Sherline Lathe…unbox, setup and projects

User avatar
MrBowcat
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Posts: 828
Joined: Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:34 pm
Location: London
England

Re: Sherline Lathe…unbox, setup and projects

Post by MrBowcat »

Carbide insert tools, I use them for everything. I have some HSS but rarely use them.
Si vis pacem, para bellum
NoelSmith
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class
Posts: 326
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2015 2:35 pm
Great Britain

Re: Sherline Lathe…unbox, setup and projects

Post by NoelSmith »

Scott, your Sherline Mini Lathe is a great investment, and you will find many uses for it in your model making endeavours. Once you get really used to it and looking at your previous posts you are already getting quite competent with the machine, the potential for scratch building models will be very obvious to you.
If you have not bought it already, I would suggest Joe Martin's book about Miniature Machining. He is CEO of Sherline and his book contains a wealth of information for anyone buying a miniature lathe whether a Sherline of other make. It will be on their website.
I have a little Unimat 4 machine. Very similar to the Sherline that I bought a number of years ago and it has proved invaluable in my model making.
I wish you well with your new machine. It will prove to be one of your best ever investments and will enable many more small engineering projects like the ones you have already been using it for.
User avatar
Twokidsnosleep
General
General
Posts: 18481
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:07 pm
Location: BC,Canada
Canada

Re: Sherline Lathe…unbox, setup and projects

Post by Twokidsnosleep »

NoelSmith wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 10:15 am Scott, your Sherline Mini Lathe is a great investment, and you will find many uses for it in your model making endeavours. Once you get really used to it and looking at your previous posts you are already getting quite competent with the machine, the potential for scratch building models will be very obvious to you.
If you have not bought it already, I would suggest Joe Martin's book about Miniature Machining. He is CEO of Sherline and his book contains a wealth of information for anyone buying a miniature lathe whether a Sherline of other make. It will be on their website.
I have a little Unimat 4 machine. Very similar to the Sherline that I bought a number of years ago and it has proved invaluable in my model making.
I wish you well with your new machine. It will prove to be one of your best ever investments and will enable many more small engineering projects like the ones you have already been using it for.
:cheers2:
Thanks mate
So much to learn
Scott

On, Under or near the desk
Mr Tamiya Memorial build...Alfa Romeo Bt-46
NoelSmith
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class
Posts: 326
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2015 2:35 pm
Great Britain

Re: Sherline Lathe…unbox, setup and projects

Post by NoelSmith »

We live and learn all the time Scott!

I did a coach tour of BC a few years back from Vancouver out to Banff, across to Prince Edward, the inland passage and on to Victoria. It was my most memorable holiday. What a spectacular part of the world you live in for grand scenery. Do you live in Vancouver, Victoria or somewhere else in BC?
User avatar
Twokidsnosleep
General
General
Posts: 18481
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:07 pm
Location: BC,Canada
Canada

Re: Sherline Lathe…unbox, setup and projects

Post by Twokidsnosleep »

NoelSmith wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 9:41 am We live and learn all the time Scott!

I did a coach tour of BC a few years back from Vancouver out to Banff, across to Prince Edward, the inland passage and on to Victoria. It was my most memorable holiday. What a spectacular part of the world you live in for grand scenery. Do you live in Vancouver, Victoria or somewhere else in BC?
I am in Burnaby, the first suburb that borders with Vancouver
You have probably seen more of BC than I have!
Scott

On, Under or near the desk
Mr Tamiya Memorial build...Alfa Romeo Bt-46
NoelSmith
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class
Posts: 326
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2015 2:35 pm
Great Britain

Re: Sherline Lathe…unbox, setup and projects

Post by NoelSmith »

Vancouver is a lovely city from what I saw from my few days stopover there. We stayed at the Empire Landmark and had a last evening meal in their rotating Cloud Nine Restaurant that gave us spectacular views over the city and ocean.

Our coach driver was an English guy who lives in the Surrey suburb. I think he was relieved to have one English couple on the coach to relate to. The coach was mostly made up of German, Austrian and Dutch people and we had some good times and interesting conversations with our travelling companions.

It is amazing what you don't go to see in your own area. There is much of the UK that I have not seen either.

I am drifting from the core subject of this thread and will be following your Sherline projects with interest, so looking forward to reading your further posts.
User avatar
Twokidsnosleep
General
General
Posts: 18481
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:07 pm
Location: BC,Canada
Canada

Re: Sherline Lathe…unbox, setup and projects

Post by Twokidsnosleep »

So some lathe birthday gift loot to show…gotta love sending a wish list link to your wife

Extra drive belt
Image

She got me the delux collet set in a wood box :shock: Awesome!!! :banana: :banana: :banana:
Image

Image

So these allow you to put round stock repeatedly into the lathe @ dead Center repeatably with good gription and less mucking about
Scott

On, Under or near the desk
Mr Tamiya Memorial build...Alfa Romeo Bt-46
User avatar
digger303
General
General
Posts: 16667
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:01 am
Location: Western Australia
Australia

Re: Sherline Lathe…unbox, setup and projects

Post by digger303 »

Twokidsnosleep wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 5:28 am So some lathe birthday gift loot to show…gotta love sending a wish list link to your wife

She got me the delux collet set in a wood box :shock: Awesome!!! :banana: :banana: :banana:
Image

So these allow you to put round stock repeatedly into the lathe @ dead Center repeatably with good gription and less mucking about
lovely acquisition..very useful
A nice wipe over with gun oil will help preserve them from surface rust.
:cheers2:
Listen and appear wise
Image
Image

scalemates stash https://www.scalemates.com/profiles/mat ... ION[]=Kits
Image
User avatar
MrBowcat
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Posts: 828
Joined: Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:34 pm
Location: London
England

Re: Sherline Lathe…unbox, setup and projects

Post by MrBowcat »

Nice collets.
Si vis pacem, para bellum
User avatar
Twokidsnosleep
General
General
Posts: 18481
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:07 pm
Location: BC,Canada
Canada

Re: Sherline Lathe…unbox, setup and projects

Post by Twokidsnosleep »

digger303 wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 7:53 am
Twokidsnosleep wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 5:28 am So some lathe birthday gift loot to show…gotta love sending a wish list link to your wife

She got me the delux collet set in a wood box :shock: Awesome!!! :banana: :banana: :banana:
Image

So these allow you to put round stock repeatedly into the lathe @ dead Center repeatably with good gription and less mucking about
lovely acquisition..very useful
A nice wipe over with gun oil will help preserve them from surface rust.
:cheers2:
Oooh I better do that. Haven’t touched the lathe since September
Scott

On, Under or near the desk
Mr Tamiya Memorial build...Alfa Romeo Bt-46
User avatar
MrBowcat
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Posts: 828
Joined: Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:34 pm
Location: London
England

Re: Sherline Lathe…unbox, setup and projects

Post by MrBowcat »

I usually just use way oil for the chucks, tailstock, centres, etc. You've probably already got some on hand for the lathe ways, right?
Si vis pacem, para bellum
User avatar
Twokidsnosleep
General
General
Posts: 18481
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:07 pm
Location: BC,Canada
Canada

Re: Sherline Lathe…unbox, setup and projects

Post by Twokidsnosleep »

MrBowcat wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 3:39 pm I usually just use way oil for the chucks, tailstock, centres, etc. You've probably already got some on hand for the lathe ways, right?
Yes
It is a good reminder to give the lathe some winter love and protection
Mind you I have the little heater on in there at about 12C and it is insulated so it keeps things above the dew point
Scott

On, Under or near the desk
Mr Tamiya Memorial build...Alfa Romeo Bt-46
User avatar
digger303
General
General
Posts: 16667
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:01 am
Location: Western Australia
Australia

Re: Sherline Lathe…unbox, setup and projects

Post by digger303 »

Been a while since anything was submitted to this thread, but here goes.

I recently acquired this set of F clamps from
https://www.rebell.com/tools/pincetter/ ... g-x-3.html
Unknown to all of us these are a 3d printed copy of the original clamps. However they aren't a faithful exact copy.
Image
As you can see they are slightly smaller in size They open about 12mm less across the jaws and the jaws are 17mm short. While not sounding a lot and it may seem I'm going on about nothing it does make a difference and at a cost of 13 bucks each. I just assumed they would be the same size as the ones I had . There was no size in the listing, so maybe my fault for not asking.
Also the rubber grips keep falling off. They just won't stick.
Despite all this They work just as well as the originals this is just a heads up is all.
Listen and appear wise
Image
Image

scalemates stash https://www.scalemates.com/profiles/mat ... ION[]=Kits
Image
User avatar
Twokidsnosleep
General
General
Posts: 18481
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:07 pm
Location: BC,Canada
Canada

Re: Sherline Lathe…unbox, setup and projects

Post by Twokidsnosleep »

Need to add in some projects here

Teak wood chopstick




Black Pearl ship masts removal of moulded rope forms and replacement with real scale ropes



Image
Scott

On, Under or near the desk
Mr Tamiya Memorial build...Alfa Romeo Bt-46
User avatar
Twokidsnosleep
General
General
Posts: 18481
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:07 pm
Location: BC,Canada
Canada

Re: Sherline Lathe…unbox, setup and projects

Post by Twokidsnosleep »

Then for the Black Pearl again, some round dead eyes for rope attachment on the ship’s hull



Image

Image

Image

So far this has been a really useful addition as a modelling tool
Scott

On, Under or near the desk
Mr Tamiya Memorial build...Alfa Romeo Bt-46
User avatar
digger303
General
General
Posts: 16667
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:01 am
Location: Western Australia
Australia

Re: Sherline Lathe…unbox, setup and projects

Post by digger303 »

That's a very good out come then. Nothing like buying something useless to rob you of fun and I've done it.
:cheers2:
Listen and appear wise
Image
Image

scalemates stash https://www.scalemates.com/profiles/mat ... ION[]=Kits
Image
User avatar
Stokesy44
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
Posts: 9093
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:13 am
Location: The Midlands, UK
Great Britain

Re: Sherline Lathe…unbox, setup and projects

Post by Stokesy44 »

Superb work. Cant believe the tools you are bringing to the hobby :clap: :clap:
Its been tried and tested, it works! So don't blame the system if you're no good. :doh:
User avatar
MrBowcat
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Posts: 828
Joined: Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:34 pm
Location: London
England

Re: Sherline Lathe…unbox, setup and projects

Post by MrBowcat »

Looking good Scott.

I'm sure you probably have, but make sure you clean the ways well after cutting wood or using any abrasives. Both can be harmful to the machined surfaces. ;)
Si vis pacem, para bellum
User avatar
Twokidsnosleep
General
General
Posts: 18481
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:07 pm
Location: BC,Canada
Canada

Re: Sherline Lathe…unbox, setup and projects

Post by Twokidsnosleep »

MrBowcat wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 3:26 pm Looking good Scott.

I'm sure you probably have, but make sure you clean the ways well after cutting wood or using any abrasives. Both can be harmful to the machined surfaces. ;)
Indeed
A really good reminder though, she needs a good rub down and oil up after all the wood stuff is finished
Scott

On, Under or near the desk
Mr Tamiya Memorial build...Alfa Romeo Bt-46
User avatar
MrBowcat
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Posts: 828
Joined: Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:34 pm
Location: London
England

Re: Sherline Lathe…unbox, setup and projects

Post by MrBowcat »

I was chasing zero's myself this weekend. I made an adapter for one of my rifles so I could change the barrel thread from 1/2 UNF to 1/2 UNEF for a moderator (suppressor).

A simple enough operation, but as a bullets going to be going through the hole in the middle it was critical to make sure the concentricity was as close to dead on as possible when the part was flipped. Managed to get it to within 0.005mm (five thousandths of a millimetre).
Si vis pacem, para bellum
User avatar
Twokidsnosleep
General
General
Posts: 18481
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:07 pm
Location: BC,Canada
Canada

Re: Sherline Lathe…unbox, setup and projects

Post by Twokidsnosleep »

MrBowcat wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 4:25 pm I was chasing zero's myself this weekend. I made an adapter for one of my rifles so I could change the barrel thread from 1/2 UNF to 1/2 UNEF for a moderator (suppressor).

A simple enough operation, but as a bullets going to be going through the hole in the middle it was critical to make sure the concentricity was as close to dead on as possible when the part was flipped. Managed to get it to within 0.005mm (five thousandths of a millimetre).
Ya wow that's good machining
I wouldn't be able to do that
Scott

On, Under or near the desk
Mr Tamiya Memorial build...Alfa Romeo Bt-46
User avatar
MrBowcat
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Posts: 828
Joined: Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:34 pm
Location: London
England

Re: Sherline Lathe…unbox, setup and projects

Post by MrBowcat »

Give it time, it's taken me two years to get this far.
Si vis pacem, para bellum
User avatar
Twokidsnosleep
General
General
Posts: 18481
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:07 pm
Location: BC,Canada
Canada

Re: Sherline Lathe…unbox, setup and projects

Post by Twokidsnosleep »

Some lathe made aluminum parts for the Ford coupe build

Shifter Piston head
Image

Image

Engine Pulleys
Image

Image

ImageImageImageImage
Scott

On, Under or near the desk
Mr Tamiya Memorial build...Alfa Romeo Bt-46
User avatar
MrBowcat
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Posts: 828
Joined: Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:34 pm
Location: London
England

Re: Sherline Lathe…unbox, setup and projects

Post by MrBowcat »

Very nice Scott.

You know you can get perfect hole patterns with a mill, DRO and PCD function? Just saying (that it's a good excuse to buy a mill). :D
Si vis pacem, para bellum
User avatar
bfrd
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 1993
Joined: Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:43 am
Location: Carrollton, TX
Contact:
United States of America

Re: Sherline Lathe…unbox, setup and projects

Post by bfrd »

MrBowcat wrote: Tue Sep 16, 2025 4:18 pm Very nice Scott.

You know you can get perfect hole patterns with a mill, DRO and PCD function? Just saying (that it's a good excuse to buy a mill). :D
I have it on good authority that he can't fit a Bridgeport in his shop. :eeek:
Matthew (or Bifford if you prefer)
Stash
User avatar
Twokidsnosleep
General
General
Posts: 18481
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:07 pm
Location: BC,Canada
Canada

Re: Sherline Lathe…unbox, setup and projects

Post by Twokidsnosleep »

MrBowcat wrote: Tue Sep 16, 2025 4:18 pm Very nice Scott.

You know you can get perfect hole patterns with a mill, DRO and PCD function? Just saying (that it's a good excuse to buy a mill). :D
I have zero room..but would LOVE a mill!!!!
Scott

On, Under or near the desk
Mr Tamiya Memorial build...Alfa Romeo Bt-46
User avatar
MrBowcat
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Posts: 828
Joined: Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:34 pm
Location: London
England

Re: Sherline Lathe…unbox, setup and projects

Post by MrBowcat »

Si vis pacem, para bellum
User avatar
digger303
General
General
Posts: 16667
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:01 am
Location: Western Australia
Australia

Re: Sherline Lathe…unbox, setup and projects

Post by digger303 »

I've seen those, no idea how good they are.

I've seen the newest cheapest Chinese lathes when machining steel chatter because the bearing behind the chuck is cheap and nasty. Makes it hard to obtain the type of accuracy your achieving.

:cheers2:
Listen and appear wise
Image
Image

scalemates stash https://www.scalemates.com/profiles/mat ... ION[]=Kits
Image
User avatar
RangerNeil
Major
Major
Posts: 4745
Joined: Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:42 pm
Location: Dagenham
Contact:
Great Britain

Re: Sherline Lathe…unbox, setup and projects

Post by RangerNeil »

digger303 wrote: Thu Sep 18, 2025 12:59 am
I've seen those, no idea how good they are.

I've seen the newest cheapest Chinese lathes when machining steel chatter because the bearing behind the chuck is cheap and nasty. Makes it hard to obtain the type of accuracy your achieving.

:cheers2:
How hard would it be to replace the bearing with a quality one???
    Neil (yet another one...)

    On the board now:

    Airfix 1/35 Alvis Stalwart Mk2 FV622
    Hasegawa 1/48 A8 Crusader

    Scalemates stash info
    =58417&fkSTASHSTATUS[]=58417-Stash&page=stash]Scalemates Stash manager
    User avatar
    Twokidsnosleep
    General
    General
    Posts: 18481
    Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:07 pm
    Location: BC,Canada
    Canada

    Re: Sherline Lathe…unbox, setup and projects

    Post by Twokidsnosleep »

    I would get a separate standing mill.
    don't like messing about with the Sherline motor to do angled cuts let alone realigning it for a mill
    Another day of work today and then tomorrow I am making an oil filler tube for the Hot Rod
    Scott

    On, Under or near the desk
    Mr Tamiya Memorial build...Alfa Romeo Bt-46
    User avatar
    digger303
    General
    General
    Posts: 16667
    Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:01 am
    Location: Western Australia
    Australia

    Re: Sherline Lathe…unbox, setup and projects

    Post by digger303 »

    RangerNeil wrote: Thu Sep 18, 2025 3:56 pm
    digger303 wrote: Thu Sep 18, 2025 12:59 am
    I've seen those, no idea how good they are.

    I've seen the newest cheapest Chinese lathes when machining steel chatter because the bearing behind the chuck is cheap and nasty. Makes it hard to obtain the type of accuracy your achieving.

    :cheers2:
    How hard would it be to replace the bearing with a quality one???
    It's more to do with the type of bearing. In that it can't be preloaded to take out any built in movement or not as wide as needed.
    :cheers2:
    Listen and appear wise
    Image
    Image

    scalemates stash https://www.scalemates.com/profiles/mat ... ION[]=Kits
    Image
    User avatar
    Twokidsnosleep
    General
    General
    Posts: 18481
    Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:07 pm
    Location: BC,Canada
    Canada

    Re: Sherline Lathe…unbox, setup and projects

    Post by Twokidsnosleep »

    Some new goodies for the Sherline lathe

    Image

    A tool rest so you can use the lathe with hand chisels
    Image

    A compound sliding base so I can cut angles and bevels by altering the cutting tools (good design) instead of the headstock and motor(dumb design)
    Image

    I will take some pics when I have stuff mounted on and it will make more sense. Too dark and lazy for me tonight.
    With some luck, some more stuff will follow with Christmas
    Scott

    On, Under or near the desk
    Mr Tamiya Memorial build...Alfa Romeo Bt-46
    User avatar
    digger303
    General
    General
    Posts: 16667
    Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:01 am
    Location: Western Australia
    Australia

    Re: Sherline Lathe…unbox, setup and projects

    Post by digger303 »

    Twokidsnosleep wrote: Sat Dec 06, 2025 5:18 am Some new goodies for the Sherline lathe

    Image

    A tool rest so you can use the lathe with hand chisels
    Image

    A compound sliding base so I can cut angles and bevels by altering the cutting tools (good design) instead of the headstock and motor(dumb design)
    Image

    I will take some pics when I have stuff mounted on and it will make more sense. Too dark and lazy for me tonight.
    With some luck, some more stuff will follow with Christmas
    Good additions I'm sure.
    Can't wait to see how it all mounts up.
    :th: :th:
    :cheers2:
    Listen and appear wise
    Image
    Image

    scalemates stash https://www.scalemates.com/profiles/mat ... ION[]=Kits
    Image
    User avatar
    MrBowcat
    Command Sergeant Major
    Command Sergeant Major
    Posts: 828
    Joined: Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:34 pm
    Location: London
    England

    Re: Sherline Lathe…unbox, setup and projects

    Post by MrBowcat »

    Although not used that often, a compound slide is a handy thing when you need it.
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    User avatar
    Twokidsnosleep
    General
    General
    Posts: 18481
    Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:07 pm
    Location: BC,Canada
    Canada

    Re: Sherline Lathe…unbox, setup and projects

    Post by Twokidsnosleep »

    MrBowcat wrote: Mon Dec 08, 2025 9:20 am Although not used that often, a compound slide is a handy thing when you need it.
    The Sherline design is to angle the motor and thus headstock for tapering cuts.
    This stresses the drive belt and the mounting points, no fine control for angles. So many moving parts f’d with :roll:
    It is absolutely ludicrous.
    The compound slide is something I wanted from day one and will considerably increase the usefulness of this lathe.

    I haven’t spent any significant time out in the garage to get this stuff set up, but will at Christmas break to make a couple parts for presents
    Scott

    On, Under or near the desk
    Mr Tamiya Memorial build...Alfa Romeo Bt-46
    User avatar
    digger303
    General
    General
    Posts: 16667
    Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:01 am
    Location: Western Australia
    Australia

    Re: Sherline Lathe…unbox, setup and projects

    Post by digger303 »

    Twokidsnosleep wrote: Mon Dec 08, 2025 5:18 pm
    MrBowcat wrote: Mon Dec 08, 2025 9:20 am Although not used that often, a compound slide is a handy thing when you need it.
    The Sherline design is to angle the motor and thus headstock for tapering cuts.
    This stresses the drive belt and the mounting points, no fine control for angles. So many moving parts f’d with :roll:
    It is absolutely ludicrous.
    The compound slide is something I wanted from day one and will considerably increase the usefulness of this lathe.

    I haven’t spent any significant time out in the garage to get this stuff set up, but will at Christmas break to make a couple parts for presents
    Is your knee all good now ?
    Listen and appear wise
    Image
    Image

    scalemates stash https://www.scalemates.com/profiles/mat ... ION[]=Kits
    Image
    User avatar
    Twokidsnosleep
    General
    General
    Posts: 18481
    Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:07 pm
    Location: BC,Canada
    Canada

    Re: Sherline Lathe…unbox, setup and projects

    Post by Twokidsnosleep »

    digger303 wrote: Mon Dec 08, 2025 10:01 pm
    Twokidsnosleep wrote: Mon Dec 08, 2025 5:18 pm
    MrBowcat wrote: Mon Dec 08, 2025 9:20 am Although not used that often, a compound slide is a handy thing when you need it.
    The Sherline design is to angle the motor and thus headstock for tapering cuts.
    This stresses the drive belt and the mounting points, no fine control for angles. So many moving parts f’d with :roll:
    It is absolutely ludicrous.
    The compound slide is something I wanted from day one and will considerably increase the usefulness of this lathe.

    I haven’t spent any significant time out in the garage to get this stuff set up, but will at Christmas break to make a couple parts for presents
    Is your knee all good now ?
    I have had cortisone injections into both recently so the pain levels are down, mobility bit better
    Find out about heart stuff soonish I hope
    Thanks for asking
    Scott

    On, Under or near the desk
    Mr Tamiya Memorial build...Alfa Romeo Bt-46
    User avatar
    digger303
    General
    General
    Posts: 16667
    Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:01 am
    Location: Western Australia
    Australia

    Re: Sherline Lathe…unbox, setup and projects

    Post by digger303 »

    Twokidsnosleep wrote: Tue Dec 09, 2025 12:43 am
    digger303 wrote: Mon Dec 08, 2025 10:01 pm
    Twokidsnosleep wrote: Mon Dec 08, 2025 5:18 pm

    The Sherline design is to angle the motor and thus headstock for tapering cuts.
    This stresses the drive belt and the mounting points, no fine control for angles. So many moving parts f’d with :roll:
    It is absolutely ludicrous.
    The compound slide is something I wanted from day one and will considerably increase the usefulness of this lathe.

    I haven’t spent any significant time out in the garage to get this stuff set up, but will at Christmas break to make a couple parts for presents
    Is your knee all good now ?
    I have had cortisone injections into both recently so the pain levels are down, mobility bit better
    Find out about heart stuff soonish I hope
    Thanks for asking
    Just found out this morning that my mum is suffering from a stiff heart....yeah sounds a bit back woodsy, but it is plaque attaching itself to the inner wall thickening it which makes it less pliable. Five different stages she is stage 1, treatment not available unless your mega rich until stage 2 as the drugs are 12,000aud a month.
    :cheers2:
    Listen and appear wise
    Image
    Image

    scalemates stash https://www.scalemates.com/profiles/mat ... ION[]=Kits
    Image
    User avatar
    MrBowcat
    Command Sergeant Major
    Command Sergeant Major
    Posts: 828
    Joined: Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:34 pm
    Location: London
    England

    Re: Sherline Lathe…unbox, setup and projects

    Post by MrBowcat »

    Twokidsnosleep wrote: Mon Dec 08, 2025 5:18 pm
    MrBowcat wrote: Mon Dec 08, 2025 9:20 am Although not used that often, a compound slide is a handy thing when you need it.
    The Sherline design is to angle the motor and thus headstock for tapering cuts.
    This stresses the drive belt and the mounting points, no fine control for angles. So many moving parts f’d with :roll:
    It is absolutely ludicrous.
    The compound slide is something I wanted from day one and will considerably increase the usefulness of this lathe.

    I haven’t spent any significant time out in the garage to get this stuff set up, but will at Christmas break to make a couple parts for presents
    Yes, I've seen it and agree it a dumb design. Most particularly because you must have to dial it back in straight every time you have had it angled. Sounds as much of a PITA as clocking a vice in on a mill if you take it off (one of the reasons I try to never remove my mill vice)
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    NoelSmith
    Sergeant First Class
    Sergeant First Class
    Posts: 326
    Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2015 2:35 pm
    Great Britain

    Re: Sherline Lathe…unbox, setup and projects

    Post by NoelSmith »

    The Sherline is a nice little bit of kit.

    The company CEO Joe Martin has written a book about using the Sherline Machines and worth obtaining from Sherline taking the rank beginner through the basics of miniature machining. There is another book that was published back in the seventies 'Unimat Lathe Projects' by the late master modeller Gerald Wingrove. The book describes making useful small tools using the machine. One of the projects was a four way tool post for the machine that saves me a lot of tool setup time on the machine since I made it.

    I have a Unimat 4. Nice little machine similar to the Sherline in size and concept. Unfortunately the Unimats stopped production a number of years ago, so if mine packs up completely the Sherline will be a viable option.
    User avatar
    Twokidsnosleep
    General
    General
    Posts: 18481
    Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:07 pm
    Location: BC,Canada
    Canada

    Re: Sherline Lathe…unbox, setup and projects

    Post by Twokidsnosleep »

    Another weekend (or two) project on the lathe
    This project is for work as a little aluminum sterilization tube that holds long polishing strips; Ours has stripped threads and is useless.
    New one is over $100!
    Image
    heading
    Image

    So I sanded off the blue paint and tried a brass tube insert to make threads for more grab…nope
    Image

    Then talking with Matthew and my son Ced, came up with this design of a threaded plug that is hollow drilled out.
    Image

    Problem was needed to increase internal diameter of tube, but not big enough drill bit and chuck on lathe too small anyaways. So ordered a boring tool set for the lathe from Amazon.
    Image

    I lopped off the useless short threaded extension
    Image

    Then I made the plug out of Delrin rod.
    It is an acetate plastic that mills nicely. I was testing my lathe skills and threading.
    I have a hunk of aluminum rod but didn’t want to f that up.
    Image

    Ended up with this
    Image

    Image

    Image

    Will test how it does with heat and pressure of our smaller sterilizer. The stats say the plastic should be fine :think:
    I can always make the aluminum plug if it fails.
    Scott

    On, Under or near the desk
    Mr Tamiya Memorial build...Alfa Romeo Bt-46
    User avatar
    digger303
    General
    General
    Posts: 16667
    Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:01 am
    Location: Western Australia
    Australia

    Re: Sherline Lathe…unbox, setup and projects

    Post by digger303 »

    Very industrious of you, looks very good.
    :th: :th: :th:
    :cheers2:
    Listen and appear wise
    Image
    Image

    scalemates stash https://www.scalemates.com/profiles/mat ... ION[]=Kits
    Image
    User avatar
    Twokidsnosleep
    General
    General
    Posts: 18481
    Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:07 pm
    Location: BC,Canada
    Canada

    Re: Sherline Lathe…unbox, setup and projects

    Post by Twokidsnosleep »

    digger303 wrote: Tue May 05, 2026 1:58 pm Very industrious of you, looks very good.
    :th: :th: :th:
    :cheers2:
    :cheers2:
    I suppose I could have bought a new blue tube, but it gave an excuse for buying a boring tool instead :D
    Scott

    On, Under or near the desk
    Mr Tamiya Memorial build...Alfa Romeo Bt-46
    User avatar
    MrBowcat
    Command Sergeant Major
    Command Sergeant Major
    Posts: 828
    Joined: Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:34 pm
    Location: London
    England

    Re: Sherline Lathe…unbox, setup and projects

    Post by MrBowcat »

    Nice job Scott.

    If you don't mind a little bit of advice, boring bars are prone to vibration (and therefore chatter), so best practice is to keep the stick out a minimal as possible to improve rigidity. This normally means working blind and relying on your dials or DRO.

    Probably not an issue with Delrin, but probably more so if you make again in ali.
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    User avatar
    Twokidsnosleep
    General
    General
    Posts: 18481
    Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:07 pm
    Location: BC,Canada
    Canada

    Re: Sherline Lathe…unbox, setup and projects

    Post by Twokidsnosleep »

    MrBowcat wrote: Wed May 06, 2026 12:49 pm Nice job Scott.

    If you don't mind a little bit of advice, boring bars are prone to vibration (and therefore chatter), so best practice is to keep the stick out a minimal as possible to improve rigidity. This normally means working blind and relying on your dials or DRO.

    Probably not an issue with Delrin, but probably more so if you make again in ali.
    Interesting. I appreciate the input.
    Matthew helped me set up a solid shim (steel) to get the tool to the right height and stable = the z shape under the tool
    Image
    The blue tape is my depth mark to 25 mm
    I am pulling out in that photo, can't be much closer really as the tool has to go in 25mm:think:
    Super spirochetes of aluminum off that so it was cutting well.
    Nice smooth shoulder 25 mm inside for the plug to sit into
    Image
    Scott

    On, Under or near the desk
    Mr Tamiya Memorial build...Alfa Romeo Bt-46
    User avatar
    MrBowcat
    Command Sergeant Major
    Command Sergeant Major
    Posts: 828
    Joined: Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:34 pm
    Location: London
    England

    Re: Sherline Lathe…unbox, setup and projects

    Post by MrBowcat »

    Fair enough, looks like you have it as far in as it will go.

    If you do experience chatter, just take lighter cuts and all should be OK. Are you using WD40 as a lubricant for ali?
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    User avatar
    Twokidsnosleep
    General
    General
    Posts: 18481
    Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:07 pm
    Location: BC,Canada
    Canada

    Re: Sherline Lathe…unbox, setup and projects

    Post by Twokidsnosleep »

    MrBowcat wrote: Fri May 08, 2026 3:32 pm Fair enough, looks like you have it as far in as it will go.

    If you do experience chatter, just take lighter cuts and all should be OK. Are you using WD40 as a lubricant for ali?
    Thanks
    Not much chatter with the aluminum and I had some tap fluid in there which worked well

    The plastic plug failed,seemingly shrinking and won't catch the internal threads.... so I will remake the plug in aluminum maybe this weekend
    Scott

    On, Under or near the desk
    Mr Tamiya Memorial build...Alfa Romeo Bt-46
    User avatar
    Twokidsnosleep
    General
    General
    Posts: 18481
    Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:07 pm
    Location: BC,Canada
    Canada

    Re: Sherline Lathe…unbox, setup and projects

    Post by Twokidsnosleep »

    Saturday remake day.
    The plug done entirely in aluminum now.
    I spoiled a large diameter of aluminum and not happy with the waste and the time it took

    Image

    Image

    Image

    Image

    Image

    Image
    Scott

    On, Under or near the desk
    Mr Tamiya Memorial build...Alfa Romeo Bt-46
    User avatar
    digger303
    General
    General
    Posts: 16667
    Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:01 am
    Location: Western Australia
    Australia

    Re: Sherline Lathe…unbox, setup and projects

    Post by digger303 »

    Just like a new one :)
    :clap: :clap: :clap:
    :cheers2:
    Listen and appear wise
    Image
    Image

    scalemates stash https://www.scalemates.com/profiles/mat ... ION[]=Kits
    Image
    User avatar
    Twokidsnosleep
    General
    General
    Posts: 18481
    Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:07 pm
    Location: BC,Canada
    Canada

    Re: Sherline Lathe…unbox, setup and projects

    Post by Twokidsnosleep »

    digger303 wrote: Sun May 10, 2026 11:49 am Just like a new one :)
    :clap: :clap: :clap:
    :cheers2:
    Yes. It is much more solid.
    I have to start with a more appropriate stoc dimension, I hare the waste.

    Took some time to clean up the ‘temporary” rolling lathe cart shelf and organize the tools n such

    Image
    Scott

    On, Under or near the desk
    Mr Tamiya Memorial build...Alfa Romeo Bt-46
    Post Reply

    Return to “Tools”