Page 2 of 2

Re: Eduard F6F-3 Hellcat 1/48

Posted: Mon May 25, 2015 8:16 am
by shortCummins
looking really good

rgds
John(shortCummins)

Re: Eduard F6F-3 Hellcat 1/48

Posted: Mon May 25, 2015 11:51 am
by Nige201980
Loving the little tug as always top draw mate

Re: Eduard F6F-3 Hellcat 1/48

Posted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 4:00 pm
by heel
Thank you fellas. Apologies for the lack of updates but I have been working on this.

The pilots are coming along

Image

Image

Image

This will all be a scratch made carrier deck. I have photo etch tie downs

Image

Image

A few hundred square coffee stirrers and a base
Image


Down they go onto some mod podge

Image

Image

And then it gets an ebony stain that gives it a richer color and some initial weathering. I will weather further with pastels once the tie downs are applied.

Image

Image

And after a couple hours drying

Image


That's all I have for now. Thanks for looking.

Re: Eduard F6F-3 Hellcat 1/48

Posted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 2:38 am
by mincemeat
I really like your carrier deck idea! Great work!

Re: Eduard F6F-3 Hellcat 1/48

Posted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 3:03 am
by heel
Thanks!

I'm In the process of installing a drain down the middle with lead foil to hide that seam. The deck has been weathered with pastels now as well.

Re: Eduard F6F-3 Hellcat 1/48

Posted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 5:44 pm
by Nige201980
Loving the carrier deck mate.

Re: Eduard F6F-3 Hellcat 1/48

Posted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 2:08 pm
by planemaker
Superb work so far Heel! :clap: Great work on the carrier deck and figures too.

Re: Eduard F6F-3 Hellcat 1/48

Posted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 7:24 pm
by TonyCnyc
Nice work on the figures and the scratch built deck idea.

Re: Eduard F6F-3 Hellcat 1/48

Posted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 3:48 pm
by heel
:cheers2: guys. Thanks so much.

Here's the deck weathered with pastels.

Image

Image

Image

I then used Hershey kisses wraps down the seam. It was the thinnest malleable material I could scrounge.

Image

Painted it black. Masked for the stripe.

Image

Here's my inspiration

Image

And done with XF-1 a little white and buff to soften. Some oil stains added too.

Image

Figures are getting closer

Image

Landing gear on the Hellcat

Image

Image

Propeller chipped with prisms color

Image

And tie downs painted a mixture of flat aluminum and black

Image

Thanks for looking

Re: Eduard F6F-3 Hellcat 1/48

Posted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 4:15 pm
by Nige201980
Loving the carrier deck mate

Re: Eduard F6F-3 Hellcat 1/48

Posted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 4:20 pm
by Avgas
Superb work. I have this one in the stash so good to see how an expert does it first!

Re: Eduard F6F-3 Hellcat 1/48

Posted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 11:13 pm
by heel
Thank you guys very much. Let's get on with some more updates.

I used cardboard cutouts for shims under the tie downs.

Image

Image

Here it is halfway done.

Image

Tie downs will get some weathering. Now a mock to see where it stands.

Image

Image

Image

Image

Gloss coats for everything

Image

The tug kit comes with a black and white map. I decided to print one in color. The setting is the Marianas Islands.

Image

And the figures are 90% done

Image

Re: Eduard F6F-3 Hellcat 1/48

Posted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 11:46 pm
by rwsmith14
Carrier deck looks Great !! well Done ! :thumb2:

Re: Eduard F6F-3 Hellcat 1/48

Posted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 11:18 am
by Nige201980
Brilliant work mate.