Page 2 of 8

Re: Tamiya Enzo build

Posted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:33 pm
by Johnj
Thanks paul. The exhausts are lighter than in the pictures. I'll try to get one with natural light.

Re: Tamiya Enzo build

Posted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:40 pm
by exmoor
Yes john j i get the same problem with taking photos dont always do your build justice i suppose its anothier learning curve.

Re: Tamiya Enzo build

Posted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:44 pm
by Johnj
Yeah., photographs are a big part of these WIP threads. Something i struggle with paul

Re: Tamiya Enzo build

Posted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:47 pm
by exmoor
Ye same here sometimes i look at the photo and think its nothing like what am looking at lol

Re: Tamiya Enzo build

Posted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:03 pm
by Johnj
Lol i know what you mean

Re: Tamiya Enzo build

Posted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:51 pm
by Johnj
20170612_155057_zpsgz3bl7ng.jpg
20170612_162836_zpsnz6wydou.jpg
20170612_154331_zpsmp6l9afq.jpg
I'll let it dry for a couple of hours to see if the corners settle down.

Re: Tamiya Enzo build

Posted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:31 pm
by Johnj
This might be trickier
20170612_182917_zpswi7xy4o9.jpg

Re: Tamiya Enzo build

Posted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:40 pm
by Johnj
Doing that strip for the side in one piece was tough going not to get it doubled over on it's self. It would have been way easier to cut the attached pipes off as well.
20170612_203232_zpscadokq0j.jpg
20170612_203054_zpscayhqxmi.jpg
Just the bit at the front to do now. Hopefully the last of the wrinkles will dissapear overnight.

Re: Tamiya Enzo build

Posted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:31 pm
by Johnj
Ended up cutting the pipes off the front. It just makes life a lot easier.
20170612_212804_zps688w2gj3.jpg

Re: Tamiya Enzo build

Posted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:53 pm
by Twokidsnosleep
That is looking pretty darn good to me!!!

Re: Tamiya Enzo build

Posted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:43 pm
by RossiM1
Great job on that carbon decal Jon this is going to look really special mate

Re: Tamiya Enzo build

Posted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:26 pm
by Johnj
Thanks boys :thumb1: all the double curve pieces are on and looking ok so it's just a few small straight pieces and thats it done. I do feel a bit happier as i was really worried about how to decal the whole tub/chassis .

I've just had a txt msg from jadlam racing saying -your order will be delivered on the 13th. It's something i've been waiting on for a few months now so i'm like a kid at xmas just now :dance:
20170612_215846_zpsnpxklwvm.jpg
20170612_230201_zpsev9b04jh.jpg

Re: Tamiya Enzo build

Posted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:43 am
by Johnj
Paul wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:49 am Off to a great stat John, looking forward to seeing how this comes together :thumb2:
That was a good shout paul with the hobbycraft brushes for the micro sol and set. The brush it's self is perfect for pushing the decal into tight corners :thumb1:

Re: Tamiya Enzo build

Posted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:39 pm
by Johnj
I was trying to work out how much of the front was gonna be C/F as i was struggling to know where to start.
20170616_191933_zps0yisyduh.jpg
I thought the best way would be to mock up the front to see exactly what would be seen. I'm glad i did as it's very little thank goodness
20170616_192230_zpssdt35gbt.jpg

Re: Tamiya Enzo build

Posted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:51 pm
by Johnj
There is a note with the interior template set saying that only the basic parts are supplied ., but it covers way more than i though. Woohoo ! I suppose i should use the template set first so that would let me know what i have to make myself.
20170616_225516_zpswax2a0ev.jpg

Re: Tamiya Enzo build

Posted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 3:40 pm
by Johnj
This is taking an excruiating amount of time making these templates but at last i have enough to do up to the front of the access cover on the side of the monocoque. Still a bit to go but defo some light at the end of the tunnel !

Re: Tamiya Enzo build

Posted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 3:46 pm
by Johnj
20170617_150238_zpsjivszchb.jpg
20170617_152150_zpss7dmmo2x.jpg
20170617_150433_zps0z6851vs.jpg
It might have been easier just cutting the front sub frame off but it might have created as many issues as it solved.

Re: Tamiya Enzo build

Posted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 4:04 pm
by Twokidsnosleep
Coming along nicely John :thumb2:

Re: Tamiya Enzo build

Posted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 4:53 pm
by exmoor
Yes very nice coming along great

Re: Tamiya Enzo build

Posted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 11:38 pm
by Johnj
Thanks boys :thumb1: i do really appreciate the kind words of encouragement. I"ve got mixed feelings about all this extra C/F work. I doubt it will be that much more improved over an OOB build for all the extra hours, work and money thrown at it so far, but it"s not the only reason we do it. I think challenging our own skill level and pushing our current abillity tops trying to wow others with the finished model. After all, unless competition is your thing no one will probably ever see it in all it"s "glory"
20170617_213133_zpszezchoe7.jpg
20170617_221400_zpsj9pc3kff.jpg
20170617_230830_zpsiilv4nq9.jpg

Re: Tamiya Enzo build

Posted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 11:50 pm
by Johnj
I"m gonna keep the backing paper from every decal piece in case somebody else wants to go down this road. The masking tape templates are quite fragile and come apart easily. I dont know how it would go with copyright for the pieces that come from the pre-printed template set. I would be giving away and not selling backing paper that would usually be bound for the bin.

Re: Tamiya Enzo build

Posted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 1:23 am
by Johnj
I bought 6 sheets but i doubt i'll even use 2 !
20170618_002255_zpsargie3po.jpg

Re: Tamiya Enzo build

Posted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:12 pm
by Johnj
A few pics of todays work
20170618_140840_zpsdgb50s1i.jpg
20170618_165621_zpslctr104f.jpg
20170618_165531_zpswm1qhing.jpg

Re: Tamiya Enzo build

Posted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:34 pm
by exmoor
It's looking good John decals behaving now

Re: Tamiya Enzo build

Posted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:47 pm
by Johnj
exmoor wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:34 pm It's looking good John decals behaving now
Yeah., they are going down very well paul. I wonder if they're made by cartograph for scale motorsport., they're that good !
The last three pictures are not part of the template set.

Re: Tamiya Enzo build

Posted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:07 am
by Johnj
20170618_211234_zpsu6inehvy.jpg
Does anyone know what this cover made of ? I can only find one image and it"s been removed.

Re: Tamiya Enzo build

Posted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:27 am
by Johnj
20170618_235652_zpshfjtcdyw.jpg
This is the last of the 3D shapes.

Re: Tamiya Enzo build

Posted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:25 pm
by RossiM1
Cracking carbon decal work there John, I think that cover you asked about is an aluminium cover there are a few almuminium inspection covers on the undertray that allow access to things like the gearbox drain plug and various sensors.
This will be stunning when done mate :bow::

Re: Tamiya Enzo build

Posted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:55 pm
by Johnj
RossiM1 wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:25 pm Cracking carbon decal work there John, I think that cover you asked about is an aluminium cover there are a few almuminium inspection covers on the undertray that allow access to things like the gearbox drain plug and various sensors.
This will be stunning when done mate :bow::
Thanks gary :thumb1: i think those covers could be crying out for some bare metal foil.

Re: Tamiya Enzo build

Posted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:58 am
by Johnj
I think that should be far enough into the footwells.
20170619_205846_zps58mnw3sq.jpg

Re: Tamiya Enzo build

Posted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:50 pm
by Johnj
This could be the new trickiest part to decal lol
20170620_234807_zpsj2vwhisn.jpg

Re: Tamiya Enzo build

Posted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:41 pm
by Johnj
20170622_183416_zpsbbqoki4q.jpg
Getting the hang of this template caper.

Re: Tamiya Enzo build

Posted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:32 am
by Johnj
I ordered a couple of sheets of 1/12 scale but it's barely noticeable. I was hoping to get a bit of contrast with the different size of weave maybe on the outside of the wheel wells in the engine compartment.
20170623_002817_zpset5spwl5.jpg

Re: Tamiya Enzo build

Posted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:53 am
by Twokidsnosleep
Boy, you are deep into this
I dont envy you, but it will make the car look AWESOME!!

Re: Tamiya Enzo build

Posted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:12 am
by Johnj
Oh scott. What have i got myself into here. It seemed a good idea at the time ! I hope your right with the awesome thing lol

Re: Tamiya Enzo build

Posted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:46 am
by Twokidsnosleep
Johnj wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:12 am Oh scott. What have i got myself into here. It seemed a good idea at the time ! I hope your right with the awesome thing lol
Ya, I feel the same way with addding all the PE to my build...I have to destroy that to make it look better??!!
You are doing great, just keep up the battle, are making progress :thumb2:

Re: Tamiya Enzo build

Posted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:24 am
by Johnj
I'm like the T2N range of detail parts but i've struggled to get them this time, the only vendor i could find was an ebay seller in china but i've got an uneasy felling about him so i have ordered only £15 worth to see how things go.
I'm gonna re do the fuel rails and these parts are ideal.
Screenshot_20170623-081117_zpsjwuyg1xd.png
Screenshot_20170623-080929_zpso2ujwqsx.png

Re: Tamiya Enzo build

Posted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:41 pm
by Johnj
I need the interior part of the chassis with the seat back, in place so i can get that seam glued and filled to be able to finish off the carbon fibre which does come with the template set.
20170623_191219_zpse4stofso.jpg
20170623_192100_zpsclett9nl.jpg
The seam at the triangle bit will have to stay
20170623_191307_zpsri8f9kxt.jpg

Re: Tamiya Enzo build

Posted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:06 pm
by RossiM1
Brilliant job Jon all that carbon decal work will make this a stunner :th:

Re: Tamiya Enzo build

Posted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:29 pm
by Johnj
Ah, thanks gary and scott :thumb1: the positive and encouraging comments are a big help with the motivation which is becoming a bit of an issue. I think i'll feel a bit better when the decals are done and clear coated. Then i can get on with actually putting the car together :thumb1:

Re: Tamiya Enzo build

Posted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:34 pm
by Johnj
This stuff is superb. Cant believe it's taken me so long to try it !
20170623_223118_zpscie8lqd4.jpg

Re: Tamiya Enzo build

Posted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:38 pm
by exmoor
Looking good keep meaning to get some of that primer

Re: Tamiya Enzo build

Posted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:30 pm
by Johnj
exmoor wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:38 pm Looking good keep meaning to get some of that primer
Paul, i must have had that bottle of primer for probably 5 years. Dont know what i was thinking about lol.

Re: Tamiya Enzo build

Posted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:44 pm
by exmoor
I do the same thing I order stuff just to find i already got it .the funny thing is I wait for it to come then realise it's on my shelf.

Re: Tamiya Enzo build

Posted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:54 am
by Twokidsnosleep
Johnj wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:34 pm This stuff is superb. Cant believe it's taken me so long to try it !20170623_223118_zpscie8lqd4.jpg
It is like a thin paintable filler, ya??
Mr Surfacer 1000 is similar stuff I think maybe a bit thicker

Re: Tamiya Enzo build

Posted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:15 am
by Johnj
Twokidsnosleep wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:54 am
Johnj wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:34 pm This stuff is superb. Cant believe it's taken me so long to try it !20170623_223118_zpscie8lqd4.jpg
It is like a thin paintable filler, ya??
Mr Surfacer 1000 is similar stuff I think maybe a bit thicker
Yeah., Just brush it on scott. I'm gonna try spraying it.

Re: Tamiya Enzo build

Posted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:46 am
by Twokidsnosleep
Johnj wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:15 am
Twokidsnosleep wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:54 am
Johnj wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:34 pm This stuff is superb. Cant believe it's taken me so long to try it !20170623_223118_zpscie8lqd4.jpg
It is like a thin paintable filler, ya??
Mr Surfacer 1000 is similar stuff I think maybe a bit thicker
Yeah., Just brush it on scott. I'm gonna try spraying it.
I have sprayed the white Mr Surfacer stuff on a Phantom I did with the Thunderbird colours
It worked like a charm
Have your cellulose thinners ready on hand to clean the air brush immediately

Re: Tamiya Enzo build

Posted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:00 pm
by Johnj
The liquid primer sanded a treat.
Yeah, i have an oldish airbrush i would use plus as you say a bucket of celly thinners !
20170624_124128_zps6yba2fyi.jpg

Re: Tamiya Enzo build

Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:02 am
by Johnj
Another 30hrs since friday evening into this decaling allthough it's almost there now. A few pics of the weekend's work.
20170624_145110_zpshy7vteiz.jpg
20170624_145425_zps03khqdve.jpg
20170625_023750_zpsd3olxyza.jpg

Re: Tamiya Enzo build

Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:05 am
by Johnj
20170625_171820_zpsdcz9fpjs.jpg
20170625_184355_zpsxnzupung.jpg
20170625_195123_zpscpkvph1h.jpg