Armourfast SU-85 Diorama

User avatar
PhildaFish
Sergeant Major of the Army
Sergeant Major of the Army
Posts: 1087
Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 7:08 pm
Location: Somerset, England
Contact:
Great Britain

Re: Armourfast SU-85 Diorama

Post by PhildaFish »

Thanks Bill!
I really need to work on this thread, I've only done one evening's serious work on the dio but lots of bits here and there. Everything's kind of on hold whilst waiting for the barrel to arrive from Hong Kong; it didn't come today which I was hoping for as Bridgwater postal workers are on strike (again) tomorrow which means it won't be here until at least Monday... Also awaiting some kits which I was allowed to buy on my wedding anniversary (Poor wifey didn't have a clue what to get me so I just picked a few models until she said "that's enough!") OH! I forgot, I bought a copy of "The Black Hole" on DVD to watch with my son (he's a big sci-fi fan) and was hoping it would come today to coincide with (what I hoped would be a good) school report. It turned out to be a fantastic report but I can't give him his present. I'm so impatient!
I'm rambling away here and completely off-topic, sorry. I'll post up some progress tomorrow.
Please visit my website
Image
For instructions, historical paint charts & paint conversion charts.
Please like Scale World's Facebook page.
My Facebook page.
User avatar
Coen
General
General
Posts: 10136
Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:04 am
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada
Contact:
Canada

Re: Armourfast SU-85 Diorama

Post by Coen »

:lol: :lol: hahha
You're awesome Phil!
User avatar
Bagpiper
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Posts: 755
Joined: Mon May 27, 2013 6:12 am
Location: St. Louis. MO. USA
Contact:
United States of America

Re: Armourfast SU-85 Diorama

Post by Bagpiper »

OK Phil - put down the random statement generator and get some updates done man SHEESH!!!! :lol: :nena: :nena: :nena: :pistols: :pistols:

Oh! and have a nice day :lol:

Cheers
Jim
User avatar
PhildaFish
Sergeant Major of the Army
Sergeant Major of the Army
Posts: 1087
Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 7:08 pm
Location: Somerset, England
Contact:
Great Britain

Re: Armourfast SU-85 Diorama

Post by PhildaFish »

Thanks Coen and sorry Jim! The base for this project started off as just a flat piece of MDF painted in a red shade of brown with two holes drilled for the wires but then I realised it was boring and that I needed a space underneath for the battery, switch and wires so a re-think was in order. What I did to add some interest was to sand a bit of a slope towards the viewer and then, with a large masonry drill bit, gauge out four craters.
Image
Last edited by PhildaFish on Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Please visit my website
Image
For instructions, historical paint charts & paint conversion charts.
Please like Scale World's Facebook page.
My Facebook page.
User avatar
PhildaFish
Sergeant Major of the Army
Sergeant Major of the Army
Posts: 1087
Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 7:08 pm
Location: Somerset, England
Contact:
Great Britain

Re: Armourfast SU-85 Diorama

Post by PhildaFish »

I realised it would be easier to add a plinth than to carve out a groove so I made this and painted it silver.
Image
Please visit my website
Image
For instructions, historical paint charts & paint conversion charts.
Please like Scale World's Facebook page.
My Facebook page.
User avatar
DC87
Chief Warrant Officer 2
Chief Warrant Officer 2
Posts: 1799
Joined: Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:16 pm
Location: Exeter, Devon, UK
England

Re: Armourfast SU-85 Diorama

Post by DC87 »

Very nice. This build has so far contained the 3 major skills of manhood - electronics, DIY and woodcraft. I can safely say you have earned your badges for all 3 of those :clap: .
Dan C

Filling the workbench with:
Sopwith Snipe late post war
WW1 RFC SE5a

WW1-1/32 Snipe
Workbench gets full with models being built - Buys another workbench!

Image
User avatar
PhildaFish
Sergeant Major of the Army
Sergeant Major of the Army
Posts: 1087
Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 7:08 pm
Location: Somerset, England
Contact:
Great Britain

Re: Armourfast SU-85 Diorama

Post by PhildaFish »

Thanks mate! Sometimes I don't plan ahead very effectively and have to improvise, sometimes learning new skills as I go and often do my best work this way. Of course, sometimes I make a complete hash of it that way too, but I always learn something if only how NOT to do it!
This is how it looks when the two off-cuts of MDF were put together with another coat of Games Workshop Citadel Colours Bestial Brown:
Image
Please visit my website
Image
For instructions, historical paint charts & paint conversion charts.
Please like Scale World's Facebook page.
My Facebook page.
User avatar
PhildaFish
Sergeant Major of the Army
Sergeant Major of the Army
Posts: 1087
Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 7:08 pm
Location: Somerset, England
Contact:
Great Britain

Re: Armourfast SU-85 Diorama

Post by PhildaFish »

So this is the first stage of the diorama... umm... Background? Yeah that's probably the most fitting term for it. So, this is the first stage of the background; I'd tried something similar once but had trouble getting the fence posts and trees to stay in place so I tried simple logic to hold them in place - if I wanted a real fence post to stay in place I'd dig a hole in the ground and put the post in there ergo I drilled a line of small holes, dipped the ends of the posts into some PVA glue and then gently forced them into the holes. Bit of an oxymoron there but I was being gentle whilst trying to force them into tight holes. Anyway, grammer aside, I used the same trick for the trees but with slightly larger holes. The fence posts are matchsticks cut into three which gives you an idea of relative size.

Another new trick I tried was to leave two lines free of scatter grass and put small lines of PVA glue across to make ridges to look like tank tracks. It didn't work so I went with plan B but more on that later.

The other thing I'm sure you've noticed is the four lovely flowery looking things, well my original craters just looked too flat so I blobbed some PVA glue around the edges but that wasn't enough so I ripped some small squares of kitchen roll (tissue paper) about 1cm square and then rolled some up and screwed some up and put them in the blobs of PVA and let them unfold randomly and dry into (hopefully) more realistic clods of earth.
Image
Please visit my website
Image
For instructions, historical paint charts & paint conversion charts.
Please like Scale World's Facebook page.
My Facebook page.
User avatar
PhildaFish
Sergeant Major of the Army
Sergeant Major of the Army
Posts: 1087
Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 7:08 pm
Location: Somerset, England
Contact:
Great Britain

Re: Armourfast SU-85 Diorama

Post by PhildaFish »

Painted the clods of earth around the craters and added a little Games Workshop Citadel Colours Chestnut Wash to add a little depth. Plan B for the tank tracks was to use a Dremmel type tool my Grandfather left me to score a series of grooves into the MDF and then let the wood soak up the slightly darker Chestnut Wash leaving a trail of lighter n darker bumps n grooves. It didn't come out quite as I envisioned but better than a flat track or no track at all. The darker wash actually dried paler than the rest of the paint but never mind, the effects the same only reversed.

The other new thing in this photo is the barbed wire (from Gale Force Nine) just looped around each post and pulled tight and looped around the next one. Easy. That explains why I used such tight fitting holes for the posts for fear of pulling them out again when I pulled the wire taught.
Image
Please visit my website
Image
For instructions, historical paint charts & paint conversion charts.
Please like Scale World's Facebook page.
My Facebook page.
User avatar
PhildaFish
Sergeant Major of the Army
Sergeant Major of the Army
Posts: 1087
Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 7:08 pm
Location: Somerset, England
Contact:
Great Britain

Re: Armourfast SU-85 Diorama

Post by PhildaFish »

Here's a better view of the tracks, top one painted and the bottom unpainted to show what I've tried to do:
Image
Please visit my website
Image
For instructions, historical paint charts & paint conversion charts.
Please like Scale World's Facebook page.
My Facebook page.
User avatar
PhildaFish
Sergeant Major of the Army
Sergeant Major of the Army
Posts: 1087
Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 7:08 pm
Location: Somerset, England
Contact:
Great Britain

Re: Armourfast SU-85 Diorama

Post by PhildaFish »

A bit more scatter grass added and some clumps of static grass (made by and bought in my LMS) and a few larger bits of tissue to make the craters even more three dimensional.
Image
Please visit my website
Image
For instructions, historical paint charts & paint conversion charts.
Please like Scale World's Facebook page.
My Facebook page.
User avatar
PhildaFish
Sergeant Major of the Army
Sergeant Major of the Army
Posts: 1087
Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 7:08 pm
Location: Somerset, England
Contact:
Great Britain

Re: Armourfast SU-85 Diorama

Post by PhildaFish »

Added two bits of deadfall, bought from my LMS; it looked really lifelike in the packaging and seemed a bargain at £4.99 but when I got it home I realised I'd just spent a fiver on some dead twigs. No wonder it looked lifelike! Also added some lichen around the trees to make a hedge-row.
Image
Please visit my website
Image
For instructions, historical paint charts & paint conversion charts.
Please like Scale World's Facebook page.
My Facebook page.
User avatar
T3hGuppy
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
Posts: 3467
Joined: Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:20 pm
Location: Bournemouth, UK
Contact:
Great Britain

Re: Armourfast SU-85 Diorama

Post by T3hGuppy »

PhildaFish wrote:Added two bits of deadfall, bought from my LMS; it looked really lifelike in the packaging and seemed a bargain at £4.99 but when I got it home I realised I'd just spent a fiver on some dead twigs. No wonder it looked lifelike! Also added some lichen around the trees to make a hedge-row.
Image
Lol well they do look life like :tongue:

Great base dude.
On the bench

Too much to list. !!


Youtube channel:https://www.youtube.com/user/bnealuk
User avatar
PhildaFish
Sergeant Major of the Army
Sergeant Major of the Army
Posts: 1087
Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 7:08 pm
Location: Somerset, England
Contact:
Great Britain

Re: Armourfast SU-85 Diorama

Post by PhildaFish »

More paint on the latest bits of tissue paper and the background is done. Until I stare at any one piece too long and try to make it better. Figure painting next to try and break my mental block over painting people. Odd as I used to paint whole Warhammer armies 20 years ago and loved it.
Image
Please visit my website
Image
For instructions, historical paint charts & paint conversion charts.
Please like Scale World's Facebook page.
My Facebook page.
User avatar
PhildaFish
Sergeant Major of the Army
Sergeant Major of the Army
Posts: 1087
Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 7:08 pm
Location: Somerset, England
Contact:
Great Britain

Re: Armourfast SU-85 Diorama

Post by PhildaFish »

Very true, Guppy - I got exactly what I paid for! Thanks for the kind comments, mate.
Please visit my website
Image
For instructions, historical paint charts & paint conversion charts.
Please like Scale World's Facebook page.
My Facebook page.
User avatar
DC87
Chief Warrant Officer 2
Chief Warrant Officer 2
Posts: 1799
Joined: Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:16 pm
Location: Exeter, Devon, UK
England

Re: Armourfast SU-85 Diorama

Post by DC87 »

Really nice autumn feel to the base, this is going to look great with the SU added. Are you finished with the electronics or are you maybe adding some street lamps or something to enhance the dio when shown in the dark?
Dan C

Filling the workbench with:
Sopwith Snipe late post war
WW1 RFC SE5a

WW1-1/32 Snipe
Workbench gets full with models being built - Buys another workbench!

Image
User avatar
PhildaFish
Sergeant Major of the Army
Sergeant Major of the Army
Posts: 1087
Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 7:08 pm
Location: Somerset, England
Contact:
Great Britain

Re: Armourfast SU-85 Diorama

Post by PhildaFish »

DC87 wrote:Really nice autumn feel to the base, this is going to look great with the SU added. Are you finished with the electronics or are you maybe adding some street lamps or something to enhance the dio when shown in the dark?
Good point... Street lights are out as it's supposed to be out in the countryside and the lights would be blacked out anyway but something is needed... Perhaps this dio shouldn't be seen in daylight but lit on it's own. An aircraft with searchlights? More fires? You've got me thinking now, mate and I've only got a couple of weeks to finish it as I want it done before I head off to spend August with my parents. I fly out on the 30th of July so that's my deadline day. Any suggestions from anyone? Also I still haven't decided on where to put the fatal damage on the SU-85 so any suggestions on that too to make this a real 'group' build!
Please visit my website
Image
For instructions, historical paint charts & paint conversion charts.
Please like Scale World's Facebook page.
My Facebook page.
User avatar
Nige201980
Captain
Captain
Posts: 4095
Joined: Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:30 am
Location: Doncaster South Yorkshire UK
Contact:

Re: Armourfast SU-85 Diorama

Post by Nige201980 »

Great diaroma mate never be able to do anything like that.
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCy-TGcs5u_ZXSZ9kObNfsPg


On the go at the Mo

Quite a few :banana:
User avatar
DC87
Chief Warrant Officer 2
Chief Warrant Officer 2
Posts: 1799
Joined: Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:16 pm
Location: Exeter, Devon, UK
England

Re: Armourfast SU-85 Diorama

Post by DC87 »

Sorry to make you :scratch:: ! Modelling the fatal damage on top representing a bomb/ rocket strike would be my two cents as you could then have lights from an aircraft/ rocket flashes and the craters you have already modeled could be misses. Don't know if the Germans used flares to light up and direct bombing runs like the British did but you could model something like that. :think: :)
Dan C

Filling the workbench with:
Sopwith Snipe late post war
WW1 RFC SE5a

WW1-1/32 Snipe
Workbench gets full with models being built - Buys another workbench!

Image
User avatar
PhildaFish
Sergeant Major of the Army
Sergeant Major of the Army
Posts: 1087
Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 7:08 pm
Location: Somerset, England
Contact:
Great Britain

Re: Armourfast SU-85 Diorama

Post by PhildaFish »

Good ideas mate, I like the parachute flare idea but can't think how to have it hanging above the dio without it looking like a bulb on a stick. How about that Vallejo Water Effects Transparent Water stuff? I wonder if I try and sculpt that into flame looking things with a flickering bulb or two moulded into the base of the flame? Would that look like flames? I could sculpt it around the side of the SU-85, around the spare diesel fuel drums as if one had been punctured with a tracer bullet... Would the bulb illuminate the Vallejo Water or would it look like a bulb in a blob of dried glue? Oh! Now there's a thought, I wonder if I could do the same thing with PVA glue? That Vallejo stuff's expensive if it turns out not to work...
Please visit my website
Image
For instructions, historical paint charts & paint conversion charts.
Please like Scale World's Facebook page.
My Facebook page.
User avatar
DC87
Chief Warrant Officer 2
Chief Warrant Officer 2
Posts: 1799
Joined: Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:16 pm
Location: Exeter, Devon, UK
England

Re: Armourfast SU-85 Diorama

Post by DC87 »

Using PVA glue should work if you water it down and apply it in several coats over some sort of template. Otherwise i'm sure there are others ways that don't involve specific water effect materials.
Dan C

Filling the workbench with:
Sopwith Snipe late post war
WW1 RFC SE5a

WW1-1/32 Snipe
Workbench gets full with models being built - Buys another workbench!

Image
User avatar
PhildaFish
Sergeant Major of the Army
Sergeant Major of the Army
Posts: 1087
Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 7:08 pm
Location: Somerset, England
Contact:
Great Britain

Re: Armourfast SU-85 Diorama

Post by PhildaFish »

DC87 wrote:Using PVA glue should work if you water it down and apply it in several coats over some sort of template. Otherwise i'm sure there are others ways that don't involve specific water effect materials.
Yes! I'm thinking that the more layers the more points that will reflect and refract the LED bulb beneath. I think a test may be in order here...
Please visit my website
Image
For instructions, historical paint charts & paint conversion charts.
Please like Scale World's Facebook page.
My Facebook page.
User avatar
PhildaFish
Sergeant Major of the Army
Sergeant Major of the Army
Posts: 1087
Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 7:08 pm
Location: Somerset, England
Contact:
Great Britain

Re: Armourfast SU-85 Diorama

Post by PhildaFish »

First test result = complete failure! Watered it down so much to flow into the nooks and crannies of the hastily made Blu-tack mould that it failed to set overnight.

Second test = Tried it again with slightly less water and left it on the windowsill in direct sunshine. I wonder if the Blu-tack has something to do with it not setting?
Please visit my website
Image
For instructions, historical paint charts & paint conversion charts.
Please like Scale World's Facebook page.
My Facebook page.
User avatar
DC87
Chief Warrant Officer 2
Chief Warrant Officer 2
Posts: 1799
Joined: Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:16 pm
Location: Exeter, Devon, UK
England

Re: Armourfast SU-85 Diorama

Post by DC87 »

PhildaFish wrote:I wonder if the Blu-tack has something to do with it not setting?
I would imagine so as Blu-tack is squidgy and absorbent, try using the top of a beer bottle or some card.
Dan C

Filling the workbench with:
Sopwith Snipe late post war
WW1 RFC SE5a

WW1-1/32 Snipe
Workbench gets full with models being built - Buys another workbench!

Image
User avatar
PhildaFish
Sergeant Major of the Army
Sergeant Major of the Army
Posts: 1087
Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 7:08 pm
Location: Somerset, England
Contact:
Great Britain

Re: Armourfast SU-85 Diorama

Post by PhildaFish »

Second test is not looking good. The wife also said that it wouldn't set in Blu-tack - she's an SEN in a primary school and knows a lot more about PVA glue than I.

Third test is in the folds of a plastic cloak from my son's toy box, possibly Darth Vader's. I haven't used any water this time.
Please visit my website
Image
For instructions, historical paint charts & paint conversion charts.
Please like Scale World's Facebook page.
My Facebook page.
User avatar
Lee
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 7322
Joined: Thu May 23, 2013 4:38 pm
Location: Lincolnshire
Contact:
Great Britain

Re: Armourfast SU-85 Diorama

Post by Lee »

Some excellent work so far Phil! You really have been filling yer boots mate.... :D

As for the parachute flare, which would look awesome, how about a thin piece of metal wire (i.e. coat hanger or thinner) with a bend in coming from rear of base with the parachute on the end? Not sure if I've explained it right :wtf:

:D
Where does all the bloody time go.....?

Owner of Ultimate Modelling Products
User avatar
chief5437
Major
Major
Posts: 4810
Joined: Fri May 31, 2013 1:25 pm
Location: England
England

Re: Armourfast SU-85 Diorama

Post by chief5437 »

You've put so much work into this, I hope you manage to get it done before you fly. Some really cool ideas being used. Keep up the hard work!
Chief
User avatar
PhildaFish
Sergeant Major of the Army
Sergeant Major of the Army
Posts: 1087
Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 7:08 pm
Location: Somerset, England
Contact:
Great Britain

Re: Armourfast SU-85 Diorama

Post by PhildaFish »

Thanks for the encouragement guys, I really appreciate it. I still love the idea of a parachute flare but after spending a couple of hours last night trying and failing to find an on-line store that sells all the electronic bits and pieces that I'd need I've pretty much given up on it for now. I found lots of different stores but none that sell all the bits and I can't afford to pay postage for each piece individually. So, while I try and decide which way to go with this dio, here's some progress photos to bring you all up to speed. This shot is just me trying to decide whether or not to 'people' this build,
Image
The answer is yes as the base is just too big not to and it may help me with my mental block on painting people.
Please visit my website
Image
For instructions, historical paint charts & paint conversion charts.
Please like Scale World's Facebook page.
My Facebook page.
User avatar
PhildaFish
Sergeant Major of the Army
Sergeant Major of the Army
Posts: 1087
Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 7:08 pm
Location: Somerset, England
Contact:
Great Britain

Re: Armourfast SU-85 Diorama

Post by PhildaFish »

Still waiting for the metal barrel to arrive but have pushed on with the rest of the build and I'm weathering as I go using a few techniques that I've never done before. Firstly I've made a small amount of a darker green by mixing the original Humbrol 30 with a little GW CC Black Wash to use around bolts and on the edges as you can see here:
Image
Please visit my website
Image
For instructions, historical paint charts & paint conversion charts.
Please like Scale World's Facebook page.
My Facebook page.
User avatar
PhildaFish
Sergeant Major of the Army
Sergeant Major of the Army
Posts: 1087
Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 7:08 pm
Location: Somerset, England
Contact:
Great Britain

Re: Armourfast SU-85 Diorama

Post by PhildaFish »

And then I did the opposite by mixing a little Humbrol 30 with some Humbrol 34 Matt White and a little water and painted it on the middle of the panels and any areas that would be more exposed to sunlight and thus fade more. I'm sorry I can't be more specific with the mix ratios but I was making it up as I went and not keeping track.
Image
Please visit my website
Image
For instructions, historical paint charts & paint conversion charts.
Please like Scale World's Facebook page.
My Facebook page.
User avatar
PhildaFish
Sergeant Major of the Army
Sergeant Major of the Army
Posts: 1087
Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 7:08 pm
Location: Somerset, England
Contact:
Great Britain

Re: Armourfast SU-85 Diorama

Post by PhildaFish »

Next I added a little more white to the mix and faded a little more as can be seen in this shot:
Image
The camera flash isn't very flattering but it does highlight exactly what I've done. Like I said, I've never tried this before and have only ever seen it done with an airbrush but I like the effect and will definitely use it again.
Please visit my website
Image
For instructions, historical paint charts & paint conversion charts.
Please like Scale World's Facebook page.
My Facebook page.
User avatar
PhildaFish
Sergeant Major of the Army
Sergeant Major of the Army
Posts: 1087
Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 7:08 pm
Location: Somerset, England
Contact:
Great Britain

Re: Armourfast SU-85 Diorama

Post by PhildaFish »

Here it is with the rest of the build complete except for the gun.
Image
Please visit my website
Image
For instructions, historical paint charts & paint conversion charts.
Please like Scale World's Facebook page.
My Facebook page.
User avatar
Lee
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 7322
Joined: Thu May 23, 2013 4:38 pm
Location: Lincolnshire
Contact:
Great Britain

Re: Armourfast SU-85 Diorama

Post by Lee »

Excellent work Phil :th:
Where does all the bloody time go.....?

Owner of Ultimate Modelling Products
User avatar
Nige201980
Captain
Captain
Posts: 4095
Joined: Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:30 am
Location: Doncaster South Yorkshire UK
Contact:

Re: Armourfast SU-85 Diorama

Post by Nige201980 »

Looks great Phil
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCy-TGcs5u_ZXSZ9kObNfsPg


On the go at the Mo

Quite a few :banana:
User avatar
Bagpiper
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Posts: 755
Joined: Mon May 27, 2013 6:12 am
Location: St. Louis. MO. USA
Contact:
United States of America

Re: Armourfast SU-85 Diorama

Post by Bagpiper »

Nice update Phil. Looking good mate

Cheers
Jim
User avatar
T3hGuppy
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
Posts: 3467
Joined: Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:20 pm
Location: Bournemouth, UK
Contact:
Great Britain

Re: Armourfast SU-85 Diorama

Post by T3hGuppy »

Nice paint work

Have you decided on the killing shot yet?
On the bench

Too much to list. !!


Youtube channel:https://www.youtube.com/user/bnealuk
User avatar
Coen
General
General
Posts: 10136
Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:04 am
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada
Contact:
Canada

Re: Armourfast SU-85 Diorama

Post by Coen »

I was wondering that myself, looks like a few hits from a ground attack aircraft along the left side of the upper hull.
User avatar
PhildaFish
Sergeant Major of the Army
Sergeant Major of the Army
Posts: 1087
Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 7:08 pm
Location: Somerset, England
Contact:
Great Britain

Re: Armourfast SU-85 Diorama

Post by PhildaFish »

Thank you very much guys! Haven't decided on the killing shot yet, there is a line of hits along the side but just denting not penetrating. I'm undecided on whether to do a lot more dents and dings or just one bigger hole... Can't find any photos of a SU-85 with a fatal wound so not sure where to put it... I'm not indecisive, I just can't make my mind up! :wtf:
Please visit my website
Image
For instructions, historical paint charts & paint conversion charts.
Please like Scale World's Facebook page.
My Facebook page.
User avatar
Coen
General
General
Posts: 10136
Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:04 am
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada
Contact:
Canada

Re: Armourfast SU-85 Diorama

Post by Coen »

These aren't SU-85s but the are examples of penetrations of armour plate.
If that helps.


Image

Image

Image

Image
User avatar
PhildaFish
Sergeant Major of the Army
Sergeant Major of the Army
Posts: 1087
Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 7:08 pm
Location: Somerset, England
Contact:
Great Britain

Re: Armourfast SU-85 Diorama

Post by PhildaFish »

Fantastic! A great help, Coen, thank you!
Please visit my website
Image
For instructions, historical paint charts & paint conversion charts.
Please like Scale World's Facebook page.
My Facebook page.
User avatar
hansolo
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer
Posts: 1524
Joined: Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:36 pm
Location: Amsterdam
Contact:
Netherlands

Re: Armourfast SU-85 Diorama

Post by hansolo »

Nice work on the panzer, Phil.
Starting to look really good.
I did some 1/72 scale myself and I know the smaller the harder! :thumb1:

cheers
Cheers
Hansolo

May the sprue be with you. :th:
User avatar
PhildaFish
Sergeant Major of the Army
Sergeant Major of the Army
Posts: 1087
Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 7:08 pm
Location: Somerset, England
Contact:
Great Britain

Re: Armourfast SU-85 Diorama

Post by PhildaFish »

Cheers Han! I haven't done anything bigger than 1/72 yet, it may be the smaller the harder but it is also the smaller the cheaper!!! :D
Please visit my website
Image
For instructions, historical paint charts & paint conversion charts.
Please like Scale World's Facebook page.
My Facebook page.
User avatar
hansolo
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer
Posts: 1524
Joined: Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:36 pm
Location: Amsterdam
Contact:
Netherlands

Re: Armourfast SU-85 Diorama

Post by hansolo »

PhildaFish wrote:Cheers Han! I haven't done anything bigger than 1/72 yet, it may be the smaller the harder but it is also the smaller the cheaper!!! :D
You got that right! :thumb1:
Cheers
Hansolo

May the sprue be with you. :th:
User avatar
Coen
General
General
Posts: 10136
Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:04 am
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada
Contact:
Canada

Re: Armourfast SU-85 Diorama

Post by Coen »

Considering how much time, creativity, and energy you've put into this build Phil, I'd hate to see what would happen if you were let loose on a 1/16th Tiger I.
:th: :clap:
User avatar
PhildaFish
Sergeant Major of the Army
Sergeant Major of the Army
Posts: 1087
Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 7:08 pm
Location: Somerset, England
Contact:
Great Britain

Re: Armourfast SU-85 Diorama

Post by PhildaFish »

Coen wrote:Considering how much time, creativity, and energy you've put into this build Phil, I'd hate to see what would happen if you were let loose on a 1/16th Tiger I.
:th: :clap:
Thanks Coen! I think if that were to happen I'd spend weeks detailing about 3 square inches!!! :rofl:
Please visit my website
Image
For instructions, historical paint charts & paint conversion charts.
Please like Scale World's Facebook page.
My Facebook page.
User avatar
PhildaFish
Sergeant Major of the Army
Sergeant Major of the Army
Posts: 1087
Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 7:08 pm
Location: Somerset, England
Contact:
Great Britain

Re: Armourfast SU-85 Diorama

Post by PhildaFish »

Here is a picture of a German Paratrooper taken from the book "Osprey Warrior 38 - Fallschirmjager German Paratrooper 1935-45" that I borrowed from the wonderful reference library we have here on ISM (check it out here!) So - painting people block begone! This is what I'm going to try and recreate, several times over, and straight away I find I don't have the right shades of paint...
Image
This is the test subject, the rest will all be painted at the same time, but I need some honest criticism here guys: is this close enough to be recognized as a Fallschirmjager? I'm not sure I like the cream colour on the tunic, perhaps a grey would be better?
Image
Image
Please visit my website
Image
For instructions, historical paint charts & paint conversion charts.
Please like Scale World's Facebook page.
My Facebook page.
User avatar
DC87
Chief Warrant Officer 2
Chief Warrant Officer 2
Posts: 1799
Joined: Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:16 pm
Location: Exeter, Devon, UK
England

Re: Armourfast SU-85 Diorama

Post by DC87 »

Honestly looks spot on to me, if you have any wash paints you could go over the tunic with a dark wash to dull it down a bit. Otherwise use really watered down paint.
Dan C

Filling the workbench with:
Sopwith Snipe late post war
WW1 RFC SE5a

WW1-1/32 Snipe
Workbench gets full with models being built - Buys another workbench!

Image
User avatar
Coen
General
General
Posts: 10136
Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:04 am
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada
Contact:
Canada

Re: Armourfast SU-85 Diorama

Post by Coen »

I would maybe add a bit more of the greens and browns, more like what you have his lower leg, but the tan colour maybe in longer strips.
I think that the tan colour is fine Phil, there looks like there's just a tad too much showing.
German camo is really hard at any scale dude.
I hate the stuff... but wow is it ever striking.
User avatar
T3hGuppy
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
Posts: 3467
Joined: Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:20 pm
Location: Bournemouth, UK
Contact:
Great Britain

Re: Armourfast SU-85 Diorama

Post by T3hGuppy »

Yeah I agree a wash would set it all off nicely

Great work dude.
On the bench

Too much to list. !!


Youtube channel:https://www.youtube.com/user/bnealuk
User avatar
PhildaFish
Sergeant Major of the Army
Sergeant Major of the Army
Posts: 1087
Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 7:08 pm
Location: Somerset, England
Contact:
Great Britain

Re: Armourfast SU-85 Diorama

Post by PhildaFish »

Thanks for the honest responses fellas, I know you're all great guys and it's hard to give criticism and not to say nice things all the time; I appreciate it. I was torn between a wash or a weathering powder but I'll take your advice and go with the wash.
Please visit my website
Image
For instructions, historical paint charts & paint conversion charts.
Please like Scale World's Facebook page.
My Facebook page.
Post Reply

Return to “Builds”