Eduard Danger Zone F-14A

User avatar
JonMW
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Posts: 987
Joined: Sat Jan 18, 2014 2:45 pm
Location: Stockholm Sweden
Sweden

Eduard Danger Zone F-14A

Post by JonMW »

For this SIG I'll be building Eduards limited edition Danger Zone kit. All the plastic is from Hobby Boss and then Eduard added some resin, PE and decals. Also bought some more PE from Eduard for it to add some more details.

Image
The box

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image
The plastic sprues, there is a lot of plastic in this kit.

Image
The PE included in the kit, nose cone and masks.

Image
Two decal sheets.

Image
The hamster coffin.

Image
Resin parts

Image
Extra PE and fabric seatbelts.

Just a few more days until I can start this, can hardly wait.
User avatar
DaveTheMinion
Corporal
Corporal
Posts: 93
Joined: Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:36 am
Location: South Wales
Wales

Re: Eduard Danger Zone F-14A

Post by DaveTheMinion »

I have the same kit, but wont be starting my build for a couple of months yet, that will give me time to see how you get on and nick your ideas :nena:

Where did you buy the extra PE and seatbelts from?

looking forward to your build
all the best
Dave
Old Age: More experience but can't remember it..

Under Construction

1:72 HMS Victory.
1:250 IJN Akagi.
User avatar
LudvigN
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
Posts: 641
Joined: Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:07 pm
Location: Göteborg, Sweden
Sweden

Re: Eduard Danger Zone F-14A

Post by LudvigN »

Loads of goodies! Looks like an epic build. Jag har samma kniv! :)
Ludvig :cheers2:

On the bench:
Airfix 1/72 A-4 Skyhawk
Italeri EH-101 Merlin HAS.1 (Whirlybird SIG)

Last one finished:
Bandai 1/72 A-Wing Gallery
User avatar
Lego
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Posts: 918
Joined: Fri Nov 08, 2013 6:16 pm
Location: Ireland
Ireland

Re: Eduard Danger Zone F-14A

Post by Lego »

Ha ha the knife out for the pe when you decide to end it all.

:pop:
“Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.”
User avatar
Paul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 12622
Joined: Thu May 23, 2013 4:47 pm
Location: Merseyside, England, UK
Contact:
England

Re: Eduard Danger Zone F-14A

Post by Paul »

Lego wrote:Ha ha the knife out for the pe when you decide to end it all.

:pop:
Lmao

Great kit hoping to start mine for this build too :thumb2:
1001kjk
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Posts: 237
Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:42 pm
Location: Warwickshire
Great Britain

Re: Eduard Danger Zone F-14A

Post by 1001kjk »

I to am lucky enough to have this in the stash and will bookmark and join you for the "journey" :th:
It's not the number of times you get knocked down but how many times you get back up
User avatar
RoscoRSA
Corporal
Corporal
Posts: 91
Joined: Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:08 am
Location: South Africa

Re: Eduard Danger Zone F-14A

Post by RoscoRSA »

If you don't mind me asking, what Livery are you going to go with?

I have the Academy 1:48 Tomcat in the VF-111 Sundowners Livery (Cartograf Decals) that I am going to enter into this SiG.
On the bench:

Tamiya 1:48 MIG-15

On Hold
Academy 1:48 F-86 Saber
User avatar
DaveTheMinion
Corporal
Corporal
Posts: 93
Joined: Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:36 am
Location: South Wales
Wales

Re: Eduard Danger Zone F-14A

Post by DaveTheMinion »

Here are your music choices for building this model...

Open the box



For when you start work on the PE parts



For when you have successfully picked up all the parts from the floor, your wounds are healing and you can see again.....

Old Age: More experience but can't remember it..

Under Construction

1:72 HMS Victory.
1:250 IJN Akagi.
User avatar
JonMW
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Posts: 987
Joined: Sat Jan 18, 2014 2:45 pm
Location: Stockholm Sweden
Sweden

Re: Eduard Danger Zone F-14A

Post by JonMW »

I got all the extra stuff from Eduard. Not sure what livery I'm going to do, I think either Sundowners or Jolly Rogers.

I think I'll enjoy this build even if it didn't start off to well. Was looking though the parts for the cockpit and saw this.

Image

Half of the back wall is missing, guess they didn't inject all the plastic needed. So I will be sending Eduard en e-mail and asking for a replacement.
User avatar
gaz45
Chief Warrant Officer 3
Chief Warrant Officer 3
Posts: 1971
Joined: Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:35 pm
Location: Nottingham uk
Great Britain

Re: Eduard Danger Zone F-14A

Post by gaz45 »

I have this kit but not sure i have the confidence to do it justice at the moment so will be watching this build
User avatar
EasyEight96
Sergeant Major of the Army
Sergeant Major of the Army
Posts: 1012
Joined: Sat Jul 20, 2013 2:04 pm
Location: Malaysia
Malaysia

Re: Eduard Danger Zone F-14A

Post by EasyEight96 »

Nice choice the title of the box say's it all now I'm busy listening to the song lol
In -progress

Too many on the bench!!!

Matchbox Kits lover....
User avatar
JonMW
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Posts: 987
Joined: Sat Jan 18, 2014 2:45 pm
Location: Stockholm Sweden
Sweden

Re: Eduard Danger Zone F-14A

Post by JonMW »

Finally got the replacement cockpit from Eduard so now I have been able to get started on this. Started off by removing all the molded in details that will be replaced by the PE using a small chisel and then sanding it smooth using some Thinny Sticks. The Hobby Boss parts are really nice and would build up to a well detailed cockpit and then the PE adds that little extra. Every thing fits really well. Next up will be the front landing gear bay and then I can get painting.

Image

Image

Image

Image
robertw
First Sergeant
First Sergeant
Posts: 509
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:36 am
Location: West Virginia, USA

Re: Eduard Danger Zone F-14A

Post by robertw »

Just don't do what I done and forgot to put the landing gear bays in before you put the fuselage halves together... Ruined it and had to buy another kit.
I build bad models so you can feel good about yourself! :th:
User avatar
m0gb0y74
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Posts: 165
Joined: Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:04 pm
Location: Dumfries, Scotland
Contact:

Re: Eduard Danger Zone F-14A

Post by m0gb0y74 »

gaz45 wrote:I have this kit but not sure i have the confidence to do it justice at the moment so will be watching this build
Same here :lol:
User avatar
JonMW
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Posts: 987
Joined: Sat Jan 18, 2014 2:45 pm
Location: Stockholm Sweden
Sweden

Re: Eduard Danger Zone F-14A

Post by JonMW »

Thanks for the warning, I was looking at that for a wile and saw that it would be a big problem not to put the landing gear bay in before gluing the half's together. I have gotten the cockpit painted and finished, used Model Air 046 for the overall color and then some flat black and Khaki. The back part where given a Ultimate Concrete wash, the other back parts where dry brushed in a light grey and finally I applied a dark enamel wash to all the parts.

Image

Image

Image

Image

Not sure if this will be a tail sitter or not, there is nothing in the instructions. But just to be on the safe side I added a few scrap nuts to the front and glued them in using CA glue.

Image
User avatar
RoscoRSA
Corporal
Corporal
Posts: 91
Joined: Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:08 am
Location: South Africa

Re: Eduard Danger Zone F-14A

Post by RoscoRSA »

This is starting to really look great.

As for it being a tail sitter, it isn't, but you can never be to safe :thumb2:
On the bench:

Tamiya 1:48 MIG-15

On Hold
Academy 1:48 F-86 Saber
User avatar
JonMW
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Posts: 987
Joined: Sat Jan 18, 2014 2:45 pm
Location: Stockholm Sweden
Sweden

Re: Eduard Danger Zone F-14A

Post by JonMW »

Thanks!

Time for a small update. I had to trim some of the PE parts for the air brakes to make them fit which I thought was a bit strange.

Image

Image

After seeing Paul using the Tamiya Extra thin and sprue mix for filler I thought I would give it a try. I used this method something like 15 years ago when my local hobby shop couldn't get any good filler for some reason. But at that time I didn't have TET so I used some other glue, and I hated it. It never dried was hard to put on and just didn't work. But now with TET I found it working really well, so thanks to Paul for the tip.

Image

Got the fuselage glued together, the front part and stabilizers are just dry fitted for now to make it easier to rescribe some of the lines. This thing has a pretty good size.

Image

Image
User avatar
rwsmith14
Sergeant Major of the Army
Sergeant Major of the Army
Posts: 1277
Joined: Thu Jun 05, 2014 1:24 am
Location: Aledo, TX, USA
United States of America

Re: Eduard Danger Zone F-14A

Post by rwsmith14 »

NIce looking Cockpit !!! she's looking good !! :thumb2:
Image
User avatar
shortCummins
Chief Warrant Officer 2
Chief Warrant Officer 2
Posts: 1646
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:30 pm
Location: Cotgrave, Nottingham
Great Britain

Re: Eduard Danger Zone F-14A

Post by shortCummins »

wow, she looks huge, nice job so far :th:

rgds
John(shortCummins)
"I'm tall for my height" - "it looks like it was painted by a blind chimpanzee"
User avatar
m0gb0y74
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Posts: 165
Joined: Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:04 pm
Location: Dumfries, Scotland
Contact:

Re: Eduard Danger Zone F-14A

Post by m0gb0y74 »

Looks awesome - I can see me losing all those small bits of etch though!
User avatar
JonMW
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Posts: 987
Joined: Sat Jan 18, 2014 2:45 pm
Location: Stockholm Sweden
Sweden

Re: Eduard Danger Zone F-14A

Post by JonMW »

Thanks for the comments!
User avatar
JonMW
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Posts: 987
Joined: Sat Jan 18, 2014 2:45 pm
Location: Stockholm Sweden
Sweden

Re: Eduard Danger Zone F-14A

Post by JonMW »

A bit more work. The underside of the ailerons don't have any details at all, but should have some panel lines.

Image

So I used 3M fine line tape to make a guide for the scriber. The tape is pretty thick plastic and if you are careful works well as a guide.

Image

Image

And a bit more PE.

Image

Image

The fit of most parts is really nice, but then there are some places that have big gaps like this.

Image

It's a bit better you push it in, but there is still a gap, so that will need some filling.
User avatar
Nige201980
Captain
Captain
Posts: 4095
Joined: Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:30 am
Location: Doncaster South Yorkshire UK
Contact:

Re: Eduard Danger Zone F-14A

Post by Nige201980 »

Cracking work mate loving that PE gun bay.
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCy-TGcs5u_ZXSZ9kObNfsPg


On the go at the Mo

Quite a few :banana:
User avatar
JonMW
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Posts: 987
Joined: Sat Jan 18, 2014 2:45 pm
Location: Stockholm Sweden
Sweden

Re: Eduard Danger Zone F-14A

Post by JonMW »

Thanks!

Its ready for paint, well mostly I managed to loose two parts, both of them took a flight from the tweezers across the room. So I think I'll have to scratch something to replace them.

Image
User avatar
mincemeat
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
Posts: 702
Joined: Sat Jun 14, 2014 9:14 pm
Location: MN, USA
United States of America

Re: Eduard Danger Zone F-14A

Post by mincemeat »

That's a mighty fine aircraft you have there sir. Can't wait to see it painted!
Current Builds
Mk. A Whippet: http://www.intscalemodeller.com/viewtop ... 29&t=21073
Panzer IV Ausf D Buddy Build with SteveAFV: http://www.intscalemodeller.com/viewtop ... 29&t=19653
User avatar
Homerlovesbeer
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Posts: 804
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:50 am
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Australia

Re: Eduard Danger Zone F-14A

Post by Homerlovesbeer »

Looking REALLY good! My kit is tempting me now....hmmmm
User avatar
JonMW
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Posts: 987
Joined: Sat Jan 18, 2014 2:45 pm
Location: Stockholm Sweden
Sweden

Re: Eduard Danger Zone F-14A

Post by JonMW »

Thanks!

Have added the two parts that flew off. Pretty simple parts, made them from some sheet sanded to shape.

Image

Image
User avatar
ladip63
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Posts: 170
Joined: Sat May 16, 2015 12:53 am

Re: Eduard Danger Zone F-14A

Post by ladip63 »

Looking good. That cockpit is awesome. I'm going to have to get this kit!
Lynn

On the table cause I don't have a bench :banana:
What to start working on now???? SMCG Phantastic Phantom Buddy Build 2017
Metal Earth R2D2
User avatar
JonMW
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Posts: 987
Joined: Sat Jan 18, 2014 2:45 pm
Location: Stockholm Sweden
Sweden

Re: Eduard Danger Zone F-14A

Post by JonMW »

Thanks!

Got it primered and preshaded today, with a bit of luck I should have the first coat of paint on tomorrow.

Image
User avatar
MarkVerploeg
Major
Major
Posts: 4837
Joined: Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:21 am
Location: Oss, Noord Braband The Netherlands
Netherlands

Re: Eduard Danger Zone F-14A

Post by MarkVerploeg »

Some very nice work you have got there :clap:
I have this kit too and i went crazy and got me the other pe aswell
Are you using the weapons set aswell that is advertised on the back of the instructions?
On the bench
GB builds
1/35 Trumpeter M1132 ESV

Personal builds
1/35 Hobby Boss M1070 tractor with M1000 semi trailer and Meng M1A2 TUSK II Abrams
1/35 Takom V2 rocket with the Meillerwagen and SS100 tractor
User avatar
JonMW
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Posts: 987
Joined: Sat Jan 18, 2014 2:45 pm
Location: Stockholm Sweden
Sweden

Re: Eduard Danger Zone F-14A

Post by JonMW »

MarkVerploeg wrote:Some very nice work you have got there :clap:
I have this kit too and i went crazy and got me the other pe aswell
Are you using the weapons set aswell that is advertised on the back of the instructions?
Thanks, No I will just go with the ones included in the kit, I think they look pretty good.
User avatar
MarkVerploeg
Major
Major
Posts: 4837
Joined: Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:21 am
Location: Oss, Noord Braband The Netherlands
Netherlands

Re: Eduard Danger Zone F-14A

Post by MarkVerploeg »

I think the kit missles are good like you say
I just got the set out of pure lazyness so i don't have a lot of sanding to do on them
On the bench
GB builds
1/35 Trumpeter M1132 ESV

Personal builds
1/35 Hobby Boss M1070 tractor with M1000 semi trailer and Meng M1A2 TUSK II Abrams
1/35 Takom V2 rocket with the Meillerwagen and SS100 tractor
User avatar
JonMW
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Posts: 987
Joined: Sat Jan 18, 2014 2:45 pm
Location: Stockholm Sweden
Sweden

Re: Eduard Danger Zone F-14A

Post by JonMW »

You know what my superiors told me when I was in the army? "A lazy soldier is a smart soldier", so I guess you're the smarter one ;)

Got the grey and the yellow painted today, will wait a few days before I start masking for the black to make sure the paint is fully cured.

Image
User avatar
JonMW
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Posts: 987
Joined: Sat Jan 18, 2014 2:45 pm
Location: Stockholm Sweden
Sweden

Re: Eduard Danger Zone F-14A

Post by JonMW »

Got the rest of the paints on as well as the first coat of clear. I had some problems with paint pulling off in a few spots, but I managed to fix it so it's not too noticeable. Next up is decals.

Image
User avatar
shortCummins
Chief Warrant Officer 2
Chief Warrant Officer 2
Posts: 1646
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:30 pm
Location: Cotgrave, Nottingham
Great Britain

Re: Eduard Danger Zone F-14A

Post by shortCummins »

wow, that splash of black and yellow really bing her together :clap:

rgds
John(shortCummins)
"I'm tall for my height" - "it looks like it was painted by a blind chimpanzee"
User avatar
kiwigav
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer
Posts: 1425
Joined: Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:38 am
Location: Nelson - New Zealand
New Zealand

Re: Eduard Danger Zone F-14A

Post by kiwigav »

Sweet looking machine. Nice build :th:
Cheers Gav

On The Bench OK where do I start :wtf:
User avatar
MarkVerploeg
Major
Major
Posts: 4837
Joined: Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:21 am
Location: Oss, Noord Braband The Netherlands
Netherlands

Re: Eduard Danger Zone F-14A

Post by MarkVerploeg »

Nice paintjob Jon
There is no doubt from wich unit it is now
I will paint mine in the same colors when i build mine
Just to match the Phantom i have
Keep up the good work
On the bench
GB builds
1/35 Trumpeter M1132 ESV

Personal builds
1/35 Hobby Boss M1070 tractor with M1000 semi trailer and Meng M1A2 TUSK II Abrams
1/35 Takom V2 rocket with the Meillerwagen and SS100 tractor
User avatar
mincemeat
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
Posts: 702
Joined: Sat Jun 14, 2014 9:14 pm
Location: MN, USA
United States of America

Re: Eduard Danger Zone F-14A

Post by mincemeat »

Beautifully done!
Current Builds
Mk. A Whippet: http://www.intscalemodeller.com/viewtop ... 29&t=21073
Panzer IV Ausf D Buddy Build with SteveAFV: http://www.intscalemodeller.com/viewtop ... 29&t=19653
User avatar
Homerlovesbeer
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Posts: 804
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:50 am
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Australia

Re: Eduard Danger Zone F-14A

Post by Homerlovesbeer »

Looking REALLY nice Jon! How did you go fixing the gaps underneath where the nose joins the fuselage?

Any pics as that was quite a decent gap to fill....
User avatar
JonMW
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Posts: 987
Joined: Sat Jan 18, 2014 2:45 pm
Location: Stockholm Sweden
Sweden

Re: Eduard Danger Zone F-14A

Post by JonMW »

Thanks for the comments! I totally forgot to take any pictures of the gap beeing filled. But I used sheets of plastic pushed down in the gap and then trimmed and sanded to shape. Can't remember if I used Tamiya putty or molten sprue to smooth it out. It's pretty much the same method I used on my Ju-88 and I did take some pictures of that.

Have done a bit more work, the fuselage is glued together. There is a big gap on the bottom between the two halves of the fuselage and the lower part.

Image

There is also a hole on the top of the fuselage.

Image

I didn't want to just use filler as this would most likely shrink over time and leave a mart. To solve this I cut a piece from a sheet of styrene a bit thicker than the width of the gap (maybe 0,05mm). The small notch on one of the sides is to clear a tab that locates the lower part of the fuselage.

Image

This was then pushed in to the gap and glued in place using Tamiya thin cement. The piece was made quite big so that I could get a good grip of it and really push it all the way in.

Image

Cut it down with a knife.

Image

And finished off with some sanding sticks. It will still need a bit of filler, but still a lot less than what would be needed to fill the gap.

Image
User avatar
mincemeat
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
Posts: 702
Joined: Sat Jun 14, 2014 9:14 pm
Location: MN, USA
United States of America

Re: Eduard Danger Zone F-14A

Post by mincemeat »

Very nicely done. I had to do something similar with a Revell Stuka. The elevators were just to be slid in a large wobbly hole. Shimmed it with some styrene strips, some extra thin, trim, putty sand, gone.
Current Builds
Mk. A Whippet: http://www.intscalemodeller.com/viewtop ... 29&t=21073
Panzer IV Ausf D Buddy Build with SteveAFV: http://www.intscalemodeller.com/viewtop ... 29&t=19653
wesleye18
Sergeant
Sergeant
Posts: 159
Joined: Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:29 pm
Location: Newtown,Powys,United Kingdom
Wales

Re: Eduard Danger Zone F-14A

Post by wesleye18 »

looks really nice man! :)
User avatar
JonMW
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Posts: 987
Joined: Sat Jan 18, 2014 2:45 pm
Location: Stockholm Sweden
Sweden

Re: Eduard Danger Zone F-14A

Post by JonMW »

Thanks!

Managed to get all the decals on. It's really nice to use Cartograf, they all fit and conform really well.

Image
1001kjk
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Posts: 237
Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:42 pm
Location: Warwickshire
Great Britain

Re: Eduard Danger Zone F-14A

Post by 1001kjk »

Looking good :thumb1:
It's not the number of times you get knocked down but how many times you get back up
User avatar
gaz45
Chief Warrant Officer 3
Chief Warrant Officer 3
Posts: 1971
Joined: Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:35 pm
Location: Nottingham uk
Great Britain

Re: Eduard Danger Zone F-14A

Post by gaz45 »

Great work there mate im looking forward to starting mine
User avatar
JonMW
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Posts: 987
Joined: Sat Jan 18, 2014 2:45 pm
Location: Stockholm Sweden
Sweden

Re: Eduard Danger Zone F-14A

Post by JonMW »

It's getting close to done! Got pretty much all the detail painting done, next up will be final weathering and clear coats and then seats and weapons.

Image

Painted the engines in AK Xtreme Metal Jet Exhaust followed by a light dusting of Burned Metal and finished with a but if Tamiya transparent blue at the edge.

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

As it stands now.
Howard
Private First Class
Private First Class
Posts: 37
Joined: Tue May 26, 2015 9:28 am
Location: Warboys, Cambridgeshire
Great Britain

Re: Eduard Danger Zone F-14A

Post by Howard »

Wow!! How darn good does that Turkey look!

Awesome job

Howard
User avatar
kiwigav
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer
Posts: 1425
Joined: Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:38 am
Location: Nelson - New Zealand
New Zealand

Re: Eduard Danger Zone F-14A

Post by kiwigav »

Very cool, got some xtreme metal on order...looking forward to it. Nice finish :th:
Cheers Gav

On The Bench OK where do I start :wtf:
User avatar
Ads24
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
Posts: 224
Joined: Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:27 am
Location: Warwickshire, UK

Re: Eduard Danger Zone F-14A

Post by Ads24 »

Looks absolutely stunning, mate.
On the bench:
Revell 1/48 Eurofighter Typhoon 'Bronze Tiger'
Revell 1/32 Hawker Hunter
User avatar
JonMW
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Posts: 987
Joined: Sat Jan 18, 2014 2:45 pm
Location: Stockholm Sweden
Sweden

Re: Eduard Danger Zone F-14A

Post by JonMW »

Thanks for the comments!!
Post Reply

Return to “Jet Aircraft”