Page 2 of 4
Re: FAA Airfix 1/72nd Sea King
Posted: Sat May 06, 2017 3:39 pm
by Twokidsnosleep
Actually modelled last night!!
Working on the cockpit. Added some brass doodads to the copilot's seat...you can see the unmolested pilot's seat in the right. Made some brass skirting for around the console, primed up in Ultimate grey, clogged my airbrush cleaning it and test fitted the cool PE control panel. I can see some diffused light coming through there.
Nice day today so likely outside work.
Then will get to the PE foot pedals and some more details like pipes and wires and such tonight
Crap I just found a huge interior Eduard PE set waaaaaayyyy more detail than mine

I cannot rationalize over $40 CAD for the PE and then additional robbery of $25-30 for shipping...photo etch...which is flat...goes in an envelope..would cost like a buck to two sent as a letter. Absolute theivery

Re: FAA Airfix 1/72nd Sea King
Posted: Tue May 09, 2017 6:06 pm
by Twokidsnosleep
Progressed with the seats...god I am so slow.
Just added brass bits and bobs to replicate the seat support and trimmed the seat to look like a cushion

I have real commercial PE for the seat belts to go on...soon
Re: FAA Airfix 1/72nd Sea King
Posted: Tue May 09, 2017 6:11 pm
by Lysus
Me likey! About to do some cockpit work myself and I get cross-eyed just thinking about it.
Re: FAA Airfix 1/72nd Sea King
Posted: Tue May 09, 2017 6:25 pm
by Twokidsnosleep
Lysus wrote: Tue May 09, 2017 6:11 pm
Me likey! About to do some cockpit work myself and I get cross-eyed just thinking about it.
Oh yeah, 1/72 really is trying on the peepers
If I want to sell an extra kidney or testicle, I could order this PE kit
It is awesome, but maybe a bit over the top. I will just use it as a guide and make a few odds and ends
Re: FAA Airfix 1/72nd Sea King
Posted: Tue May 09, 2017 8:30 pm
by jnbattleship
looking amazing so far. The drum for the dipping sonar looks almost steampunk when bare PE.

Re: FAA Airfix 1/72nd Sea King
Posted: Tue May 09, 2017 8:33 pm
by Lysus
jnbattleship wrote: Tue May 09, 2017 8:30 pm
looking amazing so far. The drum for the dipping sonar looks almost steampunk when bare PE.
Was just about to say the same thing! That interior looks downright steampunk to me.
Re: FAA Airfix 1/72nd Sea King
Posted: Tue May 09, 2017 10:52 pm
by TheTroyster
Oh man this is way way beyond my skill level/patience level - looking at this is kind of mind boggling - looking great.
Re: FAA Airfix 1/72nd Sea King
Posted: Wed May 10, 2017 11:15 pm
by Twokidsnosleep
TheTroyster wrote: Tue May 09, 2017 10:52 pm
Oh man this is way way beyond my skill level/patience level - looking at this is kind of mind boggling - looking great.
Oh I think you can easily do this!
Ya that is a ton of crazy PE, mine will be a watered down version for sure
1/72 is blindingly small though and the small set of PE I have is challenging .
Re: FAA Airfix 1/72nd Sea King
Posted: Thu May 11, 2017 6:51 pm
by Twokidsnosleep
Third weeknight in a row no time or energy to model

Re: FAA Airfix 1/72nd Sea King
Posted: Thu May 11, 2017 9:56 pm
by TommyKillander
Great job sofar with the cockpit
That PE set.... PE in 1/72 doesn't normally scare me - but that looks intimidating
Third weeknight in a row no time or energy to model
Yeah, it's a bummer... But you will get there - there's lot of time left in this SIG.
Myself I try to avoid modelling when I'm tired or under timepressure - it will only kill the mojo and the result is bad aswell.
I can wait; my builds take forever anyway....
Tommy
Re: FAA Airfix 1/72nd Sea King
Posted: Sat May 13, 2017 9:45 pm
by Twokidsnosleep
Some Saturday morning modelling
Opening up the crew door. Going to be a challenge as the bulkhead guides are in the way...of course
Some home made doo-dads to dress up the first bulkhead behind the pilots
I sprayed the interior floor Ultimate grey primer and then the wall and bulkhead got a Ultimate primer mixture 3:1 grey to white. This gave a nice light sea grey IMHO
Re: FAA Airfix 1/72nd Sea King
Posted: Sat May 13, 2017 9:51 pm
by Lysus
"Saturday morning modeling" is a phrase that sounds like complete bliss...like wining the lottery. I desire Saturday morning modeling like...like...well, like winning a lottery.
Your do-dads are AWESOME.
Re: FAA Airfix 1/72nd Sea King
Posted: Sat May 13, 2017 10:00 pm
by wappynutter
Super stuff Scott, well done mate.

love the extra details.
All the best.

Re: FAA Airfix 1/72nd Sea King
Posted: Sun May 14, 2017 12:40 am
by Twokidsnosleep
wappynutter wrote: Sat May 13, 2017 10:00 pm
Super stuff Scott, well done mate.

love the extra details.
All the best.
Ha ha , haven't hear from you in AGES!!!
Thanks Andy, great to see you online

Re: FAA Airfix 1/72nd Sea King
Posted: Sun May 14, 2017 12:45 am
by Twokidsnosleep
Lysus wrote: Sat May 13, 2017 9:51 pm
"Saturday morning modeling" is a phrase that sounds like complete bliss...like wining the lottery. I desire Saturday morning modeling like...like...well, like winning a lottery.
Your do-dads are AWESOME.
Indeed, wrt my do-dads

Re: FAA Airfix 1/72nd Sea King
Posted: Sun May 14, 2017 1:49 am
by GuyMac
Re: FAA Airfix 1/72nd Sea King
Posted: Sun May 14, 2017 3:41 am
by Twokidsnosleep

Guy
Re: FAA Airfix 1/72nd Sea King
Posted: Sun May 14, 2017 12:05 pm
by TommyKillander
THAT is some serious stuff going on - awesome work!
Tommy
Re: FAA Airfix 1/72nd Sea King
Posted: Mon May 15, 2017 2:45 am
by Twokidsnosleep
Thanks Tommy

bud
I just need a week off work and chores and I might get some decent progress
Got the crew door off the side so can use the PE to make the steps
Then I played with my SMD led lights. Here it is in the nose spotlight turned on. I will do one for each side and maybe green for the cockpit instruments
Oh and I got the seatbelt PE in

Re: FAA Airfix 1/72nd Sea King
Posted: Mon May 15, 2017 5:53 am
by Lysus
Did you fly back to Hawaii to work on this? So bright in there...much sun...
Your skill with the little things always amazes me.
Re: FAA Airfix 1/72nd Sea King
Posted: Mon May 15, 2017 5:59 am
by Twokidsnosleep
Lysus wrote: Mon May 15, 2017 5:53 am
Did you fly back to Hawaii to work on this? So bright in there...much sun...
Your skill with the little things always amazes me.
It is kinda what I do

it is why my darn neck is so sore all the time...bent over peering at small things
These surface mount lights are super cool, very stoked about them
Re: FAA Airfix 1/72nd Sea King
Posted: Mon May 15, 2017 10:24 pm
by RossiM1
This is looking insane Scott incredible detail work there my friend, cant wait to see more.

Re: FAA Airfix 1/72nd Sea King
Posted: Mon May 15, 2017 11:20 pm
by Twokidsnosleep
RossiM1 wrote: Mon May 15, 2017 10:24 pm
This is looking insane Scott incredible detail work there my friend, cant wait to see more.
Kind words my friend, thank you

Re: FAA Airfix 1/72nd Sea King
Posted: Tue May 16, 2017 5:01 pm
by jnbattleship
Coming together bright and right

Re: FAA Airfix 1/72nd Sea King
Posted: Tue May 16, 2017 5:06 pm
by Twokidsnosleep
jnbattleship wrote: Tue May 16, 2017 5:01 pm
Coming together bright and right

thanks
Re: FAA Airfix 1/72nd Sea King
Posted: Wed May 17, 2017 4:05 pm
by Twokidsnosleep
Fell asleep at the desk last night listening to the final Tuesday show on repeat
No progress unfortunately
I dont do well on the weeknights
Re: FAA Airfix 1/72nd Sea King
Posted: Fri May 19, 2017 8:41 am
by Twokidsnosleep
Got some good bench time tonight and assembled the majority of the cockpit
Now those that have seen my builds know that I follow precisely along with the instructions..."By the book Scott" they call me, yep, no deviations or sinful upgrades.
Glued the seats and the console in just like the instructions say And then, well I might have added a couple bits to fill in the space....just a few parts to make it look a bit better
Those dials and things are old watch parts purchased from eBay...super cheap but make great dash accoutrements
Might repaint the floor for those glue runs...me and the CA glue were not one with each other tonight
Ok there we go, right out of the box

ish
Re: FAA Airfix 1/72nd Sea King
Posted: Wed May 24, 2017 5:13 pm
by Twokidsnosleep
Planning view inside through crew access door
Large cabinet, medical box and fire extinguisher rouged out in brass

Re: FAA Airfix 1/72nd Sea King
Posted: Wed May 24, 2017 6:17 pm
by jnbattleship
pretty nice, you have set a very high standard here

Re: FAA Airfix 1/72nd Sea King
Posted: Wed May 24, 2017 6:29 pm
by Twokidsnosleep
jnbattleship wrote: Wed May 24, 2017 6:17 pm
pretty nice, you have set a very high standard here
Thanks, what a nice thing to say...you made my day

Re: FAA Airfix 1/72nd Sea King
Posted: Wed May 24, 2017 7:21 pm
by Lysus
Dude...
Dude.
That's awesome.

Re: FAA Airfix 1/72nd Sea King
Posted: Wed May 24, 2017 7:27 pm
by Twokidsnosleep
Lysus wrote: Wed May 24, 2017 7:21 pm
Dude...
Dude.
That's awesome.
Thank you
So simple: Razor saw, bag of brass and aluminum off cuts and away we go.
I got that bag in the States as well... gotta think where in Washington State

Re: FAA Airfix 1/72nd Sea King
Posted: Wed May 24, 2017 10:57 pm
by RossiM1

why didn't Airfix put all those bits on the instructions whats a bloke supposed to do? guess where they go ? good job you used your artistic licence Scott I bet it's not far off accurate knowing what a stickler you are for things being just so
But seriously mate just freakin awesome, oops, almost sounded Yankee then

Re: FAA Airfix 1/72nd Sea King
Posted: Wed May 24, 2017 11:15 pm
by Twokidsnosleep
RossiM1 wrote: Wed May 24, 2017 10:57 pm

why didn't Airfix put all those bits on the instructions whats a bloke supposed to do? guess where they go ? good job you used your artistic licence Scott I bet it's not far off accurate knowing what a stickler you are for things being just so
But seriously mate just freakin awesome, oops, almost sounded Yankee then
Thank you sir.
Yes a little research and yes a LOT of artistic license.
The good thing is when a modelling subject has lots of variation, you can get away with adding a detail that 'looks about right'
Every photo I look at Sea Kings seems to have different things inside them, definitely not a standard configuration...that works in my favour

Re: FAA Airfix 1/72nd Sea King
Posted: Wed May 24, 2017 11:43 pm
by Lysus
Twokidsnosleep wrote: Wed May 24, 2017 11:15 pm
RossiM1 wrote: Wed May 24, 2017 10:57 pm

why didn't Airfix put all those bits on the instructions whats a bloke supposed to do? guess where they go ? good job you used your artistic licence Scott I bet it's not far off accurate knowing what a stickler you are for things being just so
But seriously mate just freakin awesome, oops, almost sounded Yankee then
Thank you sir.
Yes a little research and yes a LOT of artistic license.
The good thing is when a modelling subject has lots of variation, you can get away with adding a detail that 'looks about right'
Every photo I look at Sea Kings seems to have different things inside them, definitely not a standard configuration...that works in my favour
Any of them have a keg-erator?
Re: FAA Airfix 1/72nd Sea King
Posted: Thu May 25, 2017 1:02 am
by Twokidsnosleep
Lysus wrote: Wed May 24, 2017 11:43 pm
Twokidsnosleep wrote: Wed May 24, 2017 11:15 pm
RossiM1 wrote: Wed May 24, 2017 10:57 pm

why didn't Airfix put all those bits on the instructions whats a bloke supposed to do? guess where they go ? good job you used your artistic licence Scott I bet it's not far off accurate knowing what a stickler you are for things being just so
But seriously mate just freakin awesome, oops, almost sounded Yankee then
Thank you sir.
Yes a little research and yes a LOT of artistic license.
The good thing is when a modelling subject has lots of variation, you can get away with adding a detail that 'looks about right'
Every photo I look at Sea Kings seems to have different things inside them, definitely not a standard configuration...that works in my favour
Any of them have a keg-erator?
One had an instant hot water supply right behind the cockpit opening...probably for tea no doubt
Re: FAA Airfix 1/72nd Sea King
Posted: Sun May 28, 2017 12:12 am
by Twokidsnosleep
Finally some quiet time...HOT Saturday afternoon too warm to be in the sun and everyone else out shopping
So I didn't nap, I modelled! Cabinet, first aid box, flashlight and fire extinguisher all out of brass bits.
The Ultimate white shot fine for me, some others were having problems...THIN layers is the key
Are fire extinguishers red in the UK??...cannot find an internal reference photo for U.K. Bird, only Canadian
The flashlight,or torch if you please, will be yellow
That fire extinguisher is too big...have another smaller scale made
Re: FAA Airfix 1/72nd Sea King
Posted: Sun May 28, 2017 1:24 pm
by RossiM1
Looking bang on there Scott extinguishers are Red first aid is green in the UK mainly mate and flash lights are what ever the pound discount store has in stock

Re: FAA Airfix 1/72nd Sea King
Posted: Sun May 28, 2017 3:21 pm
by Twokidsnosleep
RossiM1 wrote: Sun May 28, 2017 1:24 pm
Looking bang on there Scott extinguishers are Red first aid is green in the UK mainly mate and flash lights are what ever the pound discount store has in stock
Green hey...you are an odd lot
Thanks for the info
First aid box now Tamiya clear green with white cross, Testors dull coat and Ultimate dirt wash
Re: FAA Airfix 1/72nd Sea King
Posted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 5:21 pm
by Twokidsnosleep
OMG I am so slow
The interior was supposed to be finished last weekend so I could button up the chopper and work on the outside and diorama over June
But no, more details to add and wiring and and and......
Anyhow, here is how it sits now
A little jump seat added just behind cockpit entrance, red fire extinguisher, green first aid box and two of the windows detailed with yellow surrounds. I did some brass dividers on the floor as well.
Thinking about a stretcher on the wall, seating and maybe some wall ribbing/supports
Going to push myself this weekend to try and get her interior detailed and buttoned up
Re: FAA Airfix 1/72nd Sea King
Posted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:12 pm
by Twokidsnosleep
Little bit of a setback over the weekend due to my impatience.
I CA glued in the floor as I was tired of it flopping around when test fitting. Problem was I hadn't put in the window by the pilot's feet
Nor some of the PE parts down there

Nor aligned it very well laterally
So I have torn it apart and have some back tracking to do. But some cool PE added now and wall details starting
"Film at 11" as they say in the News

Re: FAA Airfix 1/72nd Sea King
Posted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:27 pm
by Lysus
Ugh...I hate that moment when you realize what you've done.
I'm sure your comeback will be glorious!
Re: FAA Airfix 1/72nd Sea King
Posted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:07 pm
by TommyKillander
Great job done sofar!
I'm sure that you will fix the floor and get it all together with a great (or even greater) result.
Tommy
Re: FAA Airfix 1/72nd Sea King
Posted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:30 pm
by Twokidsnosleep
TommyKillander wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:07 pm
Great job done sofar!
I'm sure that you will fix the floor and get it all together with a great (or even greater) result.
Tommy
Yep, stuff happens for a reason most times...and I didn't destroy things too much dis-assembling amazingly enough.
You guys will have a laugh at my latest artistic license for the port wall stuff

Re: FAA Airfix 1/72nd Sea King
Posted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:30 am
by Twokidsnosleep
Apparently I am making a full interior....don't ask why, I don't know
Test fitting some more wall covers made from matting material..ie paper
I like the black wall cover as is and will layer it on both sides, especially where I got the window at the pilot's feet in and the metal support rod from the PE placed...huge details I missed the first time I glued the floor in. I have to stay a bit more patient.
Progress, but only three weekends to go

Re: FAA Airfix 1/72nd Sea King
Posted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:59 pm
by Twokidsnosleep
Forgot the outside view pic of the PE metal support....my favourite view of a chopper model for some reason
Primed Ultimate white, edges of openings brushed Tamiya Yellow before windows inserted and in anticipation of a lot of masking for a big yellow spray job
Seams are going to be interesting with all that fine raised detail
Inside view of crew door area...it was all just smooth plastic before

Re: FAA Airfix 1/72nd Sea King
Posted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:01 am
by ElCapitan
Looks great Scott! I've always admired the yellow Sea Kings. Shame we no longer use them

Re: FAA Airfix 1/72nd Sea King
Posted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 3:56 pm
by Twokidsnosleep
ElCapitan wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:01 am
Looks great Scott! I've always admired the yellow Sea Kings. Shame we no longer use them
Only Canada holds onto aviation technology until it literally falls out of the sky
Thank you mon Capitan
Re: FAA Airfix 1/72nd Sea King
Posted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 1:50 am
by Fridgy
Looking great scott

Re: FAA Airfix 1/72nd Sea King
Posted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 3:14 am
by Twokidsnosleep
Fridgy wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2017 1:50 am
Looking great scott

Mick and thanks