Page 2 of 5
Re: Coen's Trumpy Challenger 2 Just paint :( hahaha
Posted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:30 pm
by Coen
Go far enough north and there's caribou... Winter moose

Re: Coen's Trumpy Challenger 2 Just paint :( hahaha
Posted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:02 am
by Switcher
Jan01 wrote:Coen wrote:He hit a moose.

Didn't know they had moose in the middle of the priare in Alberta

T'was one of them UFO mooses, we seez them all the time 'round here. Ya never heard of 'em bye. Ya need to get out more

Re: Coen's Trumpy Challenger 2 Just paint :( hahaha
Posted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:22 am
by chief5437
Re: Coen's Trumpy Challenger 2 Just paint :( hahaha
Posted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 4:18 am
by Coen
You should still jump in anyway Chief. It doesn't matter. I won't be touching mine until Tuesday or so and Nigel hasn't started his yet that I know of.
Re: Coen's Trumpy Challenger 2 Just paint :( hahaha
Posted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 4:35 am
by rsrdevon
I second what Coen said. Jump in anyway Chief. Im joining in and i dont have a kit yet myself. So Im WAY behind LOL. It dont matter there is no start or end to thins i dont believe. Its just something fun to do together.
Re: Coen's Trumpy Challenger 2 Just paint :( hahaha
Posted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:20 pm
by chief5437
Re: Coen's Trumpy Challenger 2 Just paint :( hahaha
Posted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:49 pm
by Jan01
I have the Trumpeter 1/35 Chally 2 built but not finished, and the Dragon 1/72 Chally 2 not even out of the box yet. So too late to join in

Re: Coen's Trumpy Challenger 2 Just paint :( hahaha
Posted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:34 pm
by Paul
Yeahhh

look forward to seeing yours come together

Re: Coen's Trumpy Challenger 2 Just paint :( hahaha
Posted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 6:24 pm
by Coen
Re: Coen's Trumpy Challenger 2 Just paint :( hahaha
Posted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:33 am
by alextheblue
Got to agree with Chief, this is a great BB and there's some great work going on here!!
And damn you all to oblivion if I can't hear eModels calling me....................
"psssst, alex....................we have the Tamiya Chally 2 in stock and it's calling your name!"
Somebody save me!!

Re: Coen's Trumpy Challenger 2 Just paint :( hahaha
Posted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:37 am
by Coen
Build me!!!! Build me!!!!Buuiiiiiiild meeeeeeeeeeee!!!!
Re: Coen's Trumpy Challenger 2 Just paint :( hahaha
Posted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:23 am
by Gav0909
I have the Tamiya Chally 2 ready to go, but don't want to start another kit just yet as got too many on the go, plus I have studying to do so will get that out the way and one or two of the WIPs before starting this.
Re: Coen's Trumpy Challenger 2 Just paint :( hahaha
Posted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:23 pm
by Coen
It's a buddy build Gav so jump in whenever you want or can bud.
No worries
Re: Coen's Trumpy Challenger 2 Just paint :( hahaha
Posted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:19 am
by Coen
Over the last couple of days I've been picking away at this thing. Yesterday I went at it whole hog as someone said. Aside from a couple of kit reviews that someone asked me to do for them.
I got quite a lot done on her and I made a few fixes to a couple of things that just went wrong, or were plain crap. Now they're less crap.
The side skirts are done, not too tricky to build. Trying to decide whether or not I want to install them now or later was a problem though.
Paul did some tests on his and he could get the wheels off on his kit with the skirts installed. So I decided that I would install mine.
All the fine detail on the rear deck is complete. I lost a tie down in the process, either that or there were never enough in the first place
I glued on the side skirts and tried to remove the wheels... All was well, I could even add the tracks and remove them. Yeah!!!
I started dry fitting the birdcage RPG armour, not the best of fits. I had to slightly trim a few bits and pieces to get it to fit and stay even.
I fixed the issue with the storage bins in the turret roof by gluing some styrene strip alone the sides of the holes. Then a piece of scrap styrene card to the back to simulate the bottom of the opening.
I also built the main gun. That was a complete PITA. Wow. I still don't know how much seam I got out. I even went over it with a Gary Bottoms pen. Looks like Mr. Surfacer to the rescue time.
I finished all of the birdcage armour now. It will be easier to paint this than the Leo2, hopefully. I noticed that I made a mistake though. The corners of the birdcage aren't supposed to meet. In the instructions they have you gluing them together. There's also a few tiny Gaps where the rear plate meets the upper deck that I need to fill
There's a gap here and a small bracket connecting the corners
I've reseated this stowage bin three times but it keeps popping back up. Grrrrrr
I hated the way that the rubber mud flaps looked when I first installed them. I kept looking at them and saying Bah!!! Yuck!!!... So I took off the brass and removed all of the plastic that was behind it. Sanded it all as flat as I could get it. Reshaped the brass, then re-installed it. Though less crappy, it's an improvement over the way that it looked before.
Most of the turret is done now, I'm still thinking about if I want to use Norms optics on it or now... I'm thinking yes.
So that's it for today.
I may get some more work on her this morning, or this afternoon. We'll see.
Re: Coen's Trumpy Challenger 2 Just paint :( hahaha
Posted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:32 am
by alextheblue
Ooooooo........very nice!!!

:th
Excellent, building skills - some great fixes and I've got to agree, those mud-flaps definitely look better.

Re: Coen's Trumpy Challenger 2 Just paint :( hahaha
Posted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:52 am
by EasyEight96
Wow you're done too nice job
Re: Coen's Trumpy Challenger 2 Just paint :( hahaha
Posted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:53 am
by UKscalemodeller
Loving the extra armour of this. looking good there!
Re: Coen's Trumpy Challenger 2 Just paint :( hahaha
Posted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:58 am
by Paul
Nice one buddy, I had the same problem with the stowage bins
Didn't know about the bar armour not meeting, I think it would need some surgery to make that happen.
That gun is a real pita to build and get seamless, mr surfacer helped though,
Should get some paint on it soon mate

Re: Coen's Trumpy Challenger 2 Just paint :( hahaha
Posted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:00 pm
by Coen
Re: Coen's Trumpy Challenger 2 Just paint :( hahaha
Posted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:04 pm
by Nige201980
Wow great work mate thanks for heads up on the storage bins. And at least I know now that I can put the wheels on after the side armour which is great
Re: Coen's Trumpy Challenger 2 Just paint :( hahaha
Posted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:05 pm
by Rodney
Looking good

Re: Coen's Trumpy Challenger 2 Just paint :( hahaha
Posted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:47 pm
by Coen
Thanks Rodney... but what do you think of the tank?

Re: Coen's Trumpy Challenger 2 Just paint :( hahaha
Posted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:48 pm
by Schoof
Coen wrote:Thanks Rodney... but what do you think of the tank?

Bwhahahahaha
Re: Coen's Trumpy Challenger 2 Just paint :( hahaha
Posted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:33 pm
by Switcher
Jumpimg Jiminy Cricket you guys build fast. Looking good buddy, sorry to hear about the fit issues, they can be a real pain. What was the purpose of all that styrene in the turret again?
I wanna see the Norm treatment if you do decide to do it. I am going for Micro clears on the periscopes but will be doing the Norm treatment on the "optics"
Saw what you did yesterday, yuz waz a busy boy.
Re: Coen's Trumpy Challenger 2 Just paint :( hahaha
Posted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:43 pm
by Rodney
Re: Coen's Trumpy Challenger 2 Just paint :( hahaha
Posted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:15 am
by chief5437
Oh dear, what have I gotten myself into?! Lol! Great post Coen, all these tips will come in very handy, cheers.
Great progress too, I'm feeling left out now. Hurry up Mr postman!!
Keep it coming fella

Re: Coen's Trumpy Challenger 2 Just paint :( hahaha
Posted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:01 am
by Coen
Re: Coen's Trumpy Challenger 2 Just paint :( hahaha
Posted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:12 am
by Paul
Looking good mike

I forgot to add that wire to the spool so thanks for reminding me

Re: Coen's Trumpy Challenger 2 Just paint :( hahaha
Posted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:31 am
by Rodney
yes sir..

looking really good

the tank that is

Re: Coen's Trumpy Challenger 2 Just paint :( hahaha
Posted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:52 pm
by Switcher
HollywoodModelling wrote:She's a beauty so far.. now dress her up!

Don't overdue the make up now

Re: Coen's Trumpy Challenger 2 Just paint :( hahaha
Posted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:49 pm
by Schoof
Switcher wrote:HollywoodModelling wrote:She's a beauty so far.. now dress her up!

Don't overdue the make up now

Just a natural look
Re: Coen's Trumpy Challenger 2 Just paint :( hahaha
Posted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:55 pm
by Paul
Schoof wrote:Switcher wrote:HollywoodModelling wrote:She's a beauty so far.. now dress her up!

Don't overdue the make up now

Just a natural look
With a small package

Re: Coen's Trumpy Challenger 2 Just paint :( hahaha
Posted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:13 pm
by Coen
quote="Paul"]
Schoof wrote:Switcher wrote:HollywoodModelling wrote:She's a beauty so far.. now dress her up!

Don't overdue the make up now

Just a natural look
With a small package

[/quote]
AAAAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!
I plan to beat the living hell out of her.
Like this.....

Re: Coen's Trumpy Challenger 2 Just paint :( hahaha
Posted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:08 am
by Coen
So the build is done.
There's just one little thing that I'm going to add. Thanks to Switcher for drawing my attention to it.
While we were talking about the purpose of a hatch on the top of an optics assembly for the main gun I noticed that the opening on the right hand side of the main gun that is equal to the coaxial machine gun has small hatch or door over it.
No such thing exists in the kit.
So I'll have to scratch something to represent it before I paint.
Until then...
The battle damage is done, mostly I bent and beat up the birdcage armour around the rear of the tank to simulate damage taken while scaling hills or steep inclines. The one in the picture that I'm using has such damage. I added some the the turret cage as well to simulate damage taken while turning the turret in tight confines.
I took my the back of the blade of my hobby knife and added a few scratches in the armoured side plates and that's about it.
Then I started the dio.
The sign is just a mock up to see if my printer could make the right colours.
Once the base is dry I'll start adding the textures and colours and add the final sign appearance. I won't be painting the chally until mid to late next week though. I want to get some work done on my other builds.
Re: Coen's Trumpy Challenger 2 Just paint :( hahaha
Posted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 2:06 am
by Switcher
Mike,
the little piece that you were confused at min 9:20 in your video, that you fitted on top of the gun optics belongs over the hole on the right side. No missing piece in the kit good buddy. I sent you a couple of e-mails, one with my instructions that clearly show where that piece goes. The other a picture depicting it in your pic above here.
Re: Coen's Trumpy Challenger 2 Just paint :( hahaha
Posted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:43 pm
by Coen
Re: Coen's Trumpy Challenger 2 Just paint :( hahaha
Posted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:00 pm
by T3hGuppy
Nice dude.
Just makes me want one of these myself more.
My wallet hates you lol.

Re: Coen's Trumpy Challenger 2 Just paint :( hahaha
Posted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:09 pm
by Coen
My wallet hates me too Ben... it hates Paul... and Lee... and a few others on here too haha.
Re: Coen's Trumpy Challenger 2 Just paint :( hahaha
Posted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:30 pm
by Nige201980
Looks great on that base mate. But what happened to the hill

Re: Coen's Trumpy Challenger 2 Just paint :( hahaha
Posted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:36 pm
by Coen
Budget cuts... Haha
You said that you were doin the hill?
Re: Coen's Trumpy Challenger 2 Just paint :( hahaha
Posted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:42 pm
by Nige201980
Coen wrote:Budget cuts... Haha
You said that you were doin the hill?
I also said you could do it lol.
Re: Coen's Trumpy Challenger 2 Just paint :( hahaha
Posted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:42 pm
by Paul
Coen wrote:Budget cuts... Haha
You said that you were doin the hill?
Lol I'm doing a hill, just to confuse things more lol
Re: Coen's Trumpy Challenger 2 Just paint :( hahaha
Posted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:49 pm
by Nige201980
Paul wrote:Coen wrote:Budget cuts... Haha
You said that you were doin the hill?
Lol I'm doing a hill, just to confuse things more lol
Haha hopefully they won't all look the same.
Re: Coen's Trumpy Challenger 2 Just paint :( hahaha
Posted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:56 pm
by Nige201980
How about something like this.
[URL=
http://s1328.photobucket.com/user/Nigel ... 9.jpg.html]

[/URL
How to do it I have no idea though lol
Re: Coen's Trumpy Challenger 2 Just paint :( hahaha
Posted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:00 pm
by Coen
Now that's a hill!!!
Holy Toledo! It's a chally2!
Re: Coen's Trumpy Challenger 2 Just paint :( hahaha
Posted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:06 pm
by wappynutter
Coen wrote:Now that's a hill!!!
Holy Toledo! It's a chally2!
Hahaha...... Maybe change the BB name and see if Luis is interested in joining in! Lol..
Excellent Mike.... Hmmmm I feel a train track diorama coming on from you??
Lol...

Re: Coen's Trumpy Challenger 2 Just paint :( hahaha
Posted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:50 pm
by chief5437
Looks great Coen mate, I really like the damage to the bar armour, very effective.

Re: Coen's Trumpy Challenger 2 Just paint :( hahaha
Posted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:38 pm
by Switcher
A taxidermist can pull that one off no sweat. Have you ever seen 3D taxidermy

Re: Coen's Trumpy Challenger 2 Just paint :( hahaha
Posted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 2:02 am
by Coen
I've no idea what 3D taxidermy is... but it sounds just slightly scary.
If I were to do a leaping chally I'd do it the same way that I did my PzII
only I'd do something different for the dust this time I think.

Re: Coen's Trumpy Challenger 2 Just paint :( hahaha
Posted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 3:02 am
by ForbesHutton
Biggest hill wins!