Hobby boss Merkava Mk.3d

Post Reply
Jmart95
Private First Class
Private First Class
Posts: 32
Joined: Sun Jan 18, 2015 9:45 pm
Location: Frisco, texas

Hobby boss Merkava Mk.3d

Post by Jmart95 »

Here's one I did a few months back, went together pretty well. This kit was absolutetly fantastic, lots of fiddly bits between the working track and the turret ball and chain armor, but the kit truly just fell together. I did have some trouble however getting the green right(well...closse enough :whistle: ), I repainted it nearly a dozen times to get the right mix of green, grey, and tan, so as much as I love the tamiya laquers, so next time I do IDF armor I'll buy the AMMO idf colors instead.. I'll eventually use the picture frame for a diorama base, but I haven't made my mind up yet for a scene. I also left off the white stripe on the barrel)the kit supplies a decal, but that would never conform to the detail), and I have no idea yet as to how I can mask it off. Feel free to make any critiques as well, and thanks for taking a look
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
User avatar
Coen
General
General
Posts: 10136
Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:04 am
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada
Contact:
Canada

Re: Hobby boss Merkava Mk.3d

Post by Coen »

That looks totally cool! Doing sand weathering on a sand coloured vehicle is always tricky, especially on IDF vehicles. Looks the nuts!
User avatar
AchtungPanzer
Chief Warrant Officer 3
Chief Warrant Officer 3
Posts: 2299
Joined: Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:59 am
Location: Cracow PL

Re: Hobby boss Merkava Mk.3d

Post by AchtungPanzer »

Super work :clap: . Your Merkava looks extra :th:
User avatar
Hillbilly
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Posts: 858
Joined: Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:15 pm
Location: Missouri,USA

Re: Hobby boss Merkava Mk.3d

Post by Hillbilly »

Beautiful weathering and pigment work. :clap: The barrel stripe might be kind of a pain in the arse but I would just put a strip of Tamiya tape down each side of the barrel and two pieces at each end and some more tape to protect the rest of the tank from overspray.
Steve

Make something idiot proof and someone will come along and make a better idiot.
User avatar
rodrant
Chief Warrant Officer 2
Chief Warrant Officer 2
Posts: 1774
Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:22 pm
Location: Maia - Portugal
Portugal

Re: Hobby boss Merkava Mk.3d

Post by rodrant »

Looks great ! I'm doing the Meng Merkava right now , and also I'm thinking on the colors , will go for the AK Middle east set ...and for primer will use Vallejo IDF Sand grey ...but it is hard to reach the color , and yes the barrel stripes will be hard to manage .

Your build its great ! Like a lot all of the details , and the painting job is amazing , it is really hard to do the weathering on this paint tone , you've done that very well ! Did you did any anti-skid surface ? I'm wondering not to put any in my model ...

:cheers2:
Cheers ,
António

On the Bench
a lot of stuff right now :-)
Jmart95
Private First Class
Private First Class
Posts: 32
Joined: Sun Jan 18, 2015 9:45 pm
Location: Frisco, texas

Re: Hobby boss Merkava Mk.3d

Post by Jmart95 »

Thanks guys! The anti-skid was actually molded on with the hobby boss kit(which is why i chose it rather than the meng), but i watched a build on youtube showing how to texture the meng kit, ill link it when im home from work. As for the stripe, its going to be a challenge as its straight along the top if the barrel, so im thinking its going to take a mix of tamiya tape and silly putty, and a whole lot of time to do it right. I think it will be worth it when i make the base for it, but for now i ll just leave good enough alone.
User avatar
Hillbilly
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Posts: 858
Joined: Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:15 pm
Location: Missouri,USA

Re: Hobby boss Merkava Mk.3d

Post by Hillbilly »

I agree,I think the stripe would make for a nice contrast with all that green. :th:
Steve

Make something idiot proof and someone will come along and make a better idiot.
User avatar
PaulAyrey
Sergeant Major of the Army
Sergeant Major of the Army
Posts: 1141
Joined: Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:24 pm
Location: Worthing, West Sussex, UK
Contact:

Re: Hobby boss Merkava Mk.3d

Post by PaulAyrey »

Ooooh, that's lovely! Well done a first class finish!
User avatar
gustavlekstal
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Posts: 966
Joined: Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:02 pm
Location: Sweden

Re: Hobby boss Merkava Mk.3d

Post by gustavlekstal »

Top shelf!! Great weathering.
I had an interesting read from a idf tankcrewman that the paint they use actually varies from diffrent units. They have a standard but when they are in the field they mix their own paint, and paint them before inspection.
Do you remember your paintmix? Im building a merkava myself and using tamiya paints.
Ive come this far.
2parts xf3 5parts xf8 2 parts xf15
Image
Regards Gustav

Dragon t-34/85 premium mod 44
Done! viewtopic.php?f=46&t=15153&p=189978#p189978

Dragon 15cm sig33 auf pz.kpfw Ib
viewtopic.php?f=29&t=10747

Jsu-152 tamiya with et modelling pe
viewtopic.php?f=29&t=12313
User avatar
JediBoer
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant
Posts: 437
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:33 am
Location: Detroit, MI
United States of America

Re: Hobby boss Merkava Mk.3d

Post by JediBoer »

Nice work on the Merkava! Just love the weathering you did! :bow::
JediBoer

On the bench righ now: Hmm... Lots of unfinished business!
Post Reply

Return to “Land Gallery”