Page 1 of 2
Tiger I The Desert Beast!
Posted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 11:07 pm
by hansolo
Hi Mike!
I just now red about your Tiger SIG!
I would love to join.
I will be doing this with this kit. I just bought it on ebay!
And I will be turning it into a desert beast!
cheers
Re: Tiger I The Desert Beast!
Posted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:36 am
by Yevgeny
Subscribed

Re: Tiger I The Desert Beast!
Posted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 3:04 am
by OliveDrab
So cool! Russ72 and myself are also doing this kit. Can't wait to see another Desert Tiger in the works

Re: Tiger I The Desert Beast!
Posted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:52 am
by hansolo
OliveDrab wrote:So cool! Russ72 and myself are also doing this kit. Can't wait to see another Desert Tiger in the works

Will be watching you!
cheers
Re: Tiger I The Desert Beast!
Posted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:03 am
by alextheblue
Nice one Han, looking forward to this one!!

Re: Tiger I The Desert Beast!
Posted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 12:46 pm
by Coen
Like I said earlier Han... I'll be watching eagerly to see what you do with this ol'bird of a kit.
I'm certain that your magic will make her soar.

Re: Tiger I The Desert Beast!
Posted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:34 pm
by hansolo
Coen wrote:Like I said earlier Han... I'll be watching eagerly to see what you do with this ol'bird of a kit.
I'm certain that your magic will make her soar.

Thanks Mike,
I will try my best!
cheers
Update
Posted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 6:53 pm
by hansolo
Hi guys,
First actual build update!
Here's the box.
and the content
building if the lower hull
the wheels
the moveable hatches
upper hull
the rear
I want to make it a well warn battle beast that doesn't still have all the initial accessoires that it was fitted with.
So I had to fill some holes. I recently saw a neat way of doing this; take a stretched sprew part and glue it in and cut it of.
So I did. It looks weard.
some work done on the turret
The exhaust protection 'caps' of this kit are awful.
Luckily I had just finished my beer! So I could craft my on caps from the can.
Not bad, wright? And nicely thin!
The completed kit before painting.
Oh, yeah, I left of the side fenders. Cause that's the one thing I don't like about the Tiger 1.
I know the desert Tigers wore them, but I'll just make up an excuse why they're not there.
I guess they've all been driven off in some narrow Tunisian village alley...
That's all for now folks..
cheers
Re: Tiger I The Desert Beast!
Posted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 7:16 pm
by DC87
Lovely work. great recycling

Re: Tiger I The Desert Beast!
Posted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 10:44 pm
by Russ72
Nice stuff mate, looking good.

Re: Tiger I The Desert Beast!
Posted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:25 pm
by Coen
That was fast! Wow!
Looks pretty cool to. I can't wait to see what you do for paint.

Re: Tiger I The Desert Beast!
Posted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 9:22 am
by MarkVerploeg
Looking good
And a very nice way of recycling your empty beercans
Re: Tiger I The Desert Beast!
Posted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 9:32 am
by Nige99
Looking good. Love the beer can idea looks amazing. Bring on the paint.
Update
Posted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 5:11 pm
by hansolo
Hi Guys,
Did the initial painting.
First a base coat of Panzer Grey.
Then ofcourse - you know me - the coat of hairspray.
Then a coat of light sand color.
Added highlights with a lighter tint on the higher areas and the center of surfaces.
To give more depth and decoloration of paint due to the intense sunlight.
Chipping.
Extensive chipping on the exhaust covers, because they chip more due to the heating up from the exhaust fumes. I guess.
Details painted.
That's it for now folks.
Next up:
Oil paint rendering and more...
cheers
Re: Tiger I The Desert Beast!
Posted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 9:04 pm
by martin57

thats some fast work , but its looking mighty fine well done .

Re: Tiger I The Desert Beast!
Posted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 4:16 am
by OliveDrab
Fantastic work, can't wait for the next update

Re: Tiger I The Desert Beast!
Posted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 5:03 am
by rwsmith14
Nice !

Update
Posted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:12 pm
by hansolo
Hi guys,
Here's what I mostly do to tracks..
(non-metal tracks that is..)
I start of with painting them with Panzer Grey.
Then I apply a grey dark wash from Vallejo, for depth and contrast.
Then comes a layer of Humbrol Weathering Powder dissolved in water.
This is for dirt, rust, gritty effect.
After application and drying.
Then I brush of most of it with a stiff brush. Nice thing about this technique is that most of it remains in the crevices,
which gives a nice residue effect. And it's totally easy to accomplish.
Here are 2 before and after brushing picts. (top is after bottom is before)
Next up. More working the tracks with different shades of pigment.
cheers
Re: Tiger I The Desert Beast!
Posted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:18 am
by Yevgeny
Great work as always and fantastic use of beer cans
Looking forward for more

Re: Tiger I The Desert Beast!
Posted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 5:34 am
by mannloon
Love the chipping.
Re: Tiger I The Desert Beast!
Posted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 6:39 am
by hansolo
Thanks all you guys.
Mutch appreciated!
Cheers
Re: Tiger I The Desert Beast!
Posted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:16 pm
by wappynutter
Re: Tiger I The Desert Beast!
Posted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:53 pm
by hansolo
Thanks Wappy!
cheers

Re: Tiger I The Desert Beast!
Posted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:57 pm
by Coen
That's intense work Han! That chipping is really interesting!!! A real veteran of the desert campaign.
Nice wash work on those tracks too.

Re: Tiger I The Desert Beast!
Posted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 5:16 pm
by hansolo
Coen wrote:That's intense work Han! That chipping is really interesting!!! A real veteran of the desert campaign.
Nice wash work on those tracks too.

Thanks Coen!
It's all in your honor!
cheers
Update
Posted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 9:02 am
by hansolo
Hi guys,
Small udate.
Did some pigment work on the tracks.
I dabbed some dark and light pigments and fixed them with pigment fixer with the airbrush. The technique of short bursts from a distance of about 10 inches i picked up from watching Mike Rinaldi.
And I did the first shade of oilpaint rendering with a light color. Next shade, more definition and more detail, will be a darker shade.
That's all for now folks.
Cheers
Re: Tiger I The Desert Beast!
Posted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 11:29 am
by Coen
Whoa! Those tracks are superb Han!!
Perfect in fact!

Re: Tiger I The Desert Beast!
Posted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 2:47 pm
by mannloon
Those tracks do look very very good.
Re: Tiger I The Desert Beast!
Posted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 2:57 pm
by hansolo
Thanks Guys!
cheers
Re: Tiger I The Desert Beast!
Posted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 9:44 pm
by Nige99
Great work Hans. Top work on this beast. Chipping is spot on. Your technique on the tracks are top notch.

Re: Tiger I The Desert Beast!
Posted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 8:17 pm
by psydeviant
looking good there dude

Update!
Posted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:34 am
by hansolo
Hi guys,
I was thinking about stuff that crews in the desert need most.
Things like water jerrycans, water bottles, a shovel, sun protection, water buckets and ramps.
So I decided to make my own scratch built ramps.
I like the english steel ramps. Those plates that hang from jeeps and dodges.
I will hang them from my Tiger, knowing that they are 'captured' ramps.
I started of with a ps plate.
Measured out the size and where the holes should go.
These are the tools I used.
Cut some thin strips to pose as rivets. And glued them on.
Sanded the edges of the plates to make them look thinner.
Painted and weathered, and I was done.
That's all for now folks.
Next up some more painting of the Tiger or maybe a scratch built bucket.
cheers
Re: Tiger I The Desert Beast!
Posted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:23 am
by Coen
Simple and superb.

Update
Posted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 2:29 pm
by hansolo
Hi guys,
Prior to building a little bucket, I decided to share the way to build one. So I made this Bucket Construction Sheet:
Enjoy.
Let me know what you think. And if it's helpfull.
cheers
Re: Update
Posted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:02 pm
by OliveDrab
hansolo wrote:Hi guys,
Prior to building a little bucket, I decided to share the way to build one. So I made this Bucket Construction Sheet:
Enjoy.
Let me know what you think. And if it's helpfull.
cheers
Absolutely Fantastic, Thanks for sharing

Re: Tiger I The Desert Beast!
Posted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 6:24 pm
by peppie
OMG, I can hear the The TWilight Zone tune...
I want to make a bucket myself, and was looking for something like this......

Re: Tiger I The Desert Beast!
Posted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 9:24 pm
by PaulAyrey
Brilliant!
Re: Tiger I The Desert Beast!
Posted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 11:29 pm
by Hillbilly
You have some outstanding scratchbuilding skills,there is no way I could drill that many holes and make them all even like that

Re: Tiger I The Desert Beast!
Posted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 12:02 am
by hansolo
peppie wrote:OMG, I can hear the The TWilight Zone tune...
I want to make a bucket myself, and was looking for something like this......

Yeah, I sensed that....
cheers
Re: Tiger I The Desert Beast!
Posted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 12:04 am
by hansolo
And thanks all you guys!
cheers
Update
Posted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 7:45 am
by hansolo
Hi guys,
Small update.
I finished the two layers of oil paint rendering.
Put on the tracks.
Did the graphite 'metal' treatment.
And put on some mud.
Next up:
More oil paint, grease stains, dust pigments etc, etc...
cheers
Re: Tiger I The Desert Beast!
Posted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:30 am
by Coen
holy moly!!! She looks like she's driven home from Africa.
That's amazing weathering Hans. Damn dude!!!
Re: Tiger I The Desert Beast!
Posted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:39 am
by hansolo
Coen wrote:holy moly!!! She looks like she's driven home from Africa.
That's amazing weathering Hans. Damn dude!!!
Thanks Coen!
Your comments make my day!
cheers
Update
Posted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:11 pm
by hansolo
Hi guys,
Next update here.
Did some accessories for the beast.
Some water cans
Stuck 'm in the front track reck.
Made the bucket myself from the instruction sheet that I put up before.
Hung up the ramps.
And hung up the bucket.
Next up is a soldier to go with this beast.
But it's not a german...
cheers
Re: Tiger I The Desert Beast!
Posted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:36 pm
by OliveDrab
Out of this world weathering skills Hans

Re: Tiger I The Desert Beast!
Posted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:46 pm
by Hillbilly
There are sooooo many awesome details on this build it is hard to know where to start looking.

Re: Tiger I The Desert Beast!
Posted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:57 pm
by hansolo
Thanks guys!
cheers
Re: Tiger I The Desert Beast!
Posted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:56 pm
by mannloon
Holy crap man. That is one beat up Tiger. Fantastic.
Re: Tiger I The Desert Beast!
Posted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:10 pm
by Nige99
Holy sh** balls

that is flipping awesome Hans.
Re: Tiger I The Desert Beast!
Posted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:37 pm
by M60Tanker
Very very impressive. Great work!