Page 5 of 18
Re: Building a new hobby space...oh and a house too
Posted: Mon May 23, 2016 6:13 pm
by Lysus
Oh yeah, guess you tend to have your fingers up in people's faces. If you're like my dentist you can wait until their mouths are full and then tell your tale. Hard to make any objections that way

Re: Building a new hobby space...oh and a house too
Posted: Tue May 24, 2016 11:18 am
by digger303
Lysus wrote:Oh yeah, guess you tend to have your fingers up in people's faces. If you're like my dentist you can wait until their mouths are full and then tell your tale. Hard to make any objections that way

better than being a proctologist .....

Re: Building a new hobby space...oh and a house too
Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:30 pm
by Twokidsnosleep
Boy I have been lacking in photography and updates.
Gratuitous car in front of house shot...sorry it is after work and sun on wrong side for good lighting

Deck doors framed and the painting done

wider shot of back

Insulation in a wall of my workshop...workbench runs along here

That is really it. Hopefully getting stucco and stone on outside and finish off all the insulation work
Re: Building a new hobby space...oh and a house too
Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:09 pm
by AridTalons
I like the design of the house. Very modern.
Re: Building a new hobby space...oh and a house too
Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:30 pm
by Twokidsnosleep
AridTalons wrote:I like the design of the house. Very modern.
Indeed it is, thanks
Kind of a west coast/craftsman blend is what we were after.
Looks dark now with black paper on it, but grey stucco and cherry coloured wood accents in peaks will brighten it up
Re: Building a new hobby space...oh and a house too
Posted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:00 am
by digger303
nice to see some progress.
Any idea when you will have the keys.
Re: Building a new hobby space...oh and a house too
Posted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 2:15 am
by Twokidsnosleep
digger303 wrote:nice to see some progress.
Any idea when you will have the keys.
Every day we move forward two steps and then back one step or worse. Inspector a-hole is going over a window certification letter he approved in November as it has the old address on it and he doesn't like the wording WTF???!!!
Initial finish was end of August before school start, then shifted to early fall
I have held on to if we are in by Halloween with EVERYTHING done, I am happy
The biggest stress is rental lease runs out july1st and goes month to month. Fine if they don't push us out of the rental, sucks big time if they do.
Re: Building a new hobby space...oh and a house too
Posted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:36 am
by digger303
halloween is when ?
quote "The biggest stress us rental lease runs out july1st and goes month yo month. Fine if they don't push us out of the rental, sucks big time if they do."
Offer free dental care as long as the rent lasts......haha
Re: Building a new hobby space...oh and a house too
Posted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:51 am
by digger303
actually kind of like the outside tar paper look
Re: Building a new hobby space...oh and a house too
Posted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:56 am
by Lysus
Definitely would stand out on the block. Might bit drafty, though...
Re: Building a new hobby space...oh and a house too
Posted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 4:48 pm
by Twokidsnosleep
digger303 wrote:actually kind of like the outside tar paper look
My son and I like the black look as well...looks cool with my car, but would be smoking hot in summer
The guy I am renting from IS a dentist

Halloween is October 31st
Re: Building a new hobby space...oh and a house too
Posted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 7:21 am
by Twokidsnosleep
Woah, passed some major milestones this weekend and some big stuff starts next week. The house gets drywall starting Tuesday and it is a huge hurdle to get to and then over and done with. The stucco is supposed to start as well.
I finishing sub floor screws, final tally is seven thousand and change screws driven in
Here is the living room fireplace and insulated walls. All external walls have a plastic wrap done by the pros.
The past two days have been nine hour events insulating walls for sound and preparing wood trim windows for a sealer.
My walls are just stuffed cavities, but you really notice the sound difference and it begins to define the rooms and spaces.
My workshop wall is this
Last push for sound insulation and then tidy up for the drywallers......who will make a heck of a mess
Cya

Re: Building a new hobby space...oh and a house too
Posted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 7:26 am
by Lysus
7000...
Good luck, man, it's almost like a real house now. Think you'll be in by Thanksgiving? Canadian or American, take your pick...
Re: Building a new hobby space...oh and a house too
Posted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 7:33 am
by Twokidsnosleep
Lysus wrote:7000...
Good luck, man, it's almost like a real house now. Think you'll be in by Thanksgiving? Canadian or American, take your pick...
That is probably a pretty realistic goal. I was hoping Halloween, but mid November would be ok, just before December.
My landlord hasn't put their plans into the city yet, so I think we will be ok rental time wise now
It will be very weird to see the place all walled up in three weeks. That REALLY makes it look like a house
Re: Building a new hobby space...oh and a house too
Posted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 2:27 pm
by digger303
looks a treat.
What type of window system do you have and whats it's thermal properties..
I'm a curious cat
cheerrs
Ian

3 ports in and I'm a happy cat as well

Re: Building a new hobby space...oh and a house too
Posted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 4:44 pm
by Twokidsnosleep
digger303 wrote:looks a treat.
What type of window system do you have and whats it's thermal properties..
I'm a curious cat
cheerrs
Ian

3 ports in and I'm a happy cat as well

Windows and exterior doors are a bit of a sore spot as the sellers have both been a-holes...lots of sales not so much else
They are a fiberglass insulated window, details here
http://www.marvin.com/integrity/feature ... fiberglass
I would never buy from these guys again. How can you sell something and have no service and installation tec????
Freaking patio door already is a bugger to close and lock, was just having a tirade about that last night.
The house should be super efficient with all the R value and such. Probably will die from all the trapped toxic fumes from foams and plastics

Re: Building a new hobby space...oh and a house too
Posted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 7:16 pm
by Vleugelmoer
Now that sounds like the insulation equivalent of painting yourself into a corner eh

...
Some mechanical ventilation should prevent that from happening though

. Would be a real shame of putting all the effort in building a house only to croak the moment you move in.
The house is coming along nicely.
Paul
Re: Building a new hobby space...oh and a house too
Posted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 11:53 pm
by Twokidsnosleep
I tell you Paul they want them so tight it isn't funny, even in my mild climate. The code literally changed for a number of insulating items as we were trying to pass inspection...like a moving target.
Less concern is water protection for windows and walls which is a far larger problem here
I am going to have the darn windows and slider door open all the time!!!
Re: Building a new hobby space...oh and a house too
Posted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 11:55 pm
by Twokidsnosleep
After three weeks, the drywall should be done and then it will get interesting designing the shop space
Will be asking for lots of opinions soon

Re: Building a new hobby space...oh and a house too
Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 12:22 am
by digger303
consider the position of your spray booth now and where you want the power points and the extraction vent. It may make it easier.
Re: Building a new hobby space...oh and a house too
Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 2:05 am
by Twokidsnosleep
digger303 wrote:consider the position of your spray booth now and where you want the power points and the extraction vent. It may make it easier.
Done and done.
Made a great row of power outlets all along an L shape where I plan the desk/ bench
I have a " fresh air return" in one corner that will really be the spray and vac vent.
It is too close to an openable window so would not meet code for a spray vent thus it is a fresh air return....b/c we are all so stupid we would leave the window open and all the venting would come back in
Re: Building a new hobby space...oh and a house too
Posted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 4:54 pm
by Twokidsnosleep
I have had two trespasses this past long weekend.
First was Friday night popping the zip ties on the construction gate and entering site..not into house
Second was deck door pried open and entry gained though nothing obvious taken. I called the cops on second one and have secured the door so it can no longer open or slide. I went through all the windows and doors to ensure they are all locked and found a couple not latched on second floor.
It seems I have a game with some jerk who wants to get into my house...might sleep a weekend night there as a deterrent
Re: Building a new hobby space...oh and a house too
Posted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 5:09 pm
by Tajfl
WoW, i didn't know that there is so much crime in Canada you regularly have some problems with uninvited people. Must be a bad feeling when you know that someone has walked through your house

Re: Building a new hobby space...oh and a house too
Posted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 5:21 pm
by Twokidsnosleep
Worse when they have slept a night and shot up drugs in what will be your daughter's bedroom closet
I carry a baseball bat in my car when I go do site visits....and a glove in case a game breaks out

Re: Building a new hobby space...oh and a house too
Posted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 5:38 pm
by Tajfl
Maybe you should buy a taser. Baseball bat can be messy, and you don't wont to clean to much

Re: Building a new hobby space...oh and a house too
Posted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 9:39 pm
by ForbesHutton
Tajfl wrote:WoW, i didn't know that there is so much crime in Canada you regularly have some problems with uninvited people. Must be a bad feeling when you know that someone has walked through your house

Happens all the time. No doors on igloos.....

Re: Building a new hobby space...oh and a house too
Posted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 11:38 am
by digger303
Tajfl wrote:Maybe you should buy a taser. Baseball bat can be messy, and you don't wont to clean to much

People can loose control of their bodily functions with a taser....especially if you have a twitchy trigger finger....

Re: Building a new hobby space...oh and a house too
Posted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 3:56 pm
by Twokidsnosleep
Dry wall delivered into each room yesterday. Workers moaned and groaned about doing it the entire time.
Idiot stucco guy admitted to possibly leaving deck door open when he walked through house so no break in??
Re: Building a new hobby space...oh and a house too
Posted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 5:00 pm
by Lysus
I never judge anyone for griping a bit at work, but just the same...come on. Dry wall is WHAT YOU DO.
40 lashes for stucco guy. That's damned irresponsible.
Re: Building a new hobby space...oh and a house too
Posted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 5:56 pm
by Twokidsnosleep
Hmmm lashes, I like that idea

Re: Building a new hobby space...oh and a house too
Posted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 3:01 am
by Twokidsnosleep
Re: Building a new hobby space...oh and a house too
Posted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 4:51 am
by Jontlw
digger303 wrote:People can loose control of their bodily functions with a taser....especially if you have a twitchy trigger finger....

I'm more of a reader than poster here, but felt I needed to correct this. Everything tightens up when you're tased, you couldn't wet yourself if you tried. That was my one worry before getting zapped. And the taser is prohibited from civilian ownership in Canada. We have some silly laws here.
Re: Building a new hobby space...oh and a house too
Posted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 5:52 am
by digger303
Jontlw wrote:digger303 wrote:People can loose control of their bodily functions with a taser....especially if you have a twitchy trigger finger....

I'm more of a reader than poster here, but felt I needed to correct this. Everything tightens up when you're tased, you couldn't wet yourself if you tried. That was my one worry before getting zapped. And the taser is prohibited from civilian ownership in Canada. We have some silly laws here.
I stand corrected...

... doesn't read as well though..

Re: Building a new hobby space...oh and a house too
Posted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 2:42 am
by kiwigav
The house is coming along nice dude

Re: Building a new hobby space...oh and a house too
Posted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 3:42 am
by Twokidsnosleep
kiwigav wrote:The house is coming along nice dude

Thanks bud, lots happening in her at the moment inside and out
Hoping that keeps up and we get in before the fall
Re: Building a new hobby space...oh and a house too
Posted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:43 am
by ForbesHutton
Jontlw wrote:digger303 wrote:People can loose control of their bodily functions with a taser....especially if you have a twitchy trigger finger....

I'm more of a reader than poster here, but felt I needed to correct this. Everything tightens up when you're tased, you couldn't wet yourself if you tried. That was my one worry before getting zapped. And the taser is prohibited from civilian ownership in Canada. We have some silly laws here.
Cattle Prods are legal. If the local Home Hardware doesn't have them in stock they'll order one for you.....
Re: Building a new hobby space...oh and a house too
Posted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:59 am
by digger303
Re: Building a new hobby space...oh and a house too
Posted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 8:43 am
by Jontlw
ForbesHutton wrote:Cattle Prods are legal. If the local Home Hardware doesn't have them in stock they'll order one for you.....
I asked for one of those instead of a taser and asp baton. They said no.

Re: Building a new hobby space...oh and a house too
Posted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:01 am
by ForbesHutton
Jontlw wrote:ForbesHutton wrote:Cattle Prods are legal. If the local Home Hardware doesn't have them in stock they'll order one for you.....
I asked for one of those instead of a taser and asp baton. They said no.

It's always easier to ask for forgiveness than ask permission......
Re: Building a new hobby space...oh and a house too
Posted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 3:46 pm
by Twokidsnosleep
Ha Ha, that is why I have a second workshop space on the main floor. It will be for painting and such
Stash will probably stay at the office for a while anyways
Wife has some built in display cabinets getting organized into a basement wall as well so will hijack those for my models!!
Re: Building a new hobby space...oh and a house too
Posted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:07 pm
by Lysus
I remember when I was a kid and I started building kits, I asked my dad for a bookcase in the spare room next to mine to store my stuff, my room was getting full (we weren't well off or anything, I just had a small room and it was full of books). I wanted to move my books into the spare room to make room for my airplanes and robots. He said "No, if you add more space for things, you just fill it up whether you need to or not. Learn to work with what you have."
I paused. Then I asked if I could have some space in the garage he had recently converted into a model railroad layout which was at that point in time relatively bare. "Like how you put the cars into the driveway and built the layout in the garage instead of using the basement where you paint?"
We got a new bookcase for the spare room that Saturday.
Re: Building a new hobby space...oh and a house too
Posted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:14 pm
by Twokidsnosleep
Ha Ha, you had a smart mouth way back then!! Good for you
Re: Building a new hobby space...oh and a house too
Posted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:22 pm
by Lysus
It didn't always turn out so rosy for me

Re: Building a new hobby space...oh and a house too
Posted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:29 pm
by Twokidsnosleep
Except maybe rosy on the old behind cheeks
and a soapy mouth, I remember getting a bar of soap in my mouth
Re: Building a new hobby space...oh and a house too
Posted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:31 pm
by Lysus
Re: Building a new hobby space...oh and a house too
Posted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:33 pm
by Twokidsnosleep
hey, fast google fingers

Re: Building a new hobby space...oh and a house too
Posted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:36 pm
by Lysus
I'm totally working, yo.
Re: Building a new hobby space...oh and a house too
Posted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:48 pm
by Twokidsnosleep
ya, me too

Re: Building a new hobby space...oh and a house too
Posted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:52 pm
by Lysus
Re: Building a new hobby space...oh and a house too
Posted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 5:00 pm
by haxorb
This house looks so beautiful! Would love to build my own house later!