Uncharted waters

A more specific group build
Post Reply
User avatar
Raenas
Private First Class
Private First Class
Posts: 48
Joined: Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:04 pm

Uncharted waters

Post by Raenas »

This is a thread to see who (if any) are interested in doing something different. Something... completely different. :wtf:

When going through the GB/SiG archive I came across the non-military figure GB from 2013. I really liked the idea and looking at those figures actually got me started in painting figurines again. There's plenty (and I mean plenty) out there but they're all quite small scale and could be about any subject. Not wanting to choose a SiG that had that many possibilities (starting is always the hardest part about finishing) I stumbled upon a site that sells so-called Garage Kits. I had never heard from them before (shame on me I guess?) but they're actually quite nice.

Basically they are recasts from (mostly anime) figurines cast in resin. They come in multiple parts and require the usual sanding, putty and glue. They start out quite cheap at 20-30£ and range up to about 70-80£. For that price you do have a figure standing almost 50cm tall. The general idea is to get a few 15-20cm figurines going, though you are ofcourse free to choose whatever size you want.

Now; next up I'd like to say there are quite a few ADULT figurines available that picture partial or full nudity. You are ofcourse free to purchase them for yourselves but I'd keep them out of the SiG :)

As for the site: I bought a few figures from http://www.e2046.com and I've found it to be one of the better sites. The casts are great, the prices are reasonable and I didn't have to pay import charges.

One of the figures I bought is: http://www.e2046.com/product/Rei+Ayanam ... Suit/8073/ from Evangelion, probably the only anime I ever watched.

There are lots of choices though; I've seen Star Wars, Marvel, D.C. Comics, Final Fantasy, Dragon Ball Z and many other figurines there.

Thoughts? Well, it sure is different :)
You can have a few tools.
You can have quite a few tools.
You can have alot of tools.
You can never have too many tools.
User avatar
chief5437
Major
Major
Posts: 4810
Joined: Fri May 31, 2013 1:25 pm
Location: England
England

Re: Uncharted waters

Post by chief5437 »

Hmmm, never really liked figures, although the sound of a 50cm tall Star Wars figure is appealing! I'll go check out the site. Cheers bud.
Chief
User avatar
Eusi
Corporal
Corporal
Posts: 71
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:02 am
Location: Connecticut, USA

Re: Uncharted waters

Post by Eusi »

Having a few garage kits laying around myself, this could be just the excuse I need to build one. I'd be interested in this. Lmk even if you'd just want to do a buddy build.
User avatar
Hoggarth
Private First Class
Private First Class
Posts: 47
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2015 3:12 pm

Re: Uncharted waters

Post by Hoggarth »

Interesting. Thanks for the information. I've never heard of GKs. I've seen a lot of these statues in their expensive original formats, but not in the resin kits.

I would be very interested in trying this, although I doubt my painting skills would do one justice.

I really like the female Jason Voorhees, but it is unavailable.

If I end up doing this, I think I'd like to try this one. http://www.e2046.com/product/MoMo+Hime/11859/
User avatar
Hoggarth
Private First Class
Private First Class
Posts: 47
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2015 3:12 pm

Re: Uncharted waters

Post by Hoggarth »

Welp, whether or not this SiG takes off, I am ordering this model tonight. I spent the past two days looking the site over, and there are some great models there (I guess their still models?). Anyhoo, with the sale they are running, I decided it would be worth it too get one and try it out.

Image
User avatar
Raenas
Private First Class
Private First Class
Posts: 48
Joined: Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:04 pm

Re: Uncharted waters

Post by Raenas »

Regardless of whether this takes off (It won't take off as these are not aeroplanes, see what I did there?) I think it wouldn't be the worst idea to have those that ordered one post their progress and see how they're enjoying it. I have a bit of practise on them (and I'm guessing Eusi has built a few) so there must be some experience that can be shared. :)

Still hoping for a few more though :thumb2:
You can have a few tools.
You can have quite a few tools.
You can have alot of tools.
You can never have too many tools.
User avatar
Hoggarth
Private First Class
Private First Class
Posts: 47
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2015 3:12 pm

Re: Uncharted waters

Post by Hoggarth »

Does the Tamiya extra thin work, or do these require special glue?
User avatar
Raenas
Private First Class
Private First Class
Posts: 48
Joined: Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:04 pm

Re: Uncharted waters

Post by Raenas »

It's resin, so you'll have to use CA. Since the parts are a bit bigger than we're used to, it's good to "pin" them with metal pins for stability.
You'll see that the arms/legs have square tabs in them so they'll fit like they're supposed to. Drill a hole in the arm, pin it, glue it, press against the other part, drill a bigger hole in the other side and fill the entire thing with epoxy putty. Scrape the rest off and you're done :)

..Sorta :)
You can have a few tools.
You can have quite a few tools.
You can have alot of tools.
You can never have too many tools.
User avatar
Hoggarth
Private First Class
Private First Class
Posts: 47
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2015 3:12 pm

Re: Uncharted waters

Post by Hoggarth »

Got it, thanks! I have some experience with 28mm war gaming, so pinning and CA are no problem.
User avatar
Eusi
Corporal
Corporal
Posts: 71
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:02 am
Location: Connecticut, USA

Re: Uncharted waters

Post by Eusi »

Also be prepared to be doing a small amount of filling with modeling putty. Some of these kits tend to have minor fit issues from time to time and most of them will have a few air pockets that need to be filled.

I'll pick out a kit this weekend and get started on it. Will follow up with photos.
Post Reply

Return to “Special Interest Group Builds (SiGs)”