HobbyBoss 1/16 Tiger RC build

Whether its tracked or wheeled, this is the place for it
Post Reply
User avatar
sef
Corporal
Corporal
Posts: 55
Joined: Tue Nov 11, 2014 9:13 pm
Location: Highbrook Studio

HobbyBoss 1/16 Tiger RC build

Post by sef »

I have both the above kits in the stash waiting to be built and due to some luck on the bay of E I also have the same tanks in their RC form. Sadly they no longer work but I am able to see how I could possibly make one of the HobbyBoss kits RC.

I have the early HengLong Panther which is quite awful as it has Tiger running gear. I'm thinking of removing and transplanting all the electronics from the Panther into one of the HobbyBoss kits.

It seems that the T34 does have some accuracy issues and there aren't as many 'extras' for it as there are for the Tiger.

With all this in mind, I am seriously thinking of trying a fairly detailed build with the end result being something that visually looks good and that can also be run as RC.

It would certainly give me the opportunity to upgrade the gears and track to metal items.

So, thoughts on this. Worth a go, or just go for full detail as a static model?
Last edited by sef on Sat Dec 20, 2014 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
On the bench
1) 1:35 A7V - Need to create or paint on markings
2) 1:35 Academy Tiger 1 - May use this for a destroyed Tiger dio
3) 1:16 Panda 38t
4) 1:32 Revell He162 - starting January for the buddy build
5) 1:16 HobbyBoss Tiger - starting January - RC conversion
User avatar
Coen
General
General
Posts: 10136
Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:04 am
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada
Contact:
Canada

Re: HobbyBoss 1/16 Tiger and T34

Post by Coen »

It sounds like a very wicked experiment Sef. I'd go for it if I had the options.
You'd certianly learn a tonne of new things and in my tiny crazy world that makes it worth it.
I for one would love to see you do it, mostly because I've build the hobby boss tiger as a static model and it think that making it full R/C would be really interesting to watch.
User avatar
sef
Corporal
Corporal
Posts: 55
Joined: Tue Nov 11, 2014 9:13 pm
Location: Highbrook Studio

Re: HobbyBoss 1/16 Tiger and T34

Post by sef »

Many thanks. I've had a look at the original RC tanks and I'll be able to use certain parts like the turret turning mechanism and the battery box. I'm now looking at whether I'll go with the early board from the Heng Long Panther or get myself an RX18 and maybe go for a smoking unit too. I'll post a couple of pics later of the tanks I have to use for parts/spares. I'd be interested to know how your build went especially with the extras as I'd like to build something that looks good/accurate and runs too. Depending on how I get on, I may consider doing the same with the T34. This will obviously be a long term project that I hope to complete by the end of 2015...
On the bench
1) 1:35 A7V - Need to create or paint on markings
2) 1:35 Academy Tiger 1 - May use this for a destroyed Tiger dio
3) 1:16 Panda 38t
4) 1:32 Revell He162 - starting January for the buddy build
5) 1:16 HobbyBoss Tiger - starting January - RC conversion
User avatar
Coen
General
General
Posts: 10136
Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:04 am
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada
Contact:
Canada

Re: HobbyBoss 1/16 Tiger and T34

Post by Coen »

I'll be happy to help in any way that I can Sef.
You should know... It took me a year to build just the tiger... :O
User avatar
sef
Corporal
Corporal
Posts: 55
Joined: Tue Nov 11, 2014 9:13 pm
Location: Highbrook Studio

Re: HobbyBoss 1/16 Tiger and T34

Post by sef »

Thanks again. I'd be interested to know what extras you recommend for the build.

Photos below are what I have to play with for parts etc. Tiger 122 is the one that Hobbyboss have used for their kit. The same goes for the T34 as I've taken it apart and it is identical. The sorry looking Tiger is the old Heng Long offering that I may try to repair at some point. At least with these two Tigers, I can see how to mount all the parts and electronics etc...

Image

Image

Image
On the bench
1) 1:35 A7V - Need to create or paint on markings
2) 1:35 Academy Tiger 1 - May use this for a destroyed Tiger dio
3) 1:16 Panda 38t
4) 1:32 Revell He162 - starting January for the buddy build
5) 1:16 HobbyBoss Tiger - starting January - RC conversion
User avatar
Coen
General
General
Posts: 10136
Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:04 am
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada
Contact:
Canada

Re: HobbyBoss 1/16 Tiger RC build

Post by Coen »

It depends on what variant of the tiger you're looking to model Sef, the one that hobby boss has in the box is a mid war post Kursk variant, but it needs a couple of corrections. If there's a specific tank that you're looking to model that could mean more modifications.
I know of a couple of places that carry the stock of a few bits and pieces for some upgrades, a few other fixes you can make yourself if you're up to trying it.
User avatar
sef
Corporal
Corporal
Posts: 55
Joined: Tue Nov 11, 2014 9:13 pm
Location: Highbrook Studio

Re: HobbyBoss 1/16 Tiger RC build

Post by sef »

I'll go for the one in the box to be honest, as I don't want to over complicate things and make even more work for myself.
On the bench
1) 1:35 A7V - Need to create or paint on markings
2) 1:35 Academy Tiger 1 - May use this for a destroyed Tiger dio
3) 1:16 Panda 38t
4) 1:32 Revell He162 - starting January for the buddy build
5) 1:16 HobbyBoss Tiger - starting January - RC conversion
User avatar
Coen
General
General
Posts: 10136
Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:04 am
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada
Contact:
Canada

Re: HobbyBoss 1/16 Tiger RC build

Post by Coen »

That's a good plan, if you plan to upgrade anything then there's less to do that way.
I'll put together a list of potential bits and bobs you can look at and you can decide if you would like to use them.
User avatar
sef
Corporal
Corporal
Posts: 55
Joined: Tue Nov 11, 2014 9:13 pm
Location: Highbrook Studio

Re: HobbyBoss 1/16 Tiger RC build

Post by sef »

Many thanks. I really appreciate it... :)
On the bench
1) 1:35 A7V - Need to create or paint on markings
2) 1:35 Academy Tiger 1 - May use this for a destroyed Tiger dio
3) 1:16 Panda 38t
4) 1:32 Revell He162 - starting January for the buddy build
5) 1:16 HobbyBoss Tiger - starting January - RC conversion
User avatar
Coen
General
General
Posts: 10136
Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:04 am
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada
Contact:
Canada

Re: HobbyBoss 1/16 Tiger RC build

Post by Coen »

Ok Sef,
Sorry about the delay bud. I got tied up over the holiday. I need to be able to sit down and compile a list and that just wasn't possible with two little kids full of santa and chocolate.
Peace has been restored and I put together that list.

You certainly don't need to use all of the items on this list, in fact if you did it would cost almost as much as one of the Tamiya 1/16 kits maybe.
These are just things that could use a bit of improvement.

I use two places to find everything that I needed for my kit http://www.welshdragonmodels.co.uk/ and http://www.axels-modellbau-shop.de/

The first thing that needs a bit of help is the tracks. The HB ones are full of pin marks and are a little overscale. There are a few sets out there that cost over 100 euros but these worked fine for me on mine. I used the early ones, you would need the mid/late ones.
They come coated in an oil that you'll need to clean off. But once they're primed they look excellent. The weight is incredible and adds the sense of scale weight.

http://www.welshdragonmodels.co.uk/taig ... 1459-p.asp

The rest of these add-ons, aside from the tool holders, will involve considerable modification of the kit to get them to fit. As yet there isn't much in the way of aftermarket for the Hobbyboss kit, so we have to modify the available AM parts to fit it.

The front mud flaps on the kit lack some of the subtle details that would make them look like they can move. These would need to be cut off and the glacis cleaned up. Then this set installed.

http://www.welshdragonmodels.co.uk/aber ... -156-p.asp

The side fenders on the kit are moulded on and a bit thick. It's possible to separate, thin, and damage them but it's difficult. However, removing them would be as well if not more so. Still, the PE versions would look fantastic and the detail would certainly be escalated.

http://www.welshdragonmodels.co.uk/aber ... -158-p.asp

These are excellent and do the job wonderfully. I recommend these highly. The damaged shrouds on a tiger are almost iconic.

http://www.welshdragonmodels.co.uk/aber ... -159-p.asp

The kit didn't offer an antenna so I had to use this one. It's missing the rubber base and I had to scratch build it for my build.

http://www.welshdragonmodels.co.uk/aber ... -698-p.asp

Most of this tool set you can use on your kit, even though it says that it's for the early. The clamps are the same, it's just the axe and hammer that would be a bit different, but it's an excellent improvement to your kit.

http://www.welshdragonmodels.co.uk/aber ... -154-p.asp

This tool set is another option that you could explore as well.

http://www.welshdragonmodels.co.uk/7-pa ... -942-p.asp

If you don't want to add the zimmerit yourself you can use the Atak set, there's one available for the HB tiger now.

http://atakmodel.istore.pl/en/zm-1611-z ... ction.html

The armoured covers for the engine filter intake and the transmission covers are missing from the kit. These fix that nicely.

http://www.welshdragonmodels.co.uk/taig ... -965-p.asp

If you want to put crew in the driver and radioman's hatches you'll need to remove the moulded on ones (no easy task, I know, I've done it) and replace them with these.

http://www.welshdragonmodels.co.uk/taig ... -516-p.asp
and these
http://www.welshdragonmodels.co.uk/asia ... -685-p.asp
or these ...
http://www.welshdragonmodels.co.uk/taig ... 2047-p.asp

The commander's cupola is ok on the kit, but it's plugged. So if you want to add a crewmen you'd have to fiddle about with it to get that to work.
The kit part was ok but if you wanted to improve it, it would be expensive.
You'd need seven of these periscopes...
http://www.welshdragonmodels.co.uk/asia ... -685-p.asp
or these...
http://www.welshdragonmodels.co.uk/taig ... 2047-p.asp

and one of either of these sets...
http://www.welshdragonmodels.co.uk/taig ... -362-p.asp
or
http://www.welshdragonmodels.co.uk/schu ... -237-p.asp
http://www.welshdragonmodels.co.uk/taig ... -362-p.asp

The escape hatch for the loader is moulded in place as is his roof hatch. If you wanted to make them workable then a lot of work would be needed. I planed to do that myself but ended up only doing the escape hatch on the side of the turret.

http://www.welshdragonmodels.co.uk/taig ... -588-p.asp
http://www.welshdragonmodels.co.uk/taig ... -363-p.asp

Then there's the grills. I actually can't remember if any came with the HB kit or not. Either way, I do know that I bought these. They were nice and will do the job on the early or mid production.

http://www.welshdragonmodels.co.uk/aber ... -155-p.asp

At 1/16 scale it would be very easy to see both layers of the grills on the intakes on the engine deck so some of this cut to match the shape of the top grill and laid underneath would do the job.

http://store.spruebrothers.com/product_p/amwtw009.htm

Finally... a new gun barrel. The one that comes with the kit has an ok shape but has no interior for the muzzle and is moulded in two pieces.
The other issue is the why that the kit's mantlet attaches to the trunions in the turret. The pivot points are all wrong and you'll have to do some work to fix that. I show how I did it in one my my vids on my build.

http://www.welshdragonmodels.co.uk/taig ... -364-p.asp

As I said, you don't need all of these things to improve your kit, but some would go a long way to giving it a better look.
Hope that helps. :)
User avatar
sef
Corporal
Corporal
Posts: 55
Joined: Tue Nov 11, 2014 9:13 pm
Location: Highbrook Studio

Re: HobbyBoss 1/16 Tiger RC build

Post by sef »

Many, many thanks for the list. Sorry for the late reply, I've been on the Christmas family visits so haven't had the time to check the forum.

There's a lot of useful information here. I'll have a look through it all and see what I want to do budget wise etc.

This is going to be fun :)
On the bench
1) 1:35 A7V - Need to create or paint on markings
2) 1:35 Academy Tiger 1 - May use this for a destroyed Tiger dio
3) 1:16 Panda 38t
4) 1:32 Revell He162 - starting January for the buddy build
5) 1:16 HobbyBoss Tiger - starting January - RC conversion
Post Reply

Return to “Armour & Military Vehicles”