Page 1 of 1
Tamiya 35216 Tiger 1
Posted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:11 am
by Canulus
Hi. This is my second tank that i made. I thought i would go for the easy desert camo since i do not have airbrush and rely on spraycans to apply the overall paint. The only experience i have from earlier is with airplanes in 1/72 scale so going up to a larger scale is for me much easier and more fun in terms of details.
This will be short and sweet so here goes.
The entire Imgur album can be found here:
I started out the easy way by just gluing up all the parts that were needed. The sidefenders was split apart, dented and glued on. The covers over the exhaustpipes was heated up by a soldering iron and dented before i applied the layer of rust paint. After the layer of rust i applied Maskol over the rust to get the peeling and flaking effect.
I applied a light cover of gray primer over the entire model and then applied maskol over the primer. Again to achieve the proper flaking effect.
I then proceeded to paint the entire model with Tamiya TS46 - Light sand. I know i could have gone with the dark yellow as they usually did but i think it turned out nicely. I then peeled of some of the maskol over the exhaust covers and went berserk with an old dried up brush to remove the maskol over the rest of the model.
The effect came out better than i could have imagined, so the only thing left to do was to applied the dark mig wash so that the color would be more like the dark yellow color used originally.
I mocked up a figur for the tank but the original plan is to get the Tamiya tank crew with engine so the engine hatch is loose. I also need some soot for the exhaust and the end of the gun but other than that i would say that the tank is looking mighty fine being my second project.
Any tips and ideas for weathering a tank that has been used in Tunisia would be much appreciated
The current status and look of the tank is this:

Re: Tamiya 35216 Tiger 1
Posted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 4:33 pm
by Coen
That's a fine looking tiger Canulus.
Painting with rattle cans and brushes alone is no easy task. Well done on that front bud.
The further weathering can be done with some oil washes and maybe a filter if you think that it's needed.
After that you can look at some pigments (ground chalk dust, or the more expensive over the counter products) attached to you model with some watered down white glue or with some Tamiya x20a thinner if you have some. You can also use the dedicated pigment fixtures if you want to go whole hog.
Re: Tamiya 35216 Tiger 1
Posted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:01 pm
by Canulus
Coen wrote:That's a fine looking tiger Canulus.
Painting with rattle cans and brushes alone is no easy task. Well done on that front bud.
The further weathering can be done with some oil washes and maybe a filter if you think that it's needed.
After that you can look at some pigments (ground chalk dust, or the more expensive over the counter products) attached to you model with some watered down white glue or with some Tamiya x20a thinner if you have some. You can also use the dedicated pigment fixtures if you want to go whole hog.
Thank you Coen

I do have the entire Mig dark mud pigment set. Might consider going halfway full hog with it. It looked nice on my M4A3E8 at least.
Re: Tamiya 35216 Tiger 1
Posted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:13 am
by Canulus
Re: Tamiya 35216 Tiger 1
Posted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 1:10 pm
by Coen
That's looking proper awesome now bud. Nicely done!!
You should really be using something like photobucket to host your pics on the forum bud, that way you can upload more than three pics at a time and they're all sized correctly automatically. They also won't strain the forum like attachment photos do.
Here's a link to how to use it and how to attach vids to your posts if you choose to.
http://www.intscalemodeller.com/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=22
Re: Tamiya 35216 Tiger 1
Posted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 1:29 pm
by Canulus
Coen wrote:That's looking proper awesome now bud. Nicely done!!
You should really be using something like photobucket to host your pics on the forum bud, that way you can upload more than three pics at a time and they're all sized correctly automatically. They also won't strain the forum like attachment photos do.
Here's a link to how to use it and how to attach vids to your posts if you choose to.
http://www.intscalemodeller.com/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=22
Thanks for the tip. I have fixxed it now

Re: Tamiya 35216 Tiger 1
Posted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 5:20 pm
by Hillbilly
Looks great to me.

Using a rattle can and paint brushes is a tough way to go but you pulled it off nicely.

Re: Tamiya 35216 Tiger 1
Posted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 5:36 pm
by Canulus
Hillbilly wrote:Looks great to me.

Using a rattle can and paint brushes is a tough way to go but you pulled it off nicely.

Thank you very much Hillbilly

I am looking into getting a cheap airbrush for starters just so i can speed up the painting process and go for more advanced builds with interior and advance camo patterns.
Re: Tamiya 35216 Tiger 1
Posted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 8:23 pm
by mannloon
That looks really good with all that mud on the tracks...I am too cautious on pigments. Inspiring me to make a muddy Tiger new guy.
Re: Tamiya 35216 Tiger 1
Posted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 9:39 pm
by Canulus
mannloon wrote:That looks really good with all that mud on the tracks...I am too cautious on pigments. Inspiring me to make a muddy Tiger new guy.

Bring the mud, it's good for you
Re: Tamiya 35216 Tiger 1
Posted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 2:10 pm
by FireManSam
That's really awesome! Very nice job. I'm hoping my first tank will look as good as this one, I haven't made a model since I was 15 I'm now 22. Awesome job again.
Re: Tamiya 35216 Tiger 1
Posted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 2:53 pm
by martin57
lovely job nice paint work

Re: Tamiya 35216 Tiger 1
Posted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 3:47 pm
by burnie43
really nice
thanks for sharing
Mark
Re: Tamiya 35216 Tiger 1
Posted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 3:53 pm
by OliveDrab
Very nice looking Tiger

Thats an interesting chipping technique also!
Re: Tamiya 35216 Tiger 1
Posted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:25 am
by Canulus
FireManSam wrote:That's really awesome! Very nice job. I'm hoping my first tank will look as good as this one, I haven't made a model since I was 15 I'm now 22. Awesome job again.
You'll get there

When in doubt, apply Maskol
Re: Tamiya 35216 Tiger 1
Posted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 3:42 pm
by Panthie
Looks very realistic

Re: Tamiya 35216 Tiger 1
Posted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:08 pm
by Sturm
D.A.K Tigers! LOVE THEM!!!!!
Re: Tamiya 35216 Tiger 1
Posted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:25 pm
by martin57
Great work well done to you
Re: Tamiya 35216 Tiger 1
Posted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 6:45 am
by Jscale32
Well done on the chipping effects!
Re: Tamiya 35216 Tiger 1
Posted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:04 am
by Stokesy44
Very nice looking big Cat, awesome work.
Re: Tamiya 35216 Tiger 1
Posted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 3:59 am
by d6mst0
Really nice job you did there. She looks like she really been in the thick of things.
Re: Tamiya 35216 Tiger 1
Posted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:03 am
by Stokesy44
Quality looking workmanship Sir, inspirational even!!
Re: Tamiya 35216 Tiger 1
Posted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:44 am
by JudgeDredd
Fantastic model. Well weathered.