Page 2 of 2

Re: Brabhams BT-46

Posted: Mon Apr 27, 2026 11:56 am
by cor
The doodad looks great.

Re: Brabhams BT-46

Posted: Mon Apr 27, 2026 5:16 pm
by Twokidsnosleep
cor wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2026 11:56 am The doodad looks great.
Wrong hole! :oops:
I have the oil overflow tub properly arranged now with a couple yellow lines coming off it
Sorry a bit hard to see my focus went background
Started in on the tires and wheels too
Image

Re: Brabhams BT-46

Posted: Tue Apr 28, 2026 3:30 am
by Twokidsnosleep
I used this stuff
Image

Image
Rough in of oil reservoir and lines
Image

Re: Brabhams BT-46

Posted: Tue May 05, 2026 8:29 pm
by Twokidsnosleep
Its 1978 and I am 11 yrs old.
I have just fought an AMT Miller Highlife Indy car build that was a big POS
The wheels didnt turn, nothing fit, no positive seats and instructions a joke. (I have another of those kits now to try again)
But along comes Tamiya, 1978 with the BT-46 model kit. The wheels have the little plugs that let them roll, the directions are perfect exact diagrams of parts, well explained and often shown in final form.

Little details like this rear end assembly that can only be inserted one way so you cannot screw it up. One in only, not 365 degrees of maybe.

Image

Image

It only goes in one way or no way
Image

I can remember being astounded and forever loyal to this brand 47 years ago

Re: Brabhams BT-46

Posted: Tue May 05, 2026 11:43 pm
by Twokidsnosleep
Now this is my own fault.
Trimming the suspension connectors off and ping off one goes into outer space.
And it is gone. No amount of hunt can find this double round end structure.

Image


So I made one from the sprue plastic
Image

In situ finished, painted and glued. Notice how nicely the instruction diagram matches the photo
Tamiya was ahead of its time for 1978!!
Image

Re: Brabhams BT-46

Posted: Wed May 06, 2026 12:38 am
by marcowine
I have to agree with you regarding the quality of Tamiya kits. Since starting back into the hobby earlier this year, I've built three Revell kits and four Tamiya kits, one of which was sitting in my son's closet for over 20 years. The 20+ year old Tamiya kit blew any of the Revell kits out of the water. Putting aside the look of the finished model, there's just no comparison in the enjoyment involved in building them. It's gotten so that I'm thinking I may limit myself to purchasing only Tamiya kits for the near future. I had already stocked up on models that I've yet to start from a few other brands, all Lancia rally cars, a couple of Hasegawas and one Italeri. We'll see how they stack up to Tamiya.

Re: Brabhams BT-46

Posted: Wed May 06, 2026 1:10 am
by Twokidsnosleep
marcowine wrote: Wed May 06, 2026 12:38 am I have to agree with you regarding the quality of Tamiya kits. Since starting back into the hobby earlier this year, I've built three Revell kits and four Tamiya kits, one of which was sitting in my son's closet for over 20 years. The 20+ year old Tamiya kit blew any of the Revell kits out of the water. Putting aside the look of the finished model, there's just no comparison in the enjoyment involved in building them. It's gotten so that I'm thinking I may limit myself to purchasing only Tamiya kits for the near future. I had already stocked up on models that I've yet to start from a few other brands, all Lancia rally cars, a couple of Hasegawas and one Italeri. We'll see how they stack up to Tamiya.
100%
If you haven't tried one, a Bandai Star wars kit is even better than a Tamiya.
They take that fit together engineering to another level and the space stuff is fun to build and weather

Re: Brabhams BT-46

Posted: Wed May 06, 2026 2:16 am
by marcowine
Twokidsnosleep wrote: Wed May 06, 2026 1:10 am
marcowine wrote: Wed May 06, 2026 12:38 am I have to agree with you regarding the quality of Tamiya kits. Since starting back into the hobby earlier this year, I've built three Revell kits and four Tamiya kits, one of which was sitting in my son's closet for over 20 years. The 20+ year old Tamiya kit blew any of the Revell kits out of the water. Putting aside the look of the finished model, there's just no comparison in the enjoyment involved in building them. It's gotten so that I'm thinking I may limit myself to purchasing only Tamiya kits for the near future. I had already stocked up on models that I've yet to start from a few other brands, all Lancia rally cars, a couple of Hasegawas and one Italeri. We'll see how they stack up to Tamiya.
100%
If you haven't tried one, a Bandai Star wars kit is even better than a Tamiya.
They take that fit together engineering to another level and the space stuff is fun to build and weather
I have not tried one. I always seem drawn to cars and motorcycles. I haven't delved into other categories at all. Perhaps once I've built a few more cars and gotten them more out of my system.

Thanks

Re: Brabhams BT-46

Posted: Wed May 06, 2026 5:22 am
by Stokesy44
marcowine wrote: Wed May 06, 2026 2:16 am
Twokidsnosleep wrote: Wed May 06, 2026 1:10 am
marcowine wrote: Wed May 06, 2026 12:38 am I have to agree with you regarding the quality of Tamiya kits. Since starting back into the hobby earlier this year, I've built three Revell kits and four Tamiya kits, one of which was sitting in my son's closet for over 20 years. The 20+ year old Tamiya kit blew any of the Revell kits out of the water. Putting aside the look of the finished model, there's just no comparison in the enjoyment involved in building them. It's gotten so that I'm thinking I may limit myself to purchasing only Tamiya kits for the near future. I had already stocked up on models that I've yet to start from a few other brands, all Lancia rally cars, a couple of Hasegawas and one Italeri. We'll see how they stack up to Tamiya.
100%
If you haven't tried one, a Bandai Star wars kit is even better than a Tamiya.
They take that fit together engineering to another level and the space stuff is fun to build and weather
I have not tried one. I always seem drawn to cars and motorcycles. I haven't delved into other categories at all. Perhaps once I've built a few more cars and gotten them more out of my system.

Thanks
Completely agree on Tamiya. Consistent quality and reasonably priced. Not cheap but the mantra 'you get what you pay for' perfectly applies to them.

As for Bandai, they are nice kits ad fun to build. I just wish their range included a broader and larger scale selection. But that's just me. I recently built their Y Wing and absolutely LOVED it. :th:

Re: Brabhams BT-46

Posted: Wed May 06, 2026 2:02 pm
by digger303
Gotta agree Bandai have really nailed it.

Re: Brabhams BT-46

Posted: Sat May 09, 2026 5:11 am
by Twokidsnosleep
Some guy getting all impatient waiting on his ride to be built

Image

Re: Brabhams BT-46

Posted: Sat May 09, 2026 7:38 am
by Stokesy44
:lol: Gotta love The Stig!

Re: Brabhams BT-46

Posted: Sat May 09, 2026 3:06 pm
by cor
That engine is looking better n better every time I check in. Nice work. Hard to believe it's 1/20.

I have a few Tamiya 1/20 F1 cars which you're inspiring me to build, in particular James hunts champion McLaren, and the McLaren mp4/13.

Re: Brabhams BT-46

Posted: Sat May 09, 2026 4:50 pm
by Twokidsnosleep
cor wrote: Sat May 09, 2026 3:06 pm That engine is looking better n better every time I check in. Nice work. Hard to believe it's 1/20.

I have a few Tamiya 1/20 F1 cars which you're inspiring me to build, in particular James hunts champion McLaren, and the McLaren mp4/13.
Those are both great kits and awesome cars
Thanks for lookin!

Re: Brabhams BT-46

Posted: Sat May 09, 2026 4:55 pm
by Twokidsnosleep
I got my aftermarket decals. These are Indycals.net and shipped out of Denver USA.
$20 for them.

Image

These ones are really good, nice and white. Maybe not as vibrant colours as originals but they will be fine as you will see in a moment.
Comparison

Image

Re: Brabhams BT-46

Posted: Sat May 09, 2026 4:58 pm
by Twokidsnosleep
So I usually paint the livery and add decals overtop.
Sorting the reds and the blues

Image

Image
Blue Tamiya TS-15 wins

Image

Image

Red is harder. The splash is good. But it isn’t a full bottle and it is a more aggressive paint on the plastic.
So I am gonna stick with Tamiya TS-8 decanted and airbrushed of course.
After all this is a Tamiya memorial build :think:

Re: Brabhams BT-46

Posted: Sat May 09, 2026 6:47 pm
by marcowine
That is looking so, so good! Great work.

Re: Brabhams BT-46

Posted: Sat May 09, 2026 10:56 pm
by digger303
:th: :th: :th:
:cheers2:

Re: Brabhams BT-46

Posted: Sun May 10, 2026 1:40 am
by DRUMS01
Lovely build so far…

Re: Brabhams BT-46

Posted: Sun May 10, 2026 5:49 am
by Twokidsnosleep
Thanks all
:cheers2: :cheers2: :cheers2:

Re: Brabhams BT-46

Posted: Mon May 11, 2026 6:41 pm
by Portman
Very nice indeed!

Re: Brabhams BT-46

Posted: Fri May 15, 2026 4:38 am
by Twokidsnosleep
My build is a bit stalled as I await some Mr Hobby primers to arrive
I got a pink I want to put down under this red
I have done yellow as a primer under red but want to try a pink base

Re: Brabhams BT-46

Posted: Mon May 18, 2026 9:14 pm
by Twokidsnosleep
While I await my pink primer, I decided to decant more blue and red paints

The TS-15 blue
Image

Now the TS-8 red. I found my can was empty but had a second, amazingly.
So for the empty one, I poked a hole and cut it in half. Drained the remaining paint and rescued the two glass mixing balls for my Stylenrez bottle that needs a good mixer.

Caution: it’s a bit gory
Image

Re: Brabhams BT-46

Posted: Tue May 19, 2026 1:02 am
by digger303
A messy business
:th: :th: :th:
:cheers2:

Re: Brabhams BT-46

Posted: Sat May 23, 2026 5:48 pm
by Twokidsnosleep
Ok pink primer in and on.

Image

Image

I didn’t use Mr hobby leveling thinner for some reason :think: and it was rough and had to sand the primer smooth

Rear wing paint scheme started
Image

Some motivation dry fit
Image

Re: Brabhams BT-46

Posted: Sun May 24, 2026 1:00 am
by digger303
It's a great bit of work, all the details are very distinctive and life like.
:th: :th: :th:
:cheers2:

Re: Brabhams BT-46

Posted: Sun May 24, 2026 4:43 am
by Stokesy44
digger303 wrote: Sun May 24, 2026 1:00 am It's a great bit of work, all the details are very distinctive and life like.
:th: :th: :th:
:cheers2:
What he said.

And

Pink Primer - sounds a bit rude :lol:

Re: Brabhams BT-46

Posted: Sun May 24, 2026 8:11 am
by marcowine
That's looking great!

:thumb1:

Re: Brabhams BT-46

Posted: Mon May 25, 2026 7:52 pm
by Twokidsnosleep
marcowine wrote: Sun May 24, 2026 8:11 am That's looking great!

:thumb1:
:cheers2:

This paint scheme :shock: arrrgggg

Re: Brabhams BT-46

Posted: Tue May 26, 2026 3:24 am
by cor
Dry fit looks like a real car. Superb work.

Re: Brabhams BT-46

Posted: Tue May 26, 2026 4:07 pm
by Twokidsnosleep
cor wrote: Tue May 26, 2026 3:24 am Dry fit looks like a real car. Superb work.
:cheers2:
Thank you, a nice thing to say :thumb2:

Re: Brabhams BT-46

Posted: Fri May 29, 2026 11:56 am
by Portman
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: Really nice!

Re: Brabhams BT-46

Posted: Sat May 30, 2026 12:24 am
by Twokidsnosleep
Portman wrote: Fri May 29, 2026 11:56 am :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: Really nice!
:cheers2:

Re: Brabhams BT-46

Posted: Wed Jun 03, 2026 7:46 pm
by Twokidsnosleep
Wing!
Glued up and chucked on for test look
Not 2K cleared as that wasn't a thing in 1978

Image

Image

Image

Can't wait for decals

Re: Brabhams BT-46

Posted: Wed Jun 03, 2026 9:29 pm
by Stokesy44
Nicely done. That engine looks a proper brute.

Re: Brabhams BT-46

Posted: Thu Jun 04, 2026 12:31 am
by Twokidsnosleep
Stokesy44 wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2026 9:29 pm Nicely done. That engine looks a proper brute.
:cheers2:
Decals soon for more life!

Re: Brabhams BT-46

Posted: Thu Jun 04, 2026 3:24 am
by cor
They polished em up real nice back in the day.

Re: Brabhams BT-46

Posted: Thu Jun 04, 2026 3:21 pm
by Twokidsnosleep
Image

Image

Image

Decals n details for da wing

Re: Brabhams BT-46

Posted: Sat Jun 06, 2026 10:53 am
by Portman
Looks very nice indeed!

Re: Brabhams BT-46

Posted: Sun Jun 07, 2026 12:04 am
by digger303
:th: :th: :th:
:cheers2:

Re: Brabhams BT-46

Posted: Sun Jun 07, 2026 4:20 am
by Twokidsnosleep
digger303 wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2026 12:04 am :th: :th: :th:
:cheers2:
Portman wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2026 10:53 am Looks very nice indeed!
Thanks guys.
The blues of the decals are a bit off and the seam shows, but meh

Re: Brabhams BT-46

Posted: Mon Jun 08, 2026 5:22 pm
by Twokidsnosleep
aurora145 talked about doing a test piece for dry brushing.
It lets you dial in how much paint residue you have in the brush
I used some old resin test pattern prints and painted them black to see the aluminum

Image

Image

I used this on the radiators…ooops and didn’t take a pic of them :scratch::
Here we go
Image

Re: Brabhams BT-46

Posted: Tue Jun 09, 2026 10:35 am
by cor
Can never do enough testing

Re: Brabhams BT-46

Posted: Thu Jun 11, 2026 11:14 am
by Portman
That's a nice idea.

Re: Brabhams BT-46

Posted: Thu Jun 11, 2026 9:13 pm
by marcowine
It's looking really nice. Great work!

:th: