Page 1 of 3

Ernst Barkmann's Panther G Battle of the Bulge

Posted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:05 am
by Coen
This is what I actually have going on my bench at the moment.
Finally I have something on the go, I started it before we moved into the house and it's been packed away until this morning.
So I took a few shots of her and then took her all apart to add Mr. Surfacer 500. Then I'll be painting her up and starting the diorama.
Here is a link to the wikipedia page for Ernst.
I didn't want to fill this page with tonnes of text.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ernst_Barkmann

Here she is for now, I'll post as I go.

Image

Image

Image

Image

Re: Ernst Barkmann's Panther G Battle of the Bulge

Posted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:13 am
by SuperDryBeef
where do you get these 1/25?

Re: Ernst Barkmann's Panther G Battle of the Bulge

Posted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:16 am
by Paul
SuperDryBeef wrote:where do you get these 1/25?
Tamiya make a lot of the 1/25 they used to be motorised, you can find them on ebay from time to time.

Re: Ernst Barkmann's Panther G Battle of the Bulge

Posted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:24 am
by Coen
I got mine from Scale Hobbyist in New Hampshire about 6 months ago I guess.
Paid about $70 with shipping if I remember correctly.
I didn't buy from them very often because they charge too much to ship to Canada, but they've recently changed that.
For good or worse I don't know.
I don't think that they have any in stock any more.
I bought their last one I think.
You can find them on ebay though.

Re: Ernst Barkmann's Panther G Battle of the Bulge

Posted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:25 pm
by NovYank
Great progress so far! I especially like all the add ons to the tank, which contrasts from their usual prim and proper appearance. Oh and I can't forget that articulated suspension... :bow:: :clap: .

Re: Ernst Barkmann's Panther G Battle of the Bulge

Posted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:12 pm
by SuperDryBeef
:th: Thx, guys just bought one on ebay

Re: Ernst Barkmann's Panther G Battle of the Bulge

Posted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:00 pm
by RollingThunderModels
cool, again a model of a tank ace. im sure it will look great in your collection once finished.

Re: Ernst Barkmann's Panther G Battle of the Bulge

Posted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 6:19 pm
by HamilkarBarkas
This beast is awesome, wow! you build such impressive models my friend :) i think i never saw a 1:25 diorama for a tank so this will be of big interest for me.

Re: Ernst Barkmann's Panther G Battle of the Bulge

Posted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:35 am
by Coen
Thanks guys. :D
HamilkarBarkas wrote:This beast is awesome, wow! you build such impressive models my friend :) i think i never saw a 1:25 diorama for a tank so this will be of big interest for me.
That build I did of Otto Carius' first Tiger is 1/25 Hamikar, if you're curious, but I'll keep you in mind as I finish this one off. :D

Re: Ernst Barkmann's Panther G Battle of the Bulge

Posted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:19 am
by Coen
A couple of progress shots.
I've added the Mr. Surfacer 500 to the turret. It's the first time that I've ever used this product, I was very excited.
Man that stuff stinks for days.
Nasty stuff.
I've got 6 bottles of this crap in all of the different consistencies, I doubt that I'll ever use it again.
I'll stipple with glue I think after this build.

Image

Image

Image

Re: Ernst Barkmann's Panther G Battle of the Bulge

Posted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:40 am
by Paul
Funnily enough i was going to use the mr sufacer method on the king tiger, just brush on and use a stiff brush to stipple it?

Re: Ernst Barkmann's Panther G Battle of the Bulge

Posted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:51 pm
by Coen
I hope that you've got good ventilation...pew stinky!

Re: Ernst Barkmann's Panther G Battle of the Bulge

Posted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:00 pm
by Coen
So while I'm waiting to get around to fixing up my paint booth and for my new airbrush to arrive, I did some more work on Ernst's panther G.
Hamilkar Barkar put me onto this stuff called Fimo Air Dry that is a modelling clay that ... well dries in the air.
Normally for the base of a diorama I'd use a Celluclay White mix, but I thought that I'd try this stuff.

The base before additions.
Image

After adding a 3-5mm thick layer of air dry clay and some really cool wintery trees that my Daughter found.
Image

After I added the track marks.
Image

Here's a video that I made while I worked on it.

[youtube]ZiHqgcMhLlQ[/youtube]

Re: Ernst Barkmann's Panther G Battle of the Bulge

Posted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:32 pm
by HamilkarBarkas
Looking very cool (shall i build a diorama for my 1:16 tiger aswell? your work really inspires me to do that hehe!).
I see you found similar modelling clay in Canada, would have been very strange if it was only available in Germany. It looks superb, but it can happen that it starts to crack at some spots - thats not a problem you can fill them again and again and you will end with a solid base.
I like the clay, easy to work with and the results are always rewarding. I´m looking forward to see the next progress on this stunning project my friend!

Re: Ernst Barkmann's Panther G Battle of the Bulge

Posted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:07 pm
by Coen
Thanks Hamilkar,
a 1/16th diorama...!!!!
You are a mad man!
That I would have to see.... I Dare You hahaha.

Re: Ernst Barkmann's Panther G Battle of the Bulge

Posted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:08 am
by RED
:shock: wow nice build so far Coen, cant wait to see this progress

Re: Ernst Barkmann's Panther G Battle of the Bulge

Posted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:36 am
by Coen
So here's what I managed to do yesterday.
I finished applying the Mr. Surfacer 500 and the Panther is now ready for paint.
My new airbrush arrived yesterday so I'll be giving that a whirl today sometime.


Image

Image

Image

Image


I took the flora foam base for the diorama and added the fake Fimo Air Dry to it. (the video is already posted above)
Then I added a few features afterwards.

Image

Image

Image

Image


I just checked and the base cracked as expected but nothing that I can't fix... I think.


Image

We'll see how well today progresses eh?

Re: Ernst Barkmann's Panther G Battle of the Bulge

Posted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:47 am
by Gav0909
Those cracks should be easy enough to fill, perhaps your normal filler rather than more clay would fill those, save risking getting any more cracks.

Re: Ernst Barkmann's Panther G Battle of the Bulge

Posted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:51 am
by Coen
I thought the same thing Gav, but after watching Hamilkar's videos about the stuff, I think that I can just add tiny amounts to fill them in.
I'll try it in a bit and we'll see.

Re: Ernst Barkmann's Panther G Battle of the Bulge

Posted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:46 pm
by SuperDryBeef
That would look great for some desert diorama, you are giving me an idea :).

Re: Ernst Barkmann's Panther G Battle of the Bulge

Posted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:26 pm
by Coen
I'm not sure if you could control the cracking to create the effect that you'd be looking for Mr. Beef, if you had just the right surface to attach the clay to maybe you could do it.
I think some experimentation would be in order.
You may be on to something Dude.

Re: Ernst Barkmann's Panther G Battle of the Bulge

Posted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:40 pm
by Tiger131
stunning panther it will look real at home on your superb base

Re: Ernst Barkmann's Panther G Battle of the Bulge

Posted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:21 am
by Coen
Tonight I managed to both play with my new airbrush and compressor, and paint the Panther in her red oxide primer coat.
It's not really red oxide of course, but I didn't have any flat black so I decided on a little experiment.
I'm going to try a full on hairspray and oil rendering to the Panther.
So after this coat dries I'll be spraying with two coats of treseme hairspray.
This could be fun... or absolutely terrible.

Which could be fun too.

Image

Oh... and here's a video.

[youtube]HKiL79C9NOM[/youtube]

Re: Ernst Barkmann's Panther G Battle of the Bulge

Posted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:15 am
by Paul
Great job coen, it really is a nice looking tank the panther

Re: Ernst Barkmann's Panther G Battle of the Bulge

Posted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:55 am
by spruecutter
It looks mean in red. Makes me wonder what it might have looked like if the Tank Aces were as bold as the WW1 pilots and painted their tanks to stand out, rather than camouflaged.

Re: Ernst Barkmann's Panther G Battle of the Bulge

Posted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:48 am
by Coen
Oh I think that they'd just be all dead. Not much value in red camo paint I would think. Unless you're on Mars.

Yes Paul... they're sleek and sexy.
I'll always love the block house fortress of the Tiger I myself, but the fast and dangerous Panther is a nice on the eyes.

Re: Ernst Barkmann's Panther G Battle of the Bulge

Posted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:16 pm
by SuperDryBeef
I must admit I skipped some parts :oops: , by the way why do you don't allow Youtube comments and likes?

Re: Ernst Barkmann's Panther G Battle of the Bulge

Posted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:49 pm
by HamilkarBarkas
I´m looking forward to see this chipping madness :) As i plan to do that with my HB tiger aswell i will watch your approach very closely.

Re: Ernst Barkmann's Panther G Battle of the Bulge

Posted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:37 am
by Coen
Thanks Hamilkar... don't watch too close though... I may do a horrible job.
I wouldn't want to turn you off the idea.
SuperDryBeef wrote:I must admit I skipped some parts :oops: , by the way why do you don't allow Youtube comments and likes?
Hey Mr. Beef, I never watch the whole things either, so don't feel bad.
I have the like/dislike thing enabled I just turned off the comments.

I'd prefer that the comments be made here on the forum or not at all.
It's you guys and your opinion that matter to me. and you guys are here.
I'm not interested people that I don't know and have stumbled on my channel on youtube leaving some rude comment.
The only comment that I really need on youtube is the like/dislike button.
Good question though.

Re: Ernst Barkmann's Panther G Battle of the Bulge

Posted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:17 am
by Coen
I managed to both paint the base a little and spray the first coat of hairspray on the Panther tonight.
I'm hoping that tomorrow I'll get to paint the camo on the panther and get some ground cover started on the base.
No promises though.

[youtube]eJ_id7KQqOM[/youtube]

[youtube]G_mIonXupiI[/youtube]

Re: Ernst Barkmann's Panther G Battle of the Bulge

Posted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:59 am
by Nige201980
Hi coen what is your YouTube channel would like to sub if that's ok

Re: Ernst Barkmann's Panther G Battle of the Bulge

Posted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:12 pm
by Coen
I think that this is it Nige
http://www.youtube.com/user/LordCoen?feature=watch
If that doesn't work I think that when you mouse over one of my posted videos the youtube name pops up on the lower right corner of the player. If you click on that a new tabs opens for the yuotube version of the video and you can do it there.
I think.

Re: Ernst Barkmann's Panther G Battle of the Bulge

Posted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:52 pm
by Nige201980
Cheers mate the link worked so all ok. I'm mainly on my iPhone so it just pops up with the video.
Ill have a proper look later when nothing is on tele.
Thanks again.

Re: Ernst Barkmann's Panther G Battle of the Bulge

Posted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:53 pm
by Coen
This mornings work was all about the base.
I started the initial ground cover (on video) then later I added a few pieces of bramble, small rocks and sticks (photo).
Tomorrow I hope that it will be dry enough to start the grass but it'll probably be a couple of days.
Tonight I plan on either painting the Panther's base camo and tri-colour scheme or I may base coat the Millennium Falcon.
If the kids are good... maybe I'll do both.

The Base before application of the ground cover.

Image

And after

Image

Here's the video of making the paste and the application.

[youtube]m533PxHVPak[/youtube]

Re: Ernst Barkmann's Panther G Battle of the Bulge

Posted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:58 pm
by T3hGuppy
Base is coming together really well :th:

Re: Ernst Barkmann's Panther G Battle of the Bulge

Posted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:23 pm
by Coen
Thanks Gupp...

So possible disaster last night.

I tried to spray on the main colour of the camo over the hairspray and the paint melted the hairspray before it could dry.
I tried a few different variations on paint, thinner, water, and nothing worked.
I ended up concluding that the issue was with the hairspray itself.
The type of hairspray that Michael Rinaldi uses is slightly different than the stuff that I'm using but he doesn't really say that it is all that important in his book, as long as the spray is fine enough.
Mine was.
So I had to wash the tank in the sink and try to melt off the rest of the HS in an attempt to save the tank.
The primer coat is now slightly crazed and I don't know if it will hold any paint.
I'm going to let it dry for a few days and then test paint a small area to see what happens.
So the project is on hold until then.
I can still work on the diorama though, I just may not have a tank to put on it in the end.

I just checked the panther this morning and it's mostly dry, so I may be able to do something with it this afternoon or tonight.
We'll see.

[youtube]yllYiSkrCKw[/youtube]

Re: Ernst Barkmann's Panther G Battle of the Bulge

Posted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:15 pm
by SuperDryBeef
You should buy AK interactive chipping fluid, it will work for sure and you won't have to look like weirdo buying hairspray when you don't have hair.

Re: Ernst Barkmann's Panther G Battle of the Bulge

Posted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:16 pm
by Coen
Hahhahhahah!!!! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
That one got one Beef.

I'm 6'2 and 285lbs and an ex bodybuilder... I look like a really angry cop most of the time.
Most folks don't even look at me, so looking like a weirdo probably would go unnoticed.

Good idea though.
I haven't tried any AK products.
I tend to prefer making my own stuff rather than buying factory made formulated stuff.
I'm an old fashioned fart of a cheapskate.
However.
I do have some Humbrol Maskol that I was thinking about trying out. :roll:

Re: Ernst Barkmann's Panther G Battle of the Bulge

Posted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:33 pm
by Nige201980
Base looks great mate really enjoyed your vid on the base so thank you for making it.

Re: Ernst Barkmann's Panther G Battle of the Bulge

Posted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:06 pm
by Coen
You're welcome Nige!

Well Disaster averted.

No hairspray technique unfortunately. There was too much damage done in the first attempt for me to try another.
I may use some Humbrol Maskol on some areas, but I'll probably just chip the old fashioned way.
I still plan on using the "Oil Paint Rendering" used in TankArt 1 and 2. That I know I can't screw up.
I managed to get the Dunkelgelb on this morning and there didn't seem to be too much of an issue.
I'm still debating with myself if I'm going to use any winter white wash.
It was used, but not by all. A lot of vehicle rolled into combat with just fresh tri-tone painted on.
Though no zimmerit was used on many of the AFV's that were new constructions during the Ardennes fighting, so I'm saved from having to apply that.
It's not my favourite part of German AFV building.
Here's a couple of pics of the yellow.
Tonight I'll do the rest of the camo.

Image

Image

Image

Image

It seems to be taking the paint fine.

Here is a brief blurb about the diorama setting.
from Wikipedia

Ardennes Offensive

Promoted to Oberscharführer, the rank he held to the end of the war, Barkmann continued his successful career and took part in the Ardennes Offensive in December 1944, where on December 25 he was seriously wounded. During the Ardennes Offensive, Barkmann's Panther Ausf G (Nr 401) drove into the group of American tanks from the US 2nd Armored Division. Despite being outnumbered, Barkmann managed to knock out a few Sherman tanks. One Sherman rammed Barkmann's Panther but did not cause much damage, although both tanks got stuck and the Panther's engine stalled. After a few minutes, Barkmann's mechanic managed to restart the engine and Panther retreated with a blocked turret. Despite the damage, Barkmann knocked out a pursuing Sherman and retreated to safety, although his Panther was beyond repair.

Re: Ernst Barkmann's Panther G Battle of the Bulge

Posted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:14 pm
by Nige201980
That great that you managed to fix the problem mate looking great so far.

Re: Ernst Barkmann's Panther G Battle of the Bulge

Posted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:29 pm
by SuperDryBeef
I don't know if it's your camera but it look green to me.

Re: Ernst Barkmann's Panther G Battle of the Bulge

Posted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:15 pm
by Coen
It's the lighting and the camera actually. I'd have to cool off the pic in photoshop for it to reflect the real colour. The lights are daylight bulbs, but the camera automatically warms all my shots. It's old.

There ya go beef... I cooled off the pics a bit. Still not perfect but better.

Re: Ernst Barkmann's Panther G Battle of the Bulge

Posted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 2:30 am
by SuperDryBeef
You didn't had to do this , you could have just said its the camera I would understand it.

Re: Ernst Barkmann's Panther G Battle of the Bulge

Posted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 3:15 am
by Coen
I didn't mind.
I didn't like it much either. I hadn't really noticed until you pointed it out.
I'm glad that you did.
Now I'm happy with it.
:D

Re: Ernst Barkmann's Panther G Battle of the Bulge

Posted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 3:25 am
by Coen
In case anyone is interested Lucky model just announced that they'll be stocking a Panther A in 1/25 by Tamiya soon. It's for pre-release I think.

http://www.luckymodel.com/scale.aspx?item_no=TA%2030612

Re: Ernst Barkmann's Panther G Battle of the Bulge

Posted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 4:48 am
by Coen
Last night's progress... I was a very busy lad... and apparently very chatty
Sorry about that.
I talk a lot when I'm in a good mood.

[youtube]tcuhR461Gyk[/youtube]

[youtube]z5ApyZNJwV8[/youtube]

[youtube]AplewPCDKhM[/youtube]

Re: Ernst Barkmann's Panther G Battle of the Bulge

Posted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:04 am
by T3hGuppy
Great update.

Nice to see videos like this that show the whole process not just the highlights reel :th:

Re: Ernst Barkmann's Panther G Battle of the Bulge

Posted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:32 am
by Coen
I'm glad... it does make them long though and dull.
Finding something to blather on about while your making them isn't easy either.

Re: Ernst Barkmann's Panther G Battle of the Bulge

Posted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:57 am
by Paul
Coen wrote:I'm glad... it does make them long though and dull.
Finding something to blather on about while your making them isn't easy either.
Anyone who can talk about modelling while actually modelling has respect from me, not easy to do while your concentrating at all. It does get easier the more you do though.