Page 1 of 2
Trumpeter T-62 ERA mod.1962 - Free Syrian Army
Posted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:45 am
by Panzermeister36
Hello all,
I shall be entering this SIG with just about the earliest vehicle I could
Trumpeter's T-62 ERA (explosive reactive armour) mod.(model)1962.
I just got this kit yesterday so I'm getting right into it! There's quite a lot in the box, but nothing too insane, with only two smallish frets of PE and a nice metal gun barrel.
And now the vehicle:
"By 1955, the T54 and T55 had been mass-produced and upgraded, but the western powers kept on innovating as well and unveiled excellent medium tanks. There was already a pressing demand to find an answer fit to western models like the M47 Patton and Centurion which frontal armour can deflect or defeat 100 mm rounds. As a result, engineers devised the 100 mm HEAT round, at first costly (and at that time the crew did not have the required training to deal with these ammo), although it had the theoretical advantage to fit into a similar (but smoothbore) barrel. No new tank model was envisioned, but this was infirmed in January 1961, when a disgruntled Iranian officer defected to USSR with his brand new M60A1. At that time engineers devised an APFSDS round which was easier to operate and could be produced in larger quantities. However the latter was 115 mm in caliber, and needed a higher muzzle velocity to be effective.
"Therefore new guns were tried. In 1957-58 with the D54T. Later in 1961 with the new smoothbore 115 mm (4.53 in) integrated into the T-55, but trials eventually failed. There was no way to obtain the room needed for the recoil other than dramatically increasing the turret ring. And to support the new, heavier turret, to have a lenghtened chassis. This modified T-55 became the T-62, eventually 25 pre-series were built in the summer of 1961, and by July, a full-scale production was ordered. When the production stopped in 1980 in North Korea (it stopped already in 1978 in Czechoslovakia, and 1975 in USSR) a total of 22 700 has been delivered, more than any other western model, but still far less than the combined T-54 and T-55 which were not completely replaced due to the introduction of new modern rounds compatible with the rifled gun. It found its mark on the soviet arsenal, was used by around thirteen operators, and well-proven in combat. Its numerous limitations and issues only appeared recently and explained its replacement early on by the far better T-72.
"While the chassis was basically a stretched-out T-55, the Ob'yekt 166 turret combined with the new U-5TS "Molot" Rapira gun made for a new appearance. Indeed, the T-62 looked externally even more lower and longer than the T-55. The gun itself participated in this, with a staggering 9.34 m (30 ft 8 in) gun forward, and 6.64 m chassis length compared to 6.45 m for the T-54/55. It was perhaps even slightly narrower according to charts (3.30 vs 3.37 m) but kept the same height at 2.40 m, compared to almost 3.40 m on the M47 Patton.
"While the chassis construction was basically the same, compartimentation and most parts identical, the suspensions still comprised five paired "starfish" model roadwheels on each side, on individual torsion bar suspensions, idlers at the front and drive sprockets at the rear. But there were differences in characteristic uneven gaps between roadwheels, with larger gaps to the two rear pairs. Also, only the first and last pairs received an hydraulic shock absorber. There were still no return rollers, and the same tracks were used.
"The hull armor was slightly thinner compared to the T55 (mensurations in brackets) with 102 mm at 60° on the hull front (100 mm), 79 mm upper sides (80 mm), 15 mm lower sides (20 mm), 46 mm rear (60 mm), 20 mm bottom (20 mm), and 31 mm on the top deck (33 mm). The overall weight was nevertheless 40 t (44 short tons or 39 long tons) compared to the 36 (39 short tons) of the T55. Protection in general was 5% better on the hull front and 15% better on the turret than the former T54/55, although to save weight other less vital parts were somewhat sacrificed. The driver was located to the left front of the vehicle and turret, and had a single piece hatch. Due to their similar engine, the T-62 could, like the T-54/55, generate a smokescreen by injecting vaporized diesel fuel into the exhaust system. There were equipped with an unditching beam at the rear, and had a thin snorkel to ford deep rivers, usually dismounted and carried on the turret's back."
-Tanks Encyclopedia: http://www.tanks-encyclopedia.com/coldw ... t_T-62.php
T-62A-ERA.png
"The T-62 shares some of the T-55's limitations: a cramped crew compartment, crude gun control equipment (on most early models), limited depression of the main gun and vulnerable fuel and ammunition storage areas. The automatic spent-cartridge ejection system can cause dangerous accumulations of carbon monoxide and possibly actual physical injury to the crew from spent cartridge cases ricocheting against the edge of a poorly aligned ejection port and rebounding into the crew compartment. Crew members often suffer blunt force injuries and burns from ejected cases bouncing around the interior of the tank. Later designs fitted a deflector behind the commander to protect him from this, but other crew members remain vulnerable. Opening the ejection port under NBC (nuclear, biological, or chemical) conditions would expose the crew to contamination.
"Each time the gun is fired, the tube must go into détente for cartridge ejection; the power traverse of the turret is inoperable during ejection and reloading operations. Since manual elevation and traverse are rather slow and not effective for tracking a moving target, rapid fire and second-hit capabilities are limited. The T-62's practical rate of fire is limited to 4 rounds per minute, which falls behind the capabilities of Western 105 mm gun equipped tanks.
"It takes 20 seconds for the T-62's turret to rotate through a full 360°, which is 5 seconds longer than the time needed by the US M60A1 Patton tank.
"The turret also cannot be traversed with the driver's hatch open. Although the tank commander may override the gunner and traverse the turret, he cannot fire the main gun from his position. He is unable to override the gunner in elevation of the main gun, causing target acquisition problems.
"The US Army considered the T-62's gun more accurate than that of the M60A1 within 1500 meters, but less accurate at greater ranges.
"To fire the 12.7 mm antiaircraft heavy machine gun, the loader must be partially exposed, making him vulnerable to suppressive fire, and he must leave his main gun loading duties unattended.
"According to military author Bryan Perrett, the T-62 never enjoyed the commercial success of the T-54/T-55 series for numerous reasons. First, the T-62 was more than twice as expensive as the T-55, and many Warsaw Pact nations passed on the new tank because they did not feel that the improvements inherent in it warranted the cost. Secondly, in 1968, a 100 mm HVAPDS tank shell capable of piercing Western armor was developed. Use of this shell made the T-55 gun almost as effective as the T-62s, undercutting the T-62's original selling point: a bigger, more powerful gun. Third, the T-62 was, according to Perrett, almost immediately surpassed upon its introduction by the new Western MBTs like the Chieftain and M60. However, the US Army considered the T-62 generally comparable to its M60 tanks. Finally, the T-62 could not keep up with the new Soviet BMP (Infantry Combat Vehicle) – the principal infantry fighting vehicle which the T-62 was supposed to accompany. All of these factors combined to ensure that long term investment in the T-62 was not viable and a new Soviet MBT had to be developed.
"In July 1961, Uralvagonzavod in Nizhny Tagil, Malyshev Factory in Kharkiv, Ukraine and Omsk Factory No. 183 replaced part of their T-55 production with the T-62. The original plans were that the T-62 would be produced until Morozov's Ob'yekt 432 tank was developed. T-62 production was maintained at Uralvagonzavod until 1973 when it was replaced on the production lines by the T-72. Until the end of production 20,000 T-62 main battle tanks were produced by Uralvagonzavod. Production in the Soviet Union was stopped in 1975.
"Czechoslovakia built more than 1,500 T-62 main battle tanks for export after production ceased in the Soviet Union in 1975, and it continued there until 1978.
"North Korea produced the T-62 under license until the 1980s. In the early 1990s the North Korean Second Machine Industry Bureau designed a lighter copy of the T-62 which is mass-produced and is known locally as the Ch'ŏnma-ho I (Ga)."
-Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T-62
I'm planning on doing a Free Syrian Army T-62, participating in the current civil war in the region. The FSA is one of the 'rebel' (or however you see them) groups, and is mostly comprised of defectors from the Syrian Armed Forces.
Here are some photos of what I'm planning on doing:[/size]
syaatx-102.jpg
mderaa-130213-107 (800x549).jpg
Re: Trumpeter T-62 ERA mod.1962 - Free Syrian Army
Posted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:49 am
by Panzermeister36
More photos:
mdam-130314-101 (650x488).jpg
medleb-130131-105 (840x473).jpg
Mideast-Syria_Horo-62-635x357.jpg
Re: Trumpeter T-62 ERA mod.1962 - Free Syrian Army
Posted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 7:24 pm
by Panzermeister36
All text refers to the photo(s) directly above it
And now a look at what's in the box:

Nice boxart - the norm from Trumpeter

The box is packed!

Nice painting guide, though no information about the vehicle shown; there's only one paint scheme, too.

Instructions are clear and clutter-free!

Though this looks a bit tedious


Tracks are on sprues but have minimal moulding points and are nicely detailed...

One of the PE frets and the decals - a nice touch, given that you're not supposed to use them...

The rest of the PE as well as the clear bits and the tires - moulded in black, but not in rubber.
Nice for painting!

Hull, turret, metal gun barrel, and a nice tow cable!

Nicely detailed; looks cast to me!






Various bits, again moulded well!



ERA everywhere!
On the plus side, though, there's minimal sprue gates and Trumpeter has put them in groups when they can.

Wheels n' stuffs. Once, again, Trumpeter does well in wrapping delicate handles to protect them.

Interesting way of doing the fuel drums. Usually the whole thing is two halves with flat circular end plates, but this way, with the both ends of the drum as one piece, there's less seam to clean up! 

As you can see here, there was some grease on some of the parts; nothing major, though
That's "it" (a lot is a better term), so now onto the building! My YouTube review can be found below:
[youtube]1DW95h6rvWs[/youtube]
Re: Trumpeter T-62 ERA mod.1962 - Free Syrian Army
Posted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 1:08 am
by timtamtung
So much ERA, that thing is a moving bomb. Can't wait to see the build unfold mate
Re: Trumpeter T-62 ERA mod.1962 - Free Syrian Army
Posted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 3:20 am
by Panzermeister36
timtamtung wrote:So much ERA, that thing is a moving bomb. Can't wait to see the build unfold mate
A danger to all those around it...even me

I'll post another update tomorrow hopefully!
Re: Trumpeter T-62 ERA mod.1962 - Free Syrian Army
Posted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 3:25 am
by timtamtung
Off topic, I see in your signature you are planning to do panzer IV camo tutorial. This going to be a video on youtube? very looking forward to it
Re: Trumpeter T-62 ERA mod.1962 - Free Syrian Army
Posted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 3:52 am
by Panzermeister36
timtamtung wrote:Off topic, I see in your signature you are planning to do panzer IV camo tutorial. This going to be a video on youtube? very looking forward to it
It'll be a video on YouTube as well as a thread here

I've finished spraying the camo but I've got to tone it down and I'll explain the weathering of the camouflage parts as well, but not the mud and tracks etc.
Re: Trumpeter T-62 ERA mod.1962 - Free Syrian Army
Posted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:54 am
by EasyEight96
Hey panzermeister long time no see nice kit you got there I'm planning to start my second entry soon once I'm done with college assignment

Re: Trumpeter T-62 ERA mod.1962 - Free Syrian Army
Posted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:33 pm
by Panzermeister36
EasyEight96 wrote:Hey panzermeister long time no see nice kit you got there I'm planning to start my second entry soon once I'm done with college assignment

Hey

What's the plan for the next kit? The Type 61 looked awesome!

Re: Trumpeter T-62 ERA mod.1962 - Free Syrian Army
Posted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:01 pm
by Panzermeister36
~PART TWO~
All text refers to the photo(s) directly above it
STEPS SIX, SEVEN, EIGHT AND NINE
I did these steps kinda as one; sometimes, instead of building all the subassemblies and then putting them on together later on, I just glued the subs onto the tank when I finished them. That's just how I roll!

Nice PE screens, but they all get covered up!



So I made this tarp out of lead foil. I cut it out of a larger sheet as you can see above and then simply folded it randomly to fit the engine deck hatches but still prop them open a bit. Now some of the vents are visible! It adds some interest, too.

And this is where it stands with then engine deck built.

These steps cover the fenders.

This is how I keep track of the parts' numbers since I like to clip them all off the sprue at once, and then sand them all at once, so that I can put all the parts together at once!

I thought that it was interesting that this box is slightly angled.

Way too close to the sprue, Trumpeter!
How do I cut them off without damaging them????

Well, this is how: You cut the sprue gate from the main sprue rails, and then it's easier to cut off

Lots of boxes - reminds me of Ikea.

And now here we are! Done the basics of the hull, and it's been a fun build so far
I love Trumpeter now!
Re: Trumpeter T-62 ERA mod.1962 - Free Syrian Army
Posted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:36 pm
by DC87
Glad you are enjoying the build, looks good so far.
Re: Trumpeter T-62 ERA mod.1962 - Free Syrian Army
Posted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:53 am
by Panzermeister36
DC87 wrote:Glad you are enjoying the build, looks good so far.
Thanks, Warrant! I've just gotten into Trumpeter's kits and I'm really pleased with what I've built from them so far; I find them to be like a Dragon kit but with fewer parts (but still a lot -which I like). I really enjoy Dragon for the challenge and the detail, but sometimes they get too busy in the parts business, so Trumpeter is my new favourite!
Re: Trumpeter T-62 ERA mod.1962 - Free Syrian Army
Posted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 3:46 am
by EasyEight96
Panzermeister36 wrote:EasyEight96 wrote:Hey panzermeister long time no see nice kit you got there I'm planning to start my second entry soon once I'm done with college assignment

Hey

What's the plan for the next kit? The Type 61 looked awesome!

Thanks. I'm currently planning to enter my revell 1/35 panzer 2000 spg but without a working airbrush I can only build it but not paint it.
Re: Trumpeter T-62 ERA mod.1962 - Free Syrian Army
Posted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 4:26 pm
by schweinhund227
Re: Trumpeter T-62 ERA mod.1962 - Free Syrian Army
Posted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:05 pm
by JediBoer
Wow, it really looks like a super kit! Great watching the progress!

Re: Trumpeter T-62 ERA mod.1962 - Free Syrian Army
Posted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:12 pm
by brickfan8
You are my favorite youtube moddeller to watch vidios and I'm looking forward to the panzer 4 ambush camo scheame

Re: Trumpeter T-62 ERA mod.1962 - Free Syrian Army
Posted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 3:55 am
by Panzermeister36
EasyEight96 wrote:Thanks. I'm currently planning to enter my revell 1/35 panzer 2000 spg but without a working airbrush I can only build it but not paint it.
Awesome! I love the panzerhaubitze 2000! Remind me to follow your thread once you start the build!
schweinhund227 wrote:


to you too, Norm!
JediBoer wrote:Wow, it really looks like a super kit! Great watching the progress!

Yes it is a really nice kit; the best I've built from Trumpeter so far! I'll definitely be buying some other T-62s or such that they offer!
brickfan8 wrote:You are my favorite youtube moddeller to watch vidios and I'm looking forward to the panzer 4 ambush camo scheame

Thanks

I'm glad you like my videos so much! I've just finished painting the tracks and wheels of the panzer so now I can get onto the weathering!

Re: Trumpeter T-62 ERA mod.1962 - Free Syrian Army
Posted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 6:30 am
by PaulAyrey
Nice kit, some lovely details such as the cast effect on the turret. Great job so far!
Re: Trumpeter T-62 ERA mod.1962 - Free Syrian Army
Posted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:23 pm
by gustavlekstal
Fast and furious! You must have a lot of ikea at home

looks great!
Re: Trumpeter T-62 ERA mod.1962 - Free Syrian Army
Posted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 2:31 pm
by schweinhund227
http://s1381.photobucket.com/user/Panze ... 9.jpg.html
Where did you get the LEAD foil from ???
I am looking for various thickness and length ....
thinking of going to a LURE store and search through their Fly fishing accessories...
Re: Trumpeter T-62 ERA mod.1962 - Free Syrian Army
Posted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:51 am
by Panzermeister36
PaulAyrey wrote:Nice kit, some lovely details such as the cast effect on the turret. Great job so far!
Thanks Paul! It's a superb kit so far
gustavlekstal wrote:Fast and furious! You must have a lot of ikea at home

looks great!
The build is flyin' since it's so nice and enjoyable to build. I live in Ottawa where there's the largest Ikea in North America I believe - that thing is bigger than an adjacent shopping mall!
I got this from a buddy...I'll ask him where he got it for ya

Re: Trumpeter T-62 ERA mod.1962 - Free Syrian Army
Posted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:56 pm
by schweinhund227
Thanks !
I have lead wires coming my way... might show it later...
invaluable tool for wiring Models...
later buddy !
Re: Trumpeter T-62 ERA mod.1962 - Free Syrian Army
Posted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 11:21 pm
by Panzermeister36
~PART FOUR~
All text refers to the photo(s) directly above it
STEP FIFTEEN
This step covered the final additions to complete the hull.

I put on these hooks that the tow cable attaches to at the rear

These are some AM tow cable clamps that were given to me for a T-55 but I'm pretty sure they're accurate. If not, I like it better this way anyways - they're far better detailed
I didn't want to put on the tow cables because I don't like tow cables; I can never get them to look good. I think I may still drape one over one of the fenders here, though, just because that's more realistic than not having one on. I can only use one because you are given two 'normal' ends for the cables and two ends that are supposed to go here that already have these clamps moulded on, so I'll only be able to use the free ends.
STEP SIXTEEN
This step covered the basic assembly of the turret.

Here's the co-ax MG...or what Trumpeter tries to pass as one. Is it really all that hard to mould it with a hole for the bullets to come out of?

Mildly disappointingly, there was also no option for a clear cover for the infra-red night sight (this bit spotlighty-looking thing beside the gun); you have to use this solid piece that nicely replicates it when covered.

Well-labeled diagram for a well-detailed assembly. Mentioning to use CA glue with words rather than just a symbol is nice

Here's the PE:

Looks nice! I'm going to have to clean off my fingerprints though

Once again, nice PE...BUT...there's no indication on the PE part as to where to fold it!

So I just kinda guessed (the scientific term would be "B.S.ed") and bent it with these small pliers - gently, as to not mark the soft metal with the texture of the pliers.
Mission 16 accomplished.
STEP SEVENTEEN
Basic detailing of the turret.

First I put on all the subassemblies that were built in step 16.


Here holes to be drilled were actually lightly marked into the outside surface.
Why the change? No idea.

Even more Ikea for this tank.

These bits were actually nicely done; only one, small moulding point and no flash!

Here they are glued on:

Once again, no marks as to where to fold the PE bit engraved on it.


Once again, just guessed and tweaked till it looked good.


The PE really adds a nice, realistic touch, though.
STEP EIGHTEEN
As you can see, between steps 16 and 18, this plate for the bottom turret edge and turret ring magically appears.

So I glued it on here.


The framework for the IR sight was a bit sketchy and unstraight, to I had to clamp, balance, and wedge it as it dried to get it looking decent.

More PE for the beautiful metal gun and for this box which I believe to be a laser rangefinder or something along those lines.

I skipped ahead to a bit of step 19 here to put the gun and stuff on.

Tight fit for the barrel, I had to scrape it down a tad with a no.11 to get it to slot in.

I also had to scrape down the hull bit of the turret ring to get it to accept the turret. Only two passes of the whole thing with the no.11 and then a quick rub with the 1200 grit Ultimate sander and it was fitting in nicely!


Big gun, low turret, nice!



Right about now was when all hell broke loose.

I do this as to not lose track of the parts and mix them up.

Very fiddly and hard to get these arms lined up, so I did one side at a time.

I had all the ERA already cleaned up so that I could put it on before the glue for the arms completely set. This way I could fiddle with their positioning to correct the alignment of the ERA. I focused on getting the best alignment for the ERA blocks on the top of these arms because they are more visible than the blocks on the bottom.

The rest of the top ERA blocks for this side on. I then put the row on the bottom.

No PE folding marks again.
This is actually part of step 19, but I decided to get it over with now along with the rest of the ERA.



Still, it's not that hard to do it right with the nice instructions provided. Like the rest of the PE bits, I used CA glue to attach it.
You can also see the bottom ERA on this side here as well.



The other side went much faster because I knew what I was doing. I did it the same way as the driver's side which I already explained above.

However, you can see that the ERA blocks are hollow........
STEP NINETEEN
Seems pretty simple, the assembly of the snorkel. I'll go into detail about how I did this because this is similar to a two-piece plastic barrel which is always hard to make look good.

Cleaned up the parts.

Put Tamiya Extra-Thin along the sides here.

Stuck the sides together and put on more Extra-Thin to soften it up.

Now because I put all that glue on, the plastic is pretty flexible, and therefore when I press it together it makes this thin bulge along the seam. No filler required!

Now I run some more glue over the little budge to help smooth it down.

After it had dried I did the same with a no.11 to further flatten the seam.

And final smoothing with the 1200 grit Ultimate sander - very useful in this situation and for gun barrels and wheels!

And here it is on the turret. I hope this helps anyone out who has trouble with two-piece plastic barrels!
And the turret is done! Here are some photos of how it is looking so far, below. All that's left are the wheels and tracks.







All the progress in this entire update #4 corresponds to less than 4 hours. That seems quite quick, but I was in a buildy mood and Trumpeter has done a great job with the instructions, with the moulding of the parts (no flash etc.), and with the engineering of the kit. 
The turret ERA was the most irritating bit to get done so far (I have yet to do the tracks - keep that in mind), but it wasn't really frustrating or hard, just a bit fiddly. I decided to get it all over with so I did all the turret ERA in about 1 hour and 45 mins
The hull ERA was no problem at all - very easy.
And just in case you can't tell, I'm loving the build so much!
Re: Trumpeter T-62 ERA mod.1962 - Free Syrian Army
Posted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 4:22 am
by timtamtung
Epic build mate! Looks badass
Re: Trumpeter T-62 ERA mod.1962 - Free Syrian Army
Posted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 4:42 am
by schweinhund227
I use the same technique on the seams! And Tamiya extra thin!
Awesome progress!
Great looking kit!
Later mate!
Re: Trumpeter T-62 ERA mod.1962 - Free Syrian Army
Posted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 4:59 pm
by Panzermeister36
timtamtung wrote:Epic build mate! Looks badass
Thanks

almost as badass as your badass beast of an Abrams!
schweinhund227 wrote:I use the same technique on the seams! And Tamiya extra thin!
Awesome progress!
Great looking kit!
Later mate!
Extra Thin is the best of the glues - it does everything, even remove parts

Thanks Norm

Re: Trumpeter T-62 ERA mod.1962 - Free Syrian Army
Posted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 10:44 pm
by DBMiller
Both of you are:
[youtube]J13QjLpGImY[/youtube]
Re: Trumpeter T-62 ERA mod.1962 - Free Syrian Army
Posted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:12 am
by PaulAyrey
The model is looking really nice. You have done a superb job putting it together, may want to get one myself now!
Re: Trumpeter T-62 ERA mod.1962 - Free Syrian Army
Posted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 12:36 pm
by gustavlekstal
Re: Trumpeter T-62 ERA mod.1962 - Free Syrian Army
Posted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:49 pm
by Panzermeister36
DBMiller wrote:Both of you are:
[youtube]J13QjLpGImY[/youtube]
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaabsolutely!
PaulAyrey wrote:The model is looking really nice. You have done a superb job putting it together, may want to get one myself now!
Thanks Paul! DO IT
Hey thanks!

I find it fun doing these build logs - I really should do more in the works in progress bit rathe than just for GBs

Re: Trumpeter T-62 ERA mod.1962 - Free Syrian Army
Posted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 3:47 pm
by EasyEight96
That was fast nice job man

Was supposed to show my build on the panzer 2000 but kinda lazy to upload it lol

Re: Trumpeter T-62 ERA mod.1962 - Free Syrian Army
Posted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 11:42 pm
by Panzermeister36
EasyEight96 wrote:That was fast nice job man

Was supposed to show my build on the panzer 2000 but kinda lazy to upload it lol

So no build log then? Well at least give me some pics in the land gallery or something

I wanna see!
Re: Trumpeter T-62 ERA mod.1962 - Free Syrian Army
Posted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:25 pm
by EasyEight96
It's not done yet I just got the big bits done oh well I'll just get it up "spoiler alert"

Re: Trumpeter T-62 ERA mod.1962 - Free Syrian Army
Posted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:22 pm
by Panzermeister36
~PART FIVE~
All text refers to the photo(s) directly above it
STEP ONE
So I finally went back and did the wheels. I hate wheels.
Still, Trumpeter's way of designing them is very good!

The two on the left are the 1st and 5th wheels on the sides; they are apparently different.

The difference is that this bit here that goes on the end of the wheels is slightly wider on the 1st and 5th wheels (10 is bigger than 23). I never knew this before, but it was well shown in the instructions so I didn't miss it!

Awesome ribbing on the wheels!

So I sanded most of it off to simulate wear. I'll explain how I did this later

You can also see here how there's a lip on the inside of the tire...

And a corresponding slot around the wheel.


This way, the tire has to be installed from behind the wheel.

This is great, because I can glue on the innermost set of wheels to do the tracks, but I can remove their tires for painting!

Here's one side done. The outermost layer of wheels will be left off for easier painting and easier track removal when painting the hull. I can still get to the innermost wheels with the airbrush no problem, and I'll leave the side skirts off until after I paint them.
Let's do some tires! I'll explain how I roughed them up here to simulate wear because that ribbing would come off the 'in contact' parts of the wheel very fast.

Fresh from the sprue - very strong ribbing texture marred with sprue attachment points. If you're planning on doing a new vehicle with the ribbing intact, the sprue gates will make that pretty hard.

First I used a file to sand off the attachment points and most of the ribbing.

But as you can see, some ribbing still remains.

So I went over it again, this time with the 240 or 220 grit side on this Ultimate sander.

This roughs it up somewhat and also smooths out the remaining ribbing texture. There's still a bit of the ribbing showing through, but that's okay and I like it; it adds some interesting texture.

All done; you can see the inner wheels glue onto the hull in the right.

Next up, the tracks! Seven sprues in total, and I've already done five so it shouldn't be that long until I finish this build off; it's been a good one! I've also been requested to do a video on putting the tracks together on my YouTube channel so I'll put that video in my next update
Re: Trumpeter T-62 ERA mod.1962 - Free Syrian Army
Posted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 6:34 am
by PaulAyrey
'Wheely' great. Hope the tracks aren't too tedious!
Re: Trumpeter T-62 ERA mod.1962 - Free Syrian Army
Posted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 4:29 pm
by schweinhund227
Good progress....
the sanding of the road wheels is a nice touch

Re: Trumpeter T-62 ERA mod.1962 - Free Syrian Army
Posted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:12 pm
by Panzermeister36
PaulAyrey wrote:'Wheely' great. Hope the tracks aren't too tedious!
WOW

The tracks are not really that fun but it's something to do when I watch TV etc. There's seven sprues so I'm doing at least one per day. My plan is to assemble them next weekend. Then I'll have three weekends to prime and paint and weather
schweinhund227 wrote:Good progress....
the sanding of the road wheels is a nice touch

Thanks Norm!

Would you happen to know how many tracks go on each side? The instructions don't specify but I counted each and every one on the diagram and they show 97 per side.

Re: Trumpeter T-62 ERA mod.1962 - Free Syrian Army
Posted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:26 pm
by schweinhund227
There is a good picture or drawing in the instructions which gives you a good
Idea of how much track shoe you need.... Sounds about right
Add one or two to add more slack If that's what you like?
Since I don't recall if the idlers can be positioned forward to give you some slack? On this kit!
Lots of work but if you take your time! It will look fantastic!

Re: Trumpeter T-62 ERA mod.1962 - Free Syrian Army
Posted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:34 pm
by Panzermeister36
schweinhund227 wrote:There is a good picture or drawing in the instructions which gives you a good
Idea of how much track shoe you need.... Sounds about right
Add one or two to add more slack If that's what you like?
Since I don't recall if the idlers can be positioned forward to give you some slack? On this kit!
Lots of work but if you take your time! It will look fantastic!

Alright, thanks

I'm pretty sure there's no play in the idlers, though, but not much on the tracks can be seen with the side skirts on anyways.
Re: Trumpeter T-62 ERA mod.1962 - Free Syrian Army
Posted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:57 pm
by schweinhund227
Forgot about that....??? hummm
Then you can save some time by not fully building the tracks and keeping some for another project ?
just saying !
wrap around the sprocket and Idlers and bob's your uncle ! that way.... you save time and you get some spare
track bits...
Your choice really !
Re: Trumpeter T-62 ERA mod.1962 - Free Syrian Army
Posted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 1:06 pm
by Panzermeister36
schweinhund227 wrote:Forgot about that....??? hummm
Then you can save some time by not fully building the tracks and keeping some for another project ?
just saying !
wrap around the sprocket and Idlers and bob's your uncle ! that way.... you save time and you get some spare
track bits...
Your choice really !
Yeah but that would be cheating

Besides, you can still see a tiny bit of the tracks looking under the side skirt from the rear, just not enough to make the amount of sag in the tracks a noticible issue

Re: Trumpeter T-62 ERA mod.1962 - Free Syrian Army
Posted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 1:14 am
by EasyEight96
Nice.....!!!! that T-62 now looks mean. Just manage to update the panzer 2000 too hopefully I can get it done
Re: Trumpeter T-62 ERA mod.1962 - Free Syrian Army
Posted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 8:30 pm
by Panzermeister36
~PART SIX~
All text refers to the photo(s) directly above it
I put on the tow cable. I looks great and the wire is copper and is easy to cut and bend.


Some turret boxes and an extra fuel tank from Tamiya's T-55A kit add some more detail and interest to the rear deck. I did this because the tank is quite long with the turret at the front, and with the ERA on this kit that causes an imbalance of visual weight towards the front of the tank.
STEPS THREE & FOUR
Ah tracks....seven sprues of them and each track has three sprue gates on it. Well, I did one sprue a day, an hour of cleanup for each sprue, and it wasn't much trouble. You need about 97 per side; I counted them on the diagram which you can see in the top-right of the photo below
Why couldn't they label a number on the diagram for the number of tracks? Well, I used 91 per side minus about 3 around the idler (we'll get to that later), so I think 94 is the right number.

The actual assembly of the tracks is a breeze. As you can see, I've already done most of one side and the bottom length of the other. The tires were taped on so I can paint them separate.

On a metal ruler, I lay out some of the tracks. The ruler helps me keep the tracks straight and provides a hard and flat surface so that they're attached flat and properly.

After I have about four or five tracks together I glue them with Extra-Thin. Any more tracks and you'll have trouble popping them together without having the length fold/crumple in on itself. Also, I use a metal ruler because a plastic one can get glued to the tracks here

Then I glue all the little groups together.

I let the bottom length dry solid and then I did a shorter length for the drive sprocket.

If you let the tracks sit for about 10 minutes then the glue will hold them together but still let them curl around the wheels. Don't glue it too the wheels by accident!

Needed some help keeping in line

The front was done the same way.

Top length for the other side.

Draped on and given a hint of sag by just pushing it down with a finger or knife.


I did cheat a little bit here around the idler, but this section is completely invisible (below) and would make removing the tracks much more difficult.


See?

And the other top.

So that's everything done! A great kit to build...but now I've got to paint it; I'm the kind of guy who puts the whole kit - tracks and wheels and tools - on and paints it as a whole, so this is something new for me!
Re: Trumpeter T-62 ERA mod.1962 - Free Syrian Army
Posted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 3:52 am
by EasyEight96
Ooo that's sweet nice job on the tracks assembly. Too bad I can't find my mojo to finish my panzer 2000
Re: Trumpeter T-62 ERA mod.1962 - Free Syrian Army
Posted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 6:14 am
by PaulAyrey
Looking great, really looking forward to some paint being chucked on.
Re: Trumpeter T-62 ERA mod.1962 - Free Syrian Army
Posted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 4:09 pm
by schweinhund227
constructive criticism !
Take a minute and drill your Tow cables Heads... and insert your Copper cables in them.. it will looks a whole lot better...
The rest of the work is Amazing !!!
Looking forward to your paint job... The track assembly is very reminiscent of How Storm22tpt used to do it....
Keep up the good work buddy !
Re: Trumpeter T-62 ERA mod.1962 - Free Syrian Army
Posted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 4:09 am
by Panzermeister36
EasyEight96 wrote:Ooo that's sweet nice job on the tracks assembly. Too bad I can't find my mojo to finish my panzer 2000
Thanks! You just have to start working at it; otherwise it'll sit on the bench forever
PaulAyrey wrote:Looking great, really looking forward to some paint being chucked on.
Thank you Paul

I'm nearly done the weathering so I'll have some pics up this week.
schweinhund227 wrote:constructive criticism !
Take a minute and drill your Tow cables Heads... and insert your Copper cables in them.. it will looks a whole lot better...
The rest of the work is Amazing !!!
Looking forward to your paint job... The track assembly is very reminiscent of How Storm22tpt used to do it....
Keep up the good work buddy !
They actually are drilled out in the kit...but it doesn't look all that great because the holes aren't centered on the back
I made a quick video on putting the tracks together too
Storm was a great guy...did you ever hear what happened to him? His channel is gone now - what a shame...

Re: Trumpeter T-62 ERA mod.1962 - Free Syrian Army
Posted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:34 am
by timtamtung
Shaping up very very nicely bro!