Why do you model?

General Modelling discusion that doesn't fit into any of the other sections
User avatar
Nev
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer
Posts: 1582
Joined: Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:22 am
Location: Kent
Great Britain

Re: Why do you model?

Post by Nev »

Don check out the ism YouTube review vids, on airbrushes should be some options in there :thumb2:
On the Bench...
1/35 TAKOM Mark. IV Heavy Battle tank
User avatar
Lysus
Captain
Captain
Posts: 4562
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:37 pm
Location: Seattle, US
United States of America

Re: Why do you model?

Post by Lysus »

I've heard decent things about the TRN1. Trigger brushes seem to come mainly in two flavors: cheap and awful or expensive and glorious. The TRN1 is one of the few that apparently occupies the middle ground. I have a TRN2 that sprays great but I retired it as I hated cleaning the color cup channels out (side mounted). The TRN1 has a nice and tidy toploader cup so it should clean easily like any other Iwata.
Backlog Progress: |||||||||||||||-------|----------|----------| 26/80
On the bench: Hasegawa 1/72 Tatiana's Vanship
Last Completed: Bandai HGUC Geara Zulu // Hasegawa 1/48 J2M3Raiden Prisoner of War
User avatar
digger303
General
General
Posts: 16667
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:01 am
Location: Western Australia
Australia

Re: Why do you model?

Post by digger303 »

DonLang wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:32 am I'm starting again.
Builded my first model in the age of 6 - a model of a Sea Vixen in 1:72.
And builded models for almost 20 years but then I lost interest in it / found a new hobby: Girls)
Now I'm 60 years old, early retired and sitting in a wheelchair, so now I NEED something to do, so why not modeling again.
But I could do some help...
Best /cheapest compressor and best airbrush with a trigger (like the Iwata NEO TRN 1)??
Hope you can help an old fart like me.
Procon boys are very good airbrushes. Some say made by Iwata

https://www.ebay.com.au/p/GSI-Creos-Mis ... 4096.l9055
Listen and appear wise
Image
Image

scalemates stash https://www.scalemates.com/profiles/mat ... ION[]=Kits
Image
kitstarter
Private
Private
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:49 pm

Re: Why do you model?

Post by kitstarter »

First there is the decision of which model to buy.Then read online reviews of the model, purchase it after hunting around the internet for a "bargain", research the history of the chosen subject online or read books, choose a particular colour scheme etc, and eventually start the model and whatever comes after that many many hours later. Which in my case is invariably another unfinished project. It is an enjoyable, harmless, educational and very affordable distraction from the world around us.
User avatar
DRUMS01
Chief Warrant Officer 4
Chief Warrant Officer 4
Posts: 2352
Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2016 1:48 am
Location: Ohio, USA
United States of America

Re: Why do you model?

Post by DRUMS01 »

Like he said, "It is an enjoyable, harmless, educational and very affordable distraction from the world around us".
On the table or recently completed:

1/18 AV8-B Harrier - WIP
1/35 Churchill AVRE with SBG Bridge Diorama - DONE
75mm BMW R75 WW2 motorcycle with rider - DONE
User avatar
digger303
General
General
Posts: 16667
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:01 am
Location: Western Australia
Australia

Re: Why do you model?

Post by digger303 »

DRUMS01 wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:42 am Like he said, "It is an enjoyable, harmless, educational and very affordable distraction from the world around us".
very true, does seem to keep my pockets empty though :(
Listen and appear wise
Image
Image

scalemates stash https://www.scalemates.com/profiles/mat ... ION[]=Kits
Image
DikDolan
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Posts: 200
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2016 11:27 pm
Location: UK
England

Re: Why do you model?

Post by DikDolan »

Aye, there's never ending lists of "must haves" and "I need one of those", not to mention the consumables that we never have enough of, apart from that it's a cheap hobby- if you don't count the price of kits too=)
User avatar
DRUMS01
Chief Warrant Officer 4
Chief Warrant Officer 4
Posts: 2352
Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2016 1:48 am
Location: Ohio, USA
United States of America

Re: Why do you model?

Post by DRUMS01 »

And lets all not forget the money for bribing or entertaining our spouses to give us the space, time, and money to continue our joyous hobby... yippie!
On the table or recently completed:

1/18 AV8-B Harrier - WIP
1/35 Churchill AVRE with SBG Bridge Diorama - DONE
75mm BMW R75 WW2 motorcycle with rider - DONE
User avatar
digger303
General
General
Posts: 16667
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:01 am
Location: Western Australia
Australia

Re: Why do you model?

Post by digger303 »

DRUMS01 wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:52 am And lets all not forget the money for bribing or entertaining our spouses to give us the space, time, and money to continue our joyous hobby... yippie!
Ahh the unseen cost......damn that's like a iceberg :lol:
Listen and appear wise
Image
Image

scalemates stash https://www.scalemates.com/profiles/mat ... ION[]=Kits
Image
User avatar
Les0012
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant
Posts: 404
Joined: Sun Jun 28, 2015 9:22 pm
Location: Keith NE Scotland
Scotland

Re: Why do you model?

Post by Les0012 »

Like Lee I used to do small models when I was a kid and destroy them as they were just toys then, I then joined the army and life took over, after 13 years in the mob then 25 years on the railway there was just no time to have a real hobby, then in Feb 2015 disaster struck and I was diagnosed with a heart condition, bang went a 25 year career on the iron road. So I was just messing about one day on the computer and hit you tube and watched a modelling video and thought that could be good, so off I went with the wife to hobbycraft and bought the HMS Illustriuos starter kit and that is basically how I started back into this great hobby.

Lse
User avatar
Novasquad23
Sergeant
Sergeant
Posts: 111
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:19 pm
Australia

Re: Why do you model?

Post by Novasquad23 »

I started in my pre-teens with a Monogram P-36 Hawk, followed by an Airfix Ju-87. The bare naked metal look dazzled my eyes (still does) through to my late twenties. The peak of those years was the Airfix 1/24 Hurricane that took me a year to build (and close to a weeks wages to buy). My father was RAAF ground crew (radar techie - i was Army myself) so I grew up around planes, never missing a copy of Flight International once I was earning my own teenage level wages. Dumbest thing I did was donate them to charity at the insistence of my first wife. As work and family chewed up more time I modelled less and less. But now I'm recovering from multiple spinal fractures modelling keeps my mind occupied as there's only so many books to read or so many computer wargames to play. The other big factor is that I'm now a home owner, which means no more attrition of completed models with each change of rental accommodation. My plan is to model everything that flew in Russia from 1914 to date, civil and military, leavened by a strategic bomber collection and aircraft of the RAAF. Let the serious model building and collecting commence.
User avatar
digger303
General
General
Posts: 16667
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:01 am
Location: Western Australia
Australia

Re: Why do you model?

Post by digger303 »

Novasquad23 wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:22 pm I started in my pre-teens with a Monogram P-36 Hawk, followed by an Airfix Ju-87. The bare naked metal look dazzled my eyes (still does) through to my late twenties. The peak of those years was the Airfix 1/24 Hurricane that took me a year to build (and close to a weeks wages to buy). My father was RAAF ground crew (radar techie - i was Army myself) so I grew up around planes, never missing a copy of Flight International once I was earning my own teenage level wages. Dumbest thing I did was donate them to charity at the insistence of my first wife. As work and family chewed up more time I modelled less and less. But now I'm recovering from multiple spinal fractures modelling keeps my mind occupied as there's only so many books to read or so many computer wargames to play. The other big factor is that I'm now a home owner, which means no more attrition of completed models with each change of rental accommodation. My plan is to model everything that flew in Russia from 1914 to date, civil and military, leavened by a strategic bomber collection and aircraft of the RAAF. Let the serious model building and collecting commence.
ambitious goal if modeling in 1/48 or larger, but wish you well. I hope you do a build blog for at least some of them :cheers2:
Listen and appear wise
Image
Image

scalemates stash https://www.scalemates.com/profiles/mat ... ION[]=Kits
Image
garymorris6890
Private First Class
Private First Class
Posts: 33
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:03 pm
Location: Telford
England

Re: Why do you model?

Post by garymorris6890 »

I have got back into modelling after suffering 2 strokes in the last 3 years and I am only 54. My enforced retirements has allowed me to focus all my time on modelling and developing my skills (which need it). In the last 12 months I have invested in a spray booth, compressor and many tools. Currently I have just finished the Airfix 1:48 Merlin which I enjoyed immensely. My next project is a Canadair CL415. I don't intend to focus just on aircraft and am interested to attempt anything except sailing ships (me + rigging= Disaster.) Before that I am redesigning and rebuilding the Mancave to give me more space and to enable the Spray booth to be set up on a permanent basis.

I do modelling as it gives me a reason to get up in the morning and allows me to use my brain on a daily basis.

Gary :th:
User avatar
Twokidsnosleep
General
General
Posts: 18481
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:07 pm
Location: BC,Canada
Canada

Re: Why do you model?

Post by Twokidsnosleep »

garymorris6890 wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:04 pm I have got back into modelling after suffering 2 strokes in the last 3 years and I am only 54. My enforced retirements has allowed me to focus all my time on modelling and developing my skills (which need it). In the last 12 months I have invested in a spray booth, compressor and many tools. Currently I have just finished the Airfix 1:48 Merlin which I enjoyed immensely. My next project is a Canadair CL415. I don't intend to focus just on aircraft and am interested to attempt anything except sailing ships (me + rigging= Disaster.) Before that I am redesigning and rebuilding the Mancave to give me more space and to enable the Spray booth to be set up on a permanent basis.

I do modelling as it gives me a reason to get up in the morning and allows me to use my brain on a daily basis.

Gary :th:

Welcome to ISM
Modelling as therapy, both physical and mental, seems to be a common thread amongst members.
I encourage you to keep at it and to post as you feel comfortable. Lots of good guys to help you along.
Wishing you good luck with your health in the future :D
Scott

On, Under or near the desk
Mr Tamiya Memorial build...Alfa Romeo Bt-46
garymorris6890
Private First Class
Private First Class
Posts: 33
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:03 pm
Location: Telford
England

Re: Why do you model?

Post by garymorris6890 »

Thanks Scott
User avatar
Twokidsnosleep
General
General
Posts: 18481
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:07 pm
Location: BC,Canada
Canada

Re: Why do you model?

Post by Twokidsnosleep »

garymorris6890 wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:07 pm Thanks Scott
:cheers2: bud
Scott

On, Under or near the desk
Mr Tamiya Memorial build...Alfa Romeo Bt-46
Minty
Private
Private
Posts: 13
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:40 pm
England

Re: Why do you model?

Post by Minty »

Reason 1 - I love it!
Reason 2 - Peace and quiet.
Reason 3 - Stress relief.
Reason 4 - Expression of artistic endeavour. 😜😜
Surely it is better to die on your feet than to live on your knees.
User avatar
Gary30
Sergeant Major of the Army
Sergeant Major of the Army
Posts: 1125
Joined: Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:10 pm
Wales

Re: Why do you model?

Post by Gary30 »

I am a big motorsport fan and so picked up a few Tamiya car kits to build (badly) in my teens, had no money, so a hairy stick and a few humbrol pots of paint were all I had at my disposal.

Gave it up in the interest of 1:1 cars, beer and girls. Was never any good with any of them.

A few years later, I'm revisiting the hobby with a modest budget to throw at it to hopefully achieve some decent results. I also have a massive interest in WW2 and general heavy engineering, so I've got some armour kits lined up and of course some car kits I wanted when I was a teen and some bike kits.

It's a decent stress buster, but time passes faster than ANY other hobby I can think of. Two hours gone just cleaning up a couple of parts. I don't know how some of you knock a model out in a couple of days :scratch::
Portfolio
Click here
Kaj45rpm
Private
Private
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:37 pm
Scotland

Re: Why do you model?

Post by Kaj45rpm »

Built Airfix planes and vehicles when I was a kid but my passion is cars and specifically rally cars.
Picked up the Tamiya Toyota Celica safari version and couldn't believe the detail and quality of the kit.
This rejuvenated my modelling and I only build rally cars.
Can't understand why Tamiya ceased releasing rally cars back in 2006 with the Peugeot 307 WRC. Never found a answer to this but I've no interest in building Ferrari or other super cars.

Fortunately Beemax and Belkits are now fullfilling the gap with some great car kits and their choices seem to be spot on. Can't wait for the Quattro, S4 Lancia and 6R4.
I like to build transkit and scratch build parts to improve basic kits.
I've got a Gp4 Escort MKII in work which will hopefully improve on the dreadful Esci version.

Recently discovered ISM and Paul's excellent videos so hopefully can put these to use.
Best regards
Andy
Spokemanjim
Private
Private
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2018 4:03 pm
Scotland

Re: Why do you model?

Post by Spokemanjim »

Like most from my era started modelling in the 1960s with a trip to 'woolies' on a Saturday to buy my next kit, which was usually of the plastic bag type as I couldn't afford the bigger kits. Kept modelling into my 30s when work became more involved and what with a growing family I just didn't have time so it all went into the loft. Then in the early 2000s I had a deputation from my son and wife concerned at the high level of stress my job at the time involved and they suggested I get back to modelling to help de-stress. I did and haven't looked back. Eyes are going so I have to have more lights on than Heathrow runway but I still love it and find it incredibly relaxing. The internet has also changed the face of modelling as so much information and guidance is on hand at the click of a button. Love this site too! :th:
50 years of ruining perfectly good plastic :D
User avatar
Engine95
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Posts: 170
Joined: Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:51 pm
Location: Florida
Contact:
United States of America

Re: Why do you model?

Post by Engine95 »

I enjoyed the hell out of it as a kid. I got into PC gaming quite a bit and War Thunder specifically got me thinking about building models again. I always liked the armor I played to have historically accurate paint schemes. Unfortunately not many people were making historical skins so I decided to make my own. And the old obsession returned of researching a specific period track, finding every possible photo of that vehicle, and getting into the detail of creating these virtual paint schemes I could then use in game. Even to the detail of reproducing the WW2 Kidde fire extinguisher label for the inside of an M10 or the stencil on the 75mm ammo in a Marder III Ausf. H.

And frankly I'm too damned old to fight fire and whitewater kayak anymore. So it's down to more relaxed hobbies like scuba and modelling. :th:
F.D.N.Y. Box 55-8087
In Memory of Brothers in Battle
User avatar
digger303
General
General
Posts: 16667
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:01 am
Location: Western Australia
Australia

Re: Why do you model?

Post by digger303 »

sounds like a plan.
Listen and appear wise
Image
Image

scalemates stash https://www.scalemates.com/profiles/mat ... ION[]=Kits
Image
User avatar
jmurphy18
Sergeant Major of the Army
Sergeant Major of the Army
Posts: 1127
Joined: Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:09 pm
Location: Newport News, VA
Contact:
United States of America

Re: Why do you model?

Post by jmurphy18 »

I like to build things. I built models when I was in my teens, 1972. I remember building a Tyrrell Elf model many many years ago. Right after we got married. I remember as it had 6 wheels. No paint just glued up. That is the extent of my early modeling.

Now I like to build metal earth projects, UGears wood puzzles.
I found a cool car model in a local hobby shop that reminded me of the RC that I use to do and it has snowballed. :crazy: Cars. Is my thing as I enjoy building and working on them. I even have a Camero SS in the garage. I have one more on hold & I want to try to build a bike also. I really like the challenge building gives me and like others said it occupies my mind
John M
On the bench: Xanavi Nismo R-35
Learza
New Recruit
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:51 pm
Scotland

Re: Why do you model?

Post by Learza »

I lived in the countryside when I was younger and being the only boy in the village I had to find something to keep me occupied, can’t play footy by your self 😂😂. Anyway I found a hurricane airfix kit and fell in love with the hobby. Even with a hiatus from scale modelling I still found my self buying the of kit now and then to build.

Currently I’m coming back to scale modelling building as I need to take a break from wargaming tbh, it has been a major part in my life and I love it but I need a break from it for a wee bit. Currently working on a F-51 D airfix kit.
User avatar
GrumpyBeau
Private First Class
Private First Class
Posts: 29
Joined: Sat Jan 31, 2015 6:39 pm
England

Re: Why do you model?

Post by GrumpyBeau »

:banana: I remember watching my father building the Matchbox and Airfix kits in the 60's and 70's then moving on to Balsa models and then on to RC models before I joined the RAF in the late 70's. I then did not touch another model until leaving the RAF and started to enjoy family life with 2 boy's to build kits for, and teach. Unfortunately they did not take to the hobby due to the computer age. So gave up again until 5 years ago when I picked it up again and found that I could come home after a stressful day at work and I could relax and forget work by doing a little sanding or decaling for a couple of hours each evening.
Now I have learned the art of airbrushing and and weathering / shading to a level where I am happy with the finished model. I get a lot of enjoyment whilst building kits. Its fun. :pop:
GrumpyBeau

On the Bench:
Revell 1/32 Tornado ids
Strela17
Private
Private
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu May 23, 2019 6:38 pm
Belgium

Re: Why do you model?

Post by Strela17 »

Eh, I like military history, and it's better to read books and watch documentaries with small specimens of the studies period around you. Plus, I recently found a new way to throw money down the toilet, miniature wargaming, and found good rules for 1/72 stuff, so I now "have" to fluff up my armies...
Kaj45rpm
Private
Private
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:37 pm
Scotland

Re: Why do you model?

Post by Kaj45rpm »

I remember buying the Tamiya Celica Safari rally car from Beatties and as a petrol head I couldn't believe how good it was. That resurrected my love of building models and I still only build rally and race cars. I progressed on to an airbrush and now have more kits than I do have time. It's more of a winter hobby for me when it's too cold and damp to work in the garage.
User avatar
Gregwatters
Corporal
Corporal
Posts: 52
Joined: Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:23 pm
Location: Yorkshire meltham
England

Re: Why do you model?

Post by Gregwatters »

Lots of interesting reasons and stories posted here
i just like throwing paint at plastic and chilling at my desk
:apc:
Nedkelly500
Private
Private
Posts: 23
Joined: Thu Jul 04, 2019 5:44 pm
Wales

Re: Why do you model?

Post by Nedkelly500 »

It relaxes me just getting back into it used to spend hours as teenager modelling in my bedroom then I moved on to rc cars and trucks, but lost my enjoyment of it now I have a lovely shed / workshop in my garden and my daughter is starting to show and interest she may only be three but she loves sitting next to me to do some fixing and painting
User avatar
Twokidsnosleep
General
General
Posts: 18481
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:07 pm
Location: BC,Canada
Canada

Re: Why do you model?

Post by Twokidsnosleep »

Nedkelly500 wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:21 pm It relaxes me just getting back into it used to spend hours as teenager modelling in my bedroom then I moved on to rc cars and trucks, but lost my enjoyment of it now I have a lovely shed / workshop in my garden and my daughter is starting to show and interest she may only be three but she loves sitting next to me to do some fixing and painting
Awesome stuff buddy, we have very similar patterns. please show and share some of your work
There are some really simple kits for little ones as well...I think Airfix had them
Might be good to get her going on a hobby too
Scott

On, Under or near the desk
Mr Tamiya Memorial build...Alfa Romeo Bt-46
OttawaIrishGuy
Private
Private
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:06 pm
Canada

Re: Why do you model?

Post by OttawaIrishGuy »

Twokidsnosleep wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:45 am
Nedkelly500 wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:21 pm It relaxes me just getting back into it used to spend hours as teenager modelling in my bedroom then I moved on to rc cars and trucks, but lost my enjoyment of it now I have a lovely shed / workshop in my garden and my daughter is starting to show and interest she may only be three but she loves sitting next to me to do some fixing and painting
Awesome stuff buddy, we have very similar patterns. please show and share some of your work
There are some really simple kits for little ones as well...I think Airfix had them
Might be good to get her going on a hobby too
Was it Revell that did the Snap-tite kits? Is that the one you are thinking of?

As for me, like many others started as a kid and not really sure why but I do remember my uncle was into flying RC planes (still is now), so it may have started from that.

Over the years faded in and out of the hobby. Always admired the military models and love the history they tell in diorama form but it's not something that would hold my interest outside of models. As I got older I did like motor racing and cars so when I got back to the hobby that was a new discovery for me was the selection of cars. I actually still have a Williams F1 car that I never finished in my stash, must be 20+ years old.

As I say faded in and out, as a kid building models was a chore as it was done on the kitchen table. Getting back into was when I bought my first house with my now wife. Having a build table helped but could never really find the time. Now that I am back to it (making a conscious effort to make it a regular ) thing I have a dedicated area in the basement, still getting it too how I really want it but it's getting there.

The reason I came back recently was a need for a release. I have worked in IT my while career and love it, gone from a developer to DBA to Sys admin and now moved away from the tech end to be a project manager/business analyst. The company I work for is still considered start up in a new industry here in Canada and I love job, the company and the team I work with and genuinely the happiest I have been in my career BUT it's stressful, like really stressful and considering I am not getting any younger my health is not what it used to be. Had a few scares over the last few months and felt I need something too "unwind" and that was the modelling, there is something very cathartic about sanding a plastic part and making it perfect. It really has literally been only a few weeks back at the table but already I look forward to a night sitting there and messing around with a kit.

Like I say hopefully I can keep doing it and make a sustained return to the hobby.
User avatar
Gregwatters
Corporal
Corporal
Posts: 52
Joined: Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:23 pm
Location: Yorkshire meltham
England

Re: Why do you model?

Post by Gregwatters »

Yes i hear you, things can get stressful, and sometimes a break is needed, this hobby provides that as you can while away the hours just thinking about what you are going to do next with your current project and chill. my mojo for medelling comes and goes i just try to not force anything and don't set targets.

I find just sitting at my desk chilling and doing bits of models is a cool way to spend my time and hope that you continue to keep at it and it helps de-stress.

Regards Greg
i just like throwing paint at plastic and chilling at my desk
:apc:
User avatar
Twokidsnosleep
General
General
Posts: 18481
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:07 pm
Location: BC,Canada
Canada

Re: Why do you model?

Post by Twokidsnosleep »

Ok well maybe this is a little too deep, but this video came up in my suggestions and I was touched by it, both in words and composition.
Perhaps it does help explain why I play with toys as an adult

Scott

On, Under or near the desk
Mr Tamiya Memorial build...Alfa Romeo Bt-46
User avatar
digger303
General
General
Posts: 16667
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:01 am
Location: Western Australia
Australia

Re: Why do you model?

Post by digger303 »

Twokidsnosleep wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:41 pm Ok well maybe this is a little too deep, but this video came up in my suggestions and I was touched by it, both in words and composition.
Perhaps it does help explain why I play with toys as an adult

It strikes a resonance.
Yet how are we all as a civilization meant to survive ? In some ways money is a serious restrictive growth inhibitor and we might be better off without it or at least people should have a guaranteed basic income no matter what.
I think too many of us do destructive jobs. Sales people selling us more and more product ( newer model product ) we don't need. Just a waste of resources. Companies doing the same all of us feeling the need to rush around from one country to the next just to entertain ourselves or force our views or systems of government on another country. The need to compete with your neighbour pushes us down the road of consumerism for the sake of it. Just think what earth could be like if all of that was channeled into research. We'd be in the outer reach's of space by now. Of course none of that applies to modeling ;)
Listen and appear wise
Image
Image

scalemates stash https://www.scalemates.com/profiles/mat ... ION[]=Kits
Image
User avatar
Twokidsnosleep
General
General
Posts: 18481
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:07 pm
Location: BC,Canada
Canada

Re: Why do you model?

Post by Twokidsnosleep »

I felt the point was to have fun in the moment, find joy now and not wait until you retire or reach the end.
Do some stuff you like and enjoy while you can
Kind of keep that childhood spirit...which is what brought me post this about modelling
Scott

On, Under or near the desk
Mr Tamiya Memorial build...Alfa Romeo Bt-46
User avatar
digger303
General
General
Posts: 16667
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:01 am
Location: Western Australia
Australia

Re: Why do you model?

Post by digger303 »

Twokidsnosleep wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 6:50 am I felt the point was to have fun in the moment, find joy now and not wait until you retire or reach the end.
Do some stuff you like and enjoy while you can
Kind of keep that childhood spirit...which is what brought me post this about modelling
That too .
Listen and appear wise
Image
Image

scalemates stash https://www.scalemates.com/profiles/mat ... ION[]=Kits
Image
User avatar
alextheblue
Chief Warrant Officer 5
Chief Warrant Officer 5
Posts: 2679
Joined: Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:30 am
Location: Slough, United Kingdom
Contact:
Scotland

Re: Why do you model?

Post by alextheblue »

Unfortunately, in the West, were not very good at living in the now. We constantly reflect on the past, when we're not worrying about the future. The ironic thing is, neither one exists. The past is gone, never to be recaptured and the future has yet to happen. All that exists is now. But in a breath it is gone and another opportunity to seize the moment has gone. But I have to think about the future I hear you cry. I have responsibilities, bills to pay, things to plan for. My mortgage needs paying, I'm worried about my kids future and it's the wife's birthday next week and I need to get her a present. All true of course, but whilst we are worrying about these things, we miss an opportunity to play with the kids, to spend some time with the wife and to do the things we enjoy. These moments, like a bubble in the wind, are burst and gone forever.

And maybe that's why we model. Sat at our benches, huddled over our models, brush and knife in hand, we are only thinking about what we are doing at that moment. Cleaning up a part, bending some PE, or detail painting, we are only thinking about what it is in front of us. What needs to be done at that very moment. Maybe this is us concentrating on the journey, rather than fixating on the destination.

Anyway, enough of all this hooey, I've got things to do. Models to finish, reveal pics to take, a bench to clean up. I'm a busy man!! :tongue: :tongue: :D :th:
"Courage is feeling fear and acting anyway."

www.alextheblue.com
User avatar
digger303
General
General
Posts: 16667
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:01 am
Location: Western Australia
Australia

Re: Why do you model?

Post by digger303 »

alextheblue wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:48 pm Unfortunately, in the West, were not very good at living in the now. We constantly reflect on the past, when we're not worrying about the future. The ironic thing is, neither one exists. The past is gone, never to be recaptured and the future has yet to happen. All that exists is now. But in a breath it is gone and another opportunity to seize the moment has gone. But I have to think about the future I hear you cry. I have responsibilities, bills to pay, things to plan for. My mortgage needs paying, I'm worried about my kids future and it's the wife's birthday next week and I need to get her a present. All true of course, but whilst we are worrying about these things, we miss an opportunity to play with the kids, to spend some time with the wife and to do the things we enjoy. These moments, like a bubble in the wind, are burst and gone forever.

And maybe that's why we model. Sat at our benches, huddled over our models, brush and knife in hand, we are only thinking about what we are doing at that moment. Cleaning up a part, bending some PE, or detail painting, we are only thinking about what it is in front of us. What needs to be done at that very moment. Maybe this is us concentrating on the journey, rather than fixating on the destination.

Anyway, enough of all this hooey, I've got things to do. Models to finish, reveal pics to take, a bench to clean up. I'm a busy man!! :tongue: :tongue: :D :th:
:lol: You speak a truth :th: :cheers2:
Listen and appear wise
Image
Image

scalemates stash https://www.scalemates.com/profiles/mat ... ION[]=Kits
Image
User avatar
onemac
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class
Posts: 317
Joined: Sun May 15, 2016 6:24 pm
Location: Lossiemouth, UK
Great Britain

Re: Why do you model?

Post by onemac »

Mmmmm - thought I had already posted here :doh:

Modelled when I was a kid through teenage years before priorities changed. Fast forward thirty years and with a couple of failed attempts to get back into modelling I had an accident on my mountain bike and broke my neck. OT at the spinal unit suggested I try a hobby to help rehabilitate the bod (I had to learn to walk again) so I got the old kits out, bought a few paints, sanders etc and plunged headlong into it.
Youtube searches sent me to ISM where there was a plethora of videos for the beginner and that was it. Crashing headlong back into it I amassed the airbrush, compressor, tools etc and when we had alterations done to the house the wife kindly had me a man-cave built in the garage.
It is amaxing how much the hobby relaxes me - especially when I'm in the hangouts. Yes I have problens handling bits, airbrushing, sanding and especially re-scribing but I thoroughly enoy it - end of!

Al
Currently on the bench:

1/32 Tamiya F-15E Strike Eagle
1/48 GWH T-33 Shooting Star
1/48 Revell (Monogram) F-15C Eagle
User avatar
Twokidsnosleep
General
General
Posts: 18481
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:07 pm
Location: BC,Canada
Canada

Re: Why do you model?

Post by Twokidsnosleep »

alextheblue wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:48 pm Unfortunately, in the West, were not very good at living in the now. We constantly reflect on the past, when we're not worrying about the future. The ironic thing is, neither one exists. The past is gone, never to be recaptured and the future has yet to happen. All that exists is now. But in a breath it is gone and another opportunity to seize the moment has gone. But I have to think about the future I hear you cry. I have responsibilities, bills to pay, things to plan for. My mortgage needs paying, I'm worried about my kids future and it's the wife's birthday next week and I need to get her a present. All true of course, but whilst we are worrying about these things, we miss an opportunity to play with the kids, to spend some time with the wife and to do the things we enjoy. These moments, like a bubble in the wind, are burst and gone forever.

And maybe that's why we model. Sat at our benches, huddled over our models, brush and knife in hand, we are only thinking about what we are doing at that moment. Cleaning up a part, bending some PE, or detail painting, we are only thinking about what it is in front of us. What needs to be done at that very moment. Maybe this is us concentrating on the journey, rather than fixating on the destination.

Anyway, enough of all this hooey, I've got things to do. Models to finish, reveal pics to take, a bench to clean up. I'm a busy man!! :tongue: :tongue: :D :th:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Enough of this hoooey indeed :tongue:
Reality sucks
Scott

On, Under or near the desk
Mr Tamiya Memorial build...Alfa Romeo Bt-46
User avatar
CygnusX1
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class
Posts: 313
Joined: Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:24 pm
England

Re: Why do you model?

Post by CygnusX1 »

I model because I find it relaxing, but also stressful sometimes, especially when things aren't going well - but I think we all know that feeling.
I don't really stick to a specific subject (like just cars or just armour etc) and I'll build anything that I think looks good.
I particularly like building Panzers (Panthers/Jagdpanthers and Pz3 based vehicles specifically) but will build pretty much any of them. I also like IDF vehicles and their mix n match attitude to 'hand me downs' and how they can make this stuff better or more resilient to their specific geography and weather, and how they can make fighting vehicles from what sometimes can literally be, a box of bits.

I also have a soft spot for helicopters (heavy lift stuff and large troop movers rather than smaller machines) and particularly like the Sikorsky MH-53 although there aren't many kits of this vehicle about. I've got a couple in the stash, and have toyed with doing one of them in a Japanese Coast Guard scheme, but (to my knowledge anyway) there aren't any decals for this particular scheme, so I'd have to make masks for the majority of the vehicle, which doesn't exactly fill me with enthusiasm right now, but maybe when I've got my eye back in after a few straight builds we'll see.

Here's a pic of an MH-53 in the JCG scheme so you can see what I mean...
Image
markske
Private First Class
Private First Class
Posts: 31
Joined: Sat Nov 23, 2019 3:07 pm
Belgium

Re: Why do you model?

Post by markske »

i have started my modelling in the 80s with the matcbox kit on the kitchen tabel and a simple knife even without paint with my father
then i have been building till i whas 19 and when to work and going out you know how itsgoing thn

I have started back in 2008 and men what a world whent open for me,whent to a local hobby club to learn more
for many years a only build planes and choppers
Last year i lost all intrest in building planes i didnt finnish a singel model started a few
Now i have stept out off my comfort zone and building my first 1/12 car and im back hookd ond the hobby

Its just so much fun and relaxing for me
just building for my self no competition for me so far that means less presserure

Mark
User avatar
digger303
General
General
Posts: 16667
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:01 am
Location: Western Australia
Australia

Re: Why do you model?

Post by digger303 »

markske wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:32 pm i have started my modelling in the 80s with the matcbox kit on the kitchen tabel and a simple knife even without paint with my father
then i have been building till i whas 19 and when to work and going out you know how itsgoing thn

I have started back in 2008 and men what a world whent open for me,whent to a local hobby club to learn more
for many years a only build planes and choppers
Last year i lost all intrest in building planes i didnt finnish a singel model started a few
Now i have stept out off my comfort zone and building my first 1/12 car and im back hookd ond the hobby

Its just so much fun and relaxing for me
just building for my self no competition for me so far that means less presserure

Mark
:welcome: :th: :th: :cheers2:
Listen and appear wise
Image
Image

scalemates stash https://www.scalemates.com/profiles/mat ... ION[]=Kits
Image
User avatar
KalebB
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Posts: 934
Joined: Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:01 am
Location: Southern Indiana, USA
United States of America

Re: Why do you model?

Post by KalebB »

I build scale models for a few reasons.

1) I am obsessed with firearms,vehicles, and history of the WW1-Korean war era. So getting to build these Tanks and armoured vehicles of that era is pleasing. Also, Tanks are just the coolest damn thing in the world to me

2) it's relaxing. I have other hobbies but none of them are as relaxing as scale modelling.

3) It's a great hobby to socialize with others in, getting to discuss each others builds and what techniques work best is pretty unique, no other hobby I do outside of working on cars is really as social as this hobby is, which helps me since I'm a generally anti social person.

So yeah that's my reasons I suppose :lol:
"This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I’m talkin’ to whoever’s listenin’ out there" ~ Jack Burton

On the Bench
User avatar
digger303
General
General
Posts: 16667
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:01 am
Location: Western Australia
Australia

Re: Why do you model?

Post by digger303 »

KalebB wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:43 am I build scale models for a few reasons.

1) I am obsessed with firearms,vehicles, and history of the WW1-Korean war era. So getting to build these Tanks and armoured vehicles of that era is pleasing. Also, Tanks are just the coolest damn thing in the world to me

2) it's relaxing. I have other hobbies but none of them are as relaxing as scale modelling.

3) It's a great hobby to socialize with others in, getting to discuss each others builds and what techniques work best is pretty unique, no other hobby I do outside of working on cars is really as social as this hobby is, which helps me since I'm a generally anti social person.

So yeah that's my reasons I suppose :lol:
Your a worry...Anti social man with guns ... :pistols: ;) :lol: :lol:
Thank god your a modeler .... :thumb1: :thumb1: :lol: :cheers2:
Listen and appear wise
Image
Image

scalemates stash https://www.scalemates.com/profiles/mat ... ION[]=Kits
Image
User avatar
KalebB
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Posts: 934
Joined: Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:01 am
Location: Southern Indiana, USA
United States of America

Re: Why do you model?

Post by KalebB »

digger303 wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:57 am
KalebB wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:43 am I build scale models for a few reasons.

1) I am obsessed with firearms,vehicles, and history of the WW1-Korean war era. So getting to build these Tanks and armoured vehicles of that era is pleasing. Also, Tanks are just the coolest damn thing in the world to me

2) it's relaxing. I have other hobbies but none of them are as relaxing as scale modelling.

3) It's a great hobby to socialize with others in, getting to discuss each others builds and what techniques work best is pretty unique, no other hobby I do outside of working on cars is really as social as this hobby is, which helps me since I'm a generally anti social person.

So yeah that's my reasons I suppose :lol:
Your a worry...Anti social man with guns ... :pistols: ;) :lol: :lol:
Thank god your a modeler .... :thumb1: :thumb1: :lol: :cheers2:
:lol: :lol: You're not wrong mate. People do view me a bit weirdly since I have such a collection of firearms.

I couldn't hurt a fly though :lol:

Cheers! :cheers2:
"This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I’m talkin’ to whoever’s listenin’ out there" ~ Jack Burton

On the Bench
User avatar
AgentOrange
Sergeant
Sergeant
Posts: 126
Joined: Tue Mar 17, 2020 5:50 pm
Scotland

Re: Why do you model?

Post by AgentOrange »

:eeek: It keeps me sane.
Kratilim
Private
Private
Posts: 18
Joined: Fri May 08, 2020 1:48 pm
Netherlands

Re: Why do you model?

Post by Kratilim »

I model for multiple reasons like everyone else here :'). Its relaxing. Interesting to learn about the subjects I build. Its also kind of a therapy for my tremors. Also a way to be creative outside of my normal job. :)
NoelSmith
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class
Posts: 326
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2015 2:35 pm
Great Britain

Re: Why do you model?

Post by NoelSmith »

It's a lot cheaper than golf club membership and sinking a few in the 19th hole, or having a football club season ticket and pubbing afterwards.
Seriously though, it is a good thing to do when retired like me as it keeps my mind active overcoming problems, doing research and having a nice little lockable workshop purpose built taking up the rear half of my garage to keep out from under my wife's feet around the house.
I have seen so many retirees with no hobbies just quickly vegetate in front of a television set all day.
DaveRosalind
New Recruit
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:12 am
Cape Verde

Re: Why do you model?

Post by DaveRosalind »

sounds like a plan.
:banana:

______________________________________
fjallraven classic
Post Reply

Return to “Modelling Chat”