always and thanks for taking the time to share it! :clap: :clap: :clap:



P.S. You're still a bad man - you've also got me hankering after an H&S Infinity!
Wow cheers alex, if your after a beginner jet, that great wall hobby mig29 is by far one of the best kits you can get, i know its not cheap, but its just superb, as for the infinity well thats just in a league of its own.

Cheers mate :cheers2:

Re: Tamiya 1/32 F-16CJ (Block 50) Fighting Falcon

Posted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:22 pm
by alextheblue
Just been on the air-craft.net site and forgive the pun, but I' think I'm going to pull-the-trigger and get the H&S Infinity. I got my Evolution based on your recommendation and it was everything you said it would be and then some!

If I'm going to get a new AB, what better than a new project. Loved watching your GWH Mig build and the final reveal was just mind-blowing - still re-visit the thread and marvel at the pictures.

Heck, it's only money and if the wife asks, I'll tell her the bigger boys made me do it!! :eeek: :th:

Re: Tamiya 1/32 F-16CJ (Block 50) Fighting Falcon

Posted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:26 pm
by Paul
alextheblue wrote:Just been on the air-craft.net site and forgive the pun, but I' think I'm going to pull-the-trigger and get the H&S Infinity. I got my Evolution based on your recommendation and it was everything you said it would be and then some!

If I'm going to get a new AB, what better than a new project. Loved watching your GWH Mig build and the final reveal was just mind-blowing - still re-visit the thread and marvel at the pictures.

Heck, it's only money and if the wife asks, I'll tell her the bigger boys made me do it!! :eeek: :th:
Just blame me mate, i don't mind lol

Yeah Martin at air-craft.net is a cracking bloke and the service is 2nd to none,, you will love the infinity especially once you have set it up to yourself. You still gonna keep your evolution too?

As for that gwh kit, the nose needs weight in it as mines a borderline tail sitter and you just need to watch the engine covers join to the fusalage underneath as it can be a bit tricky, other than that it just falls together.