Page 2 of 2
Re: Tamiya 1/12 williams FW14b with all the top studio goodness
Posted: Mon Oct 23, 2023 9:40 am
by Johnj
Re: Tamiya 1/12 williams FW14b with all the top studio goodness
Posted: Mon Oct 23, 2023 9:59 am
by cor
outstanding work
Re: Tamiya 1/12 williams FW14b with all the top studio goodness
Posted: Mon Oct 23, 2023 10:02 am
by cor
Johnj wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 9:10 am
The Revell ferrari, is it the one with the pre-painted body ?
Yes it is. Top paint job, they call it.... Got the Marlborough decals for it. Looking forward to that one.
Re: Tamiya 1/12 williams FW14b with all the top studio goodness
Posted: Mon Oct 23, 2023 12:18 pm
by Johnj
Thanks cor

I built that ferrari back in 2004 i think. It used to live on top of the TV at the time untill one day it didnt and that was the end of that.
I would think it would be extremely rare these days......maybe even worth a few quid !
Re: Tamiya 1/12 williams FW14b with all the top studio goodness
Posted: Mon Oct 23, 2023 1:58 pm
by DRUMS01
your continuing excellence amazes us all, keep it up!
Re: Tamiya 1/12 williams FW14b with all the top studio goodness
Posted: Wed Oct 25, 2023 10:10 pm
by Johnj
Thanks Ben, your far too kind.
I think this maybe my last build as i'm going to get back to my first passion which is R/C helicopters. There is still a bit to do to the williams but it will still take most of the winter which i wouldnt be flying in anyway. Not nearly as hardy as i was when i was younger lol.
I wont sell the unbuilt kits i still have right away, i'll wait till im sure i am done with it. I know there is such a thing as buyers regret but i dont want to have sellers regret
Some of them are long out of production and could never be replaced without selling a body part. Two that come to mind are the 1/6 scale yamaha midnight special and the harley fat boy lo from 2013
Re: Tamiya 1/12 williams FW14b with all the top studio goodness
Posted: Thu Oct 26, 2023 12:51 am
by mrprkr90
This is an outstanding build! I dont think I've ever seen a model with this level of detail before, I'm very excited to see the end results.
I'm sad to see that you're putting the tools down, you've done some very nice work!
Re: Tamiya 1/12 williams FW14b with all the top studio goodness
Posted: Fri Oct 27, 2023 4:54 pm
by Johnj
mrprkr90 wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 12:51 am
This is an outstanding build! I dont think I've ever seen a model with this level of detail before, I'm very excited to see the end results.
I'm sad to see that you're putting the tools down, you've done some very nice work!
Ah, what a lovely thing to say. I've been modeling since i was 6yr old and i'm now 55 and unlike a lot of the guys my generation who kind of left it in they're teenage years to do the usual, chasing women, beer and motorbikes. Not always in that order

then coming back to it when the kids leave home. Maybe i just need a bit of a brake. I'm not gonna do anything hasty and then regret it. I'll always be around on here so your stuck with me i'm afraid and it's not much fun R/C flying in the winter. I'm too much of a woose these days
Regarding the detail on the williams, there's hardly any scratch building as there was on the Enzo. It's the Top studio detail sets for each part of the car. This is the set for the bulkhead/ front damper.
I did the same thing with the mclaren MP4/6 a couple of years ago.

There's a build thread somewhere on here and your more than welcolm to have a look

Re: Tamiya 1/12 williams FW14b with all the top studio goodness
Posted: Sat Oct 28, 2023 11:40 am
by Garion77
True what's been said. One the nicest F1 with amazing amount of details. Nice build. One of my favorite F1 of all time, even with a Canadian beer as a sponsor !

not a good one

Re: Tamiya 1/12 williams FW14b with all the top studio goodness
Posted: Sun Oct 29, 2023 9:51 am
by Mpfiend
Stunning work John.
Re: Tamiya 1/12 williams FW14b with all the top studio goodness
Posted: Mon Nov 27, 2023 5:07 pm
by mphilipp
This is an amazing build! Glad that I found this, because I'm getting ready to build mine soon. I have this kit for ages and started on it years ago, but I made a stupid painting mistake and I put it away. In a way this was a good thing, because now I know of the Top Studio kits and I have them ready for this. I also bought an airbrush, so I'm really going to make an effort. I might start my own build topic, but I certainly will be looking into this one for inspiration and guidance, since I never worked with the detail kits and the PE.
Re: Tamiya 1/12 williams FW14b with all the top studio goodness
Posted: Mon Dec 18, 2023 1:20 am
by Johnj
mphilipp wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 5:07 pm
This is an amazing build! Glad that I found this, because I'm getting ready to build mine soon. I have this kit for ages and started on it years ago, but I made a stupid painting mistake and I put it away. In a way this was a good thing, because now I know of the Top Studio kits and I have them ready for this. I also bought an airbrush, so I'm really going to make an effort. I might start my own build topic, but I certainly will be looking into this one for inspiration and guidance, since I never worked with the detail kits and the PE.
Hi Mike, sorry, i've only just noticed your post here. The pictures dont do it justice. The Top studio parts are superb. If you've never used resin or PE before you will have a ton of questions which myself and the rest of the guys on here will be more than happy to answer. The resin parts can be very fragile so you have to be carefull with some of the thinner parts.
Starting a thread with pictures will help if you do have questions. A picture paints a thousand words and all that ! The one piece of advice i would give you is to drill out any resin part that has hose joints or the brass electrical connectors attached to them before paint as you want to handle them as little as possible after paint. I wouldnt glue the hose joints at the angles the instructions show you either. I would wait till everything else is in place and add the hose joints with the braided line last.
Re: Tamiya 1/12 williams FW14b with all the top studio goodness
Posted: Tue Jan 02, 2024 1:38 pm
by NoelSmith
This model will look fantastic when finished.
There is a fellow modeller Tomasz Zamira over on another forum who has built this model using the Studio 27 detailing set. Absolutely gorgeous as this build will also be!
Re: Tamiya 1/12 williams FW14b with all the top studio goodness
Posted: Mon Feb 05, 2024 4:09 am
by Johnj
Re: Tamiya 1/12 williams FW14b with all the top studio goodness
Posted: Mon Feb 05, 2024 4:24 am
by Johnj
Re: Tamiya 1/12 williams FW14b with all the top studio goodness
Posted: Mon Feb 05, 2024 11:55 am
by Garion77
Great progress ! the engine looks great ! masterpiece !
Re: Tamiya 1/12 williams FW14b with all the top studio goodness
Posted: Mon Feb 05, 2024 2:24 pm
by Johnj
Garion77 wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 11:55 am
Great progress ! the engine looks great ! masterpiece !
Thank you kind sir. There are no more parts to be added but there is a growing list of stuff still to do, like capping off the Tamiya kit screws with the PE hex heads, adding wing mirrors and wind shield. The biggest job to finish is paint, decal and 2k the engine cover.
Re: Tamiya 1/12 williams FW14b with all the top studio goodness
Posted: Mon Feb 05, 2024 4:07 pm
by Johnj
Re: Tamiya 1/12 williams FW14b with all the top studio goodness
Posted: Mon Feb 05, 2024 4:37 pm
by Twokidsnosleep
How about that detail, WOW!
Re: Tamiya 1/12 williams FW14b with all the top studio goodness
Posted: Mon Feb 05, 2024 4:38 pm
by Johnj
I was concerned about the engine and front damper covers fitting but it's all good. A quick trim with the dremel in the front cover should have that fitting flush.

Re: Tamiya 1/12 williams FW14b with all the top studio goodness
Posted: Mon Feb 05, 2024 4:57 pm
by Johnj
Twokidsnosleep wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 4:37 pm
How about that detail, WOW!
I know the detail sets are a bit on the "pricey" side scott, but look at the difference it makes

Re: Tamiya 1/12 williams FW14b with all the top studio goodness
Posted: Mon Feb 05, 2024 5:49 pm
by Johnj
I decided to make the top front of the tub removable
I dont know why, i just couldnt bring myself to glue it permanently.

Re: Tamiya 1/12 williams FW14b with all the top studio goodness
Posted: Mon Feb 05, 2024 9:47 pm
by DRUMS01
You are too modest regarding the details. As you say, they come as a kit to enhance the Tamiya details. But what you leave out is the meticulous care and clean work you perform when applying them. The carbon fiber is not an easy thing to do correctly either.
You sir definitely have the skills to use those detail kits to your advantage. And I haven't even started on the paint work which is stunning, especially with the small details.

Re: Tamiya 1/12 williams FW14b with all the top studio goodness
Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2024 11:48 am
by digger303
Re: Tamiya 1/12 williams FW14b with all the top studio goodness
Posted: Thu Feb 08, 2024 1:07 am
by unclepine
Bit late to be postin on this build, but came across the site quite by accident, and saw the Williams build, and was VERY impressed...!! I have this kit in various stages of development as it were, just too many other projects getting in the way. I will say though, that you might want to av a look at Prime Miniatures for some small metric socket head and hex head bolts to replace the "ugly" Phillips heads...I truly Despise those things...!! I know they're cheap, but after paying an arm and a leg for a F1 kit, you would think they could give you some better fasteners. Mr. Prime over at Prime Miniatures(he's in England somewhere), has a host of nifty items for all sorts of attaching and plumbing ideas on cars, tanks, Sci-Fi, etc.
If you've seen his site, fair enough...still a LOVELY bit o kit buildin mate...cheers from Winnipeg
Unc
Re: Tamiya 1/12 williams FW14b with all the top studio goodness
Posted: Sun Feb 11, 2024 9:40 am
by cor
very nice work. the patience you must have...
Re: Tamiya 1/12 williams FW14b with all the top studio goodness
Posted: Mon Feb 12, 2024 9:03 pm
by Johnj
DRUMS01 wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 9:47 pm
You are too modest regarding the details. As you say, they come as a kit to enhance the Tamiya details. But what you leave out is the meticulous care and clean work you perform when applying them. The carbon fiber is not an easy thing to do correctly either.
You sir definitely have the skills to use those detail kits to your advantage. And I haven't even started on the paint work which is stunning, especially with the small details.
Oh, wow Ben. What a lovely thing to say. I feel very similar when i'm looking at a lot of the builds on here, especially your own. I sruggle to try and find time to post these builds and to commemt on all the great builds on here but i am always reading through them.
Whether it be the static kits like these or the R/C side of the hobby, i have always thought that to improve you must be around guy's that are at a higher level and i still believe that. It's a great bunch of guy's and super talented on here and i hope you all stay around for a long time to come. Again, thanks Ben. I'm extremely humbled

Re: Tamiya 1/12 williams FW14b with all the top studio goodness
Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2024 3:25 am
by Johnj
unclepine wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 1:07 am
Bit late to be postin on this build, but came across the site quite by accident, and saw the Williams build, and was VERY impressed...!! I have this kit in various stages of development as it were, just too many other projects getting in the way. I will say though, that you might want to av a look at Prime Miniatures for some small metric socket head and hex head bolts to replace the "ugly" Phillips heads...I truly Despise those things...!! I know they're cheap, but after paying an arm and a leg for a F1 kit, you would think they could give you some better fasteners. Mr. Prime over at Prime Miniatures(he's in England somewhere), has a host of nifty items for all sorts of attaching and plumbing ideas on cars, tanks, Sci-Fi, etc.
If you've seen his site, fair enough...still a LOVELY bit o kit buildin mate...cheers from Winnipeg
Unc
I havent heard of them but i usually use a place called "modelfixings" which are pretty good for the smaller hardware.
I will take a look and thanks for the heads up. Can never have to many options

Re: Tamiya 1/12 williams FW14b with all the top studio goodness
Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2024 3:27 am
by Johnj
cor wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 9:40 am
very nice work. the patience you must have...
Thanks cor, but yes the P word is starting to wear thin at this late stage !
Re: Tamiya 1/12 williams FW14b with all the top studio goodness
Posted: Thu Feb 22, 2024 4:48 am
by Johnj

The decals and clear coat just seems to bring it to life.
Re: Tamiya 1/12 williams FW14b with all the top studio goodness
Posted: Thu Feb 22, 2024 5:11 am
by Johnj
Re: Tamiya 1/12 williams FW14b with all the top studio goodness
Posted: Thu Feb 22, 2024 7:22 pm
by Johnj
I'll need to thin down the inside the engine cover where it meets the bottom of the air intake. The cover has a perfect fit when it's not in place. I did think of just leaving it off as you wouldnt know it wasnt there with the cover in place. I would just like it to fit.

Re: Tamiya 1/12 williams FW14b with all the top studio goodness
Posted: Thu Feb 22, 2024 10:01 pm
by DRUMS01
So the next set of photos will be all the detail shots and profiles, right? Can't wait, bring it on...
Re: Tamiya 1/12 williams FW14b with all the top studio goodness
Posted: Fri Feb 23, 2024 6:57 am
by Johnj
DRUMS01 wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 10:01 pm
So the next set of photos will be all the detail shots and profiles, right? Can't wait, bring it on...
I really struggle with pictures Ben, but yeah, i will need to try and get some close-up's of all the Top studio lovelyness
I couldnt resist taking one of the two together

I'd like to thank you though for your input, help and suggestions through out the build. It can be tough trying to keep motivated sometimes with the sheer amount of work involved, so, thank you Ben, and all the others that helped and left positive commemts and suggestions it's much appreciated

Re: Tamiya 1/12 williams FW14b with all the top studio goodness
Posted: Tue Feb 27, 2024 6:16 pm
by Johnj
Re: Tamiya 1/12 williams FW14b with all the top studio goodness
Posted: Tue Feb 27, 2024 6:29 pm
by Johnj
Re: Tamiya 1/12 williams FW14b with all the top studio goodness
Posted: Tue Feb 27, 2024 6:39 pm
by Johnj
Re: Tamiya 1/12 williams FW14b with all the top studio goodness
Posted: Tue Feb 27, 2024 6:50 pm
by Johnj
Re: Tamiya 1/12 williams FW14b with all the top studio goodness
Posted: Tue Feb 27, 2024 9:38 pm
by DRUMS01
Holy Cow Batman! As previously stated, that is some nice modeling. When a kit get super detailed like this I see them as something akin to rigging a sailing ship or hundreds of PE on a battleship. It's always nice to see and appreciate work like this. So what's next on your build schedule?
Ben
Re: Tamiya 1/12 williams FW14b with all the top studio goodness
Posted: Fri Mar 01, 2024 6:11 am
by cor
Outstanding. Nothing else to say.
Re: Tamiya 1/12 williams FW14b with all the top studio goodness
Posted: Sun Mar 03, 2024 2:06 pm
by Johnj
DRUMS01 wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 9:38 pm
Holy Cow Batman! As previously stated, that is some nice modeling. When a kit get super detailed like this I see them as something akin to rigging a sailing ship or hundreds of PE on a battleship. It's always nice to see and appreciate work like this. So what's next on your build schedule?
Ben
Thanks Ben, yeah, it's funny you should mention a sailing ship. I have a wooden kit of HMS Supply and it's the rigging that's putting me off starting it.
As of whats next. If it's a super detail then it'll have to be a bike. This is the choices i have.

Off the top of my head i have four 1/12 F1 cars but one of them is the ferrari of the same era as the williams and mclaren that i've just completed. I believe TS are doing the same for the ferrari so i'll hold off to see if that happens. If it's any of the others it'll need to be a ton of scratch building which i hate lol
Re: Tamiya 1/12 williams FW14b with all the top studio goodness
Posted: Sun Mar 03, 2024 2:15 pm
by Johnj
cor wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 6:11 am
Outstanding. Nothing else to say.
Thanks cor, your far too kind. You've inspired me to sort out my own 2002 ferrari. I'll just copy what you have done if you dont mind. If it comes out half as good i'll be happy
My own fell off the TV into a pile of pieces, that tells you how long ago it was ! but i think it just came apart rather than broke. I'll need to look for it in the loft.
Re: Tamiya 1/12 williams FW14b with all the top studio goodness
Posted: Sun Mar 03, 2024 4:50 pm
by Twokidsnosleep
Mind boggling details
Canβt go wrong with either bike kit there
Re: Tamiya 1/12 williams FW14b with all the top studio goodness
Posted: Tue Mar 05, 2024 12:33 pm
by Johnj
Twokidsnosleep wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 4:50 pm
Mind boggling details
Canβt go wrong with either bike kit there
Thanks scott, yeah, theres nothing to split them but i think i'm gonna have a brake anyway. I have a few health issues going on, one of them i'm really quite worried about so i'll try and get them resolved first then i can concentrate 100% on the modeling hopefully

Re: Tamiya 1/12 williams FW14b with all the top studio goodness
Posted: Tue Mar 05, 2024 3:33 pm
by Gary30
Johnj wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 12:33 pm
Thanks scott, yeah, theres nothing to split them but i think i'm gonna have a brake anyway. I have a few health issues going on, one of them i'm really quite worried about so i'll try and get them resolved first then i can concentrate 100% on the modeling hopefully
Amazing build John, you've got me spending all my pocket money on a FW14B kit now, I was holding off and holding off, but this has pushed me over the edge, thanks for that!
I wish you good health mate, best wishes

Re: Tamiya 1/12 williams FW14b with all the top studio goodness
Posted: Tue Mar 05, 2024 4:49 pm
by Johnj
Ah, gary....good to have you around

Thanks and yeah, sorry about that but you wont regret it !
Hope your well.
Re: Tamiya 1/12 williams FW14b with all the top studio goodness
Posted: Sat Apr 06, 2024 7:20 pm
by NoelSmith
The detailing being done on this build is simply breath taking. I will be following this one for sure.
Re: Tamiya 1/12 williams FW14b with all the top studio goodness
Posted: Fri Aug 09, 2024 9:46 am
by Kevthemodeller
Fully loaded with great skill, it's only going to get better
