Page 1 of 1

Vallejo Game Color Wash

Posted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:45 pm
by ManCupboardModels
Just a quick query.....

I used a black Vallejo Game Color wash on my Airfix Harrier (see Air Gallery), and even though its ACRYLLIC, I found that water didn't work at removing the excess wash. I gloss coated with Humbrol Clear before using the wash. In the end, I found that that Enamel thinners worked but Vallejo Airbrush thinners worked best.

Any ideas why water didn't work on a water based wash? :scratch::

Re: Vallejo Game Color Wash

Posted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:57 pm
by DC87
Have you used the Game Color wash on a model before? my understanding is they are designed for figure painting and as such have a higher pigment content and dry faster as the wash pools in the recesses, perhaps that is why water wouldn't remove it.

Re: Vallejo Game Color Wash

Posted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:05 pm
by Radzy
How long did you wait after applying wash ?

Acrylic washes dry fast and dry hard. Once dried it's almost impossible to remove them without damaging colour surface.
When using acrylic washes on't let them dry completely - otherwise you may end up with messed up model.

The idea is - gloss varnish (can be any), but should be solid dry before applying wash (I use mainly TOp Coat spray from gunze and wait about a day before going for washes). With vallejo wash I usually wait few minutes, definintely less than 5 before removing excess with towel paper. I have already messed up few models. Here are some examples of how bad effects you can get if you let acrylic was to dry for more than few minutes:
On this Bf-109 I allowed it to dry in warm room for ~6 minutes. Barely removed it and still very bad traces of wash remained on model:
Image
Image
Image

Hope this helps.
Cheers,
Radek

Re: Vallejo Game Color Wash

Posted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:13 pm
by ManCupboardModels
DC87 wrote:Have you used the Game Color wash on a model before? my understanding is they are designed for figure painting and as such have a higher pigment content and dry faster as the wash pools in the recesses, perhaps that is why water wouldn't remove it.
Ahhh right, cheers Dan. It was my first proper attempt at panel line washing, and I bought a set of the Game Color Washes a while ago on a whim. I'll give water a bash again next time but within a few minutes of applying the wash to see if it works :cheers2:

Re: Vallejo Game Color Wash

Posted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:18 pm
by ManCupboardModels
Radzy wrote:How long did you wait after applying wash ?

Acrylic washes dry fast and dry hard. Once dried it's almost impossible to remove them without damaging colour surface.
When using acrylic washes on't let them dry completely - otherwise you may end up with messed up model.

The idea is - gloss varnish (can be any), but should be solid dry before applying wash (I use mainly TOp Coat spray from gunze and wait about a day before going for washes). With vallejo wash I usually wait few minutes, definintely less than 5 before removing excess with towel paper. I have already messed up few models. Here are some examples of how bad effects you can get if you let acrylic was to dry for more than few minutes:
On this Bf-109 I allowed it to dry in warm room for ~6 minutes. Barely removed it and still very bad traces of wash remained on model:
Image
Image
Image

Hope this helps.
Cheers,
Radek
Cheers Radek! I did leave it for a while after applying, so i'll try it again next time but remove it alot quicker. The Vallejo Airbrush thinners worked really well though which surprised me.

If i have any problems i'll probably change to another wash. Thanks again! :cheers2:

Re: Vallejo Game Color Wash

Posted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:42 pm
by Radzy
DaddyCool273 wrote: Cheers Radek! I did leave it for a while after applying, so i'll try it again next time but remove it alot quicker. The Vallejo Airbrush thinners worked really well though which surprised me.

If i have any problems i'll probably change to another wash. Thanks again! :cheers2:
No need to :) The vallejo washes are great, just you need to get used to them.

You can try composing your own ones - based on artists oils or chalks. Both are pretty handy and forgiving, because either they dry long or are easily removed even after a while (ofc we're not talking about months here ;-) ).

Cheers,
Radek

Re: Vallejo Game Color Wash

Posted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:56 pm
by ManCupboardModels
Radzy wrote:
DaddyCool273 wrote: Cheers Radek! I did leave it for a while after applying, so i'll try it again next time but remove it alot quicker. The Vallejo Airbrush thinners worked really well though which surprised me.

If i have any problems i'll probably change to another wash. Thanks again! :cheers2:
No need to :) The vallejo washes are great, just you need to get used to them.

You can try composing your own ones - based on artists oils or chalks. Both are pretty handy and forgiving, because either they dry long or are easily removed even after a while (ofc we're not talking about months here ;-) ).

Cheers,
Radek
Not a bad idea. Whats best to thin artists oils? I feel some experimenting coming on! :thumb1:

Re: Vallejo Game Color Wash

Posted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:39 pm
by Paul
They come of fine with vallejo airbrush cleaner, about the only thing its good for really lol

Re: Vallejo Game Color Wash

Posted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:58 am
by Radzy
DaddyCool273 wrote: Not a bad idea. Whats best to thin artists oils? I feel some experimenting coming on! :thumb1:
White spirit (mineral spirit) - this is basically the reference thinner for oils (also natural turpentine, but this one can dry ages ...)

Or... lighter liquid - yes, lighter liquid.
Commonly used by Polish modellers to dillute / thin artist oil paints.
Great stuff - to describe it - to some extend it connects benefits of oil & acrylic washes. To be more precise - lighter liquid vaporises very fast leaving paint pigment on surfaces and recesses. Although even after few hours (even a day after) you can make corrections (just use paper towel or q-tip with a little of liquid and correct what you need to correct). Wait 2 days and protect with varnish.
You can check my short vid I made about using lighter liquid:
[youtube]BfARsUdRmcE[/youtube]

Nothing fancy, but may help :)

Cheers,
Radel

Re: Vallejo Game Color Wash

Posted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:16 pm
by ManCupboardModels
Paul wrote:They come of fine with vallejo airbrush cleaner, about the only thing its good for really lol
:D :D :D Cheers for your wisdom Paul! :lol: :lol:

Re: Vallejo Game Color Wash

Posted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:19 pm
by ManCupboardModels
Radzy wrote:
DaddyCool273 wrote: Not a bad idea. Whats best to thin artists oils? I feel some experimenting coming on! :thumb1:
White spirit (mineral spirit) - this is basically the reference thinner for oils (also natural turpentine, but this one can dry ages ...)

Or... lighter liquid - yes, lighter liquid.
Commonly used by Polish modellers to dillute / thin artist oil paints.
Great stuff - to describe it - to some extend it connects benefits of oil & acrylic washes. To be more precise - lighter liquid vaporises very fast leaving paint pigment on surfaces and recesses. Although even after few hours (even a day after) you can make corrections (just use paper towel or q-tip with a little of liquid and correct what you need to correct). Wait 2 days and protect with varnish.
You can check my short vid I made about using lighter liquid:
[youtube]BfARsUdRmcE[/youtube]

Nothing fancy, but may help :)

Cheers,
Radel
Sorry for the late reply. Much appreciate your explanation and vid! :th: Thankyou very muchly! :th: :th: :th: