Page 1 of 2

Revell 1/32 Colonial Viper Mk.II (BSG)

Posted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:53 am
by Lee
I love Battlestar Galactica, especially the new series - Thought it was awesome and have the lot on DVD!

I kept promising myself I'd get a BSG kit but, just never got around to it until my wife bought me one for my birthday (I know, she's a keeper ;) ). That'll do for the upcoming Sci-Fi SiG I thought :D

Battlestar Galactica chronicles the journey of the last surviving humans from the Twelve Colonies of Kobol after their nuclear annihilation by the Cylons. The survivors are led by President Laura Roslin and Commander William Adama in a ragtag fleet of ships with the Battlestar Galactica, an old but powerful warship, as its command ship. Pursued by Cylons intent on wiping out the remnants of the human race, the survivors travel across the galaxy looking for the fabled and long-lost "thirteenth" colony: Earth. Unlike most space opera series, Battlestar Galactica has no aliens (the antagonists are man-made Cylon robots), the primary armaments used by both military forces utilize bullets, rail guns, and missiles instead of lasers. BSG deals with the apocalyptic fallout of the destruction of the Twelve Colonies upon the survivors, and the moral choices they must make as they deal with the decline of the human race and their war with the Cylons. Stories also portray the concept of perpetuated cycles of hate and violence driving the human-Cylon conflict, and religion, with the implication of a "God" whose angelic agents appear to certain main characters (most notably Gaius Baltar).

Colonial Viper Mk.II - The Viper is armed with multiple kinetic energy weapons. Both known models have weapon hard points for mounting missiles under the wings.
2 forward-firing 30mm mass accelerator cannons mounted in the wing roots, each with an 800-round ammunition capacity and a 20-round-per-second fire rate.
1 forward-firing Lightning Javelin missile launcher in the belly, with an 8-round ammunition capacity.
1 to 2 missiles.


I'll get started on this as soon as I hit primer stage on the Lavochkin La-7 I have in the WWII GB.


I did a review of the kit which you can see here....

[youtube]62hZU-vmWpA[/youtube]


And here are the obligatory box and sprue shots.....

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image


Really looking forward to building this :D

Re: Revell 1/32 Colonial Viper Mk.II (BSG)

Posted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:00 am
by Bagpiper
Another one of my favourites. Watched the video too. Love the base that comes with this kit. Good luck with the build Lee. Hope you don't have too many problems with gaps like I do :violin: :violin: :violin: :lol:

Cheers
Jim

Re: Revell 1/32 Colonial Viper Mk.II (BSG)

Posted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:06 am
by BrummieModeller
This looks a great kit bet it will be heaven to build lol compared to the 1/76 scales kits I'm doing at the moment :tongue: Even my SiG build is 1/72 at this rate I'll be at 1/32 In about 10years lol

Re: Revell 1/32 Colonial Viper Mk.II (BSG)

Posted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:02 am
by RED
cant wait to see this one progress, I have it sitting in the stash (and has been for about a year and a half)

Re: Revell 1/32 Colonial Viper Mk.II (BSG)

Posted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:10 pm
by Coen
build me..

buiiiiild meeeeee!!!!!
Leeeeeeeeeee

BUILD ME!

:evil: :twisted:

Re: Revell 1/32 Colonial Viper Mk.II (BSG)

Posted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:49 pm
by Lee
Coen wrote:build me..

buiiiiild meeeeee!!!!!
Leeeeeeeeeee

BUILD ME!

:evil: :twisted:
lol.....

Time is a precious commodity at the moment my friend :(

Re: Revell 1/32 Colonial Viper Mk.II (BSG)

Posted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:56 pm
by Coen
Oh we'll
Sigh
Ok then




Build me


:boom:

Re: Revell 1/32 Colonial Viper Mk.II (BSG)

Posted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:33 pm
by chief5437
That looks way cool! I'm in the process of watching the new bsg on netflix, it's great so far.

Re: Revell 1/32 Colonial Viper Mk.II (BSG)

Posted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:38 pm
by Tiger131
nice seen the vid now lets watch the build...and you've got to show your birds in one of your videos they are trying there hardest to join in with you :th:

Re: Revell 1/32 Colonial Viper Mk.II (BSG)

Posted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:58 pm
by Lee
Here you go Tiger, they're in here somewhere... :D

[youtube]TPthgjjmw1w[/youtube]

Re: Revell 1/32 Colonial Viper Mk.II (BSG)

Posted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:47 pm
by Lee
Managed to get a couple of hours in the cave this morning....

Got all parts off the sprues and sanded down...

Image


Not an easy job considering the EPMs on this kit are mahoosive and everywhere....!! Plus they've kindly numbered the parts where it would show. So, a lot of sanding...lol

Image


Legs all together and filled...

Image


Unfortunately, one of the nacelles had snapped in the box, didn't notice until today - Right on a hard spot to hide too.... :(

Image


Cockpit all primed and ready for paint and decals...

Image

Image



Decided not to use the pilot as one arm seems to be a LOT bigger than the other! Bet you can't guess way...... Dirty Apollo....!!! :lol:

Image

Image


Away next week so, wont get much done at all :(

Re: Revell 1/32 Colonial Viper Mk.II (BSG)

Posted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:52 pm
by Coen
Too bad about that nacelle Lee.
I hope that you can fix it.
I'm glad that you finally get to lay your hands on this one.
I've been looking forward to this build. :D

Re: Revell 1/32 Colonial Viper Mk.II (BSG)

Posted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:09 pm
by Bagpiper
Coming along mate. Looking forward to seeing how you paint this. Are you going to do your own thing or follow the box or the television to get your colour scheme?

Cheers
Jim

Re: Revell 1/32 Colonial Viper Mk.II (BSG)

Posted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:15 pm
by chief5437
Get back to work! Lol!
I've watched the whole of BSG since you worked on this, you're as bad as me!

Re: Revell 1/32 Colonial Viper Mk.II (BSG)

Posted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:39 pm
by Paul
Nice work mate I'm sure you will sort the broken part once you get back from sunning yourself on your private yacht. :banana: :nena:

Re: Revell 1/32 Colonial Viper Mk.II (BSG)

Posted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:22 pm
by Lee
Cheers fellas.....

Will be back on it when I get back off hols :)


Bagpiper wrote:Coming along mate. Looking forward to seeing how you paint this. Are you going to do your own thing or follow the box or the television to get your colour scheme?

Cheers
Jim
I'm a box builder Jim, usually always will paint a box scheme mate. Have to watch. A few more episodes though, just to make sure of course ;)

Re: Revell 1/32 Colonial Viper Mk.II (BSG)

Posted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 1:46 pm
by Lee
Managed to get an hours worth of decaling in last night!


It doesn't show on the pics but there is quite a bit of weathering in the form of aluminium coming through the grey, camera's just not picking it up!
Also ging to do more weathering the cockpit to dirty it up a bit but, not sure how far I want to go yet. Will decide once I've got a mat coat over it all....

Image

Image

Image

Image


And just a quick pic of my decaling system....

Image


Hopefully get some time in tonight and get the fuselage buttoned up :D

Re: Revell 1/32 Colonial Viper Mk.II (BSG)

Posted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 1:48 pm
by Paul
Looking good mate :th:

Re: Revell 1/32 Colonial Viper Mk.II (BSG)

Posted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 4:15 pm
by T3hGuppy
Nice looking cockpit you have their sir ;)

Coming together nicely.

Re: Revell 1/32 Colonial Viper Mk.II (BSG)

Posted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 6:18 pm
by Coen
And that's what happens when an aircraft modeller gets his hands on a Viper cockpit.
BAM!
Wonderful.
Great stuff Lee. Nailed all the wee details.
:th: :thumb1: :th:

Re: Revell 1/32 Colonial Viper Mk.II (BSG)

Posted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:15 pm
by 5Craven
Really nice looking cockpit :thumb2: Can't wait to see more.

Re: Revell 1/32 Colonial Viper Mk.II (BSG)

Posted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:46 pm
by Lee
Cheers chaps :)

Re: Revell 1/32 Colonial Viper Mk.II (BSG)

Posted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:09 am
by Lee
Managed to get quite a bit done today!


I don't what it is, but lately I've managed to pick up every model box that contains a warped, twisted or misaligned fuselage. It's really starting to grate!


Anyways, the fuselage was quite a way out when using the locating pins. I usually just cut them off and align myself but, this plastic is slippery and I didn't want to mess it up so, I got the berna clamps out and fiddled with it until I was happy - as you can see....
Image


A LOT of gaps and sink marks on the fuselage to contend with...
Image

Image


A better shot of the cockpit , you can just see some weathering...lol....
Image


Going to have to glue the legs to this belly part along with the wheel bay doors. Paint and weather it up and join to the main section later. I've got the chipping colour down, just got to put the hairspray layer on next, same with the canopy....
Image

Image


Painted and weathered the laser pods...
Image

and part of the rear engine....
Image

Image


Also painted and weathered the rear engine and nozzles. Think I'm going to add some blue steel pigment to this as well tomorrow - Not quite there yet imo....
Image

Image

Image


Really want to get this together tomorrow if I'm allowed some man time..... :D

Re: Revell 1/32 Colonial Viper Mk.II (BSG)

Posted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:42 am
by Coen
I had the same fit issues with mine Lee. I think that it's just a fact of the kit.
It's a weird plastic.
It'll look awesome in the end though. I really can't wait to see what yours turns out like.
It's already looking better than mine.
:th: :th: :th:

Re: Revell 1/32 Colonial Viper Mk.II (BSG)

Posted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:47 am
by T3hGuppy
Great update buddy :th:

Those engines look really nice now painted.

Its so annoying that most Sci-Fi kits don't go together well would be nice if they where the same quality as the Tamiya for example.

Re: Revell 1/32 Colonial Viper Mk.II (BSG)

Posted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:07 am
by Nige201980
looking great mate and great work of sorting the problems you had out

Re: Revell 1/32 Colonial Viper Mk.II (BSG)

Posted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:08 am
by Paul
Nice work lee, bout time you got some modelling done mate :th:

Re: Revell 1/32 Colonial Viper Mk.II (BSG)

Posted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:07 am
by Lee
Cheers fellas......



I know, tell me about it!
Paul wrote:Nice work lee, bout time you got some modelling done mate :th:

Re: Revell 1/32 Colonial Viper Mk.II (BSG)

Posted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:15 am
by gosselin2112
Looking great!! :bow:: :bow:: :bow::

There was a great many BSG subjects this year at IPMS USA Nationals this year. And some nice scratch builds to boot! Check out my channel in a few weeks for the highlights.

Again, nice work on the Viper!

Russell.

Re: Revell 1/32 Colonial Viper Mk.II (BSG)

Posted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:27 am
by Lee
Thanks Russ :D

Re: Revell 1/32 Colonial Viper Mk.II (BSG)

Posted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:41 pm
by Lee
Got a bit more done tonight.....

Got the canopy on. Don't think I've ever used so much canopy glue in one hit before! The gap is massive. There's still one at the back where I've taped it, but it'll have to stay there as there is nothing I can do with it. I've taped over it to stop any paint getting inside the cockpit - it's that big!

Image


I then painted the bottom of the fuselage with AK's chipping medium (4 coats) and then 2 coats of Tamiya white. All ready to try out AK's replacement for hairspray....

Image


Now, two things I have to point out before the next picture. Or rather two bits of advice - DON'T model after having a couple of drinks (Morgan's Spiced Rum to be precise) and DON'T bother with Ak's new chipping or worn effects - they're pants!

As you can see Where I had had a few sherbets, I seemed to have over done the weathering a little.....lol.

Image

It's a Dalmation Viper....!!!

Image


It wasn't until I sat back and looked at it as a whole I realised I'd gone just a tad too far.... :roll: Will strip it down tomorrow and redo it, but with hairspray this time. The AK worn effects is pants, I practically had to dig the paint off, which made it completely unrealistic. What you see on that pic is where I've hand painted over the AK chips to make it look a little more realistic. I absolutely soaked the paint and it would not come off and when it did it took the aluminium coat off I was trying to show and went straight through to the primer! Bear in mind I put 4 coats of the Ak stuff on too..... Utter pants - Stick with hairspray, if it isn't broke don't try to fix it.... :th:

Re: Revell 1/32 Colonial Viper Mk.II (BSG)

Posted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:44 pm
by Paul
Weird, I had a job getting the paint off but it worked well, I found using a little pad of scourer worked much better and faster too.

Re: Revell 1/32 Colonial Viper Mk.II (BSG)

Posted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:29 am
by Coen
I've hear the same thing about it from two fellas at my LHS not a week ago. Actually they said it sucked dog not one, but two male appendages.... But you get the idea.

Re: Revell 1/32 Colonial Viper Mk.II (BSG)

Posted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:55 am
by BrummieModeller
Great work mate :th:

Re: Revell 1/32 Colonial Viper Mk.II (BSG)

Posted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:57 pm
by Lee
Well, after two failed attempts (strip back down and start again - twice!!!) with the AK chipping fluid I've given it the elbow and decided to paint the chips on. Could've used the hairspray, but really couldn't be arsed after two strip downs!

So, bay doors on....

Image


and legs glued in....

Image

With minimal weathering....

Image


Going to try and get this on the bottom tomorrow, then it's a clear run until paint.... :D

Re: Revell 1/32 Colonial Viper Mk.II (BSG)

Posted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:11 am
by Paul
Unlucky with the chipping mate, fingers crossed no more problems :th:

Re: Revell 1/32 Colonial Viper Mk.II (BSG)

Posted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:29 am
by Lee
Managed to get everything together last night. There's a couple of tiny areas that need some filling, then it's primer on and white base coat hopefully tonight or tomorrow :D

Image

Image

Re: Revell 1/32 Colonial Viper Mk.II (BSG)

Posted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:48 am
by Paul
Looking good mate.

Good to see you doing some modelling mate :th:

Re: Revell 1/32 Colonial Viper Mk.II (BSG)

Posted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:40 am
by Coen
Holy cow... Lee's a modeller?
Who'd a thought?

Haha :lol:

Until you started this build I had no idea that there was another offering out there of a reimaged Viper.
I thought that Mobieus' was the only one.
You're doing a hell of a better job than I did on my Viper haha. I love watching this. :th: :th: :th:


I should probably mention that the Mobieus one has the same fit issues that Revell one does and the Mobieus decals are really thick.
I had to use paint to replace some of mine because they wouldn't settle down. :wall:

Re: Revell 1/32 Colonial Viper Mk.II (BSG)

Posted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:54 am
by Lee
The Moebius and the Revell kits are the same kit, except you get a resin figure in the Moebius offering and what looks like some one who's gone a few rounds with Mike Tyson in the Revell version!

Re: Revell 1/32 Colonial Viper Mk.II (BSG)

Posted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:40 am
by Coen
Right then, that makes perfect sense, (not).
Well I can tell ya that the resin figure in the Moebius kit looks like a Tyson victim as well haha.

Re: Revell 1/32 Colonial Viper Mk.II (BSG)

Posted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:23 am
by Lee
It's just a rebox Michael :D

Re: Revell 1/32 Colonial Viper Mk.II (BSG)

Posted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:42 am
by chief5437
Looking great Lee! Bad luck with the chipping fluid. I've had mixed results with it myself. I think it might be a fine line between having the paint/fluid too wet and too dry. That's my experience with it anyway!

Re: Revell 1/32 Colonial Viper Mk.II (BSG)

Posted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:42 pm
by Lee
Yeah - I'm going to spray at a higher pressure next time and 5-6 thinner coats, see if that works :D

Re: Revell 1/32 Colonial Viper Mk.II (BSG)

Posted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:49 pm
by Paul
Lee wrote:Yeah - I'm going to spray at a higher pressure next time and 5-6 thinner coats, see if that works :D
I think it needs thicker coats, I had better results in areas where it had pooled.

Re: Revell 1/32 Colonial Viper Mk.II (BSG)

Posted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:40 pm
by chief5437
Paul wrote:
Lee wrote:Yeah - I'm going to spray at a higher pressure next time and 5-6 thinner coats, see if that works :D
I think it needs thicker coats, I had better results in areas where it had pooled.

Yeah, I had better results when I brushed it on.

Re: Revell 1/32 Colonial Viper Mk.II (BSG)

Posted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:46 pm
by Lee
Paul wrote:
Lee wrote:Yeah - I'm going to spray at a higher pressure next time and 5-6 thinner coats, see if that works :D
I think it needs thicker coats, I had better results in areas where it had pooled.
Tried that and it was even worse...!!

Re: Revell 1/32 Colonial Viper Mk.II (BSG)

Posted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:54 pm
by chief5437
Lee wrote:
Paul wrote:
Lee wrote:Yeah - I'm going to spray at a higher pressure next time and 5-6 thinner coats, see if that works :D
I think it needs thicker coats, I had better results in areas where it had pooled.
Tried that and it was even worse...!!

Oh, must be a case of operator error then! Lol!

Re: Revell 1/32 Colonial Viper Mk.II (BSG)

Posted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:57 pm
by Paul
Lee wrote:
Paul wrote:
Lee wrote:Yeah - I'm going to spray at a higher pressure next time and 5-6 thinner coats, see if that works :D
I think it needs thicker coats, I had better results in areas where it had pooled.
Tried that and it was even worse...!!
Hmm is it the heavy chipping fluid or the worn effects you used?

Re: Revell 1/32 Colonial Viper Mk.II (BSG)

Posted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:01 pm
by Lee
Worn effects...