Page 7 of 7

Re: Dragon 1/35 King Tiger & Tamiya Kubelwagen diorama

Posted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:34 pm
by Paul
Right im slowly going mental doing this KT, i love armour, but htis level of weathering is taking its toll on my sanity lol.

Tracks were treated to some dark mud pigment, which was fixed with some mineral spirit.

Image
Once dry i then did the same (but to a lesser extent) with a couple of rust pigments, it look really ott red in the pic, but its just because its wet
Image

Once dry ill blend the colours together a bit and see whats next

i know i said i wouldmt show any more of the kt but anyway.

More dust pigments have been added to the tops of the side skirts and once dry have been blended to the corners, seen in the pics still wet on the sides giving the effect of dust to the bottom of the skirts, kicked up from the floor.

I applied some mud made form plaster of paris, various pigments and acrylic resin, this was put under the mudguards and all around the bottom half of the hull front and back, once hardened ive gone over with concrete pigment mixed with industrial city dirt pigment to give it that textured muddy look. Im going for the look of a vehicle thats been offroad at some point but lately has been on dry dusty roads. My weathering may not be to everyones tastes but i said from the start she would be battered.

Wheels have also been treated to several pigment coats to give the same effect. Mud and dust effects are not truly shown as the fixer is still wet makng it look darker than it actually is

First fix of mud
Image

2nd as its drying

Image[/url]

Once all the pigments are done, ill give it a matt coat of varnish then ill move on to spilt oil/fuel effects and some rain/slight rust streaking although i am restricted on streaking by the zimmerit so itll just be present on the side skirts.

My bomb site at the moment driving me mental
Image

Re: Dragon 1/35 King Tiger & Tamiya Kubelwagen diorama

Posted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:52 pm
by Paul
Oh yeah I no longer hate photo etch. I now hate pigments, after today's session I look like a have a fake tan on my face.

Re: Dragon 1/35 King Tiger & Tamiya Kubelwagen diorama

Posted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:01 pm
by T3hGuppy
Those tracks look great.

Very used KT coming together fantastic even if you are now orange lol. :nena:

Re: Dragon 1/35 King Tiger & Tamiya Kubelwagen diorama

Posted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:11 pm
by Coen
That weathering is perfect Paul.
Nothing that I wouldn't have done. Nice and muddy. You throw a thin layer of light coloured dust on it and I think that it'll be ideal.
She's gorgeous.

Re: Dragon 1/35 King Tiger & Tamiya Kubelwagen diorama

Posted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:47 pm
by Paul
T3hGuppy wrote:Those tracks look great.

Very used KT coming together fantastic even if you are now orange lol. :nena:
Yep,I've been tango'ed lol
Coen wrote:That weathering is perfect Paul.
Nothing that I wouldn't have done. Nice and muddy. You throw a thin layer of light coloured dust on it and I think that it'll be ideal.
She's gorgeous.
Cheer mate, I had just put the light dust pigments on that mud that's why it's a little dark, it'll be dry tomorrow ready for some blending.

Re: Dragon 1/35 King Tiger & Tamiya Kubelwagen diorama

Posted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:14 am
by BrummieModeller
your suppose to but it on the model not you lol :crazy:

Re: Dragon 1/35 King Tiger & Tamiya Kubelwagen diorama

Posted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:32 am
by longlance67
Hi Paul,
real nice weathering on the tracks,and the build up of mud on the front plate looks very convincing

great work mate !


Shane

Re: Dragon 1/35 King Tiger & Tamiya Kubelwagen diorama

Posted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:05 pm
by Lee
Dirty Tiger - bad boy...... :th:

Re: Dragon 1/35 King Tiger & Tamiya Kubelwagen diorama

Posted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:46 pm
by Paul
Right time to face facts.

I went back to this today, ive had a break from it for a few days while i finished of the Tamiya bike. With a looming deadline ive found myself rushing things today and making silly mistakes, which really annoys me when i do that.

Im not going to finish this in two weeks ive still got too much to do, and I'm not rushing it and ruining whats cost me a fortune. Ive still got the tiger to finish, its nearly there but still lots to do. The kubelwagen still needs weathering and finishing, three figures to paint (still need to get two) and the dio base still needs to be done.

So its being shelved until ive built the 1/32 F4U for emodels then ill come back to it refreshed and eager to finish it.

I'll (and it will) be back..... :th:

Re: Dragon 1/35 King Tiger & Tamiya Kubelwagen diorama

Posted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:50 pm
by T3hGuppy
Paul wrote:Right time to face facts.

I went back to this today, ive had a break from it for a few days while i finished of the Tamiya bike. With a looming deadline ive found myself rushing things today and making silly mistakes, which really annoys me when i do that.

Im not going to finish this in two weeks ive still got too much to do, and I'm not rushing it and ruining whats cost me a fortune. Ive still got the tiger to finish, its nearly there but still lots to do. The kubelwagen still needs weathering and finishing, three figures to paint (still need to get two) and the dio base still needs to be done.

So its being shelved until ive built the 1/32 F4U for emodels then ill come back to it refreshed and eager to finish it.

I'll (and it will) be back..... :th:

Oh no! but I see exactly where your coming from Id want to do the best I could too. :th:

Re: Dragon 1/35 King Tiger & Tamiya Kubelwagen diorama

Posted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:52 pm
by Paul
T3hGuppy wrote:
Paul wrote:Right time to face facts.

I went back to this today, ive had a break from it for a few days while i finished of the Tamiya bike. With a looming deadline ive found myself rushing things today and making silly mistakes, which really annoys me when i do that.

Im not going to finish this in two weeks ive still got too much to do, and I'm not rushing it and ruining whats cost me a fortune. Ive still got the tiger to finish, its nearly there but still lots to do. The kubelwagen still needs weathering and finishing, three figures to paint (still need to get two) and the dio base still needs to be done.

So its being shelved until ive built the 1/32 F4U for emodels then ill come back to it refreshed and eager to finish it.

I'll (and it will) be back..... :th:

Oh no! but I see exactly where your coming from Id want to do the best I could too. :th:
Its a bit gutting to not finish our first GB, but its not like i can win anyway so no problem :wtf:

Re: Dragon 1/35 King Tiger & Tamiya Kubelwagen diorama

Posted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:52 pm
by Nige201980
It a shame made but I'm sure everyone will understand ill be looking out for it when you finally get back to it but I'm waiting on the edge of my seat to see you build that corsair which I think is going to be epic.

Re: Dragon 1/35 King Tiger & Tamiya Kubelwagen diorama

Posted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:00 pm
by McLeod
It's a bummer you won't get it done in time Paul but taking your time and doing it right is definitely the best course of action, it's already looking good and when you do get a chance to finish it will be amazing. Looking forward to you re-commencing it, also can't wait to see the F4U too :D

Re: Dragon 1/35 King Tiger & Tamiya Kubelwagen diorama

Posted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:43 pm
by Coen
Truly sucks Buddy, but you're only one Dude and better to work with ease and add quality than to make do eh?
She's worth the wait.

Re: Dragon 1/35 King Tiger & Tamiya Kubelwagen diorama

Posted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:46 pm
by Paul
I know mate, it'll be done though, just need less pressure and a bit of time off and I'll be fine.

It will be done.

Re: Dragon 1/35 King Tiger & Tamiya Kubelwagen diorama

Posted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:41 am
by UKscalemodeller
I have rushed certain aspects of mine (don't get much modelling time so try to cram as much in as I can) and it shows. Mine should be done in time but is not as good as I think it can be so I fully understand your decision. Thankfully mine has cost a LOT less than your masterpiece.

I just want to see it done at some point because it will look amazing.

Re: Dragon 1/35 King Tiger & Tamiya Kubelwagen diorama

Posted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:22 pm
by Paul
Thanks for the comments fellas, im not rushing this for anyone, once ive build the corsair ill come back to it.

Thinking about it as and i nearly left it like this i would like to enter it in the GB in this bare PE/plastic finish, does anyone have any problems with me doing that, after all i cant win lol so im no threat to anyones build.
Image
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

Re: Dragon 1/35 King Tiger & Tamiya Kubelwagen diorama

Posted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:26 pm
by T3hGuppy
Go for it dude.

:th:

Re: Dragon 1/35 King Tiger & Tamiya Kubelwagen diorama

Posted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:07 pm
by NorthernSwede
I think it¨s a work of art as it sits so go for it. :cheers2:

Re: Dragon 1/35 King Tiger & Tamiya Kubelwagen diorama

Posted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:15 pm
by Coen
If it were up to me, I'd say most definitely. The C3P0 Tiger is a phenomenon.

Re: Dragon 1/35 King Tiger & Tamiya Kubelwagen diorama

Posted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 6:15 pm
by gosselin2112
I think that is quite all right. In fact, there is a certain charm about having a model with all the cool extras on without paint. C3PO! That's great!

Re: Dragon 1/35 King Tiger & Tamiya Kubelwagen diorama

Posted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:12 am
by chief5437
I always said it looks mint without the paint, go for it! Sorry we won't get to see it done (yet), but I think you've made the right choice, after all the hard work you've put into this, let alone the cost. It'd be a shame to feel pressured into rushing it and risking making mistakes. My GF bought me my AFV432 @ £100 and £100 worth of extras for it, so I know what you mean about wanting to take it slow and get it right. It's the finished product that's more important than the GB, and who knows, you might get commission from the PE companies for showing off their products! LOL!!

Great work, and great thread.
Thanks Paul.

Re: Dragon 1/35 King Tiger & Tamiya Kubelwagen diorama

Posted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:15 am
by Paul
Cheers chief, lol I'm owed alot of commission from various companies now, I hope they start to pay up soon lol

Re: Dragon 1/35 King Tiger & Tamiya Kubelwagen diorama

Posted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:09 pm
by Matthew
Got to say m8 that work is top class look forward to seeing it done :th:

Re: Dragon 1/35 King Tiger & Tamiya Kubelwagen diorama

Posted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:20 pm
by Paul
Matthew wrote:Got to say m8 that work is top class look forward to seeing it done :th:
Cheers matt :cheers2:

Re: Dragon 1/35 King Tiger & Tamiya Kubelwagen diorama

Posted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:39 pm
by Lee
Cheat.....

Re: Dragon 1/35 King Tiger & Tamiya Kubelwagen diorama

Posted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:41 pm
by Paul
Lee wrote:Cheat.....
At least I got something done :nena:

Re: Dragon 1/35 King Tiger & Tamiya Kubelwagen diorama

Posted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:26 am
by fly1ngdutchm4n
Got to say, top shelf!
Awesome weathering :bow::
Its easy to do to much weatering, this is spot on :thumb1:
And those flags, the are awesome to!
And the are Dutch made :mrgreen:

Re: Dragon 1/35 King Tiger & Tamiya Kubelwagen diorama

Posted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:00 pm
by ww2hispanomodels
WOW! It changed a lot since the last time I saw it! What can I say... Masterpiece :eeek: :eeek:

Re: Dragon 1/35 King Tiger & Tamiya Kubelwagen diorama

Posted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:50 pm
by HWGuderian23
Wicked :bow::!

A piece of gold...

!!!!!!!!PLEASE DON'T PAINT IT!!!!!!!!

:D

Re: Dragon 1/35 King Tiger & Tamiya Kubelwagen diorama

Posted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:01 pm
by Paul
HWGuderian23 wrote:Wicked :bow::!

A piece of gold...

!!!!!!!!PLEASE DON'T PAINT IT!!!!!!!!

:D
Too late, lol go further back in the thread :th:

Re: Dragon 1/35 King Tiger & Tamiya Kubelwagen diorama

Posted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:20 pm
by HWGuderian23
Paul wrote:
HWGuderian23 wrote:Wicked :bow::!

A piece of gold...

!!!!!!!!PLEASE DON'T PAINT IT!!!!!!!!

:D
Too late, lol go further back in the thread :th:
Shame on me :oops:!
It's better still :thumb2:!

Re: Dragon 1/35 King Tiger & Tamiya Kubelwagen diorama

Posted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:44 am
by Gb64c
Wow Paul, that is wild.

I am going to use this every time I buy a pot of paint, I will show the Minister of Finance and say see, I could be building this, but noooo all I want is a pot o paint.

What I use now is, "would you prefer I restore classic cars?" :lol:

But ours is better. :cheers2:

Can't wait to see it, the tools are so cool, maybe some close up pics. :thumb2:

Re: Dragon 1/35 King Tiger & Tamiya Kubelwagen diorama

Posted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:01 am
by longlance67
oh man, thats one mighty pretty looking Tiger you got there Paul

stunning work


Shane

Re: Dragon 1/35 King Tiger & Tamiya Kubelwagen diorama

Posted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:10 am
by Paul
Cheers fellas, I plan to be back at this in the new year

Re: Dragon 1/35 King Tiger & Tamiya Kubelwagen diorama

Posted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:44 am
by Radzy
Paul wrote:Cheers fellas, I plan to be back at this in the new year
yeah... and all this stuff will be already oxidised and covered in rust :D - cheap trick for weathering ? :banana: :nena: :lol:

Re: Dragon 1/35 King Tiger & Tamiya Kubelwagen diorama

Posted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:51 am
by AchtungPanzer
Nice Cat - i like that :th: - Really good work Paul :clap: .

Re: Dragon 1/35 King Tiger & Tamiya Kubelwagen diorama

Posted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:47 pm
by JayCub
Fabulous build log Paul i have learned quite a bit, the most i ever did regarding chipping and rust was using the dry brush method and mostly guess work as these type of forums i didn't know existed and youtube is this year for me.
This is a master class in model building from a cheeky chap on merseyside (and i mean that in the best way possible ), very nicely done and a great source of reference.

Tom

Re: Dragon 1/35 King Tiger & Tamiya Kubelwagen diorama

Posted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:17 pm
by Paul
JayCub wrote:Fabulous build log Paul i have learned quite a bit, the most i ever did regarding chipping and rust was using the dry brush method and mostly guess work as these type of forums i didn't know existed and youtube is this year for me.
This is a master class in model building from a cheeky chap on merseyside (and i mean that in the best way possible ), very nicely done and a great source of reference.

Tom
Ha ha thanks tom' I like that "cheeky chap" lol :cheers2:

Re: Dragon 1/35 King Tiger & Tamiya Kubelwagen diorama

Posted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 3:56 pm
by Paul
So finally back to this. once the panther and il2 build are out the way i plan to get this finished. :thumb2:

Re: Dragon 1/35 King Tiger & Tamiya Kubelwagen diorama

Posted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 11:16 pm
by robertw
My god I am an idiot. I saw this post and was like "I thought shelf of doom meant only started kits...? And how does it already have 34 pages worth of comments?"

:doh:

My idiocy knows no bounds.

Re: Dragon 1/35 King Tiger & Tamiya Kubelwagen diorama

Posted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 1:43 am
by KSmodeler
Any chance you will make a video of this build?

Re: Dragon 1/35 King Tiger & Tamiya Kubelwagen diorama

Posted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 8:08 am
by fltopp1
So what ever happened???? Its now October and nothing since August. :wall: Is it finished?? I'm dying to see it. Believe it or not I found this 35 pages of bliss today after seeing the track (Fruil) vid on youtube, :jd: and I have spent a small fortune on most the PE for the same tank but My KT is supposed to be an older model. My PE came with a whole ton more such as the exhaust covers and much more PE for the turret and back hatch on the turret as well as the commanders cupola and inside of all hatches. So I am curious if there was a lot of PE that came with yours that you chose not to use? I still want to get the Gun and mount as well as antennae such as what you used. Also for my figures I hope to find some "Tank" brand figures for the diorama i'm planning. I wish I had half the talent you have for the finishing stages though. Incredible job!!!!! :clap: :bow:: :thumb2:

Re: Dragon 1/35 King Tiger & Tamiya Kubelwagen diorama

Posted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 11:12 am
by Paul
fltopp1 wrote:So what ever happened???? Its now October and nothing since August. :wall: Is it finished?? I'm dying to see it. Believe it or not I found this 35 pages of bliss today after seeing the track (Fruil) vid on youtube, :jd: and I have spent a small fortune on most the PE for the same tank but My KT is supposed to be an older model. My PE came with a whole ton more such as the exhaust covers and much more PE for the turret and back hatch on the turret as well as the commanders cupola and inside of all hatches. So I am curious if there was a lot of PE that came with yours that you chose not to use? I still want to get the Gun and mount as well as antennae such as what you used. Also for my figures I hope to find some "Tank" brand figures for the diorama i'm planning. I wish I had half the talent you have for the finishing stages though. Incredible job!!!!! :clap: :bow:: :thumb2:
Thanks for the kind comments, it didn't take off again as the arrival of my son took over everything lol.

I will get back to it at some point in the meantime I have other builds on the go too :thumb2:

Re: Dragon 1/35 King Tiger & Tamiya Kubelwagen diorama

Posted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 2:20 pm
by jbellos1
Dude! That's going to be awesome! All that a/m stuff...incredible. Those metal tracks...fantastic detail just from the links in the bag! Can't wait to see how it comes along.!

Re: Dragon 1/35 King Tiger & Tamiya Kubelwagen diorama

Posted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 3:19 pm
by Gb64c
Paul,

Your original post was a yeAr ago! looks like a crazy cool build.

Y'all are paying high dollar for kits in the UK.

This kit in the USA is £ 23. Not 55 or so.

And assume with all the bling you added you would recommend this Dragon kit.

I may try it out, my experience on the T 80 was not good but I trust yours and Coens judgment.

Re: Dragon 1/35 King Tiger & Tamiya Kubelwagen diorama

Posted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 6:42 pm
by Unit53
Congratulations on the new arrival Paul, excellent news!

:cheers2:
Martin