Page 1 of 3
Business as usual, slightly damaged city pub dio
Posted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:16 pm
by Hanger2
Something a bit different for me, but still with a bit of military in it.
The scene is a city pub, slightly damaged from an air raid earlier in the war and not yet fully repaired, a bit of roof damage and one of the side walls sured up with timber struts. I am thinking that amongst the figures will be the MasterBox, I believe it is, set of 2 GI's with their ladies so that will make the period mid 1942 onward.
The building is from Andy Preston's Trackpads website under his SWS banner, so now on with the build,
The pub comes in 5 fairly large resin pieces, the front comes in two pieces and is so a different piece can be used so the building can have a different use, the next one being a shop I believe. The edges needed a bit of filing the square them up but that is not too much of a problem.
After cleaning up all the parts fixed in place using Evostik Gripfill, any gaps filled and them the whole thing primed using my usual Halfords car primer.
As I wanted the right section to have some damage I boarded in the top window on that side
I the open doorway on the right I have made a module to fit that is the old "Jug & Bottle" which was where you could buy bottles or bring your own jug to take home your beer, crisps etc, this was usually done by the kids in the family as they were not allowed in the pub bars.
I have also tiled the Jug & Bottle floor, thanks to Google images, and fixed the module in place.
Next job will be adding the support struts to the end wall
Geoff
Re: Business as usual, slightly damaged city pub dio
Posted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:24 pm
by SyntaxModels
Interesting piece, I'm watching this for sure

Re: Business as usual, slightly damaged city pub dio
Posted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:41 pm
by Hanger2
Thanks Leo, pleased to have you aboard.
Geoff
Re: Business as usual, slightly damaged city pub dio
Posted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:56 pm
by Coen
Oh boy!!! it's only the first post and I can already see the awesome.
Re: Business as usual, slightly damaged city pub dio
Posted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 1:47 pm
by Hanger2
Thanks Coen hope it comes up to your expectation.
Geoff
Re: Business as usual, slightly damaged city pub dio
Posted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:17 pm
by Coen
If you're building Geoff, it will definitely surpass them.

Re: Business as usual, slightly damaged city pub dio
Posted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:37 pm
by Hanger2
Thanks mate
Re: Business as usual, slightly damaged city pub dio
Posted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:57 pm
by Hanger2
Strut made and fitted, it's made from ice lolly sticks and coffee stirrers
Geoff
Re: Business as usual, slightly damaged city pub dio
Posted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:54 pm
by Hanger2
Tarp fitted over damaged corner, made from blue thick hand wipe paper, PVA'd into place, this will be left to dry and then given another coat if needed.
Geoff
Re: Business as usual, slightly damaged city pub dio
Posted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 5:59 pm
by Tiger131
Looking forward to seeing this come along doing really well so far
Re: Business as usual, slightly damaged city pub dio
Posted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 6:18 pm
by Hanger2
Thanks Tiger, should be applying some paint tomorrow, so watch this space.
Geoff
Re: Business as usual, slightly damaged city pub dio
Posted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:09 pm
by trnkepfc
great job, looking forward...
Re: Business as usual, slightly damaged city pub dio
Posted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:56 pm
by Hanger2
Thanks
Geoff
Re: Business as usual, slightly damaged city pub dio
Posted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:04 pm
by ForbesHutton
Will the sign read "Rover's Return"?
Re: Business as usual, slightly damaged city pub dio
Posted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:42 pm
by Hanger2
Certainly not...................Sorry
Re: Business as usual, slightly damaged city pub dio
Posted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:04 am
by Coen
Oh my!
.... Just oh my! :O
Re: Business as usual, slightly damaged city pub dio
Posted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:24 am
by SyntaxModels
You're working well on this one mate, it'll turn out great!

Re: Business as usual, slightly damaged city pub dio
Posted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 4:46 am
by UKguyInUSA
This looks interesting....I'll be keeping my eye out on this one

Re: Business as usual, slightly damaged city pub dio
Posted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:46 pm
by Hanger2
Building now painted in a cement colouring so I can paint the individual bricks and leave the cement join showing
Lower half is given that colour as well to act as a light undercoat.
The bricks have now been painted in 3 different brick tones
The bits that are left are the remains of the cement rendering where the rest fell off due to the earlier damage
Geoff
Re: Business as usual, slightly damaged city pub dio
Posted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:41 pm
by SyntaxModels
Stunner work Geoff, loving this build!
Re: Business as usual, slightly damaged city pub dio
Posted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:02 am
by Hanger2
Thanks Leo, a long way to go yet but I am pleased with it so far.
Geoff
Re: Business as usual, slightly damaged city pub dio
Posted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:45 pm
by wappynutter
Excellent as always Geoff, will be following your progress closely.
I for one really enjoy your build threads..
Everything is simply done, yet so accurate, true and neat!
Well done so far.....
Continued success, stay safe and well my friend...

Re: Business as usual, slightly damaged city pub dio
Posted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:49 pm
by Hanger2
Many thanks Andy, I really appreciate your comments, I have another pic of todays progress but will post tomorrow.
Geoff
Re: Business as usual, slightly damaged city pub dio
Posted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:21 pm
by Hanger2
The rest of the building colours blocked in, the tarp is all the same colour it's just the lighting that makes the front part look darker.
The wooden boarding and the strut now needs to be painted next.
Geoff
Re: Business as usual, slightly damaged city pub dio
Posted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 10:03 am
by wappynutter
Re: Business as usual, slightly damaged city pub dio
Posted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:00 am
by Hanger2
Thanks Andy, not a problem, it brings two things I enjoy doing together, modelling and photography, and if by showing people how I do things can help other modellers that is what it's all about.
I have learnt so much in the last few years by looking at other modellers pics on sites like this and on Facebook and seeing how techniques are done, but in the end you adapt your style into your work.
Thanks again
geoff
Re: Business as usual, slightly damaged city pub dio
Posted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:04 am
by Coen
I can look at this all day long Geoff. Such a wonderful looking piece of work and there's so much more to do.
What a treat to watch this.
Re: Business as usual, slightly damaged city pub dio
Posted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:07 am
by SyntaxModels
This is still looking ace mate

, you're gonna make a right beast of this build I bet!
Re: Business as usual, slightly damaged city pub dio
Posted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 12:21 pm
by Hanger2
Many thanks Coen and Leo.
I will have to start adding some thin strips of tape across each window pane to stop the glass flying about in case of a bomb explosion next.
Re: Business as usual, slightly damaged city pub dio
Posted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 3:31 pm
by Gav0909
Awesome work Geoff, nice to see something a little different. Already it looks realistic, which is awesome!
Re: Business as usual, slightly damaged city pub dio
Posted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 5:22 pm
by Hanger2
Thanks Gav, pleased you like it.
Geoff
Re: Business as usual, slightly damaged city pub dio
Posted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 3:42 pm
by Hanger2
Tape added to windows to help stop the glass blowing in to the pub from a bomb blast, the covered in satin varnish and stained to give the brown tape look.
The remaining building give an oil based wash of very dilute Raw Umber Artist's Oil paint
All the brickwork given the oil based wash to deepen the relief when dry I shall dry-brush with neat White and Naples Yellow Artist's oils
It looks a bit grubby but this will be muted a bit by the dry-brushing but as it is a war torn city I still want it to be quite dirty.
Geoff
Re: Business as usual, slightly damaged city pub dio
Posted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 3:47 pm
by jbellos1
Fandamulous! Very nice looking city dio - so much going on with it - fun to watch your progress. Thanks!
Re: Business as usual, slightly damaged city pub dio
Posted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 3:49 pm
by Hanger2
Thanks Jon, pleased you like it
Geoff
Re: Business as usual, slightly damaged city pub dio
Posted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:49 pm
by Hanger2
Started doing some dry-brushing to pick up the high points, will do some more tomorrow after the dark wash has dried, I have started to do it now in two stages as I seem to get a better result.
Roof slates and tarp have been dry-brushed
Geoff
Re: Business as usual, slightly damaged city pub dio
Posted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:48 pm
by Coen
That's totally looking the part now Geoff. It's beautiful every step of the way.
Re: Business as usual, slightly damaged city pub dio
Posted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 6:18 pm
by Goose
Impressive work, absolutely breathtaking!
Keep up this good work
Goose
Re: Business as usual, slightly damaged city pub dio
Posted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:01 pm
by Hanger2
Many thanks Coen and Goose
Re: Business as usual, slightly damaged city pub dio
Posted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 8:29 am
by SyntaxModels
Looking great mate

Re: Business as usual, slightly damaged city pub dio
Posted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 10:26 am
by JayCub
Really love your work Geoff, certainly needed cheering up and wow im treated to this, along with interesting build steps its a joy to watch coming together
Tom
Re: Business as usual, slightly damaged city pub dio
Posted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 11:46 am
by Hanger2
Thanks a lot Leo and Tom and pleased it cheered you up Tom.
Geoff
Re: Business as usual, slightly damaged city pub dio
Posted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 8:42 am
by Nige201980
Amazing work Geoff looking forward to seeing this pan out.
Re: Business as usual, slightly damaged city pub dio
Posted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 8:52 am
by Hanger2
Thanks Nige, I need to start thinking about the base now
Geoff
Re: Business as usual, slightly damaged city pub dio
Posted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 10:51 am
by alextheblue
When you say "Business as Usual"Geoff, you're spot on as this is the same artistic awesome-ness that always has my jaw hitting the floor when I view your work.

Re: Business as usual, slightly damaged city pub dio
Posted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 11:05 am
by Hanger2
Many thanks Alex for your lovely comment, I feel humbled.
Geoff
Re: Business as usual, slightly damaged city pub dio
Posted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 1:00 pm
by Hanger2
Back in the modelling den after Christmas, thank goodness.
The base is now started on a piece of 10mm exterior ply, a bit left from the reroofing of the garage.
The pub positioned and other bits marked out.
The bare wood was given a coat of neat PVA glue and left to dry overnight, then DAS air-drying modelling clay thumbed onto the surface and smoothed out with a wet palette knife, using some thicker pieces for the kerb and pavement areas. After leaving it the skin a bit, about an hour, I used my home-made cobble maker to press into the roadway to get the required effect, the pavement was done with a modelling knife.
A small section of the path between the two ruined houses was done by pushing rice into the DAS and applying a dilute flooding coat of PVA over it and now left to dry. The corner of the house ruin has some home made bricks fixed in place, I shall be adding bricks to this during a later stage.
Road and pavement given a basic coat of paint, more paint shades will be added to each cobble and slab later.
Geoff
Re: Business as usual, slightly damaged city pub dio
Posted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 11:29 am
by Hanger2
Spent yesterday doing some brick laying, using the bricks I made using Diorama Debris moulds I got from Andy Preston in his Trackpads webshop.
I cleaned them up this morning using a small brass rotary brush in a mini drill
Very please with the end result, now to fill in behind with building debris, bricks, wood, tiles, etc
Geoff
Re: Business as usual, slightly damaged city pub dio
Posted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 12:05 pm
by Coen
Rice and 1/35 brick laying.

notes taken
That's freaking clever work with the rice Geoff. I've seen something similar using noodles once. He also used nodes for roofing tiles. He cut them in halves and made Mediterranean style clay tiles with them.
I love that kind of thing.
Thanks for sharing that bud.
That brick wall is stupendous!
Re: Business as usual, slightly damaged city pub dio
Posted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 12:12 pm
by Hanger2
Thanks Coen, pleased you like it. I must try that way of making Med. style roof tiles, thanks
Geoff
Re: Business as usual, slightly damaged city pub dio
Posted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 12:43 pm
by wappynutter
Coen wrote:Rice and 1/35 brick laying.

notes taken
That's freaking clever work with the rice Geoff. I've seen something similar using noodles once. He also used nodes for roofing tiles. He cut them in halves and made Mediterranean style clay tiles with them.
I love that kind of thing.
Thanks for sharing that bud.
That brick wall is stupendous!
I'm with Mike all the way!!! Geoff this is fantastically good Sir, i so love your builds.
Those ruins are spot on, the bricks look like the real deal, even the colour etc... is spot on.

Bravo my friend..
Looking forward to the next installment, but before that i'd just like to wish you all the best for 2015...
Thanks again for finding the time to share your creations...
