Tiger I Group Build (Coen) gb64c

Whether its tracked or wheeled, this is the place for it
Post Reply
User avatar
Gb64c
First Sergeant
First Sergeant
Posts: 557
Joined: Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:48 am
Location: JAX, Florida, USA

Tiger I Group Build (Coen) gb64c

Post by Gb64c »

So it begins, the Tiger I Mid-Production by Dragon (DML) kit 6700.

My experience with Dragon is limited to an old kit T 80 with ERA which did not please me. However, I hear so much positive about the new Dragon kits I decided to ask Mike to suggest a kit, and this was one of several.

I picked it up in Japan for about $40.00 USD.

Looking at the sprues the detail is amazing; a working torsion system, about thirty parts for the jack alone. It appears to be complex and will test my abilities and patience.

However, I need to move up a notch on complexity even though I still have dozens of old Tamyia kits in my stash from twenty years ago and think this kit is just the answer.

Below are some customary box and sprue shots. I will spare you the history of the Tiger, about 3,200 people are building it, so there is a lot of good reading out there.

I will be adding to my thread and indicate how the build is going, issues, attributes and any helpful hints I can provide. At this point I am unsure if I will do a winter camo or standard. I have a long ways to go before paint.

Thanks
:cheers2:

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

about three hundred sprues

Image
gb64c

:cheers2:

79th. Engineers Combat Battalion (Heavy)
Fait Accompli
User avatar
Art17847
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant
Posts: 386
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:43 pm
Location: smack dab in the middle of PA.......

Re: Tiger I Group Build (Coen) gb64c

Post by Art17847 »

That's a nice kit....nothing like feeling overwhelmed when u open a dragon kit although u will prolly only use half the parts....good luck with ur build
On the bench........uummmmm i dont have a bench......not yet anyway

Ike jokingly to Patton......"funny thing George every time I get a new star I get attacked"

Patton...."yes and every time you get attacked i bail you out"
User avatar
Gb64c
First Sergeant
First Sergeant
Posts: 557
Joined: Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:48 am
Location: JAX, Florida, USA

Re: Tiger I Group Build (Coen) gb64c

Post by Gb64c »

Came home to relax and work on the Tiger, but I forgot, it's a Dragon.

So I am stuck on step 1 B, no kidding, haha ha, WTF. Road wheels

The road wheels have Sprue numbers that don't match the directions, and then have little numbers on each wheel, the the direction have "optional" in picking the diffrent wheels. No idea what the option represents.

Or I should say if I followed the sprue numbered direction I would have four sets.

Wow fun so far. Can't remember the last time I cused a model, oh ya the last time I built a Chinese model. :bash:

I am taking a break :cheers2: and will eventually post pictures of this Chinese finger trap.
gb64c

:cheers2:

79th. Engineers Combat Battalion (Heavy)
Fait Accompli
User avatar
Hillbilly
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Posts: 858
Joined: Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:15 pm
Location: Missouri,USA

Re: Tiger I Group Build (Coen) gb64c

Post by Hillbilly »

Hit up Coen's YouTube channel,he just did a cool video on deciphering Dragon instructions :thumb1:
Steve

Make something idiot proof and someone will come along and make a better idiot.
User avatar
Coen
General
General
Posts: 10136
Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:04 am
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada
Contact:
Canada

Re: Tiger I Group Build (Coen) gb64c

Post by Coen »

Greg... I put this together for Lou Matarazzo, but it's kind of for everyone.
Maybe it will clear things up.

[youtube]Nfu3TWs3xYs[/youtube]
User avatar
Gb64c
First Sergeant
First Sergeant
Posts: 557
Joined: Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:48 am
Location: JAX, Florida, USA

Re: Tiger I Group Build (Coen) gb64c

Post by Gb64c »

Coen wrote:Greg... I put this together for Lou Matarazzo, but it's kind of for everyone.
Maybe it will clear things up.

[youtube]Nfu3TWs3xYs[/youtube]

Thanks Mike, I watched as soon as I saw the previous post. The question for me was kit 6700 1-c the road wheel options and corresponding sprue numbering, not sure but I am going with the road wheel option on the cover of the box.

The sprue numbering was not correct, but the wheels have a little number on them, so I am following those numbers and not sprue.

:cheers2:
gb64c

:cheers2:

79th. Engineers Combat Battalion (Heavy)
Fait Accompli
User avatar
alextheblue
Chief Warrant Officer 5
Chief Warrant Officer 5
Posts: 2679
Joined: Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:30 am
Location: Slough, United Kingdom
Contact:
Scotland

Re: Tiger I Group Build (Coen) gb64c

Post by alextheblue »

Nice choice of kit Greg, I'm doing the same one! :th:

I was also a bit confused with the road wheels as it does state that it is an either/or option, but I think you have to build both in order to have the correct amount of wheels. Mike's vid on Dragon instructions is excellent and I wish I had seen that before building my very first Dragon kit :crazy: , but the one thing it can be hard to account for is the mistakes. These mainly consist of incorrectly marked parts and then it's a case of going through the sprues or the sprue diagram to find the correct one.

At the end of the day, go with what you feel is right and checking the box art and other reference pictures is always a good way to go. It's been said many times on this forum and I believe it may have been Mike that said it first, but it's your model, it's your time and it's your hobby, so do it your way! Also, feel free to check out my build thread, I make tons of mistakes! :wall: My motto should be - "I do it wrong, so you don't have to!" :th:
"Courage is feeling fear and acting anyway."

www.alextheblue.com
User avatar
Gb64c
First Sergeant
First Sergeant
Posts: 557
Joined: Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:48 am
Location: JAX, Florida, USA

Re: Tiger I Group Build (Coen) gb64c

Post by Gb64c »

Alex, you are correct, you have to build all the wheels, so I have no idea what the option thing is, maybe how you place them in order from front to back.

There is one extra wheel I think, that is the front out side wheel as depicted on the box, I am going this way, I like the look. It is nice that each wheel has a little number if not I would have gone nuts. When I get home from work, I sure don't want to think too hard.

It is a beautiful detailed kit where parts are so accurate the snap togather, almost.

Very little seams, no flash etc...

:cheers2:
gb64c

:cheers2:

79th. Engineers Combat Battalion (Heavy)
Fait Accompli
User avatar
Coen
General
General
Posts: 10136
Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:04 am
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada
Contact:
Canada

Re: Tiger I Group Build (Coen) gb64c

Post by Coen »

"I do it wrong, so you don't have to."

Oh I love that!! Haha.
User avatar
Gb64c
First Sergeant
First Sergeant
Posts: 557
Joined: Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:48 am
Location: JAX, Florida, USA

Re: Tiger I Group Build (Coen) gb64c

Post by Gb64c »

So I have gotten past step 1 C and assembled all the road wheels and have put that behind me.

With that said, this kit has amazing detail, honestly never have seen anything like it. Little tiny wing nuts to hold tow cables in place, several pieces for the MG, beautiful.

I did my first photo etch and enjoyed it, larger pieces so it was not too fiddly.

Started to really enjoy the build yesterday, so much just fit togather so perfectly. Much diffrent then my first Dragon kit. :banana:
gb64c

:cheers2:

79th. Engineers Combat Battalion (Heavy)
Fait Accompli
User avatar
eightfooticeman
First Sergeant
First Sergeant
Posts: 581
Joined: Sat Nov 02, 2013 1:39 am
Location: Woodbridge Virginia, USA
United States of America

Re: Tiger I Group Build (Coen) gb64c

Post by eightfooticeman »

Hows the Tiger doing? Hope it's treating you right.

:cheers2:
Jermaine
On The Bench:1/12 Tamiya Honda NSR 500 Kit 14099
Ideas: ?
On Hold:1/48 Revell F-15E
Post Reply

Return to “Armour & Military Vehicles”