Page 4 of 5

Re: Stokesy's Tiger 1 (Early) Production

Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:43 pm
by Stokesy44
Tomcat64 wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:26 am So no railway wagon diorama then... :(

Great work on the pioneer tools and other assorted gribblie though, that is really starting to come to life.
Sadly no re the railway diorama, one tries to know one's limitations.

I was pleased with the tools and bits and bobs, thanks. Only detail painting left now is to paint the exhausts and the inside of their shrouds with matt black. That will then provide a good base for the rust pigments and some dry brushing.

Had a wheelie good session this morning - that joke is going to run and run...... :lol:

I call this my Game of Thrones shot - heads on pikes etc.

Image

Black primer (Ultimate), all good.

Image

Up next will be the base colour then a white filter to keep the yellow a nice gelb, then the green camo and finally the rims. On the hull, the next thing is decals then a matt varnish (for the tracks too).
:cheers2:

Re: Stokesy's Tiger 1 (Early) Production

Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:56 pm
by TheNordus
Looking good. I should build one of these for myself to paint wheels on.
By the way, I found more about the turret Machine Gun plug: They were put on command tigers as those didn't have co-axial machine guns.

Re: Stokesy's Tiger 1 (Early) Production

Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:23 pm
by Quax
perhaps you could re record the old Burt Bacharach song from the 60's "16 wheels on my panzerkampfwagen and I'm still rollin along..."? :lol: :lol:

Paul

Re: Stokesy's Tiger 1 (Early) Production

Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:31 pm
by Stokesy44
Quax wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:23 pm perhaps you could re record the old Burt Bacharach song from the 60's "16 wheels on my panzerkampfwagen and I'm still rollin along..."? :lol: :lol:

Paul
I like your style 8-)

Rollin, rollin, off down to Kursk I'm strollin...... :tongue:

Re: Stokesy's Tiger 1 (Early) Production

Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:37 pm
by Stokesy44
TheNordus wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:56 pm Looking good. I should build one of these for myself to paint wheels on.
By the way, I found more about the turret Machine Gun plug: They were put on command tigers as those didn't have co-axial machine guns.
This is why I said I rely on the instructions when I'm building armour. It is a command Tiger so having the co-ax plugged up was right.

Re: Stokesy's Tiger 1 (Early) Production

Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:16 pm
by TheNordus
Stokesy44 wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:37 pm
TheNordus wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:56 pm Looking good. I should build one of these for myself to paint wheels on.
By the way, I found more about the turret Machine Gun plug: They were put on command tigers as those didn't have co-axial machine guns.
This is why I said I rely on the instructions when I'm building armour. It is a command Tiger so having the co-ax plugged up was right.
I'm sorry for opening my cake hole, but if it's any consolation most Tiger S04s I have seen don't have that plug.

Re: Stokesy's Tiger 1 (Early) Production

Posted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:05 am
by Stokesy44
I love Tamiya paints. They spray beautifully and I don't think I've ever had any tip dry issue with them. Easy to mix, never had a problem with anything funky happening once the paint is on the kit and masking is a dream. Lovely stuff.

Only a small update this morning, short but sweet session on the wheels last night.

Image

Not sure if I'll get anything else done today. I know there's still a way to go but my mind is already thinking about what's up next. I may paint Tigger's big brother or I may crack open an aircraft as practice ahead of May 1st and the Bomber SIG. Its a tough call when both options look enticing! ;)

Re: Stokesy's Tiger 1 (Early) Production

Posted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:58 pm
by DrSprue
Stokesy44 wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:05 am I love Tamiya paints. They spray beautifully and I don't think I've ever had any tip dry issue with them. Easy to mix, never had a problem with anything funky happening once the paint is on the kit and masking is a dream. Lovely stuff.

Only a small update this morning, short but sweet session on the wheels last night.

Image

Not sure if I'll get anything else done today. I know there's still a way to go but my mind is already thinking about what's up next. I may paint Tigger's big brother or I may crack open an aircraft as practice ahead of May 1st and the Bomber SIG. Its a tough call when both options look enticing! ;)
Wow those wheels look really nice Stokesy, do you mix thinner with the Tamiya paints you use or just spray straight out? They do look good! :thumb2:

Re: Stokesy's Tiger 1 (Early) Production

Posted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:00 pm
by TheNordus
Good job, I tend to always forget to camouflage paint my wheels before I put them on.

Re: Stokesy's Tiger 1 (Early) Production

Posted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:19 pm
by Stokesy44
DrSprue wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:58 pm
Stokesy44 wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:05 am I love Tamiya paints. They spray beautifully and I don't think I've ever had any tip dry issue with them. Easy to mix, never had a problem with anything funky happening once the paint is on the kit and masking is a dream. Lovely stuff.

Only a small update this morning, short but sweet session on the wheels last night.

Image

Not sure if I'll get anything else done today. I know there's still a way to go but my mind is already thinking about what's up next. I may paint Tigger's big brother or I may crack open an aircraft as practice ahead of May 1st and the Bomber SIG. Its a tough call when both options look enticing! ;)
Wow those wheels look really nice Stokesy, do you mix thinner with the Tamiya paints you use or just spray straight out? They do look good! :thumb2:
Thanks Dr.

I thin Tamiya paints roughly 1:1, I don’t measure it out, I judge it to be about right when it’s the consistency of milk, ie opaque in colour and just thicker than water.

Re: Stokesy's Tiger 1 (Early) Production

Posted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:23 pm
by Stokesy44
TheNordus wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:00 pm Good job, I tend to always forget to camouflage paint my wheels before I put them on.
:th:

Re: Stokesy's Tiger 1 (Early) Production

Posted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:12 pm
by Tomcat64
Nice looking set of wheels there dude!

Re: Stokesy's Tiger 1 (Early) Production

Posted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:47 pm
by Stokesy44
Tomcat64 wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:12 pm Nice looking set of wheels there dude!
Cheers Dude. They're all rimmed up now too :th:

Image

Then it was on to the decals. Thankfully I didn't have to gloss before decaling. The paintwork in the areas where the decals went was smooth enough that glossing wasn't needed. The same cannot be said for other parts of the tank :bash:

Image

Image

Image

I call the next pic my Saving Private Ryan shot because it mirrors a shot in the film when the Tiger is manoeuvring down the narrow street just before the battle begins - I am such a Nerd! :tongue:

Image

I was a bit concerned about the kill marks decal on the cannon but it went on and gripped like a dream.

Image

Next up is a matt varnish then all the arty stuff starts.
:cheers2:

Re: Stokesy's Tiger 1 (Early) Production

Posted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:53 pm
by DrSprue
Wow thats really looking very detailed. :thumb2:

Re: Stokesy's Tiger 1 (Early) Production

Posted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:10 am
by digger303
:th: :th: :th: :th: :bow:: :cheers2:

Re: Stokesy's Tiger 1 (Early) Production

Posted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:37 am
by Tomcat64
Very tidy looking build mate - looking forward to how you dirty it all up now :clap:

Re: Stokesy's Tiger 1 (Early) Production

Posted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:28 am
by Quax
definitely looks a beauty Stokesy,you're getting a bit good at this! :bow:: :bow::

Paul

Re: Stokesy's Tiger 1 (Early) Production

Posted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:17 pm
by Stokesy44
DrSprue wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:53 pm Wow thats really looking very detailed. :thumb2:
digger303 wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:10 am :th: :th: :th: :th: :bow:: :cheers2:
Tomcat64 wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:37 am Very tidy looking build mate - looking forward to how you dirty it all up now :clap:
Quax wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:28 am definitely looks a beauty Stokesy, you're getting a bit good at this! :bow:: :bow::
Paul
Thanks for all the kind comments Gents.

During the weathering process, my aim now is to try to maintain the vibrancy of the paintwork while making it look like the brute of iron that it should be. Once I've matt varnished over the decals, I'll do the dot filter work using greens, whites and tans - no yellows, then its on to chipping, rusting, washes and pigments.
:cheers2:

Re: Stokesy's Tiger 1 (Early) Production

Posted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:38 pm
by Stokesy44
Another short session today as there's other stuff to do.

I matted over the decals then put the wheels on. For a bit of character I left the front road wheel off on both sides. This will give me a chance to weather the inner wheels at the front and show the paint wear caused by the guide horns.

I'm still chuckling about how I didn't spot the error with the wheels earlier in the process. The setup looks much better now, much more in line with how an early Tiger should look.

Image

Image

Image

:cheers2:

Re: Stokesy's Tiger 1 (Early) Production

Posted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:58 am
by Stokesy44
Dot filter time.

These are general filters designed to show fading and exposure. No individual streaks for rust etc. I'm just trying to give the tank that outside in the elements look.

Low odour turpenoid, a pinpoint brush for the dots and a flat head for the washing down. Colours were white, green and yellow ochre (buff?).

Image

On with the acne

Image

Image

The effect is quite subtle and I may have to do the wheels again. Not sure yet about the wheels, depends on how heavily I plan to mud them up. The jury is still out - meaning I haven't made up my mind and haven't planned ahead. :crazy:

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

So that was yesterday evening's efforts. Had a bit of a drama this morning. Spot the gap on the end?

Image

Walked too close to Fighter Town (top of book case) on my way to the kitchen and my Seafire's undercarriage collapsed in protest. :bash:

Image

Using some of the wire left over from Tigger's tracks I made a pin about 5mm in length. I then drilled out 0.5mm holes in the leg and connection point on the underside of the wing and restored her dignity.

Image

Everything's back as it should be - phew!

Image
:cheers2:

Re: Stokesy's Tiger 1 (Early) Production

Posted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:33 pm
by DrSprue
cool repair Stokesy! Cool detail on the Tiger too! :thumb2:

Re: Stokesy's Tiger 1 (Early) Production

Posted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:21 pm
by Stokesy44
DrSprue wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:33 pm cool repair Stokesy! Cool detail on the Tiger too! :thumb2:
Thanks mate. Good to see the Spit living up to its reputation - look at it funny and it'll fall over! :tongue:

Re: Stokesy's Tiger 1 (Early) Production

Posted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:41 pm
by Stokesy44
Got the chipping done this afternoon. Nothing fancy, just Vallejo black, applied with a small brush. Impact chips and rust streaks are still to be done as I plan to drill the impact points for those. Today was just about scuffing and chipping.

Image

Image

In a few instances I need to paint over the chips I made, like on the filter box in this pic, the chips are too obvious and formulaic.

Image

Mostly though, I'm happy with the results. :th:

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Next up will be impact chipping and rusting (including the spare tracks), then a gloss and a wash then pigments? :crazy:

All good fun
:cheers2:

Re: Stokesy's Tiger 1 (Early) Production

Posted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:37 pm
by TheNordus
I somehow missed your update on the dot filter, it looks rather nice. Maybe a little harsh? Maybe? I don't know, it seems to be expertly put on. I think further weathering steps will mix it in nicely. I love the subtle chips you did though! Really great!

Re: Stokesy's Tiger 1 (Early) Production

Posted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:59 pm
by ElCapitan
Good updates. I like dot filters, they are subtle but so effective!

Nice save on the sea fire, lucky it was just a leg!

Re: Stokesy's Tiger 1 (Early) Production

Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:59 am
by Stokesy44
ElCapitan wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:59 pm Good updates. I like dot filters, they are subtle but so effective!

Nice save on the sea fire, lucky it was just a leg!
I'd have to say dot filters are probably my favourite 'new' process since coming back to the hobby. I love the application process (because I don't have to use my airbrush) and the challenge of working the paint to the point where I feel its just right, neither too little or too much. Its great on German vehicles but where I really like the process is on Allied stuff with single colour schemes. It turns those deathly dull greens and olive drabs into something rather special.

As for the Seafire prang, you're right. I coped with a simple belly flop but had it fallen off the book case I think it would have been going away on a lorry to the repair depot! :lol:

Re: Stokesy's Tiger 1 (Early) Production

Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:54 pm
by Stokesy44
The tracks have been silently mocking me for the best part of a fortnight so I put them out of their misery today.

Using AK's rust set I applied Light Rust crossways into all the recesses of the tracks, applying it like a wash / foam. Once I had done that I then applied Shadow Rust length-wise to darken down the proud surfaces.

I tried to keep the Light Rust coverage patchy as I didn't want it to look uniform, hopefully more natural and indiscriminate. I may apply an even darker shade of rust length-wise on the raised detail as I think it will look better under an aluminium dry-brush which is yet to come.

Image

Image

Image

Image

The inner surfaces only received Light Rust which was applied length-wise. Then, after an initial application, almost dry-brushed on to keep it looking metallic.

Image
,
Image

I did the spare tracks too. These will receive additional highlights and dry-brushing later on.

Image

Image

:cheers2:

Re: Stokesy's Tiger 1 (Early) Production

Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:29 pm
by TheNordus
I really love the tone you got on those tracks. Is the rust colour just regular acrylic?

Re: Stokesy's Tiger 1 (Early) Production

Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:36 pm
by Stokesy44
TheNordus wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:29 pm I really love the tone you got on those tracks. Is the rust colour just regular acrylic?
Yep, they're from AK's rust set. :th:

Re: Stokesy's Tiger 1 (Early) Production

Posted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:37 am
by Tomcat64
Very nice work on the weathering mate - love the subtlety of what you're achieving with the various stages, and the tracks definitely look the business.

Oh and nice save on the wayward Seafire too! :clap:

Re: Stokesy's Tiger 1 (Early) Production

Posted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:03 am
by Stokesy44
Tomcat64 wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:37 am Very nice work on the weathering mate - love the subtlety of what you're achieving with the various stages, and the tracks definitely look the business.

Oh and nice save on the wayward Seafire too! :clap:
Thanks mate, I reckon I'll gloss in prep for a Ultimate wash today but I'm undecided about doing the rust work before or after. I think I'll lay the ground work with impact strikes and some streaks then top it off after the gloss and wash. :crazy:

Re: Stokesy's Tiger 1 (Early) Production

Posted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:17 am
by Stokesy44
Hey and I just got promoted to 1st Lt!

Image

Re: Stokesy's Tiger 1 (Early) Production

Posted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:39 am
by Tomcat64
Stokesy44 wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:17 am Hey and I just got promoted to 1st Lt!
Nicely done - we will treat you with the respect and dignity applicable to your rank :clap:
Image

Re: Stokesy's Tiger 1 (Early) Production

Posted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:15 am
by demarcation
Looks brillant mate, superb work on the tracks!! :th: :th:

Re: Stokesy's Tiger 1 (Early) Production

Posted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:45 pm
by Stokesy44
demarcation wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:15 am Looks brillant mate, superb work on the tracks!! :th: :th:
Thanks mate. Its great to see all the cast detail still showing through under what is now 3 coats paint. Base primer, track colour primer and now the rust stuff. I know they're not cheap but I'm so glad I bought the Friul Tracks. :th:

Re: Stokesy's Tiger 1 (Early) Production

Posted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:19 pm
by Stokesy44
After thinking long and hard (well, for me anyway) I decided to do the preliminary impacts and rust work BEFORE I gloss and add a wash. My reasoning being I can add specific augments to the rust work after the wash without worrying about spoiling the post wash and wipe finish. Makes sense? :crazy:

Used a drill bit for the impacts and a knife to 'jag' them up a bit. For impacts on the edges I just made a cut with the knife - rocket science it is not!

Image

Image

I painted the impacts with red brown acrylic then black acrylic in the centres. Then it was out with the oils, burnt umber, black and some light brown to mix in and vary the rust colour. Beyond the specific impact points I added rust to attachment points and areas where bare metal might have occurred during the course of combat service life. Guesswork really but hey, its art, not science. :bash:

Image

I'm a modest guy but I have to say I am well pleased with the work where the missing fender would have sat. As I was working on that area I though, yeah, that is looking ok - phew! I was concerned I wouldn't be able to create any kind of effect showing that the fender had been there at some point and the attachments and metal to metal had taken on some rust. It also makes the break in the camo look right now the 'history' is there.

Image

Specific impact on the edge of the turret wall

Image

Contact points and fender attachments

Image

Front plate - this will need some more work, I don't think the rust work really matches the severity of the hit.

Image

Similar here, on the gun mount just above the sights, this will get some oil work right at the end to finish it off.

Image

And finally the back end, wet pigments on the exhausts, oils on the shrouds. I may get the airbrush out to darken and soften the shrouds a bit more but that will be a job for the end of the process if I still think it needs it.

Image

Image

And I still need to paint over those 2 awful 'chips' on the filter box!

I'll probably give it a couple of days before I apply the gloss, I'm busy tomorrow anyway.
:cheers2:

Re: Stokesy's Tiger 1 (Early) Production

Posted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:58 am
by Tomcat64
Nice work on the impact points and associated rust streaks mate.

FWIW I think it works well when you build it up in layers like you've done here because that way you're showing the older impacts that would have dirtied up over time and then you're also free to put a couple of more recent points in with less weathering once you've completed the overall process.

Re: Stokesy's Tiger 1 (Early) Production

Posted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:07 am
by Stokesy44
Tomcat64 wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:58 am Nice work on the impact points and associated rust streaks mate.

FWIW I think it works well when you build it up in layers like you've done here because that way you're showing the older impacts that would have dirtied up over time and then you're also free to put a couple of more recent points in with less weathering once you've completed the overall process.
Thanks mate

I wanted to do as much of the work as possible before I gloss and wash because wet oils and turpenoid dry to a matte finish. Its all about trying finish with a semi-metallic look like I achieved on the Magach, that was a Ultimate wash over aqua gloss.

Image

If I end up with that kind of look I can then apply specific oils into the streaks without changing the overall finish.

Re: Stokesy's Tiger 1 (Early) Production

Posted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:38 pm
by Stokesy44
Had a change of plans today so got some more done.

First up was some detail stuff, paint worn off by the tracks on the sprockets and exposed inner wheel. I also did the idler but forgot to take a pic :crazy:

Image

Image

Then it was out with the aqua gloss, man alive I love this stuff, it covers so beautifully, now my Tigger is all shiny :lol:

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

And the Saving Private Ryan shot to finish :lol:

Image

Wash time tomorrow, almost there now :th:

Re: Stokesy's Tiger 1 (Early) Production

Posted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:04 pm
by OneSmallStep1966
That’s a nice build and paint job you’ve got going on here, well done

Re: Stokesy's Tiger 1 (Early) Production

Posted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:36 pm
by DrSprue
Wow Stokesy, love the metallic look on a few of those parts! :thumb2:

Re: Stokesy's Tiger 1 (Early) Production

Posted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:05 pm
by Stokesy44
DrSprue wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:36 pm Wow Stokesy, love the metallic look on a few of those parts! :thumb2:
OneSmallStep1966 wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:04 pm That’s a nice build and paint job you’ve got going on here, well done
Thanks Guys

Applied the Ultimate Dark Dirt Wash today

Image

One of the advantages of taking WIP pics is you get nice and big images that show up bits you've missed when you're up close and personal with the kit. There's a few places that need some additional clean up but I'll do that at the start of the next session :th:

Wax on, wax off... :lol:

Image

Nice and dirty round the cables, tools, launchers and spots.

Image

The lip where the fenders join the hull is an example of where a little bit more cleaning is needed.

Image

Image

More clean up needed on the filter boxes - and I forgot to clean up those fekkin paint chips (again) :pistols:

Image

Happy with the turret and gun

Image

Image

Rear deck will get specific fuel and lubricant stains with oils

Image

Image

The big question for me now is whether the sheen on the hull and turret is right. I'm leaning towards misting a matte coat on - just to dull it down a fraction. Pigments need to be factored in too.

Told you it was art, not science, didn't I eh! :lol:

Thanks for looking in :th:

Re: Stokesy's Tiger 1 (Early) Production

Posted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:10 pm
by Kevthemodeller
Stokesy44 wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:05 pm The big question for me now is whether the sheen on the hull and turret is right. I'm leaning towards misting a matte coat on - just to dull it down a fraction. Pigments need to be factored in too.
Looking really good mate. :th: I'm with you on matting it down or rather giving it that worn/weathered paint and dusty look.

Re: Stokesy's Tiger 1 (Early) Production

Posted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:14 pm
by Stokesy44
Kevthemodeller wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:10 pm
Stokesy44 wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:05 pm The big question for me now is whether the sheen on the hull and turret is right. I'm leaning towards misting a matte coat on - just to dull it down a fraction. Pigments need to be factored in too.
Looking really good mate. :th: I'm with you on matting it down or rather giving it that worn/weathered paint and dusty look.
Thanks Kev. Its got so many flat surfaces, it really shines when it catches the light. I'll practice the matting on the lower front plate when I apply it, I don't want a fully matt finish, somewhere in between will be just the ticket.

Re: Stokesy's Tiger 1 (Early) Production

Posted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:54 pm
by OneSmallStep1966
I like that look too, used but not knackered.

Re: Stokesy's Tiger 1 (Early) Production

Posted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:26 pm
by Tomcat64
Looks great mate - definitely got the well used look :clap:

Based on the pics I'm with you and Kev and think matting it down a little will add to it as well; like Kev says dust tends to make anything look matte over time.

Re: Stokesy's Tiger 1 (Early) Production

Posted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:31 pm
by DrSprue
That looks amazing, I can smell the grease and oil in front of my monitor!! :clap:

Re: Stokesy's Tiger 1 (Early) Production

Posted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:07 pm
by TheNordus
Bloody hell! I'm going to order a bottle of that Ultimate stuff right now! What did you use to wash it off?

Re: Stokesy's Tiger 1 (Early) Production

Posted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:13 pm
by DrSprue
TheNordus wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:07 pm Bloody hell! I'm going to order a bottle of that Ultimate stuff right now! What did you use to wash it off?
Sorry Nordus, I should have said "I can ALMOST smell the grease......" :lol:

(It does look close tho dosnt it!)

Re: Stokesy's Tiger 1 (Early) Production

Posted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:40 pm
by Stokesy44
OneSmallStep1966 wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:54 pm I like that look too, used but not knackered.
Tomcat64 wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:26 pm Looks great mate - definitely got the well used look :clap:

Based on the pics I'm with you and Kev and think matting it down a little will add to it as well; like Kev says dust tends to make anything look matte over time.
Indeed, I need to finish off the detail stuff and do a bit of clean up, then I'll mist it up with a matte varnish and then add some pigments. Oh and then there's the tracks! :crazy: