Weathering help
Posted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:48 pm
Right, I am in need of help from the collective minds of ISM!
I am doing this M10 for the WW2 GB and thought I would ask this here rather than the thread to get more answers.
Basically I want to go for a well used, muddy look on the tank. It will be portrayed in Normandy, and so I am thinking mud weathering more than dust. US and UK vehicles apparently didn't chip much (good paint) and so chipping and rust will be kept to a minimum, perhaps just a touch round some bolt heads, hinges areas of very high wear.
But my main request is help with mud effects. Now I don't want to go totally over board, but I want to portray ingrained mud on the tracks (think clots of dry and wet mud between the links etc) and on the bogies. Placement for realism I can work out from reference pics, but its more how to create this mud in the first place. I want to have a 3D look so it needs to be more than a plain pigment wash (though of course that will probably form the base later). I don't have money to spend on getting new pigments etc so it has to be a cheap and cheerful, but effective method. I do have medium and light earth pigments from Forgeworld, but they are hard to work with and don't give very satisfactory results, and neither is a very good earth tone if truth be told!
So any help, hints tips etc is much appreciated!
Cheers
I am doing this M10 for the WW2 GB and thought I would ask this here rather than the thread to get more answers.
Basically I want to go for a well used, muddy look on the tank. It will be portrayed in Normandy, and so I am thinking mud weathering more than dust. US and UK vehicles apparently didn't chip much (good paint) and so chipping and rust will be kept to a minimum, perhaps just a touch round some bolt heads, hinges areas of very high wear.
But my main request is help with mud effects. Now I don't want to go totally over board, but I want to portray ingrained mud on the tracks (think clots of dry and wet mud between the links etc) and on the bogies. Placement for realism I can work out from reference pics, but its more how to create this mud in the first place. I want to have a 3D look so it needs to be more than a plain pigment wash (though of course that will probably form the base later). I don't have money to spend on getting new pigments etc so it has to be a cheap and cheerful, but effective method. I do have medium and light earth pigments from Forgeworld, but they are hard to work with and don't give very satisfactory results, and neither is a very good earth tone if truth be told!
So any help, hints tips etc is much appreciated!
Cheers